Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

boss, they say the point & click game is over. we gotta pivot to something with more customers like licensed property visual novels, they're like point & click games except we pay someone else for the privilege of making them!
the thing is their whole life has been licensed games, it's just that the licensed games they did before were Strong Bad, Wallace & Gromit, and Sam & Max. their very first game was a short, cheap Bone adaptation. they were picking stuff that made sense with the genre and also could be translated to 3D without much difficulty. after The Walking Dead they decided that they weren't going to do that anymore and just went with the biggest licenses possible like Game of Thrones, Marvel, DC, etc

and like, they don't learn. the studio that formed from ex-Telltale people chose Star Trek as their first license, and that game is coming out on Steam this month, the same month as a billion indie games and Hellblade 2. this post is probably the first time you've heard of it (Star Trek Resurgence) because it was previously, you guessed it, an Epic Store exclusive lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's so funny that gearbox saw people like those characters and immedietly poo poo out DLC for Borderlands 2 where they appeared with 0 of the charm and sucked rear end.

Randy decided the character to bring back and make way more prominent was the one voiced by Chris Hardwick post-allegations

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Annointed posted:

Though I do admit some fans have an odd need to mythologize authors. It okay if the creator of a work is just a regular bloke who doesn't burnout into a mire of mental illness, drug abuse and manslaughter.

Maybe this is just me giving myself a pass, but I'll allow anyone under the age of 20 to have a Hunter S. Thompson phase without judgement in my mind.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
hunter s thompson was a hero and i respect him and his drug abuse

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

That video of him shooting into the hills with a Luger is great and I don't care if it's all an act/fake

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

we are middle aged and going through a werner herzog phase of either getting shot and being nonchalant, or describing a penguin waddling into the big empty to die alone unloved and unmourned

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tales from the borderlands, wolf among us and batman season 2 are good

Shame about how they're handled in Borderlands 3.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

we are middle aged and going through a werner herzog phase of either getting shot and being nonchalant, or describing a penguin waddling into the big empty to die alone unloved and unmourned

speak for yourself

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are a lot of things about borderlands that can be shamed

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Arc Hammer posted:

Shame about how they're handled in Borderlands 3.

At least we got a Tales From the Borderlands 2 out of it With the exciting conclusion of Reeses favourite frozen yogurt shop

:suicide:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So uh, anyone play that Expanse telltale game? I feel like if it was any good somebody would have mentioned it by now. :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I liked the BttF Telltale game but a big part of that was that it didn't really do the 'choices and consequences!!!' thing and played out as a fairly linear point and click adventure. Plus it lacks child death and generally has a story with the same kind of tone the movies have.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Heavy Rain, Telltale GoT, and Telltale TWD S2 are probably the worst video game purchases I've ever made.

Even the Super Best Friends Let's Play of TWD suffered the same drop in quality. They went from making funny jokes about how much they hate Kenny in S1 to going on angry, uncomfortable rants about what a piece of poo poo he is in S2.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mycophobia posted:

i have the back to the future game but i never got very far in it

That was a more traditional point and click. Holds up pretty well I think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yvonmukluk posted:

That was a more traditional point and click. Holds up pretty well I think.

Yeah it’s not bad as a kinda sorta BTTF 4. Christopher Lloyd is the only original actor that reprises his role(MJF has a few cameos though) in it but the VA they got for Michael J. Fox sounds pretty close.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I just want another Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RatHat posted:

Yeah it’s not bad as a kinda sorta BTTF 4. Christopher Lloyd is the only original actor that reprises his role(MJF has a few cameos though) in it but the VA they got for Michael J. Fox sounds pretty close.

They got the original Jennifer back too, IIRC.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Genthil posted:

They really GOT the HR vibe and I appreciated that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Redezga posted:

Maybe this is just me giving myself a pass, but I'll allow anyone under the age of 20 to have a Hunter S. Thompson phase without judgement in my mind.

Mythologizing him is an Extremely Bad Idea, but holy poo poo could HST turn a phrase.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paingod556 posted:

At least we got a Tales From the Borderlands 2 out of it With the exciting conclusion of Reeses favourite frozen yogurt shop

:suicide:

It's funny how precisely nobody talks about it. I don't think people even care enough to make videos ripping into it. Burch is one of the main writers. (Although to be fair, I guess, he didn't have anything to with 3.)

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I didn't even know it existed until Borderlands 2 addict and Bionicle connoisseur oboeshoes did a play through. I hated it. He hated it. Everyone hated it. I think there's like one funny joke, when characters take themselves hostage.

Also Torgue shows up and says nothing. Garbage pointless game. Not even going to link it, his 'grinding a gun for 5 hours' videos are more entertaining

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
big egg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSnyXm0SbVI

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Iron Pineapple plays more soulslikes. The first one is the brilliantly stupid "Dark Souls but you're a car"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haYQiFc7peI

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No Rest for the Wicked looks so good, a shame it's bogged down with so much tedious busywork. I'm glad it's in early access because I read the Game Informer story and they said they're not married to any idea and will discard them if necessary. Hopefully they discard the resource gathering.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pigbuster posted:

"Dark Souls but you're a car"

https://twitter.com/PatataTan/status/1508792207964209154

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQsp7ozg24c

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Hopefully they discard the resource gathering.

this but every game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jimbot posted:

No Rest for the Wicked looks so good, a shame it's bogged down with so much tedious busywork. I'm glad it's in early access because I read the Game Informer story and they said they're not married to any idea and will discard them if necessary. Hopefully they discard the resource gathering.

They definitely need to speed it up. Like the clip where he was digging and it just took forever and then the shovel broke with like one more hit.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Noclip continuing to do good work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzbtqur8ts

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Found a tuber called RndStranger who's been doing a Jeremy Parish-adjacent project to explore the entirety of the Famicom library, including the Famicom Disc System: https://www.youtube.com/@RndStranger/videos

Also there's a new This Exists about nu metal, cybergrind, and how the scenes have changed over the last 25 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnR6x98oQQ

Also my podcast is back from hiatus talking about a terrible edgy sitcom and a viral Japanese mystery cartoon: https://flashinthepancast.com/2024/04/30/episode-108-just-a-small-peek-into-my-twisted-mind/

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Found a tuber called RndStranger who's been doing a Jeremy Parish-adjacent project to explore the entirety of the Famicom library, including the Famicom Disc System: https://www.youtube.com/@RndStranger/videos
Our very own Random Stranger and yeah, his stuff is great! I'm still slowly going through Famidaily (up to episode 407 currently)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jimbot posted:

On the one hand I am glad they're open to refining and changing stuff and ultimately making good use of their Early Access period, on the other hand it's really drat weird to see a game with such high production values also take such a sloppy, shotgun approach to its mechanics. It looks like they threw in literally everything they could and it comes off like they don't actually have a strong vision for the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

On the one hand I am glad they're open to refining and changing stuff and ultimately making good use of their Early Access period, on the other hand it's really drat weird to see a game with such high production values also take such a sloppy, shotgun approach to its mechanics. It looks like they threw in literally everything they could and it comes off like they don't actually have a strong vision for the game.

It does appear that way, yeah. Josh Sawyer put out a short video recently about game balance and it does put into perspective of certain approaches to this stuff. In this case having a solid vision of the game but leaving all the balance tweaking for post-game patches based off of player feedback. Like the core combat of No Rest for the Wicked looks super solid and those values can be tweaked as to make the beginning a little easier and the end of the early access stuff a bit harder - a gentler curve. But, as you said, the rest of it feels like the kitchen sink approach like outside of the visual style and combat they didn't quite know what sort of game they wanted to make and are relying on player feedback to make those decisions or, at least, have a clear vision of the things they want but can't quite bring them all together in a satisfying way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a shame they didn't go back to Warsoup the FPS-RTS that was their original first game and that they pitched to Microsoft alongside what would become Ori and Microsoft only liked the latter.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Angryhead posted:

Our very own Random Stranger and yeah, his stuff is great! I'm still slowly going through Famidaily (up to episode 407 currently)

Oh hey, small world!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Genthil posted:

Not exactly a new SBCG4AP but TBC did make a Dangeresque point and click trilogy pretty recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWphs78oGA

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I was watching the video earlier today and going, okay this looks pretty good, then crafting showed up and I immediately lost a lot of my interest. I'd still play it if they kept it in, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to.

Also, I don't know if this was posted already (didn't notice it if it was), but a few days ago the Burbacks dropped a video about the the history of renting movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiT686zYbQg

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVNYhyy-pA
Emp has a new video on what are still the scariest weather events I've ever learned about in college

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Spaced God posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVNYhyy-pA
Emp has a new video on what are still the scariest weather events I've ever learned about in college

Can’t wait to watch another banger of a video from the “people who care about racism are the ones who are really tearing America apart” guy

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EDIT: Whoops double post

But also Noclip has a channel where they archive games media footage and I thought this set of Sims commercials (mislabelled as Sims 2) was a fun time capsule and an interesting look into how they used to advertise that game and DLC in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJMj2Ud12U0

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 3, 2024