Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Demon’s Souls would be a really hard act to follow. I don’t think this game is ripe for a latter-day third party expansion, that rarely ends well.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Oh so its 26... 26 years since Kings Field... not one, but two :eyepop:

Give me King’s VRd Fromsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

The layout and enemies encounters are largely finished. It wouldn't be too big of a stretch for them to extrapolate a bit.

Though, it'd also be cool if FROM worked with BP to make the 6th archstone, as unlikely as it is.

It would be a big extrapolation. What exists in the files is the skeleton of 6-1, with basic texturing and no item placements or progression. Or bosses, you would have to come up with those from scratch. Also 6-2 and 6-3 in their entirety.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The lizard rules in this game are so infuriating. Honestly can’t believe they didn’t just change it to something that doesn’t sound like a cackling madman contrived it as a curse

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trying not to dig too deep on the thread since this is a rare opportunity for me to play a game blind (I never played DeS) but can someone give me a quick walkthrough or key points of how exactly magic works in this in comparison to the other Souls games? I started with a spell class and... spells are unlimited? I see the blue magic bar by my health but it seems to refill after cast? Can I really go hog wild with spells? What’s going on?

Same system as Dark Souls 3, except mp restore items are consumable and magic is actually good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

neurotech posted:

Arghhh all this talk of magic builds makes me want to start again as Royalty. Is it really that strong, and does that strength last throughout the game?

Royalty is the easiest start by far, to the point where it's fairly broken. It can stay the same level of good the whole game, but only if you look up what gear and spells to get. If you want an easier than usual start that doesn't break the game, try Temple Knight.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

shrike82 posted:

what hat is that (i'm new to the series)

Monk’s head collar aka custard tornado

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey thread, once I get my Kris to +5, I'd like a spell damage weapon for my alternate, and I'm pretty bored of the Cresvent Falshion. What are the other weapons that scale with spell damage, and also does this "lava bow" i'm reading about scale with spell damage?

Also how does the +spell resistance stat on my Rune shield interact with me Kris/Ring/Headwrap? Does the extra spell defense help me at all when the shield is just equipped, or do I have to equip it or hold L1 to get the spell resist?

I remember really liking the phosphorescent pole for a magic build. It’s a spear that regens MP like a crescent weapon and has great scaling. It’s somewhere in Latria, might need black tendency?

Lava bow has little scaling but it stuns enemies because of the fire damage, that’s why it’s good.

IIRC the rune shield gives a flat bonus to magic defense whenever you have it out, even if you’re not actively blocking with it (though it can also block magic fairly well on top of that). the kris, ring and hat lower magic defense by a percentage. So it’s not going to do much to counterbalance them, especially all three together.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m really not looking forward to having to fight all these bosses the ‘fair’ way on my second character.

Anyone ever had any success with a Paladin//Miracles build? I just wanna have powerful holy magic and a tower shield and huge stacks of health regen.

Faith is very strong in this game. There’s only one direct damage miracle, Wrath of God, but it whips rear end. You also get some excellent weapons like Istarelle, meat cleaver, and the moonlight greatsword.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I killed patches the trap guy because I thought I was supposed to. Did I mess up?

He becomes a fairly useful vendor in the Nexus if you don’t, but also he’s a jerk, so it’s ok to gently caress him over.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think I need to spend like an hour farming souls to stock up on grass because I’m constantly running out it the drat thing.

Usually quicker to farm grass directly. Run through 1-2 a couple times and you’ll get a good bit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

How so? Like speedrunners prefer cinematic mode or?

Collision doesn't load in immediately when you switch to cinematic from performance so you can use the switch to clip through walls in a couple of places.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 25, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mistermojo posted:

maneaters is so annoying, sometimes they just fly around for a while for no reason?

Yup. One more reason to pick up a bow/play a mage

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what’s the go-to Faith/Regen build like? Just slap the adjudicator shield + blessed weapon then max out Faith and Vit? Any particular weapon of choice or upgrade / leveling priorities when starting out?

Adjudicator shield, regenerator’s ring from 4-1, blessed mace+1 from 5-1 (or other weapon of your choice to make blessed, mirdan hammer is the classic pick). Upgrade shield and weapon all the way, it upgrades the regen too. Vit and faith to 50, end to 40

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Edit: is this also the last boss of the game?

It could be, depending on the order in which you did things. You gotta kill the archdemon of each world, Allant is usually the last of the five but you can technically do him any time after you kill the first archdemon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There’s more types than that, sucker stone for bleed, mercury stone for poison, marrow stone for bonus crits, darkmoon stone as an alternate magic upgrade that gives mp regen but tanks physical scaling, and also one path exclusive to bows and one exclusive to shields, which is kind of weird.

Also fire weapons don’t scale in this game, they just do a lot of damage

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are there any weird benchmark/tiers to matchmaking in this game like in Dark Souls where it’s based on weapon upgrades? And what are the general floors for PVP/doing co-op ship. Is 120 still the go to in this game?

120/125 is for duels. idk what it is like at that level at the moment, but in old DeS the point of going to 125 was if you wanted to hang out in a fight club at the start of 4-1 all day. If you want to do invasions you can get hits at pretty much any level. 80 will let you invade people who are endgame ready but not PvP optimized chars

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maneaters strike again

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sammus posted:

Is it considered in poor taste to run Old Monk invades using the scraping spear? Because I think I just ruined every weapon and piece of gear this one guy had.

It’s grief and/or invitation for others to grief you. But that’s what the fight’s all about

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Is the parrying dagger actually better at parrying than other weapons/shields?

Anecdotally yes, it has a longer active window, but I don’t think anyone has ever gone to the trouble of getting the frame data to prove it like they have for the other games.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Demon’s Souls is a dungeon crawling game first and foremost and that’s not true of any of the other games, though early on in DS1 it seems like it is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Still waiting on Izalith Regained

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

The Undead Settlement in DS3 was always weird to me because the view you get of it from above and the wide layout of the level make it really feel like it’s supposed to be a central hub that connects to multiple areas but no it just has the one exit to the road of sacrifice

It was supposed to be. Earlier in development it connected to Carthus (below Greatwood’s arena), God’s Grave (entire area was cut/reworked into Ringed City), and Smoldering Lake (not sure where this linked up)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I thought they patched out wrong warp?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sekiro also has the metroidvania style world, even with free warp

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They split zones for multiplayer purposes. Going through a door that was fog-walled will remove a placed soul sign even if the fog wall isn’t there anymore.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Each of the worlds in DeS is supposed to regularly give you a resource through enemy drops, the idea being that if you are running low on something you can go to another world to stock up. Boletaria is for grass, Stonefang is for upgrades, Latria is for spice, Shrine is for souls, and Valley is for the inner power that comes from loathing and rage at video games

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The new music is where it suffers most from “this is like Dark Souls right?” It’s not that it’s all bad and some of it fits in, but drat do I miss Flame Lurker’s original music.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PWCT gives you bonus damage as a soul

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

seiferguy posted:

The better use of the swollen soul is to get the meat cleaver instead of the reverting miracle, yeah? I have a faith build already so two of weapons usually already are regening my health.

Yes. Meat cleaver is brokenly good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I was waiting for some help to beat the 1-4 boss and got invaded. Died naturally because I wasn't prepared for a pvp fight. Is there a way out of fighting them besides banish? I lost a fuckton of souls because of that. I'm not above being a dick and quitting the game if thats what it takes.

Play in soul form, or play offline

Can’t summon but that’s the price.

You can also sometimes troll invaders by using the miracle Hidden Soul with the Graverobber’s Ring and just sitting around invisibly. If you can do that you might as well just get Banish instead though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mirdan Hammer is in 5-2 annoyingly. You can sometimes get it to drop from the hammer miners in 2-1, which is theoretically faster, but in practice means you’re at the mercy of the drop table

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

fknlo posted:

I want the monk's head wrapping for my mage, what's the easiest way to get it?

Just invade past the Maneater arch stone. Don’t worry about beating anyone, it may make things faster but if you keep doing it you have a good chance of finding a host who dies on the way up the stairs. If you haven’t cleared Maneaters yet, then find an out-of-the-way cell in the Prison and put a summon sign somewhere no one would ever click on it. If the game can’t find any invaders for the boss fight it will start pulling from summon signs elsewhere in Latria.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

What does top-level PVP look like in this? I'm assuming a lot of parrying?

Dual katanas, second chance, and loads and loads of grass chugging

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

Huh, I'd never even heard of Second Chance. Why dual katanas?

R1 L1 combo is very strong with two katanas. Even better, you can stunlock people with push L1 combo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HaB posted:

So if I was gonna do a build based around the Dragon Longsword - what's a good alternate for Flamelurker- assuming I'm not putting anything into stats aside from the minimum required to wield the Dragon Longsword and carry a decent shield?

Crescent falchion from 4-1

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HaB posted:

Ah yeah. Good thinking. Was think I could buff a plain weapon with Sticky White Stuff (lol the old name is better) too.

They shoulda just changed it to Wizard Cum

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What are the good demon weapons, I was close to making the Morion blade since I've been using the bastard sword all game but noticed at the last second it has no scaling lol

Meat cleaver is game breakingly good
Blue blood sword is very good but requires a slightly odd build
Lava bow is situationally very useful
Insanity catalyst is good for a caster
Morion blade is good to have, not so much as a weapon but because it gives a damage bonus. Wield in the offhand while spellcasting for fun
Large sword of searching is useless as a weapon, but again, gives a good passive bonus
Dozer axe is decent but not really worth it
Scraping spear is only good for loving with people in PvP
Needle of eternal agony is Maneaters’ final revenge on the player, it’s useless

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh is a constant damage bonus? The description made it sound like it was a low hp thing for if you want to do hypermode runs.

No, it’s a stackable hyper mode. But if you’re a caster it’s not at all hard to set that up. Relatively bad for a melee char though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

I tried it and compared to a sharp Kilij it was slow and not damaging enough to make up for it. Is this a, "Once you get both strength and dexterity high the damage is really high" thing?

Yes. It has the best scaling of any weapon in the game pretty much, strength dex and faith

And can be buffed

Also don’t sleep on the R2, it’s mad good

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If you hit the cleaver stuck in his gut then eventually he will fall over and you can beat up the bird even if you don’t have a bow.