Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

General Dog posted:

I still don't really see why Houston and Boston bothered firing Hinch and Cora when it was pretty certain they'd be back somewhere else in a year and no one would care by that point.

Cora resigned iirc which is why he's considered the favorite for the Boston job now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I did not know this and it amused me very much.

At the press conference where Cora announced he was stepping down, Sox ownership fell over each other praising him. I don't doubt for a moment that Henry, Kennedy and the other owners want him back, and the fact that they haven't hired him already says that Bloom really is getting to hire "his" guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Popete posted:

People don't like cheering for assholes, it's not that complicated.

A significant portion of my frustration with the Mookie trade was that Mookie has a history of good works and Verdugo...doesn't.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Probably because if mlb tries to bring the hammer down on Turner the union will in turn bring receipts on how nonexistent the bubble was and the league doesn't want that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1327275161268203522
If true, good job Marlins.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Robert Stock is a pro follow on Twitter and he can throw hard.

So is his wife

https://twitter.com/sara__stock/status/1300995825330511875

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, for that list specifically, because there was so little hard information about it I'm willing to give the players who were listed the benefit of the doubt. Its much more likely then that were popped for taking a tainted supplement or something because the level of scrutiny on that stuff just wasn't there yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/HannahRKeyser/status/1351642801482702851
My brain made weird angry noises when I read this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Bravo posted:

Nah, I remember seeing an ESPN thing on him and his family like right after he went to Boston detailing their work with ALS outreach and how one of their sons was diagnosed with Asperger's and the work they did to deal with that. From a fan perspective, he seemed like a decent enough dude until the Rhode Island stuff which in hindsight feels like small fuckin potatoes compared to what he's become in recent years.

It's either 38 Studios failing, his cancer, the way social media amplifies the worst in people, or some combination of all three that's to blame for his total lack of filter compared to his playing days.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

E: JBJ is/was a personal favorite of mine on the Sox. He's not a great player, but he's a good complementary piece and will give you several highlight reel catches a season until age saps his defensive ability.

:hmmyes: JBJ owns. He also has an uncanny ability to crash into walls without getting hurt. The man is a defensive wizard, and one that I think will age gracefully because so much of his defensive prowess stems from his ability to read the ball off the bat. So as he slows down you could slide him over to a corner spot...though his bat would become even more of a liability if you did.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure if The Athletc has unlocked it or not, but Aaron's entry in Joe Posnanski's Baseball 100 is obviously worth a read today.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bewbies posted:

anyone who hasn't read these should. or at least hank, oscar charleston, bonds, and cobb if you dont want to read them all

The print collection of the Baseball 100 is coming out in October and I cannot wait.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, neither of them have won a playoff game so that checks out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bawfuls posted:

He was also very good in both 2007 and 2013 for Boston but he didn’t win a series MVP and those championships certainly don’t mean as much to Boston as 2004.

Obviously nothing will ever equal 2004, but that 2013 team comes closest of any of the other three. You had the combination of the bombing, "our loving city," the beards, and winning at home.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dustin Pedroia officially retired.

He unofficially retired years ago

quote:

Kelli and Dustin Pedroia and their cheeky two-year-old son, Dylan, live across the street from Fenway Park, and one reason why is clear from the view out their 13th-floor windows. Fenway in the quiet morn, before the sausages sizzle and the pilgrims parade in wearing the liturgical garments of Red Sox Nation, sits below them like an unopened Tiffany box, all neat, pristine corners and possibilities. The Pedroias can see the centerfield scoreboard and, through a crack in the asymmetrical grandstand, first base. They also can spy a large chain-link gate on wheels, which sometime in the middle of the day will be rolled open to Red Sox personnel for the symbolic start of the baseball business day.

Kelli will catch her little guy pulling the drapes aside and checking the status of the gate. Is it open? How about now? Now? "It's ridiculous," she says. "He paces until it's open. He's not calm until he's at the ballpark."

And at last when his surveillance is rewarded—the gates swinging open six, seven hours before the game is scheduled to begin—the little guy is happy, for he knows it is finally time to go out and play. He is out the door and across the street in no time.

Dustin Pedroia even takes Dylan with him sometimes.

:smith: Probably my third favorite player from this era of Red Sox history behind only Papi and Mookie. Laser Show forever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1359683946330673153
Sure, gently caress it, fine why not? Benintendi's development has stalled and if the Sox can get back any vaguely potentially useful arms I'll take it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's been all downhill from here for Benny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQmZ9B9Oe8

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It boggles my mind that the Red Sox will somehow have possibly the second highest payroll in baseball.
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1360031507197394944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Popete posted:

Just please no more 3 person booths, they're universally terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfuqqy9CTto