Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

he also used to call harley davidsons tractors and go on and on about how lovely they were

well they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my dad built nuclear warheads so if it wasn't for him you'd all be speaking russian by now (except for those of you who speak russian of course, nothing would appreciably change for you)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

how else will they know that harleys suck? its just basic knowledge that kids need to know. I didn't show any interest in european history but they taught me anyway.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

either congratulations on or RIP to your inheritance

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Propaganda works on everyone. It'll even work on you.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

look we've already covered this: Harleys are bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dads are a tool like anything else and cannot be innately good or evil, it's up to the person who uses the dad to choose to use him for good or evil

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

some past dad stories/facts i've previously posted which some of you may recall:

- admitted he watched nascar for the crashes

???

this is the only reason why anyone watches nascar. It's just a long fast left turn otherwise.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sounds like he's a lot more alive too, thats a nice bonus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

mate .. this hits me. I just don’t know how to do with this my dad, coz he’s always so contrary with his terrible closed minded music opinions. I told him to watch the video where danny carey drums pneuma and he watched a minute of it while reading the comments and then said neil peart from rush was better even tho he never listened to rush and doesn’t realise danny carey is such good friend with neil that he played at neils tribute after he died, and danny is clearly good enough to be in neils company. his attitude that stuff was better in the 70s and that it’s basically impossible to improve on it and is closed minded to anything else. gently caress don’t get me started 🤬 he pisses me off so much lol

i never thought I'd see a "i dont get along with my dad because he thinks Neil Peart is the best drummer" but here we are.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

my dad never had a father and lived in orphanages and moved dozens and dozens of times. when he had us he committed himself to have one home and never move, and that home was always open and we could always stay. that was excellent to be fair. shame he never really adjusted any other part of his parenting. he lived his life for himself. motorcycling every other weekend and fishing whenever he wasn’t. remember when I first had kids and he told me I should find a hobby to escape the family. he’s also told me he felt like an outsider in our family but that’s his own doing not my mum’s like he says. whenever my mum is talking to me he listens in the background and groans every 3 seconds at her. it’s so disrespectful. then my mum might tease him about something, and he’ll storm out complaining about put downs. he’s so loving useless. my mum hurt her hip and had to use a crutch to move around. did my dad offer to do the lawns? no she did them. when she broke her hip and it was still healing, he pissed off and did some bullshit and let her move the house by herself which damaged her healing hip. she cooks all the meals and he just complains like he’s meant to be a critic. her life will improve so much when he dies. he left her for another woman and when it didn’t work out he came back and she let him. she’s made a rod for her own back that way. then he moved out by himself and had to get a loan and she was the guarantoor for that for some reason. he then realised he can’t do anything for himself and then moved back home with debt. he owns an old toyota 4runner which has done almost 400k km and the repairs are getting so expensive that my mum has to end up paying because they have seperate money but he wastes all his money on coffee at a cafe far away that’s basically like cheers but a cafe. i’ve inherited terrible money skills from him. he mocks my kids haircuts. he calls them pansies if they get hurt and cry. he’s unashamedly homophobic. he believes the indigenous people here should have a day a year of being thankful to the whites for improving their lives. gently caress

My dad was super crappy as well but the thing you have to remember is that dads aren't perfect and sometimes they come from nothing and don't know how to do anything. Lord knows I sure don't.

All I know is that I am a marginally better dad than my dad, which is a pretty low bar, and honestly he was better than his dad, which is basically the lowest bar on earth - grandpa was a fuckin piece of work i tell you what.

I don't have much of an example of how to be a dad, more of a counterexample really, but your dad didn't even have that. So idk man. Forgiveness doesn't cost you a lot and has potentially large returns.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like no one is saying you gotta be pals. but just some acknowledgement that you know he did the best he knew how.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

okay but that's kind of meaningless

ok then dont, idgaf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i cant believe moocow is shaggys son, this thread is nuts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

some wild dads in this thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I’m looking at my dad right now, out in the yard, hitting a power pole with a bit of wood for some reason.

is that how you guys get electricity down there?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my dad bought us a TI994/A and then mocked me for programming it so like i'm not sure what the point of that was

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

presumably it was because i was drawing lines on the screen and stuff and not doing numbers and spreadsheets like a proper computer guy idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

my dad is out of the icu and in a regular room!!!

I'm super glad your dad is doing better.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

there needs to be a greybeard version of :smug:

:chord:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i feel like it still is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

trampolines are super fun and the simpsons thing where every kid in the neighborhood wants a turn and is horribly hurt on it is completely factual.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

kids loving love the zoo. we buy annual memberships

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im more a fan of "everything come out ok?" but "did you fall in" is classic

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

"Look, horses" for life

right?? what kind of sociopath doesn't call attention to horses when they seem them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that is a fuckin STRONG comedic family

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aw he passed away in 2016, RIP dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

“we needed this rain” backed by “boy its really coming down out there” is an unbeatable dad one-two combo

"like a cow pissin on a flat rock"