Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

nwin posted:

And that’s why I asked!

What’s the process? Just cut some pieces of paperboard to the size of the hinge and insert between hinge and the door frame?

Actually, not sure how that would work. Would I put the paperboard on the hinge at the bottom to push that OUT so it’d bring the bottom in?

You got the idea. You unscrew one of the hinges and cut a piece of paperboard like from a beer cereal box that fits the hinge's recess in the door frame. If it's a 2-hinge door, then shove a towel under the door to support its weight. Put the paperboard against the door side of the hinge, close the hinge on it and trace it. Cut it to size. Once you got one that's a perfect fit, you can trace it to quickly make more. You might need a few, like 5-6. Put each shim up to the recess and use one of the screws to dimple the holes in the shim. Stack up 4 or so. Put one screw through the hinge, then screw it through 4 or so shims. Put that screw against the door frame and screw it in.

To bring the top edge of the door down, shim out the top hinge. The bring out the bottom, shim the bottom. This can also be used to lower or raise the latch to the strike plate, respectively. If you get crazy with the shims and need like more than 8 at one hinge, you may want to add some shims to the middle hinge to keep it from binding and being squeaky. You can also add shims to all hinges if you just need to move the entire door over a little bit in its frame.

You might want to throw any extra shims into a junk drawer and save them. You may need to adjust this in a few months as your home expands and contracts with the seasons.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Anyone have any idea what's going on with this doorknob? It's brand new, so it's not malfunctioning, but I've never seen a knob act this way. Is it a setting? Is it the kind of knob and I need to replace it? What is the purpose of a knob that does this?

I've seen that happen. The knob is in a bind with the latch. It could be anything from a bad latch to a bad knob, to you just tightened the screws for the knob too drat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kid sinister posted:

You got the idea. You unscrew one of the hinges and cut a piece of paperboard like from a beer cereal box that fits the hinge's recess in the door frame. If it's a 2-hinge door, then shove a towel under the door to support its weight. Put the paperboard against the door side of the hinge, close the hinge on it and trace it. Cut it to size. Once you got one that's a perfect fit, you can trace it to quickly make more. You might need a few, like 5-6. Put each shim up to the recess and use one of the screws to dimple the holes in the shim. Stack up 4 or so. Put one screw through the hinge, then screw it through 4 or so shims. Put that screw against the door frame and screw it in.

To bring the top edge of the door down, shim out the top hinge. The bring out the bottom, shim the bottom. This can also be used to lower or raise the latch to the strike plate, respectively. If you get crazy with the shims and need like more than 8 at one hinge, you may want to add some shims to the middle hinge to keep it from binding and being squeaky. You can also add shims to all hinges if you just need to move the entire door over a little bit in its frame.

You might want to throw any extra shims into a junk drawer and save them. You may need to adjust this in a few months as your home expands and contracts with the seasons.

I've seen that happen. The knob is in a bind with the latch. It could be anything from a bad latch to a bad knob, to you just tightened the screws for the knob too drat much.

I don’t think I said it correctly.

The part of the door I highlighted is rubbing. The top doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shim the bottom hinge.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Anyone have any idea what's going on with this doorknob? It's brand new, so it's not malfunctioning, but I've never seen a knob act this way. Is it a setting? Is it the kind of knob and I need to replace it? What is the purpose of a knob that does this?

https://i.imgur.com/O5tGXpN.mp4

I have a couple old ones that do this. I backed off the anchor screws a little. If you tighten them up good, they sometimes cause it to bind like that.

It may be that the door is a little thinner than the knobset is designed for and it's meshing.

e: check the plate on the latch. It looks like it may be scraping against the latch mechanism. It would explain why you can pull it back but the spring can't push it out again.

Try removing that plate & see if it works.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 30, 2020

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Shim the bottom hinge.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is very dumb but what is the difference 24 5/16" and 26 3/4" distances in this picture, the lines make it look like they should be the same

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think the shorter distance is measuring from the backsplash to the end of the stovetop, while the longer one is from the back wall to the front of the oven (including however wide the door is). But yeah, that diagram isn't very easy to read.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

actionjackson posted:

this is very dumb but what is the difference 24 5/16" and 26 3/4" distances in this picture, the lines make it look like they should be the same

Looks like 24" 5/16 is to the edge of the cooktop, 26 3/4 is total required floorspace, the difference being the door.

I think.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

actionjackson posted:

The thickness of the oven door & drawer front.

I wanna know WTF the 22-3/8" is measuring.
(edit) ahh- door reach when open.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you. That's a bosch which is nice because it has that recessed area so the cord doesn't take up space. But it's quite expensive.

I'm trying to find the ones that will stick out the least, but it seems like ~26 something is pretty standard depth to the front of the oven door. It's nothing something that has any sort of filter on websites. It doesn't seem like other brands have that recess thing which is really nice to help it get right up against the wall.

There's also the "slide-in" vs. "freestanding" where the slide-in doesn't have finished sides, but there doesn't seem to be any other difference. It seems like either can go into a slide-in space.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slide-ins typically sit on staging. There are purpose-built cabinets for slide-ins.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Looks like 24" 5/16 is to the edge of the cooktop, 26 3/4 is total required floorspace, the difference being the door.

I think.

The difference is the sloped control panel the top of which is shy of the absolute front of the range.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Theoretically, slide-ins have a higher end connotation to them. The real difference is where you prefer the control knobs, on the front or the back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Theoretically, slide-ins have a higher end connotation to them. The real difference is where you prefer the control knobs, on the front or the back.

What does that have to do with a slide in? All control knob positions are available in basically every style, other than rear control knobs - the objectively worst - being limited to cheap ranges.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Damnit, now you got me looking at Bosch appliances. Ranges and ovens of all sorts and so on. The dishwasher was a gateway drug.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Damnit, now you got me looking at Bosch appliances. Ranges and ovens of all sorts and so on. The dishwasher was a gateway drug.

I have a Bosch dishwasher because they are well known for being the best in that category, but for other appliances they are definitely not. They are probably my favorite appearance wise though. One really nice thing their ranges do have, besides that recessed space that allows you to have the oven right up against the wall without cords getting in the way, and also an overlay on the stovetop so it covers the little gaps between the range and the countertops.

I don't have any "staging" - my oven just sits on the floor. But it's a standard 30" oven space, and looking at the dimensions of the slide-in ovens it should fit just fine.

definitely prefer the controls on the front, and once my existing white wall panel is removed, will either paint or tile the gap in between the range and the microwave.

trigger warning - electric range

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...roduct-overview

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 30, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Remember to always firmly tile your range to the wall when you replace it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Looking at the pictures, it looks like there is some sort of recessed area on the rear bottom (lol) part, including where the 240V wall connection is. I suppose this is the only way you could plug it in while being able to have it all the way up to the wall (i.e. the plug doesn't stick between the back of the range and the wall).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Looking at the pictures, it looks like there is some sort of recessed area on the rear bottom (lol) part, including where the 240V wall connection is. I suppose this is the only way you could plug it in while being able to have it all the way up to the wall (i.e. the plug doesn't stick between the back of the range and the wall).

Yeah, every electric range will have some sort of rear indent to accommodate the electric or gas connections while sitting flush, wouldn't much work otherwise.

Note: I was kidding about tileing your range in, do not do that.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Just went through a bad storm and looked at the basement to see how it handled it. Could be worse, but I discovered I've got a leaky pipe joint on my PVC drain pipe leading out of the house. Looking online, some guides say to use silicone repair tape or fiberglass wrap. Would either of those or any other solutions shy of calling in a plumber to replace pipes work for a long or short term fix?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, every electric range will have some sort of rear indent to accommodate the electric or gas connections while sitting flush, wouldn't much work otherwise.

Note: I was kidding about tileing your range in, do not do that.

thank you. my current gas range doesn't actually go up to the wall because the giant gas cord thing gets in the way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

The dishwasher is what you get for free when you buy a kitchen's worth of appliance, fyi. That's the typical package deal.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

Shim the bottom hinge.

So I tried that, with as little as one shim, and it kicked the center out too much. The pet of the door where the lock meets the door jamb was hitting. It’s like I need to pull that part in.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nwin posted:

So I tried that, with as little as one shim, and it kicked the center out too much. The pet of the door where the lock meets the door jamb was hitting. It’s like I need to pull that part in.

Do you own a chisel? Wood plane?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

H110Hawk posted:

Do you own a chisel? Wood plane?

Negative. Willing to buy whatever I need though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

nwin posted:

Negative. Willing to buy whatever I need though.

Buy a small hand plane. it won't be too expensive, like $15 max. Look up some videos on how to adjust them. If you adjust the blade out too far, it will bite into the wood and take out chunks instead of shaving off little slivers of wood like you want.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, it's freezing in here. I live alone in a standalone garage and the gas was never done to code in the first place so the gas meter is locked off.

I have a 240v, 30a dryer outlet that is available.

At Home Depot they had exactly one 240v Space Heater, but it uses a NEMA 6-20 plug.

Assuming I don't give a poo poo about codes, is there a physics-based reason why I can't just wire this dryer plug into the Leviton socket pictured to make an adapter dongle for the space heater? Then just put shrink tubing on the 4th unused wire and stash it in the black Leviton housing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
14-30R to 6-20P is in theory fine but you should change out the breaker to be 20A so you have the correct overcurrent protection for your device. You can even find pigtails that will do it for you save for the overcurrent protection, this one is way overpriced but you get the idea. Just make sure it's not "L"14-30R. (And make sure I have R and P correct for your application. You need and R for your devices P.)

https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-S14...866&s=hi&sr=1-5

Mod edit: emphasis

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 12, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

14-30R to 6-20P is in theory fine but you should change out the breaker to be 20A so you have the correct overcurrent protection for your device. You can even find pigtails that will do it for you save for the overcurrent protection, this one is way overpriced but you get the idea. Just make sure it's not "L"14-30R. (And make sure I have R and P correct for your application. You need and R for your devices P.)

https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-S14...866&s=hi&sr=1-5

Well the Leviton recepticle and dryer cord I posted were like $25 total, I put them together and now this thing is blasting crazy heat! I've saved a lot of money on electric car charging adapters by making them myself this way, but never with a home appliance before and never with mismatch on the number of wires.

I'll just get an in-line 20a fuse for the heater so I can switch back to using the dryer outlet for the actual dryer on occasion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I tore out the crumbling concrete steps on my porch and plan on replacing them with wood ones.

The porch is 18” off the ground, would a 9” rise be uncomfortable/dangerous? Or should I do 3 steps instead of 2?

This is what I’m working with

Also if I don’t have enough concrete to attach the stringers to the porch a 4x4 in that indentation would be pretty close to flush with the overhang. I could attach 4x4s to the porch and attach the stringers to that.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

nwin posted:

If you have a 4' level check both jambs and the top of the door. My guess would be the door and hinge side jamb aren't level and plumb. The top hinge will tend to sag over time, especially with solid core doors.

One trick is to remove the center screw on the top hinge and replace it with 4" long screw through the jamb and into the studs holding the door frame. You can get a better bite with the longer screw than the standard short hinge screws. Tighten the 4" screw enough to pull the jamb into plumb and that should also level your door.

The punt option is to shave the door. If everything is level and plumb and/or the 4" screw trick doesn't work, bust out a wood plane and go to town. Just remember it is very easy to take wood off a door, but not so easy to put it back on. i.e. if you shave a door and then level everything, you've got a chance of getting light gaps because your door is longer a rectangle.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dangling pointer posted:

I tore out the crumbling concrete steps on my porch and plan on replacing them with wood ones.

The porch is 18” off the ground, would a 9” rise be uncomfortable/dangerous? Or should I do 3 steps instead of 2?
Well according to google "The maximum allowable stair rise is 7 3/4 inches, and the minimum stair rise is 4 inches."

To me 9" seems like a hefty rise as well that's probably fine for taller people that are without physical limitations but I think you really want 3 steps here.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Mod edit: bad advice

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 12, 2020

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

Well according to google "The maximum allowable stair rise is 7 3/4 inches, and the minimum stair rise is 4 inches."

To me 9" seems like a hefty rise as well that's probably fine for taller people that are without physical limitations but I think you really want 3 steps here.

Yeah, most things I’ve read suggest 7.5 inches, 1.5” doesn’t seem too much more but I have no idea what makes steps not a death trap. Going with 3 steps is probably the best option, just wanted an outside opinion.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Check local codes where applicable, too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dangling pointer posted:

Yeah, most things I’ve read suggest 7.5 inches, 1.5” doesn’t seem too much more but I have no idea what makes steps not a death trap. Going with 3 steps is probably the best option, just wanted an outside opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1vqQi5Tl70

Reminded me of this video so here thread have this.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HycoCam posted:

If you have a 4' level check both jambs and the top of the door. My guess would be the door and hinge side jamb aren't level and plumb. The top hinge will tend to sag over time, especially with solid core doors.

One trick is to remove the center screw on the top hinge and replace it with 4" long screw through the jamb and into the studs holding the door frame. You can get a better bite with the longer screw than the standard short hinge screws. Tighten the 4" screw enough to pull the jamb into plumb and that should also level your door.

The punt option is to shave the door. If everything is level and plumb and/or the 4" screw trick doesn't work, bust out a wood plane and go to town. Just remember it is very easy to take wood off a door, but not so easy to put it back on. i.e. if you shave a door and then level everything, you've got a chance of getting light gaps because your door is longer a rectangle.

The 4” screw got me 90% there!

Now it’s just the bolt that goes into the door, the mechanism itself...no idea what it’s called. The metal piece seems to be sticking out too much so maybe I can dremel around that a bit.

Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

The 4” screw got me 90% there!

Now it’s just the bolt that goes into the door, the mechanism itself...no idea what it’s called. The metal piece seems to be sticking out too much so maybe I can dremel around that a bit.

Thanks!

Yeah, if the hole in the strike plate isn't aligned with the bolt then the easiest solution is to just dremel the hole bigger.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

dangling pointer posted:

This is what I’m working with

Also if I don’t have enough concrete to attach the stringers to the porch a 4x4 in that indentation would be pretty close to flush with the overhang. I could attach 4x4s to the porch and attach the stringers to that.
Is this a trick question?

Two steps. The ground is zero. The first step is at 6". The second step will be at 12". And the top step will be walking on to the slab 18". Meaning you only need to build two steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

HycoCam posted:

Is this a trick question?

Two steps. The ground is zero. The first step is at 6". The second step will be at 12". And the top step will be walking on to the slab 18". Meaning you only need to build two steps.

:doh:

I thought that was considered 3 steps. 2 steps it is.