Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my dad is probably on the autism spectrum and is very much in his own world about everything. He's generally very sweet but he used to get frustrated a lot and just generally acts like a huge dummy when it comes to any sort of social interaction. this sort of worked when my mom was around, but when she split he was responsible for raising three kids which he was just completely unequipped for.

my sisters have a lot of anger towards him, mostly because of what he failed to do. Personally I've made my peace. we get breakfast every week and he likes that. He'll tell me all about whatever physics or philosophy problem he's obsessed with and we'll talk about politics or other subjects he likes, like military history and his football team.

when we were little he used to make up all sorts of silly songs about our pets. All of us kids continue that tradition with our own :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dad just randomly bringing home a modem and aol install disc for our system 7 mac :hellyeah:

the first website we visited was hamsterdance.com

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my dad is vaguely thinking about upgrading his dual 2009/10 imac setup

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my dad collects scale models but never has the time to build them, so he always has this huge stash of kits of varying degrees of rarity

kinda same with hex-and-counter wargames. he keeps telling me about the latest one he is looking at but I don't think he's actually played one in a really long time. I should do that with him but we can only play quick small games we could finish in an afternoon because his wife would (understandibly) lose it if he left up a like 6' x 6' monster game for months

Ive recommended a couple of good wargames he could play on his computer but that just doesn't interest him

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
when my dad would play the star trek 25th anniversary game he had me help out in space battles by letting me control photon torpedoes and the button that made the tactical view fullscreen

so he'd say "onscreen!" and I'd press the v key (I think) and hammer the space bar when the torpedoes loaded while he controlled phasers and damage control with the mouse

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a few weeks ago, i suggested that my dad and I play a wargame. he appears to be getting comfortable with the idea; he just set up a game and showed it to me, but did not mention actually playing it with me. it looks pretty cool. its set in january 1945 - one player controls the red army, and the other controls the western allies as they race to conquer germany. what's cool is that the soviet player also controls the western german armies, while the allied player controls the okw forces on the eastern front, giving each player the opportunity to slow the other down.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that sounds interesting, what's the game called?

can't remember now - I'll update when I see him next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that sounds interesting, what's the game called?

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3003