Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The OP dub is fine. I do not envy the voice actors for Luffy and Usopp. They should buy stock in lozenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NmtmA-Qoas&t=80s

Clinkenbeard (Luffy) has said she can't record as much in one session anymore because it hurts her voice too much. They were following in Naruto's footsteps in giving the voice to a lady who has to adopt the most raspy, rough voice imaginable. I feel sorry for them both.

Usopp is just Krilin.

I'm sad Blackbeard's original Funi VA died, like, back in 2016. I had no idea until I got to Dressrosa and he's now voiced by Hercule/Arlong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

She seemed to be doing okay at the end of my playthrough and I was playing a female Shephard and didn't romance her. By the third game she'd found a new calling as a teacher at some kind of school for biotic kids if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I also thought her resolution with Femshep was fine.

Although it's recently come out Jack was supposed to be bi but they edited it out of the game at some point.

Dragon Age was always way better about romances for LGBT and female players, anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Its like when people frame superhero films as a modern mythology a la the Illiad and other Greek myths; its not really about evaluating two separate cultural products on their own merits, but about scoring 2nd hand prestige the importance traditionally placed on classical literature in Western society.

Not that fans puffing up the importance of the stuff they enjoy is unique to superhero fans or anything.

I don't think it's just that. The weakening of religion and myth has been a problem for hundreds of years and people have been trying to create new sources of meaning for just as long. Art tends to be the natural recourse because it's a communal activity that imparts meaning to all our lives.

Grant Morrison wrote a book about it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J4WL7S/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

But on the larger importance of art, I've recently been reading Tolstoy's "What is Art?" and while I don't agree with all of it , this part stuck out to me

quote:

The artist of the future w r ill understand that to compose a fairy-tale, a little song which will touch, a lullaby or a riddle which will entertain, a jest which will amuse, or to draw a sketch which will delight dozens of generations or millions of children and adults, is incomparably more important and more fruitful than to compose a novel or a symphony, or paint a picture which will divert some members of the wealthy classes for a short time, and then be for ever forgotten. The region of this art of the simple feelings accessible to all is enormous, and it is as yet almost untouched.

Basically, I'd like "high art" to reach more people but it doesn't so comic books and video games and movies are probably more important. Please don't think The Matrix or Evangelion is the peak of philosophy but if it at least gets people started on the road to reading more...in depth philosophy, great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dias posted:

don't worry, it wasn't about you

On what you said, the author has autonomy over the preferred presentation for their work, but they don't have any over how someone consumes it (whether because of external circunstances or personal decisions), and that's fine, it's good, even. It's just a different experience that you might or not prefer over the author's preferred presentation.

For instance, if you grew up in a non-anglophone country, you probably grew up with dubbed movies, which alter significantly the presentation of the work. Now, ignoring questions of accessibility and all, a lot of people actually prefer or even would rather recommend the dubbed version of certain movies.

I always worry about this with dubbed anime or audiobooks. A voice really alters the experience of a work or your understanding of a character. If you ever look at a recording studio of behind-the-scenes on show, a slightly different inflection on one word changes the whole meaning of a sentence.

So many Sub vs. Dub debates back in the day were about how the American and Japanese presentations of various characters were pretty different.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, FFX was localized by Alexander O. Smith, one of the most respected and awesome localizers for games ever.

Hedy Burress (Yuna) was really good in X-2 which was like two years later I think. And I never hated her in X, she's just...it's like James Arnold Taylor as Tidus who is a fantastic VA but still had to do poo poo like withyunabymyside. They both did the best they could and I still love X's dub. Yuna telling off Yunalesca is great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

FFX and blitzball will always be good.

Best Final Fantasy game of all time. 9.5/10 with everything that matters being excellent and only a few minor problems like the sidequests and final dungeon. And you can skip the former so really its only notable flaw is the final dungeon.

Love that game so much. Turn-based battle systems forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ko0LbI1dAI

And speaking of voice-acting, I could go on forever about how, even though this was the first voiced FF, they were amazing about inserting dialogue into combat. Not just "I win" dialogue but unique banter depending on where you were in the story and what party formation you had.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The DBZ abridged people do voice acting for anime now. The more likely explanation is that most actors for abridged content aren't very good or in the right location.

I first learned of Lanipator via Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged, he was an incredible impersonator of Justin Cook and Chris Sabat.

hbi2k was never a good voice-actor but his Berserk and Gantz Abridged was probably the best writing in the Abridged scene.

But the Abridged VA who always stood out most to me was the guy who did Cooler in DBZA. From the start I thought he was legit amazing and not just good for an internet parody. I've heard him in a few Funi works like Fairy Tail.

God, this is transporting me back to 2006/2007 when I was obsessed with abridged shows on YT. I even talked to hbi2k a few times on another forum. This was before DBZA. I hope he's all rich and famous and successful now, was a cool dude to me.

EDIT:

Also Pro VAs tend to love the added attention due to parodies. Like, David Hayter was happy to repeat old Metal Gear Awesome poo poo and how many times did Joey's English VA from Yugioh get to shout "Brooklyn Rage"? Online parodies see good for everyone.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 26, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Dragonball Z Kai also had this problem apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go5FxZdyO80

He even got in trouble for it.

Yep, I hear they even removed the Kai OST from subsequent releases of the show.

But it was so good. There are bits I don't remember at all from the original but Kai made some of my favorites, and the music was a big reason for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGY1MxtjWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1o5krVrVf8

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Linkara looks at one of Frank Miller's most influential works, The Dark Knight Returns, from before he went completely off the rails with racism and misogyny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGw5o3pIyow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPEc5O7R6lE

See, I never took Gordon killing that kid as something we were supposed to be cheerful about. The coloring and presentation depicted Gordon as a weary old man in a world without hope. He had done this poo poo so long that he didn't even feel the horror of what he did. He was numb to the pain of it all which is really the most tragic of evils.

And that is the entire atmosphere of TDKR for me. Batman is not right, he's he's not a hero, he's just (futilely) fighting chaos. He's a traumatized old man who was drinking himself to death and then traded in drink for violence by returning to be Batman. He tried to help Harvey and himself but he could help neither because there is no help for the world of The Dark Knight Returns.

I really recommend this book Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism which has a quote describing Miller's attitude going into TDKR:

"As Miller’s career was taking off, the everyday violence in Manhattan at the time was taking its toll. “New York is no longer fit for human habitation,” Miller told one friend. After enduring three robberies in the course of a month, he and [the colorist and his then-girlfriend Lynn] Varley decided to escape to LA. While she went out west to search for a home, he stayed behind to set up more work to get them out of debt. He had a check in his pocket when, once again, someone tried to rob him. “Frank just went berserk on the guy,” Varley says. “He didn’t hit him or anything, he just went so berserk the guy backed off and ran away. We were on edge."26

Such anger floats to the surface of his work with a bang in 1986, the year I graduated from high school, with not one but two smash-hit stories about characters that didn’t belong to him: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Miller’s most lauded Daredevil story, Daredevil: Born Again, his 1986 return to the Daredevil series, penciled by David Mazzucchelli.

Overall though, Linkara was a lot softer on the book than I expected. I agree with the rest of his sentiments, Too many people have a singular idea on what a superhero SHOULD be and that's bullshit. Batman in particular has a diversity of interpretations - is he the noble knight who is just too pure to kill, or is he a man one inch away from becoming The Joker and if he crossed that line of killing he'd become everything he hates? Is he a brooding loner or the heart of the Bat Family? Is there hope or no hope? Depending on the writing quality, any one of these depictions can be great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I think we can at least agree that 70s and 80s cartoons were terrible with the exception for the Simpsons.

The 70s were just Scooby ripoffs and the 80s were the toy companies at their most transparent.

I like Jem, and I didn't even grow up in the 80s. I just like girly stuff and pop songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQE5wuBFeY

And it did try here and there for more serious, substantive writing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kotor 2 for me is less interesting in how it critiques star wars and the monomyth and more on how it challenges the notions of fate, free will and agency while also laying a heaping dose of (often on the nose) criticism of the conventions of RPGs in general and insisting that players ask the question "why". The star wars dressing gives it flavour but the underlying themes could be applied to storytelling as a whole.

The game being actively hostile to the blind adherence to light and dark playthroughs is great. The many instances where kindness or cruelty are signposted to give you video game morality points are often traps that can bite you if you don't weigh your options, make an informed decision and then make your move understanding the consequences. How you justify your actions is more important than simply doing them, and doing them just to fill out a meter is the same kind of dogmatic approach that makes Jedi and Sith diametrically opposed and self destructive.

This is why I always felt a lot of thematic similarity between New Vegas and KOTOR 2.They both felt like they were questioning the very fundamentals of a RPG. This is more prominent in NV's DLC which I always felt was e s scathing commentary on the "I gotta do EVERYTHING" mentality since doing everything just to do it and not thinking about it is what causes all your problems in those DLC.

I didn't really feel like this was a big idea in Pillars of Eternity, though. It had other "meta" ideas but not really this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Motto posted:

There are plenty of positive opinions that will spark conversation, watch: Star Wars prequels? Pretty good. Even better than Dark Souls 2.

I think the ST has made people realize what the had with the PT.

Then again, I'm a lifelong Metal Gear Solid 2 fan and anybody active in the MGS fandom in the 2000s knows that game was reviled pretty much everywhere. Then something happened around 2011-2014 and people realized "holy this, that game was amazing."

I bring it up because in both cases people are quick to say it's less that folks came around to the PT or MGS2 being good and more just that the haters all wandered off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hel posted:

MGS2 was the last great mgs because after that they started abandoning the survival horror like structure which made it work so well. And the series really should've ended with 4, while the sequels and spin-offs might be interesting to play they add nothing and probably remove a lot of interesting stuff from the narrative. Didn't help that they also upped the creep factor a lot, except oddly(not really)for Survive which toned it down significantly.

I would let 3 exist but your point is spot on. Pretty much no MGS game after 3 had any reason to exist and they contributed nothing to the narrative or characters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would agree Kojima totally cared. But he's not a good enough writer to connect loads of dots that were never meant to be connected. This is one reason I think the series should have ended with 3, because 2 was supposed to be the final game and then 3. Snake Eater has pretty much nothing to do with 2, a fact which earned it a lot of good will back in the day. But the point is, 2 left the series on a cliffhanger with many open-ended questions and then 3 went back in time to avoid giving answers. But fans bullied Kojima into making 4, into giving answers to questions that he never had answers to. Kojima can't go one game without retconning a significant detail, now watch him try to connect many different games in a cohesive manner . It's not pretty or satisfying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hel posted:

I saw some translators arguing on twitter recently that the reason mgs 1 and 2 deals with that better is that the translators did a lot of work cleaning up Kojimas writing and that the series doesn't have the same reputation of dealing well with those issues in japan. Whether or not it's true or not I don't know, but after 2 the translators were supposedly on a shorter leash and were told to do more literal translations. Also fits with the MGS2 translator calling Kojimas writing sub fan-fiction level.

That lady always struck me as overly bitter. I've never heard such harsh words from anybody about Kojima, even the MGS localizer who had a petty severe falling out with Kojima.

That being said, I have no problem admitting he's a big idea guy more than a good writer per se. But big ideas are important. Strip away all the melodramatic romance and "I killed my soul" and you see MGS2 was attempting something truly innovative. Games much, much later like Spec Ops: The Line would be praised for commenting on the game and the player but Sons of Liberty did it way the hell back in 2001. Kojima used to be called a failed wannabe filmmaker before everybody started applying that to David Cage. But Kojima (and Cage, honestly) really makes use of the video game medium in what he create. MGS2 would indeed be a lovely movie but not just because of bad dialogue. It would be lovely ​because its entire impact and point is to examine the relationship between player and character, gamer and game. MGS2 is a video game and it knows it's a video game and its entire appeal is because it's a video game.

Or, in short, I think Kojima tried to do something legitimately brilliant and ambitious. Maybe his reach exceeded his grasp but I appreciate the fact he tried.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Solid Snake is clearly at peace and the happiest and healthiest he's been all series in MGS2. It's like he said when quoting Gray Fox - "Fighting is the only thing I was good at but at least I always fought for what I believed in." MGS1 was about how he tied to retire but all it did was drive him to alcoholism and he rushed back to fighting in Shadow Moses because he craved the action so badly that he'd do anything to get back to the battlefield, including serving people who are clearly lying to and using him. Snake is a natural born fighter but in MGS2 he's using that for good, to fight for a cause he believes in, and he's not doing it alone. He has Otacon and others close to him.

It's Raiden who wanted only to be with his family and had two whole endings dedicated to leaving the battlefield to be with his beloved and their child. Then Revengeance said child soldiers can never stop being soldiers and reintegrate into society and he has to abandon his family to continue mutilating people for the rest of his life.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

My theory is that the entire RAY fight in MGS2 was a fever dream considering one puts up a decent fight against godly cyborg raiden in rising.

Anyways bringing the thread back on topic, there are two feature film length video essays (don't act like you don't have time to watch them if you care about the subject matter!!), one on MGS4 and one on MGS2 that are pretty good if the series interests you.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Was A Mistake is also one of the funniest videos on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-_r0w7ykI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGG940kArLE

That MGS4 video is great and is the longest such video I've rewatched multiple times. I completely forgot Johnny was a serial molester until the video reminded me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

I blame the Nolan Batman movies for birthing this obsession with the no-kill rule
back in '89 batman yanked the joker off a tower and nobody gave a gently caress

The faming is everything. Nolan's depiction of Batman's No Kill Rule presents Bats as a supremely noble figure who has a line he just won't cross because he's so noble and better than everyone.

As opposed to the far superior Under the Red Hood interpretation (and even Dark Knight Returns to a lesser extent) where Batman is a horribly disturbed maniac who has one rule because if he crosses that line he will become everything he fights against. It's not nobility, it's just the last shred of sanity for him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

Man of Steel is the greatest super hero movie of all time imo. It gave the concept of super powered beings actual weight and meaning and consequences. The final fight is the closest we'll ever get to a (good) live action Dragon Ball Z fight :allears:
Also I found superman being coded as neurodivergent made him really relatable to me :unsmith:

I love MoS, it's one of my favorites, but even if we keep this to live-action superhero films....

Does The Crow count as a superhero film? Or Sin City?

At the very least, Ang Lee's Hulk is my favorite and that should count.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

At least we can all agree that the best dub of all time is Yu Yu Hakusho.

YYH does have an all time legendary dub and it's Exhibit A when people try to act like English Dubs only got good in the mid 2000s or something. I liked many dubs in the 90s and early 2000s.

But I don't think dubbing companies dub OP's much anymore and it makes me sad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JUZhF9Kx8

Also all the talk about dubs focuses on anime when we got stuff like Metal Gear Solid and many other big time Japanese games from "earlier" that hit it out of the park. Xenosaga Episode 1 was my second JRPG ever and together with Inuyasha (which is how I found out about XS1, I had recorded iY on my VCR and during it a commercial for Xenosaga came up) made me a lifelong lover of Japanese pop culture. I love both their dubs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Mentioning dubs and Slayers and One Piece all in the same breath just makes me think of how Sanji and Xellos's voice actor sounded like Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Bros.

Eric Vale (Sanji) is great and his ability to go from Sanji's normally raspy, scratchy voice to his high-pitched singsong voice when girls are around is always entertaining.

Dawgstar posted:

There'd be a good video from somebody like the Cartoon Cipher about early good dubs. El-Hazard, You're Under Arrest!, Slayers (once Crispin Freeman takes over as Zelgadis), etc.

I'd also love to see a video like that. Throw in Fushigi Yuugi! The man who would become Solid Snake as a prettyboy shojo male lead. Also a lot of the other "usual suspects" like Kirk Thornton or Richard Epcar but also people you don't hear enough anymore like Bridget Hoffman or Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn.

Okay many of the voices outside of these aren't very good but it worked for me. Nakago has such a badass voice, I think it was the dude who did the narration for Stardust Memory. These are like the only things I know him from.

Also I couldn't get into Slayers. I watched the one with Copy Rezo where they ended on fighting the all powerful little boy. Voice-acting I remember May from Pokemon was the main lady I think and Ash was the little girl with the hammer. I mainly watched it because a lot of folks on a forum I used to post on were super into it. But there's like a ton of stuff, LNs, manga, all the different anime... But just didn't hook me after I gave it a try.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Star Man posted:

Honestly, I find people that never miss an opportunity to remind me that JK Rowling is a monster and that's why they disowned Harry Potter or try to make up poo poo about a series of books they used to admire to come off as if they weren't that into it in the first place more annoying.

Yeah. HP was unbelievably huge with kids, teens, adults, boys, girls, people of all classes and races and from all over the world. I dunno why anybody would specify middle class white girls.

I was reading an interesting book analyzing the ethics of LOTR, HP. and Twilight - popular fantasy and all - and the chapter on HP's ethics goes over how the New York Times had to invent a new category for Best Sellers just to accommodate HP's consistent domination. Also had quotes from reviewers giving their ideas on why it succeeded. Basically it was a very well done blending of styles.

quote:

Several critics have noted the creative blend of genres that is rolled into the series. Anne Hiebert Alton has pointed to elements of pulp fiction, ghost and horror stories, gothic elements, narrative structures from the detective genre, aspects of the Bildungsroman, the Victorian boarding or public school story, the sports story, elements of fairy and folk tales, aspects of the quest fantasy but also adventure plots, and quest romance (Alton, 2009, p. 221). In Alton’s view, Rowling blends all these genres while moving towards the epic and in doing so is original. Lee Siegel notes that Rowling has mastered the conventions of the James Bond movie:

So far, every book ends with the standard Bond wrap-up, in which the captured British agent – in this case, Harry Potter – waits patiently to be killed while the villain helpfully explains the fine points of the plot, reviews the highlights of his villainy, and discusses his plans for the future. (Siegel, 1999)

This narrative device, taken from the epitome of action films, under- scores rapid narrative pace as a feature of the series. Steven Barfield has argued that ‘the generic complexity and hybridity of the text makes it both hard to fit within the conventional genres of either boarding school story or fantasy, while simultaneously recalling critical histories of the two genres involved’ (Barfield, 2005, p. 193). Barfield further considers that this hybridity ‘allows the possibility of rather complex kinds of correspondence between text and world to be established’, thereby offering perspectives that could not be made by either genre alone (Barfield, 2005, p. 193). Others simply regard Rowling as a trader in well worn clichés and stolen images: ‘Ms. Rowling’s world is a secondary secondary world, made up of intelligently patchworked derivative motifs from all sorts of children’s literature’ (Byatt, 2003). In the view of this book, the weaving of multiple formal trajectories into the same storyline highlights both Rowling’s skills as an author and her popular success: as will become clear, her implied author sets up, and delivers on, several narrative schemata and thereby several layers of reader expectation simultaneously.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Impermanent posted:

i don't really think "Quality of world building" is a thing that affects the longevity of media in the minds of audiences globally or nationally. it's just a thing that serves as a salve for a particular kind of escapist impulse. strong plots, relatable characters and huge popularity upon its original reception seem to be the most reliable indicators.

Much as Sanderson fans like me can rave bout his worldbuilding and meticulously thought out magic systems, you're right. If his books didn't have Vin or Kelsier or Dalinar, I wouldn't give a poo poo about them.

fun hater posted:

i work with kids who are obsessed with one piece and dragon ball still. warms my heart. it must feel good as an artist to know things you make resonate with all ages and people. im not sure how many people strive for universality consciously with their work but when it happens it kind of whips rear end.

On the topic of pop culture longevity, DB is now a shambling zombie franchise but even before Toriyama decided to make Battle of Gods and earn billions more dollars, it was still receiving far more discussion and stuff online than other finished series. I remember how hard it was to find people to talk about Death Note in 2015. I remembered how crazy huge it was just a few years ago but almost nothing when I read the manga. The complete opposite with DB where Z and GT were long finished but everyone still got on tons of different forums to debate and discuss it.

Some series just hang on. I dunno why some things stick around and others don't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Someday somebody will realize The Rescuers was the best Disney movie. Someday.

And yes, I prefer it to Down Under. Down Under is scary. I want my funny hillbilly animals, not scary poacher man feeding kids to crocodiles.

But yeah, of course Bernard and Bianca fall in love quickly, and I'm glad Lindsay talks about "falling in love" vs "actually getting married." Notably, Bernard and Bianca don't get married until the sequel, or engaged rather.

But the point is it's a fuckin' movie and a common feature of drat near every movie ever with romance and action is you gotta keep up the pace in both action and romance. It's not antifeminist to fall in love immediately or in a week, it's just the way the story has to be told.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

While I understand Chip and Ironicus wanting to move away from their old RPs, I'll be forever sad that "who IS a pokemon in this crazy world??" is gone

i dunno if it's among these, but just in case you didn't know about this, somebody reuploaded several Chip RPs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4HoICBflTyu9pwqsD50kg/videos

Also when I was looking through RP's channel for their most popular vids to see if I had missed anything, I came across this solo effort by Diabetus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvhceQWlAo

It is really is an amazing time capsule.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I recently discovered this Dead Meat channel on YT. Not that it's obscure, I just don't watch much YT content consistently apart from a few select individual creators.

But anyway, I've really been enjoying James' blend of comedy and facts. I don't really watch much horror anymore but I of course still appreciate the effort and genius that went into them. Most notable for me, and why I'm making this post, is his review of the Child's Play reboot. Whatever the franchise had become, it was still helmed by people who loved it and respected the creator's vision. Just dumping all of them is pretty lovely, no matter the quality of the reboot.

James' unfailing commitment to always prop up and put over the people behind even lovely movies is really cool and part of why I love him, along with his comedy and the fact we're both the same age, from Michigan and love pro-wrestling.

Also he's right that Movie Jack Torrence and Wendy suck and are totally unbelievable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Some of the best anime dubs I've heard have been the times when the series was just god-awful originally, so they didn't even try to translate it and just started doing riffs and jokes. There was some weird dueling-oriented series that used to come on Cartoon Network at, like, 4:00am (in that weird hour when Adult Swim had ended but Cartoon Network wasn't starting up the morning cartoons yet) that did this, and I remember it being hilarious.

Was it Beyblade? I know what you're talking about I think and I was always trying to figure out what show it was, too. It sounded so much like a parody dub with the old school line delivery and poo poo?

Of course, Ghost Stories will probably always be King in this department I know this vid is hardly obscure and it's also a few yaars old now but I only recently found it since I don't watch much YT content in this area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhlWhyZdUMU

EDIT:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

pretty sure you mean duel masters, which didn't get like, an outright joke dub but it knew what it was working with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv44gh2OnxM

That is probably it, thanks.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 5, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The best dub is Medabots followed by YYH.

I still can't believe Funi went from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGa-2BSFiI

to YYH in just a few years. Hell, even by the Cell Saga they had improved a lot from the total embarrassment that was Season 3.

They're really lucky they did the dub when they did before anime hit it big. And also lucky Toriyama made a deal with a demon or something so that DB would be a mega super hit no matter what awful localization it underwent. Because it's not like Ocean was any better - their VAs were better but their music was much worse than both the original or Faulconer, and their script was just as bad. (in fact, I think they used identical scripts to Funi?)

In spite of all this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmhbMDFSveQ

DBZ went on to take the English-speaking world by storm. It really had no business being that popular, either on its own merits and especially not with what localization it was given at the time. Dragon Ball meanwhile was a much better written series with a much better dub yet never took off here.

All this is a necessary preface to establish why YYH was such a feat.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 5, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Funimation used the script that was written up for use by Ocean when Saban was still licensing DBZ. Phelous's video about the Big Green dub of DBZ goes into a good amount of detail around how weird the dubbing and rights of early English DBZ got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JetTiDQ3NwU

There's a large chunk of the show from the Ginyu Force fight to the Androids that literally didn't get dubbed by Ocean and Ocean only managed to do the rest of the series thanks to Canadian content laws insisting that a certain percentage of every show be made in Canada. So Canadian viewers got to listen to Ocean, then it switched to Funimation for a bit, then back to Ocean except with a number of voice changes and a soundtrack that was even worse.

But I do say that until DBZ Kai came out, Ocean had the better voices, for the most part. The Ginyu Force sounds way better in Ocean, and there's no contest for the different versions of Buu they sound amazing in Ocean. Vegeta and Piccolo are perhaps tied but thats because both Funi and Ocean go in wildly different directions with the characters.

Thanks for the link.

Sabat's Kai Piccolo is just kind of his normal voice so far as I can tell. He sounds like Sabat's Zoro and "Small Might." I can understand why he toned own the cartoonish gruffness but, bringing it back to YYH, I do wonder if YYH was redubbd or had a sequel or something made today, if he'd redo Kuwabara's voice to be more realistic, too. And of course YYH committed the cardinal sin of giving characters accents like Chu being a demon Australian.

Anyway, I had a lot of problems with Kai's dub, mainly with the new cast. I love Coleen Clinkenbeard but nobody is always on and perfect and her Eighteen was so disappointing and forgettable compared to Z which had Meredith McCoy making Eighteen sound tough as nails and, together with the script. made Eighteen a bastion of dry wit. And I always loved Nadolny, more as Kid Goku than Gohan but she had her moment ss Gohan, like Cell Games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea it really is a very boring story of 'they figured out they could legally be dicks by accident, they chose to instead of saying 'hey heads up for future stuff you left out some really important clauses', we got a kinda funny in small doses dub where half the jokes are just 'what are you some kinda fag?????'

I mean, you don't have to like it, but that really isn't all the humor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikF41vqrwLU

Stuff like the random 70s superhero "LOOK OUT, TED!" is just as emblematic of the dub as what you mentioned. Or something like Greg Ayres going "thisisthefastestiveeverhadtomatchlipflaps"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think anybody was taken out of Persona 4 by Nanako calling you "Big Bro."

But I guess she isn't really Yu's little sister if that mattered at all to the Japanese side of things and what she called you there?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

there's also the wierd genre of "X but in highschool or as teens"

Batman Beyond is the obvious gold standard.

X Men Evolution is under rated imo.

What sets Evo apart though, apart from the strength of its writing and voice-acting, is the before and after aspect of it. The first season is the weakest but it's necessary for making Evo stand out. The kids were in a normal high school with normal friends doing normal human things like sports. There's a scene later on in Season 3 after the reveal of Mutantkind where the school has to give up all its sports trophies Jean won because maybe she cheated and used her powers. We see how some of their old friends accept them and some don't.

I think it was a great and underrated aspect of the show and makes the high school thing worth it.

Dawgstar posted:

And they really started playing with some of the comic's conceits and even stuff like going for non-traditional pairings, like Scott and Rogue. It got fun.

Well they couldn't very well do the old Wolverine/Cyclops/Jean love triangle without being super creepy.

I really do love X-Men Evolution. It's not the best animated comic cartoon ever but it is my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kgoRvp57E

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 17, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i love watching bad movies, i think they're funny. especially the more earnest they are

This is why I like Birdemic.

No matter how agreeable your message, being bad at art makes it totally worthless and even counterproductive.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't watched Linkara in forever but when somebody posted his review of The Dark Knight Returns, I was rather impressed with his coverage of the book. He was totally fair to its pros and cons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

It's not really the same as reading it in its entire... glory? but Justin Whang did a video covering it 2 years ago at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-HrspiKfY

Voidburger? I think I vaguely remember hearing about this insanity but I had no idea she was involved.

And as a lifelong Xenosaga fan, this is really weird to learn about.

Thanks for posting this.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I still don't understand the point of Haki narratively. I don't need a system of rules and defined hierarchy to explain why Zoro is so strong he makes weaker men panic and flee or how he's so good at swords he can cut through things he shouldn't be able to. I know he can do that cause he's very strong and very good at swords. Same poo poo with Usopps stuff. I don't need a new separate power system to learn that He's Really Good At Shooting and Figuring Out Where People Are. Because I already know he's just good at shooting. And most of the time Haki's just slapped on to go "OH this villains Triple Super Scary". It's all just incredibly lazy shorthand most of the time.

I just figured it was the only way to explain how the world functions.

Without Haki, somebody like Eneru could lay waste to pretty much everything and nobody could stop him. You need to explain how people without super rare Devil Fruits can keep the world running and stop mad Logias from demolishing most of the World Government if they felt like it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sydin posted:

There's a scene in the filler arc where Kaiba finds out Yugi lost a duel to some mook and just completely flips the gently caress out at him in the most over the top manner, and when the abridge version got to that episode LK was all "I honestly have no idea how to make this scene funnier than it already is."

Stuart just absolutely steals the show as Kaiba, say what you want about 4Kids they absolutely nailed that casting.

Arc Hammer posted:

Eric Stuart steals every show he's in. The guy was born to play hyperbolic drama queens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3KiG2tfloY

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sydin posted:

Anyway the best abridged series creator back in the day was hbi2k, all these nerds who can't even finish one series meanwhile he bangs out Berserk, Gantz, and Escaflowne, finishes all of them, then peaces out. What a legend.

Absolutely true. Once he got the nice Shakespeare lady onboard to help with female voices in Gantz, it got even better.

But his writing was always phenomenal and witty. I don't hold it against Lk because he was just a dude with a $5 mic having fun, he didn't expect this poo poo to blow up. But a lot of the folks following in his wake were lazy and bad. Not hbi2k, though. He loved Berserk and so he did his best to give it a proper parody.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

I honestly agree and feel like a lot of people (including Stephen King) were weirdly harsh on the character, which is especially weird because the entire subtext of the film is that she's a woman trapped in an abusive relationship even before ghosts started telling her husband to murder her. Like, if you watch the movie under the assumption "Jack was always abusive", then Wendy is a really accurate portrayal of someone being manipulated by an abusive spouse. Also, while attention is never directly drawn to it, she's the one actually doing all the caretaker responsibilities at The Overlook before Jack goes full murder-psycho.

As probably one of the very few people who has read the novel multiple times but never saw the movie at all, my impression has always been Movie Wendy is a shrieking damsel in distress compared to her much more active, badass self of the book. Now, as noted, I haven't seen it, I can only give what I have always heard and taken to be the "conventional" view of the film and character.

It sounds like the movie just radically changed both Jack and Wendy and their dynamic, and I'm partial to the novel's message which I've always heard the film jettisons. That and I read books way more than I watch movies.

EDIT:

On the tokenism/diversity topic, I dunno how many of you are my age (32) or even older, but this modern discourse is very weird to me. I grew up in the 90s - I watched a show called Puzzle Place on PBS where a whole episode was dedicated to the Native American puppet kid finding a Native American band because the African-American puppet kid had Stevie Wonder and the white kid had Bruce Springsteen. The Native American kid wanted a band "like him" or something.

And then there was also Extreme Ghostbusters which consisted of a Hispanic guy, a black guy, a Goth girl, and a man in a wheelchair.

So this all didn't start happening in 2010 or something. I dunno why the outrage only became so consistent then on.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Solitair posted:

So when the video-maker claims that everyone he talked to got bored of Bravely Second and didn't finish it, is he implying that they didn't do that for the first game? :psyduck:

Very true.

BD is incredibly boring, which is a shame. Fun battle system and some cool music but not enough to save it.