Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know either but I just google it and go to whatever wiki for a given soul and see what it turns in for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
On the subject of Talisman of Beasts... If I already got the DBS and showed it to the NPC, is there any reason not to push 2 to pure black to go after the Talisman?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

neurotech posted:

Arghhh all this talk of magic builds makes me want to start again as Royalty. Is it really that strong, and does that strength last throughout the game?

No. It's op for the first couple of levels. Starting classes in these games are basically just which gear you start with and a couple of soul levels, all which can be found in the game. From there you just build your character however you want.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

L-O-N posted:

I've played original quite a few times and I'm pretty sure that you only got pure white when you beat the 1st and the 2nd boss and killed the dragon.

hmm could be the private server doing it then, given theres less pvp going on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of PVP. I remember being invaded like crazy when the original came out but I have been invaded exactly once in this one and I am still not sure if it was a human or a bot because it didn't give me a trophy for killing him. he didn't have like, a lore name though. It looked like a PSN ID except extremely suspect that it was a bot . it was something like "mimic164588" Are fake invaders a thing in this one, or the original? I only remember the NPC invaders that are clearly game characters.

I'm sure I could easily find PVP action if I went to the hot spots I'm just surprised at the lack of random invasions which I remember being commonplace. Maybe I was just in body form more back then. I still haven't used a stone of ephemeral eyes cause idgaf about the health ding so I am in body form maybe 1/3rd of the time. I have like 40 of them lol. Figure I'll save them in case I want to gently caress with WT.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Switched from Cinematic mode to Performance mode. Honestly I'm hard pressed to tell any difference in the visuals, but the game feels a lot better at 60 FPS.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Cinema mode seems to have more shadow detail and ambient occlusion is the big one. It makes the game look a decent bit darker, which I kinda like. (I switch between the two based on mood tho)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

neurotech posted:

Arghhh all this talk of magic builds makes me want to start again as Royalty. Is it really that strong, and does that strength last throughout the game?

Yes, magic remains really good throughout the entire game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dewgy posted:

Cinema mode seems to have more shadow detail and ambient occlusion is the big one. It makes the game look a decent bit darker, which I kinda like. (I switch between the two based on mood tho)

Yeah, there's a difference but in normal gameplay it's pretty hard to notice anything. If I just jump back and forth between two screenshots from the same place, then yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The frame rate in cinematic feels juddery as hell. I switched to it for about 10 minutes and found it unplayable after hours of 60fps play. I'm normally not that sensitive to frame rates outside of competitive shooters but performance seems like the way to go for this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I set my katana on fire and Leechmonger got his rear end kicked.

Are there any demon souls I should absolutely NOT turn into Freke for cool spells? I want that warden and rapid fire firebolt spell. But super worried to part with these things if there’s something better elsewhere.

The big one is the Dragon Demon's Soul, when you get it. Freke can turn it into a good spell, but the other magic trainer (who you can rescue in 1-3) can turn it into an even better one.

neurotech posted:

Magic builds are extremely strong but note that they're more gear-dependent than you'd initially think. For your magic damage to really hold up in the later parts of the game and NG+, you'll need to make sure you get the Monk's Head Wrapping, a Kris Blade upgraded to +5, and the Ring of Magical Sharpness.

I actually don't know that I'd recommend a full magic build to a new player just because two of those three can require some foreknowledge (or guide-following) to acquire. I actually think a strength, dexterity, or maybe even faith build is probably a better idea for a new player. Bows are really, really good in Demon's Souls so for ranged attacking, you can get a lot of mileage out of a bow instead of spells.

That said, if magic sounds really really fun to you, then go for it. It's really good and can become strong enough to trivialize bosses in the late game.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 21, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

neurotech posted:

Oh no no no.

It gets much stronger as time goes on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

neurotech posted:

Royalty is the easiest start by far, to the point where it's fairly broken. It can stay the same level of good the whole game, but only if you look up what gear and spells to get. If you want an easier than usual start that doesn't break the game, try Temple Knight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got lost in the mine/tunnels then got blown up by a bug. GOTY.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
First platinum on the new system done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Saint_Freak/status/1330276914678951938

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got lost in the mine/tunnels then got blown up by a bug. GOTY.

One of my favorite levels in Fromsoft history and I wish they would do more absolutely labyrinthian levels that you can get totally lost in like that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dewgy posted:

Pro tip: If you go for pure white tenancy the people from HUD get very mad at you

Hahahahah.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dewgy posted:

Pro tip: If you go for pure white tenancy the people from HUD get very mad at you

what the gently caress does that mean!!!!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what hat is that (i'm new to the series)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

shrike82 posted:

It’s the Old Monk gear.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

shrike82 posted:

Monk’s head collar aka custard tornado

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As a newbie, I've just cleared the first bosses for all the worlds and am playing as Royalty with the Crescent Falchion from 4-1.
Is there anything I should look out for in terms of leveling up my stats, and also weapons/armor.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
HOLY DICK PENIS, I BEAT PHALANX

Thank you, Temple Knight build. I might actually get to play this game now!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

shrike82 posted:

As a newbie, I've just cleared the first bosses for all the worlds and am playing as Royalty with the Crescent Falchion from 4-1.
Is there anything I should look out for in terms of leveling up my stats, and also weapons/armor.

Kris Blade, Magic Sharpening Ring.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

HOLY DICK PENIS, I BEAT PHALANX

Thank you, Temple Knight build. I might actually get to play this game now!

See you in 30 minutes.

Also, there was an update that got put out a few hours ago. It did not fix the luck glitch or the current known skips. Possibly just a crash fix?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m not going to end up too thinned out leveling up vitality, intel, strength, and magic for the most part right? I’m hoping to get 20 in all four and then keep leveling them evenly. I started melee, which I love, but magic is just way too rad not to use. It stomps everything and the haptic feedback is so cool.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m not going to end up too thinned out leveling up vitality, intel, strength, and magic for the most part right? I’m hoping to get 20 in all four and then keep leveling them evenly. I started melee, which I love, but magic is just way too rad not to use. It stomps everything and the haptic feedback is so cool.

Not totally. Every stat you level in general will up your defense so you will be just a bit stronger with each point. What's more important is weapon stat requirements and stat scaling. For stat requirements, you want to have the minimum amount required to wield the weapon without losing bonus attack points. For stat scaling, you'll see more benefit putting points into an A scale stat instead of a D scale stat.

Edit: I should mention there are soft caps and hard caps, so you'll see diminishing returns at some point. I don't know the numbers for the remake however. But on a first playthrough, I don't think you'll hit it without really focusing into something.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 22, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo do these tunnels end

EDIT: they do! :lol: Flamelurker destroyed me

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 22, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is there a wiki that is considered “the best”? Searching always brings up a few and in different orders so I’m not sure if one is clearly better than the others or if they are all roughly the same.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there a recommended STR weapon? i'm still chopping things up with my basic longsword and doing ok but curious if there's any easy-mode options like the Zweihander in DS1

so far i've cleared 1-1, 1-2, 3-1, i'm at the end of 2-1, and made it to the first fog door in 4-1 before going "gently caress this i'm out"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's worth noting that you can sorta keep leveling until everything's maxed out if you want to. A lot of the builds you see online stop at level 120 or 125 just for PvP matchmaking. There's no real level cap. You can just keep on going if you keep doing NG+ cycles or leveling.

That said, I'd sorta recommend figuring out what weapon(s) you like using most and use that to determine which damage-boosting stat to focus on. You definitely can just level Strength and Magic equally but I think you'd see more benefit going hard on one of them. I'd recommend deciding whether you like to get in there and hit with your Strength weapons, or whether you like doing a lot of damage with spells and magic-damage weapons like the Crescent Falchion. For example, my Magic build guy has 18 Strength and 13 Dexterity for the Uchigatana, and then is working towards 40 or 50 Magic.

Keep in mind you can often customize what stats a weapon scales with by taking it down different upgrade paths, though not every upgrade path is available for every weapon. Like you can use Greystone to make a weapon "Heavy" and make it scale a lot more with Strength, or Bladestone to make it "Sharp" so it scales much more with Dexterity. You can read about upgrade paths here, and see which weapons each path is available for: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Oxxidation posted:

is there a recommended STR weapon? i'm still chopping things up with my basic longsword and doing ok but curious if there's any easy-mode options like the Zweihander in DS1

so far i've cleared 1-1, 1-2, 3-1, i'm at the end of 2-1, and made it to the first fog door in 4-1 before going "gently caress this i'm out"

The Claymore in this is the rough equivalent of the DS1 Zweihander. It's really, really strong.

You can also grab the Dragon Bone Smasher from 3-3 (though this requires Pure White World Tendency). It's an absolutely gigantic slab of metal that you just smash things flat with.

Probably the strongest overall is the Meat Cleaver, which you can make with the soul of the 4-1 boss. Insanely high damage.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 22, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

The Meat Cleaver. Crafted with a 0+ Club and the Adjudicator's soul in 4-1. It can probably carry you throughout the game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Is there a wiki that is considered “the best”? Searching always brings up a few and in different orders so I’m not sure if one is clearly better than the others or if they are all roughly the same.

I think the wikidot one is the best. It is for the original, but nothing really has changed that makes it not work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the Wikidot one is the best one I think. Some item names have changed subtly but nothing you won't be able to figure out.

It does talk about some mechanics that have been tweaked for the remake (like the online effect on world tendency, which is thankfully not in the remake) but most of its reference information is really good.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Lumpy posted:

I like wikidot the best, with fextralife a close second.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

For strength I’ve been liking the Kilij in the early game, but the crescent falchion from 4-1 is hands down the best so far. I think it’s the additive strength and magic damage.

Yeah I’d love to find a weapon that scales with both strength and magic (the crescent falchion only scales with magic) and be a magic sword wielding dude. But I don’t know if such a weapon really exists without being OP.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I always soft cap endurance first since thats what really makes a difference to surviving and upgrading your weapon is good enough for damage. Plus you can use resins for bosses

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbXPzSPzxc

Goddamn RNG :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

For strength I’ve been liking the Kilij in the early game, but the crescent falchion from 4-1 is hands down the best so far. I think it’s the additive strength and magic damage.

Yeah I’d love to find a weapon that scales with both strength and magic (the crescent falchion only scales with magic) and be a magic sword wielding dude. But I don’t know if such a weapon really exists without being OP.

From what it sounds like you're liking in weapons, you might actually be more into Dexterity than Strength. The way things work isn't physical damage = Strength and magical damage = Magic. Faster physical weapons tend to scale with Dexterity more than Strength, and there are magical-damage weapons that scale with Faith instead of Magic. For example, both the Kilij and Falchion are more Dex than Str weapons. Which works well for you, because Dex and Mag play very well together. And one of the best Dex weapons, the Uchigatana, requires 18 Strength to wield so having some Strength isn't wasted, either.

What you could do if you want to use a physical weapon (not mixed physical/magical) is to use the Enchant Weapon or Light Weapon spells. They add a bunch of flat magic damage to each swing, which works very well with fast weapons.

There are also a lot of weapons that you can make do mixed physical/magical damage with the Moon or Crescent upgrades. You can see lists on these wiki pages:

Moon: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade-moon
Crescent: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade-crescent

Generally, Moon does a little more damage, but Crescent weapons also regenerate your MP, so both are good.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

not buying new consoles until at least next year so been watching distortion and lobos play it instead and uh what