Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

The Kings might have an actual functioning modern front office for the first time ever
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1316199071191793667

the fact that i don’t recognize any of those names besides wilcox and all of them come from organizations with a pretty good drafting history is pretty encouraging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

Both out of print, unfortunately, though you can buy used

dang i have some collector's items now

i don't have a proper scanner but if there's a goon out there who does and wants to immortalize it on the pages of the internet let me know so that future generations will understand why a bunch of middle aged dudes get all misty eyed about that guy who tried to stick up another nba player who then later accidentally shot a woman while trying to shoot another separate guy who stole from him

edit: the shea serrano book is very good and in a very similar vein to macrophenomenal

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 14, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bill russell is likely the greatest defensive player to ever do it and he also averaged 4 assists a game back when that poo poo was hard to do

that being said, it's hard to compare players across era, especially statistically, but even for his era, bill russell was not great on offense. bill russell was not gonna take over a game and win it for you by putting up a bunch of points. but the biggest strike against bill is that he wasn't even the best player at his position when he was playing and if you say he was because of head2head record i swear to god i'll fight you over the internet

we can't ever have the bill russell discussion without mentioning wilt, and it's a bit reductive, but wilt chamberlain could become bill russell if he had to. bill russell could never be wilt chamberlain. that's sort of like the end of the discussion for me. it's not fair to bill, and i like bill a lot, i think he's a super cool old guy, but he's not even in the top 3 players of the 1960s much less the goat

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if more than 50% of NBA titles have Auerbach or West's fingerprints somewhere on them.

i'd say it's closer to 60% and if you include gregg popovich and phil jackson it's about 95% (shout out to joe dumars and lenny wilkens)

in terms of the coaching trees, personnel decisions, and just guys who played under them or had close personal and professional ties to them, it's a pretty wide loving web that includes all of the heat titles, the celtics title, all the lakers titles from 1972-2010, and the last 16 nba title teams

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Whoa, strong disagree here. I...mostly....agree with what you said about Wilt (although I think you are still undervaluing Russells defense in an era where no one could shoot), but while Russell vs Big O is questionable, Russell really should be considered better than Jerry West.

Like, I get Russell played for a great team, but he was also the best player of a great team, by a whole helluva lot.

jerry west is really, really, really good. he's not the logo just because the nba is a racist institution. he was a true two-way player and had basically zero holes in his game as one of the best shooters, scorers, and passers that the game has ever seen

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

So, Bill Russell is like if Draymond caught the delorean back to the bad old days and dominated.

i did not say this, you said it, i am simply not going to dispute it with the understanding that what i wrote could easily be interpreted to arrive at that conclusion and that you wouldn't necessarily be wrong but

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Bill Russell is a much better person than Draymond tho.

this is important; it is very difficult to imagine draymond marching for civil rights

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

I don't think Russell is all that close to being the best basketball player of all time but he is undeniably cool as hell

this, he's my favorite celtic of all time

that thread led me to this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oh cool so this is a trial balloon for a move that they've already decided on unless everyone freaks out

i wonder if morey is woj's new inside guy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’m gonna feel bad if this guy has like a learning disability or something so i’m gonna hold my tongue here

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

but that’s not the bulls??

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

rip morey you got your man and then you got your man again and it didn’t work out so then you tried to get a series of other men and well you still got the first guy so that’s good but i guess you don’t have a lot to show for it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morey did a pretty good job of keeping the team afloat and building around harden and if chris paul wasn’t a bajillion years old and a total buzzkill maybe they get over the hump, who knows

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

pacers are closing in on chris finch

sucks chauncey and stack never got a shot anywhere :smith:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

looks like it’s gonna be finch then unless chris quinn or dan craig (both from the hear) knock it out of the park in their interviews

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's true. I think Hinkie is blackballed though

he was the bad kind of mean to gms unlike morey who was the good kind of mean to gms

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Paul loves to bump against a mans chest and wiggle. it works for him

I'm glad we got a basketball tournament in the summer, but I'm sad there's not going to be an "autumn league" sort of replacement for summer league. Where's the fringe basketball going to come from, Australia?

the nbl isn’t getting started until january unfortunately

if you’re a real degenerate you can check out the japanese b.league which is supposed to start this month

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

simmons has a lot of access and clout so he gets great interview subjects but he's a dipshit who's convinced of his own greatness so he's an awful loving interviewer

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

a new study bible! posted:

I wouldn't gently caress with Bobby Portis

but his eyes look so friendly and inviting

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

Lowe has a pretty good obit of Morey’s run up but the biggest takeaways are that Morey wants another NBA job and that he’s hurling Fertitta under the bus on the Westbrook trade

on one hand, i totally believe that

on the other hand, throwing your boss under the bus in a very public way is not a very good way to audition for a new job

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gerund posted:

Zach Lowe's Morey piece is pretty Harden-centric, but good

Harden is the star, of course, and it does do a decent job of showing how we got here, but its more than a little friendly to Morey and amazingly absent of Mike D'Antoni except to quote him about how hard it is to play with Harden. Tilman gets a sparse mention too.

one thing i didn’t like about the article was this line:

quote:

Harden has become the only constant. He isn't the center of Houston's universe so much as he comprises the entire universe. They get the players he wants and trade away those whose relationships with Harden fray -- no matter the cost.

like, yeah, that last part is the “oh gee that’s the westbrook trade that explains everything!!” but it leaves out that chris paul didn’t like playing with harden either. i also doubt that morey was just posted up, hands firmly under rear end pinned to a chair, waiting to be told who harden would like to have brought on the team, and that capela trade that left them with no centers under contract going into 2021 is probably not what harden’s ideal vision would be

i know we are all contractually obligated to frame things this way in “the era of player empowerment” but i think it’s dumb to suggest that the rockets are somehow uniquely beholden to james harden in a way that, say, the lakers are not bound to do whatever lebron wants or the bucks don’t have to defer to giannis on their team direction

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is that the dude who got fired from ESPN for getting naked and breaking into some random persons house?

he was only suspended for it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

The answer to this is: JJ went to Duke.

right

god that place is the loving worst

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i imagine the next season is probably gonna be in a bubble as well just because cases are still spiking and vaccines won't be here for another year and a half at the very earliest

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

russ is the kind of hustling try hard that thibs is madly in love with, i bet they could gut out 45 wins together

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

It depends whether you interpret the question as 'underrated/overrated by NBA followers in general' or 'underrated/overrated on the esteemed somethingawful.com forums'.

i assume most people took it as the former; otherwise how the gently caress would ben simmons be number 2 on the overrated list

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if you ENJOY the ukiyo-e AESTHETIC you should look into the WORKS of andrew WYETH who makes PAINTINGS not PRINTS so you can SAY that your favorite PAINTING is WIND FROM THE SEA which is actually a PAINTING and not a PRINT

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's cool that after going to med school we all went to art school as well.

i went to a college with one of the top arts programs in the country so out of sheer unbridled horniness i learned about art and now have opinions on it

BWV posted:

One time I got too drunk at a Christmas party and ended up telling a professional artist/professor why pop art is overrated and devoid of affect. He said that was a fine opinion to have, as not all art is for everyone. I then told him it wasn't an opinion but the actual Truth and that these wishy washy aesthetics were bullshit and a rip off of early Dada. I saw him at the same party a year later and he oddly avoided me.

speak your truth king

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The vast majority of postmodern art is a vehicle for money laundering and serves no other purpose.

:allears:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Your Aesthetic Eye is Deficient

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also if the knicks job is to have a competent team that makes the playoffs and maybe provides less of a tire fire for their young talent to develop in, trading for chris paul makes a lot of sense (and if he stays healthy it’s gonna be more attractive to free agents)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dumping cp3’s contract is probably enough for the thunder not to ask for much back yeah?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

carlos boozer is probably the last big name they signed and that was like a decade ago

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

that was a trade, the bulls traded will perdue lol

will vanderbilt

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Booze is the best jazz free agent ever by a mile and they had to resort to subterfuge to get him screw you guys

also they only got him because the cavs tried to get cute and sign him to under market value

supposedly the jazz were interested in drafting him but couldn't help themselves and traded up for a big white stiff instead

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dexo posted:

I like Zach and hope they keep him.

They just need someone not him to be the primary initiator.

My precious Coby was looking good before the DPOY shut the league down.

But he's also not the best decision maker.

i mean he’s also a rookie, there’s a good chance his decision-making improves dramatically in the next two years (and if it doesn’t he’s 6’5 and can slot in at the 2 easily)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

extremely my poo poo a+ feed it to me like grapes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't want to judge but if you are an adult who goes to see space jam without kids you should also be forced to sit through the entirety of Thunderstruck.

too late

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

basketball movies i have known:
-hoop dreams
-like mike
-blue chips
-above the rim
-sixth man
-eddie
-the fish that saved pittsburgh