Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

OK I really want the Beast Talisman, so how the hell do I turn my world tendency to pure black from ... whatever the hell it is now?

Dying in body form will drive that world one step closer to black each time. Stock up on ephemeral eyes and go to town.

But do the white tendency events first, it's a lot more painful to get that. Finish white then go to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just got a new shield from a slime: The Hoplite shield. I think it’s one of the deluxe edition items too. Anyway it has the same stats as a Purple Flame Shield +3 except requires 3 less Strength. It can’t be upgraded but it’s really solid if you get it early.

EDIT: By the way, anyone know how to get this item in 2-2? In the big pit, there’s an item right near the top at the other side I can’t figure out how to get to.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 22, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

that cut off :eyepop:

beautifully timed

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

il serpente cosmico posted:

I also killed King Doran. I'm never loving doing that again, ugh. I got tired of getting one-shotted so I finally just cheesed him with backstabs and the thief ring.

killing him with the stormruler is a great time. after you get him to follow you across the walkway and into that room before the mausoleum, you can just blast him onto his rear end over and over again with r1. as soon as he gets launched out of that room away from the mausoleum, the AI breaks and just tries to peacefully walk home, so you can just keep launching him til he falls off an edge and dies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey thread, once I get my Kris to +5, I'd like a spell damage weapon for my alternate, and I'm pretty bored of the Cresvent Falshion. What are the other weapons that scale with spell damage, and also does this "lava bow" i'm reading about scale with spell damage?

Also how does the +spell resistance stat on my Rune shield interact with me Kris/Ring/Headwrap? Does the extra spell defense help me at all when the shield is just equipped, or do I have to equip it or hold L1 to get the spell resist?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey thread, once I get my Kris to +5, I'd like a spell damage weapon for my alternate, and I'm pretty bored of the Cresvent Falshion. What are the other weapons that scale with spell damage, and also does this "lava bow" i'm reading about scale with spell damage?

Also how does the +spell resistance stat on my Rune shield interact with me Kris/Ring/Headwrap? Does the extra spell defense help me at all when the shield is just equipped, or do I have to equip it or hold L1 to get the spell resist?

I remember really liking the phosphorescent pole for a magic build. It’s a spear that regens MP like a crescent weapon and has great scaling. It’s somewhere in Latria, might need black tendency?

Lava bow has little scaling but it stuns enemies because of the fire damage, that’s why it’s good.

IIRC the rune shield gives a flat bonus to magic defense whenever you have it out, even if you’re not actively blocking with it (though it can also block magic fairly well on top of that). the kris, ring and hat lower magic defense by a percentage. So it’s not going to do much to counterbalance them, especially all three together.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade-crescent has a list of Crescent weapons. Moon scales with Magic too, but doesn't have regen though it'll do more damage until you get to very high levels of magic, NG+ levels.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

You can make any infusable weapon into a Moon weapon, and any DEX weapon into a Crescent weapon, so you've got plenty of options to choose from for a Magic weapon. That being said, if you're already casting Magic damage everywhere, it might be a better idea to make a Dragon weapon (any infusable STR weapon) instead, to diversify your damage output? No stats required there, either. Other than that, you can use the aforementioned Phosphorescent Pole (drops from 3-1 PBWT phantom outside Rydell's cell) or the Epee Rapier, which also inflicts Fire damage.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This just got a patch. I miss viewable patch notes from PS4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta hide those stability fixes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They certainly didn't fix the weird hyper loud screaming in my Pulse headphones in Upper Latria. Something sounds like a larynx being torn, but it sounds weirdly loud and like... unmixed? Like the sound isn't behaving the way the rest of the noise and screaming in the game behaves.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The weirdest thing just happened to me, I was playing cloaked for hours, but only when using the great club? And the cloak disappeared out of nowhere? I was able to sneak up on guys and now it's gone. I have no idea what's going on lol

E: maybe this was world tendency? So I just noticed now because I was able to sneak in on the knights in 1-3 and farm some herbs, and suddenly I can't do it anymore, they hear me coming. I had tested it using the great club and other weapons and I could only sneak behind them with the great club for some reason

E2: OK I was able to do it again I gotta wield the great club with 2 hands, can't use a shield or they'll hear me for some reason

orange sky fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 22, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you think it's intentional that Souls games tend to make the headgear that boosts your magic power really silly-looking? Obviously there's the Monk's Head Wrapping in this, but then there's the Crown of Dusk in DS1 and DS3, this weird lopsided wing headband thing. Perhaps that is the price one pays for ultimate magical power: you just cannot look cool and be a great wizard at the same time. :hai:

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

You can make any infusable weapon into a Moon weapon, and any DEX weapon into a Crescent weapon, so you've got plenty of options to choose from for a Magic weapon.

It's not strictly any infusable weapon for Moon. Apparently you can make a Crescent Estoc, but not a Moon one? Not sure if that's still true in the remake but it always stood out as an odd restriction to me in the original.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm a big fan of the Uchigatana for a Moon or Crescent weapon, but you'll need 18 Strength and 13 Dexterity. A Crescent Estoc is pretty great, too, and has much lower stat requirements. Try them out and see which moveset you like best.

The Lava Bow scales with magic a little bit but not enough to be notable. It's a boss soul weapon. Also requires 16 Dexterity, which can be a semi-big ask for a magic build.

All of the spell resistance/spell damage bonuses apply when the item is actually equipped and in your hand. So your Rune Shield's extra spell resistance only applies when you're actually holding it, but you don't have to be actively blocking with it. If you can see the shield on your character model (either in your hand or on your back because you're two-handing a weapon), its passive effect is working. I will point out that anything that increases your spell resistance like the Rune Shield also lowers the spell damage you deal, so make sure you don't have it equipped while you're casting or you're nerfing your own damage. What I do is to equip my catalyst in my left hand so that I'm never holding my shield and my catalyst at the same time.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 22, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shoutouts to the one guy who got all the way to 1-3, meaning he had to have beaten at least one archdemon, and still engages a group of three enemies by walking right into the middle of them. Brute force legend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I completely annihilated this guy.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1330552482972405761?s=19

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yeah most people get annihilated by the two bp squids long before they make it up the ramp. wish the summoning was a little closer to the actual fog

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Currently bouncing between Flamelurker and Maneater and not really making progress on either. I can dance around most of their attacks but 1-2 hits and I’m done :rip:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
95% of Flamelurker is always dodge back from his attacks and he can't actually hurt you. Never towards or to the side.

(The other 5% is shoot him in the face with soul ray)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's an armor set around the lava river near the bearbug tunnels with good fire defense, it'll help you take another hit or two from Flamelurker before dying

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m really not looking forward to having to fight all these bosses the ‘fair’ way on my second character.

Anyone ever had any success with a Paladin//Miracles build? I just wanna have powerful holy magic and a tower shield and huge stacks of health regen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

95% of Flamelurker is always dodge back from his attacks and he can't actually hurt you. Never towards or to the side.

Went ahead and gave it another try with this in mind and Flamelurker down! Thanks for the tip!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyone ever had any success with a Paladin//Miracles build? I just wanna have powerful holy magic and a tower shield and huge stacks of health regen.

Absolutely yes, Faith builds are excellent. Blessed weapons get more HP regeneration the more you upgrade them, so the HP regen you get with a Blessed weapon + Adjudicator's Shield + Regenerator's Ring (and maybe add the Regeneration miracle on top) is nuts.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the saints set looks really nice thanks to the power of the ps5

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m really not looking forward to having to fight all these bosses the ‘fair’ way on my second character.

Faith is very strong in this game. There’s only one direct damage miracle, Wrath of God, but it whips rear end. You also get some excellent weapons like Istarelle, meat cleaver, and the moonlight greatsword.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
gently caress that, use GODHANDS

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm running around with a regenerator ring, regen miracle, adjudicator's shield, and blessed morning star +5 of switching to for a second after I get hit to further juice my regen. It rules, I have tons of grass and I'm free to ignore VIT and pump FAITH for more weapon damage

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Made a big sword dude and man this is fun. I poured souls into endurance and got the Ring of Giant's Strength, so now I'm walking around with a claymore, steel shield, and Brushwood set (minus the helm) and can still quick roll.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I remember World 5 being terribly designed in the original and they seem to have preserved that. What awful level design. It also look like ugly even in this remake.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTGTyGUu600&t=9665s

Moon has been doing a lot of invasions as his character 'John Souls'

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Any tips for Fool's Idol as a Royal? I am barely doing any damage and there are so many clones I can't really find a spot to heal up w/o getting rekt. I have 15k souls sitting on the floor there! I did reduce Freke, so maybe I should just go farm lots of souls and buy a bigger damage spell from him?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Any tips for Fool's Idol as a Royal? I am barely doing any damage and there are so many clones I can't really find a spot to heal up w/o getting rekt. I have 15k souls sitting on the floor there! I did reduce Freke, so maybe I should just go farm lots of souls and buy a bigger damage spell from him?

Fool's Idol is extremely magic resistant. Go hit her with melee or Flame Toss.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are the streamers in that video indicative of how people actually play Souls games? Just zero patience, running at everything, not using lock on? I'd probably hate Souls too if I played it like that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god there’s two of these fuckers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my god there’s two of these fuckers

:yeshaha:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lumpy posted:

What kite pride said. But use your rapier. Even unupgraded it's doing to do like 10 times the damage per hit than Soul arrow. It should kill her in 3 or 4 good combos. Also make sure to get a good free combo in on her at the beginning while she cant do anything. try to look at the green circles when she drops them before they disappear. Just ignore the adds as much as you can. Spotting the real one is easy with lock on since she is the only one without a health bar above her head. Also the zombie mooks will always look at the real one. Use the pillars to block her projectiles.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I feel like the streamers are just trying to look cool using big 2h weapons and its his kind of hilarious watching them charge into quick striking enemies and nearly being oneshot because they didnt put any pts into vitality.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lumpy posted:

You can kill the clones. I kept dying over and over until I realized just hitting a clone once with, for instance, Fire Spray, kills them. Makes it a lot easier to find a cover place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

infraboy posted:

I feel like the streamers are just trying to look cool using big 2h weapons and its his kind of hilarious watching them charge into quick striking enemies and nearly being oneshot because they didnt put any pts into vitality.

I think it's funny that almost none of them are using shields, probably due to something they heard on the internet about shields not being cool, but ignoring shields probably isn't best idea for people who don't even have a basic level of competence to begin with. It's ok to use shields, streamers. They block the things that are killing you.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Der Shovel posted:

You can kill the clones. I kept dying over and over until I realized just hitting a clone once with, for instance, Fire Spray, kills them. Makes it a lot easier to find a cover place.

oooohhhhh... I figured they would just respawn each time she moved. I shall attempt again with that knowledge and the other good advice above!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lumpy posted:

oooohhhhh... I figured they would just respawn each time she moved. I shall attempt again with that knowledge and the other good advice above!!

They do respawn, but then you can pop them again. Fire Stream knocks each one out with one hit and takes hardly any mana.