Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am drinking my tea....:siren:WITHOUT MILK:siren:

to this day i don't know if people drinking tea with milk in it is a real thing or it's a wind up that everyone but me on the planet is in on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno

yung swamp thang

Dip Viscous posted:

to this day i don't know if people drinking tea with milk in it is a real thing or it's a wind up that everyone but me on the planet is in on

i have asked for peppermint tea from runners at work (it's a funny "client hospitality" situation at a facility wherein i am not the client but am treated as one because the client COULD be there with me) who, being british and i guess not very familiar with non-english-breakfast tea, put milk in the goddam peppermint tea by default.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dip Viscous posted:

over extracted orange pekoe can only be consumed with milk and sugar

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I drink about all my tea with milk mostly to cool it down but I think sugar makes it gross, whereas with coffee I dump a pound of sugar in each cup. I’m slowly learning through oooooooolongs and herbal teas to wait until the tea is cool enough to drink and then it’s nice without milk too!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My advice is to brew cooler to begin with

I almost never use boiling water for anything besides black teas, which are in general not my favorite to begin with so YMMV

Oolongs are usually just below boiling but I might even go cooler than that (80-90⁰C)

Japanese greens are my thing and I will usually do those at 55-65⁰C and they come out great if you like the umami styles

Dip Viscous

i don't even hate it conceptually, especially with black tea, but it would make me absolutely NUKE the toilet later

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been back on plain regular yorkshire gold for the past few days and it's just really good.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
hello, tea friends, good luck on everybody's teas, i am gonna do some tea this eve

Vivian Darkbloom

Heath posted:

My advice is to brew cooler to begin with

I almost never use boiling water for anything besides black teas, which are in general not my favorite to begin with so YMMV

Oolongs are usually just below boiling but I might even go cooler than that (80-90⁰C)

Japanese greens are my thing and I will usually do those at 55-65⁰C and they come out great if you like the umami styles

can you recommend a flavorful Japanese green tea that's not super expensive?

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

can you recommend a flavorful Japanese green tea that's not super expensive?

If you like toasty flavors, genmaicha (brown rice tea.) Many places carry matcha-infused variety that is just fantastic. The matcha kind might be slightly more expensive but it packs an extra caffeine hit and emboldens the flavor a tad. The tea is cut with toasted brown rice and that accounts for a lower cost - makes for a good daily drinker. Even if you can't get the matcha type the regular kind is also very good

If you want something more straight forwardly green, try konacha ("powder" tea, as distinguished from "powdered" tea, which is matcha.) Konacha is made of the broken leaf bits that get sifted out from sencha and gyokuro production. It's the same stuff, but since the leaves are so small and broken up, they will extract hard and fast, so I recommend brewing cool and short for konacha so it doesn't get overwhelmingly bitter. Maybe 60-65⁰C for 30 seconds and adjust from there. Higher temperatures = more bitterness, generally speaking. This is also a good daily drinker and it may be initially expensive because it tends to be sold in bulk but you will get a shitload of leaf. It's also generally lower caffeine than other options so it's a good dinner tea

Edit: you may find konacha called "sushi tea" since it's often what's served in restaurants due to its economy. It is very good with salmon especially because it has a buttery flavor

Heath fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2021

Escape From Noise

Seconding maccha infused genmai

Vivian Darkbloom

I'm finishing up a tin of Genmaicha right now. I see what you mean about the kind with matcha being more expensive, so maybe that will be a sometimes treat instead of something I'm drinking everyday.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The matcha kind is real good but it does all come off in the first brew of course so it does make for a steep drop-off in boldness. Tea is still very good!! But second steep doesn't compare to first.

Vivian Darkbloom

I got 100 grams of sencha (Sugimoto brand, no labeled grade) and it's p darn tasty. I think I've tried more of the matcha side of Japanese green tea in the past, and this sencha has a wonderfully developed flavor compared to the more upfront "green" flavor in the matcha I've had. First brew was at 65 C for 2 minutes, and I'm guessing I can get two more good pots out of it.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sencha is a wide world among Japanese greens and the amount of variance makes for a good reason to experiment. It's like the baseline of "tea" and is what most people drink so there's a lot of different grades and techniques wrt shading and growing environment and such

Escape From Noise

Also growing regions. Uji and Shizuoka are traditionally viewed as really high quality. Yamato cha from Nara was traditionally, but it's not as well known anymore.

Shin cha is new tea, very recently picked.

I actually don't know a ton about Japanese tea though.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nara is also where there is a park full of DEER

Escape From Noise

aldantefax posted:

Nara is also where there is a park full of DEER

I lived in Nara prefecture, but about an hour and a half away by car. Way in the boonies. They hunted and ate the deer there. It's also where I learned how terrifying the mating call of deer sound.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

trying some 'baker street blend' from uptons and it's not my favorite. It has some lapsang souchong in it and I really don't like that flavor of smokiness. Very resiny/piney ad reminds me of retsina. Wish someone would make hardwood smoked tea? Maybe beech or oak or hickory?

Bilirubin

enjoying my Keemun Imperial organic black today. Love seeing how the leaves swell out

OMGVBFLOL posted:

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

trying some 'baker street blend' from uptons and it's not my favorite. It has some lapsang souchong in it and I really don't like that flavor of smokiness. Very resiny/piney ad reminds me of retsina. Wish someone would make hardwood smoked tea? Maybe beech or oak or hickory?

Add milk and try it out if the lapsang is not jiving

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

aldantefax posted:

Add milk and try it out if the lapsang is not jiving

I had it with milk! Kind of bitter? Idk I had the same reaction when I tried straight regular lapsang. I like smoky but like, oaky wine or peaty scotch smoky and lapsang is just the wrong kind of smoky for me, apparently.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Ahhh. Yeah, there are some tricks to dealing with it, doing a resteep and tossing the first steep is also good, and milk could further help take the edge off, but if you don't like it, then nothin doin!

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think lapsang is one of those teas you need to pair with food. It's not a "I'm gonna sit down and have some tea" tea. Like you almost need something to absorb the smokiness

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I drink lapsang straight, or used to, it's been awhile. Depending on which you get you can get chocolate notes out of it after a few steepings.

Escape From Noise

Bilirubin posted:

enjoying my Keemun Imperial organic black today. Love seeing how the leaves swell out

Keemun slaps.

Escape From Noise

Haven't been drinking enough tea lately. Got a matcha infused green tea recently. That's been pretty good.

Bilirubin

It really does. Its just loving nice. I mean I prefer the Yunnan had more going on but for a basic black tea this is perfect

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Chamomile time

Escape From Noise

Bilirubin posted:

It really does. Its just loving nice. I mean I prefer the Yunnan had more going on but for a basic black tea this is perfect

Oh man. Yunan. It's so good

Uria aalge

Chi-la-la-la-lax

Heath posted:

If you like toasty flavors, genmaicha (brown rice tea.) Many places carry matcha-infused variety that is just fantastic. The matcha kind might be slightly more expensive but it packs an extra caffeine hit and emboldens the flavor a tad. The tea is cut with toasted brown rice and that accounts for a lower cost - makes for a good daily drinker. Even if you can't get the matcha type the regular kind is also very good

If you want something more straight forwardly green, try konacha ("powder" tea, as distinguished from "powdered" tea, which is matcha.) Konacha is made of the broken leaf bits that get sifted out from sencha and gyokuro production. It's the same stuff, but since the leaves are so small and broken up, they will extract hard and fast, so I recommend brewing cool and short for konacha so it doesn't get overwhelmingly bitter. Maybe 60-65⁰C for 30 seconds and adjust from there. Higher temperatures = more bitterness, generally speaking. This is also a good daily drinker and it may be initially expensive because it tends to be sold in bulk but you will get a shitload of leaf. It's also generally lower caffeine than other options so it's a good dinner tea

Edit: you may find konacha called "sushi tea" since it's often what's served in restaurants due to its economy. It is very good with salmon especially because it has a buttery flavor

Oh yes, brown rice tea, haven’t had that for years, it’s so good!

I have so little time for tea these days, used to drink various green teas and herbal infusions every day, but now I’m a new parent there is no time to chill with tea, I run on black coffee (and the occasional black tea, but only if cooled down a bit)

Thank you for the winter sig, Heather Papps!

Thanks for the summer sig, ChubbyChecker!

"Nobody owns life, but everyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death" - Kurt Cobain

Finger Prince

Hey tea crew, do you need yet another exciting tea brewing device which does nothing better than the dozen methods you already have, but looks cool doing it?

https://i.imgur.com/bJbStJJ.gifv

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I saw that. It looks like something I'd pull out if I were brewing for guests but never any other time

Actually I don't even know if I'd use it for guests, it isn't very big

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

idk why but yorkshire gold is like my fav tea for some reason. I keep coming back to it. So rich and malty/chocolatey or somethin.

Escape From Noise

Gonna have some hotel hojicha before I check out.

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Had some before bed sleepytime last night.

Name checks out.

Confirmed helluva drug

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Just toasted up a quarter pound of yerba mate. I've been experimenting with taking it to different colors/oxidation and i think my absolute favorite is a nice bright medium brown. Its just nutty enough to tamp down the herbaciousness of green yerb while still tasting nice and bright. Makes an absolutely incredible cup hot or cold. Sometimes I'll pour two cups and just let the second one steep for however long it takes me to remember it (hours)

Thrown over ice with a teaspoon of honey and I'm a happy boy

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
My cups hold a liter. I really like tea but i drink enough i have to stick to the cheap stuff.

I miss the good ole days of monthly 100 dollar upton orders

Vivian Darkbloom

I keep trying to get three pots out of this sencha but it doesn't really work. The first I do for a minute at 70 C and the second is a minute at 80 C, and then I have to have it really hot to get anything out for a third steep and it tastes comparatively bland. Oh well, it's really good for the first two! I've been using about 2 teaspoons sencha for 4 cups water which is probably weaker than usual but I really like tea and go through a lot of it. Well that's my post about tea, thanks for reading

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Someone was like “hey you should brew this tea that you’ve never brewed before also it was hella expensive but you’re good at making tea, right” and then 8 people sat at the table to drink tea

I was like, “uhhh ok” and I brewed it, Grass People Tree’s “Slow Mellow Yellow”, which is probably the most finicky category of tea by temperature, but I think I managed to brew and pour a pretty respectable cup

Then I kicked everybody out of the teahouse because it was after closing, dohohoho

Also, I have gone to said tea house enough that they asked me to volunteer, and now, I am the volunteer coordinator there and have a key, so I can come and go as I please!