Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Question- I have an undercabinet microwave above my range that has a lovely recirc blower. If I wanted to rip this microwave out (we're fine with a small countertop one instead) and put in an actual ducted hood, I'm running into a couple of issues:

1. Do they make ducted undercabinet hoods, or just recirc ones?
2. If so, there's about three feet of open wall on top of the cabinets (vaulted ceiling in the kitchen), do they just run a box duct up along side the wall, or is there a way to run ducting inside of the (normal-sized) wall?
3. Would it be HVAC people that I'd call to do this if I wanted to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When I bought this house I was so horny to go tankless because the last house I rented had such a poo poo water heater, but this thing puts out enough hot water for two consecutive showers and who needs more than that? Still going strong 10 years later

Tangentially, my wife wants a pot filler, which is a decadent useless fixture that I'll get her so I don't have to think of a birthday gift. I can run the PEX to it fairly easy, but that same section of wall is obviously where the 220v line for the stove comes down. Is there some special way to handle this to code? Should I just pony up for a plumber?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I hesitate to ask this, but what does a normal 220v oven hookup look like coming out of the wall? Is it a female outlet that the oven just plugs into?

Because mine is a 220v wire just poking out of the drywall and connects to the oven.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

I didn't see an appliance thread anywhere so I'll ask here.
I'm thinking about replacing an appliance or two in the not too distant future. Does the same rule for plumbing and electrical fixtures apply to appliances? You typically only find "the good poo poo" at an actual appliance store? Like how the real poo poo typically comes from a plumbing supply or electrical supply store and the cheaper versions come from lowes-depot?

That rule doesn’t even actually apply to appliances.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is spray foam an option?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

tater_salad posted:

"homeownership thread: a recurring theme is "Looks nice and is impossible to maintain"

My sister is learning the "what the gently caress were these people thinking" bit with her newly purchased house full of Time/Life repair book-level fixes.

This week I'm on the "why don't they just loving make cabinets out of paper then" lesson

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Aside from pain-in-rear end factor of install, are there any downsides to using glass subway tiles as backsplash, like these?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Elida-Ceramica-3x12-Super-White-Glass-3-in-x-12-in-Glossy-Glass-Subway-Wall-Tile/1001027586

I'd love to go with a white grout, but I'm worried about discoloration and uneven colors after some years from grease splashes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm putting glass subway tiles over painted drywall. I was all set to get the adhesive when I did a little reading and saw not to use mastic adhesive with glass tiles, to use mortar instead. That's fine, but I can't find a real answer anywhere on whether I need to prime or prep the drywall first for the mortar. Any answers?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That is some "nope, insurance fire" poo poo right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Buy a ton of fittings and then return the ones that aren't needed.

Try to keep the Lowe's and Home Depot ones separate. You'll fail anyway, but try