Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

My dads great, he's an architect and has run a small firm for basically his entire career... he's still working despite promising to retire when my sister went to college... that was ~10 years ago. Anyway, I guess he loves it and wouldn't know what else to do.

Dad computer story, our first computer was a 386sx. We must have gotten it in like 1990 or something. I remember coming down Christmas morning and my parents had written "MERRY CHRISTMAS" in green on a red background in MS Paint. Later on (I guess that day) dad was reading some word processing documentation and got to the part where it talked about how if you typed too much on a line, it would automatically word wrap, I remember him saying "wow..." like that was a really cool feature :allears:

Edit: It was a windows 3.1 port of the Children's Writing and Publishing Center (CPC on the commandline)

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 22, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my dad's a good dude, he's retiring this year (despite wanting to try to milk the pension increases at minimum job effort for a few more). 35 years as a telco field guy, first in phones, then T1/ISDN, then DSL, then fibre. plus a brief stint in management in the early 90s (he thought it might be worth the few extra bucks what with having a freshly-arrived future yosposter at home -- it wasn't, the hours sucked and he went back to being a boots on the ground T1 guy makin' sweet union bulletproof dosh a year later).

he's into motorcycles as many dads seem to be but us being canadian he's not an obnoxious dickbag about it. his main bike is a harley of some kind I can't remember because one of our relatives runs a dealership, but he's also got a yamaha cruiser iirc. he's an ICBC-certified instructor as well, has been for years

it's funny, my grandpa was a phone guy. my dad was a phone/network guy. I thought I'd not be a phone/network guy. I was fuckin wroooooong

Mr. Nice! posted:

my dad is a good dad that has been brain poisoned by facebook and is now in a medically induced coma because he was "living without fear" and his poker buddy that "tested negative on a rapid test" gave him the rona 4 weeks ago. over three weeks with straight fever and 11 days in the icu at max oxygen and 24/7 breathing assistance and he finally had to be put on a ventilator yesterday.

poo poo, buddy. hope your dad pulls through.

real glad mine's even more active about avoiding the roni than I am

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

i have a dad

i am a dad

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
my dad died young and spared me the pain of growing to love him as an individual and eventually losing him. thanks dad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dad is a high school music teacher who doesn't want to retire yet and i fear for his safety this year, since being around a bunch of singing teenagers seems like an effective way to get covid19

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0h_01wXyE

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my dad borat voice

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:same:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Hope you are ok Echi, the dad who decided to start a dad chat thread in a funny computer forum :)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

my kid was born the day the dang lockdown started so it’s been a fun time being a first time parent with zero help because everyone was afraid to come over (and we didn’t let anyone over)

I’m doing a much better job than my dad. he’s an ok dad for an emotionally distant redneck. he can fix stuff and taught me electronics and radio and computer poo poo so thanks dad for that instead of real tree camo and country music

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fart Sandwiches posted:

my kid was born the day the dang lockdown started so it’s been a fun time being a first time parent with zero help because everyone was afraid to come over (and we didn’t let anyone over)

pretty much :same:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
close to same for me, friendo

ours was 6 mo when lockdown hit, so it's been great having no opportunity to socialize him with other kids :shepicide:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's BVMTH's birthday today!

:woop:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my dad is insane in some difficult to define way. he’s super eccentric and weird and embarrassing. he’s super skinny but is a giant harley guy so has a big rear end beard and wears like flame shirts and jack daniels tshirts and poo poo

he is kinda fun to do ridiculous road trips with. I’ve had some quite good adventures driving all over australia, way out into middle of nowhere towns where he is quite good at striking up conversations with random locals and thereby having a ‘real’ experience. he has some romantic notion of the working class as everyday heroes and has been a big union guy his whole life (he’s a nurse).

he loves harleys and old american cars a lot and his idea of a good time is driving for 12+ hours a day and then getting drunk af and getting up and doing it again

he left my mum in dark circumstances when I was 4 or so and ended up moving to Perth (a 9 hour flight) so I would see him maybe every year or two. he was perma stoned and used to get blackout drunk and piss himself. I once woke up to him pissing into a chair in the room I was sleeping in

he also had a giant temper and go into enormous screaming tantrums about dumbass poo poo which were pretty scary when you were 12 and stuck a 9 hour flight from home for weeks with him

At some point 20ish years after he and my mum broke up he got back together with the woman he’d cheated on my mum with and they wanted to take her 7 y/o daughter back to perth with them. he asked me to testify at the family court that he was a good father. my mum heard about this somehow and got pissed so wrote them a letter to say he wasn’t grade-a and he went ballistic and rang me up in a rage so I told him she was right and we didn’t talk after that for like 8 years or something

I think this ending up breaking him a bit and he is significantly mellowed out now. we have a civil relationship. he had another kid when he was 60 and I think he is much better at normal poo poo now. I talk to him every few weeks cos I want to have some sort of relationship plus I want to know my half sister as she grows up

I use a lot of what he did that shitted me off as a model for how not to raise my kids and I think I am doing ok so far. he’s my dad and I love him but jeez he’s been a giant pain in the rear end all these years

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Gentle Autist posted:

he loves harleys and old american cars a lot

he also had a giant temper and go into enormous screaming tantrums about dumbass poo poo

sounds like lead poisoning, op

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my stepdad can never visit because he stopped paying his taxes when he left the us and is subject to potential arrest if he ever comes back despite changing his name, lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
look we've already covered this: Harleys are bad

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

look we've already covered this: motorbikes are bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

my dad is insane in some difficult to define way. he’s super eccentric and weird and embarrassing. he’s super skinny but is a giant harley guy so has a big rear end beard and wears like flame shirts and jack daniels tshirts and poo poo

he is kinda fun to do ridiculous road trips with. I’ve had some quite good adventures driving all over australia, way out into middle of nowhere towns where he is quite good at striking up conversations with random locals and thereby having a ‘real’ experience. he has some romantic notion of the working class as everyday heroes and has been a big union guy his whole life (he’s a nurse).

he loves harleys and old american cars a lot and his idea of a good time is driving for 12+ hours a day and then getting drunk af and getting up and doing it again

he left my mum in dark circumstances when I was 4 or so and ended up moving to Perth (a 9 hour flight) so I would see him maybe every year or two. he was perma stoned and used to get blackout drunk and piss himself. I once woke up to him pissing into a chair in the room I was sleeping in

he also had a giant temper and go into enormous screaming tantrums about dumbass poo poo which were pretty scary when you were 12 and stuck a 9 hour flight from home for weeks with him

At some point 20ish years after he and my mum broke up he got back together with the woman he’d cheated on my mum with and they wanted to take her 7 y/o daughter back to perth with them. he asked me to testify at the family court that he was a good father. my mum heard about this somehow and got pissed so wrote them a letter to say he wasn’t grade-a and he went ballistic and rang me up in a rage so I told him she was right and we didn’t talk after that for like 8 years or something

I think this ending up breaking him a bit and he is significantly mellowed out now. we have a civil relationship. he had another kid when he was 60 and I think he is much better at normal poo poo now. I talk to him every few weeks cos I want to have some sort of relationship plus I want to know my half sister as she grows up

I use a lot of what he did that shitted me off as a model for how not to raise my kids and I think I am doing ok so far. he’s my dad and I love him but jeez he’s been a giant pain in the rear end all these years

jesus christ man
thanks fir sharing

wow. my dad is a model too for how not to be but mostly in the way he treats my mother

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dad just randomly bringing home a modem and aol install disc for our system 7 mac :hellyeah:

the first website we visited was hamsterdance.com

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

look we've already covered this: dads are bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
dads, they can be good or bad but they leave an indelible mark on your psyche either way.

be a good dad, and get some therapy for your bad dad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my dads alright for a boomer 70’s hippy who loves nothing more than to spend his wealth on more guitars

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my dad was cool and good, but had very little going on in his own life outside of work, and when he retired a few years back he retreated into himself in a really depressive way. his father did much the same, so, idk, may be the fate that awaits me too.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my grandfathers were good, but never really spoke to me. very closed off. my mum told me that her father might have ptsd from stabbing a German teenage soldier multiple times when escaping a pow camp. amongst other things. my dads dad said that grandad regularly had nightmares from the desert campaign, one story from my dad was when he put a his tank shell into a German tank and almost being made to watch that crew burn to death because they had to save small arms ammo at that time.

my parents are very left, very anti war. I can understand why.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gentle Autist posted:

I use a lot of what he did that shitted me off as a model for how not to raise my kids and I think I am doing ok so far.

this has been my strat too

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

philip larkin posted:

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dads are a tool like anything else and cannot be innately good or evil, it's up to the person who uses the dad to choose to use him for good or evil

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my primary experience of my dad, and also my mom, is watching them read books and ignore me. this is how it was growing up and how it still is. they are brilliant people and great role models, but they have no idea how to be parents and no particular inclination to do so, and it has definitely turned me off from having kids. it would be cool if i could someday be as smart and accomplished as they are, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my dad is worse and is more likely to die than not. poo poo sucks. send a text to your dad to say hi even if he’s poo poo cause you might not get another chance.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just called my dad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Mr. Nice! posted:

my dad is worse and is more likely to die than not. poo poo sucks. send a text to your dad to say hi even if he’s poo poo cause you might not get another chance.

I hope you and your family have the love and support you need right now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I hope you and your family have the love and support you need right now

my sisters have taken my step mom out and they’re all drunk.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

dads are a tool like anything else and cannot be innately good or evil, it's up to the person who uses the dad to choose to use him for good or evil

Power Word: Dad
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 1 Household
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Dad, Mom, Grandma

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
my dad's great. always looked up to him and still do. he's got some weird quirks but is all around a great person and fun to hang around and talk to. always been a leftist and still is. worked as a programmer all his life, self-employed since around 1990 since he couldn't stand the corporate bullshit. since he always worked from home he spent a lot of time with us kids. we've been seeing each other less this year because of the 'rona but we've made some outdoor trips together.

he's into repairing things like many dads but sees it as a moral imperative to do it. once built an engine block heater based on the heating element from a coffee machine. other than that though he's a rather anti-macho type, hates status symbols and posturing, likes growing tomatoes and playing accordion. computer savvy enough to not use social media. runs Linux on the desktop, both for himself and for my mom. computer touchers can make good dads too.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 23, 2020

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Mr. Nice! posted:

wow that's awful, my parents are in their 70s and this is my biggest fear.

TheFluff posted:

my dad's great. always looked up to him and still do. he's got some weird quirks but is all around a great person and fun to hang around and talk to. always been a leftist and still is. worked as a programmer all his life, self-employed since around 1990 since he couldn't stand the corporate bullshit. since he always worked from home he spent a lot of time with us kids. we've been seeing each other less this year because of the 'rona but we've made some outdoor trips together.

he's into repairing things like many dads but sees it as a moral imperative to do it. once built an engine block heater based on the heating element from a coffee machine. other than that though he's a rather anti-macho type, hates status symbols and posturing, likes growing tomatoes and playing accordion. computer savvy enough to not use social media. runs Linux on the desktop, both for himself and for my mom. computer touchers can make good dads too.

Sounds like an extremely cool dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ADINSX posted:

wow that's awful, my parents are in their 70s and this is my biggest fear.

yeah it sucks.