Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1340824663593799680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Josh Bell is probably an ok-to-good player, but he was also cheap for two more years and the fans liked him and he was a cool dude.

If you're gonna trade bell for nothing, just keep him and then let him walk in two years and let the fans have some dingers and fun dugout antics

Thanks cooter and the shark, I'll hang up and listen

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/BlueWahoosBBall/status/1360258745209548802

Just an absolute dogshit set of choices - mascot sucks, name sucks, Pensacola really sucks. Makes it real hard to be a fish head.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bewbies posted:

What I dislike is that MiLB is dominated by affiliated teams/leagues, whose primary reason for existence is developing a tiny number of prospects into major leaguers. Developmental baseball is fine, but it isn't the same as true indy baseball. Affiliated teams live and die at the whim of their parents, have to play lineups and rotations not for winning but for maximizing prospect playing time, players are rarely in one place for more than a year, and baseball players with no major league future are virtually worthless. All of this is bad for the fan.
"no baseball games with 100 miles" is worse for the fan, and that would absolutely be the outcome of shrinking the MiLB system. Lots of those teams (especially lower A teams) make no or next-to-no money and are run at a substantial loss by the teams to ensure the next Ryan Howard has some people to beat up on as he grinds up to the Bigs (first guy I can think of who was overdeveloped in the minors, sorry). Sure they could reduce the number of teams and cut everyone who is developmental filler so they could all.... chase a dream of playing for the Scranton Discount Lumber Yards for $175 a week?

And what chaff guy doesn't dream of maybe having every third baseman in the org's arms all explode at once and his phone rings?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just because I really like Foolish Baseball (and fantasy-booking a whole league), I want to bring this back up. His ideas:
    On Field:
  • 18 second pitch clock with bases empty
  • 62' Pitcher mound distance
  • Ban Shift
  • Un-juice the ball (agree)
  • 12-team playoffs

Front Office:
  • Living Wage for minor leaguers (agree)
  • 140m salary floor, 210m salary cap
  • Service time starts with addition to the 40-man (agree)

Future of the game:
  • Double RBI's budget
  • Donations for schools/parks (agree)
  • Free Tickets M-Th(?!)
  • More MiLB coverage on MLB.tv (agree)
My disagrees:
-Pitch clocks are dumb and time between pitches isn't the problem.
-It is too radical to change the mound distance
-The shift is good. Learn2hit scrub
-12-team playoff bad. Win your division, scrub. I could see a case for adding 2 teams and splitting AL/NL play again, and creating 4 divisions in each league, so you only have 3 other teams you're playing against for a playoff spot, but this would necessitate the elimination of the (very dumb) WC slot and (dumber) WC play-in game.
---
-I'd do away with the salary cap, but peg the salary floor at 1/3 the average salary of the 5 highest payrolls, and also have it set to never lower (so there's no collusion incentive).
-BONUS: If you finish last in your division 4 years in a row, it triggers an automatic sale of your team.
---
-Quadruple RBI's budget and incentivize tons more youth play
-Instead of free tickets, make it like it was in the '20s: tickets after the 2nd inning are 50¢ if you bring a child under 12. Get kids to the ballpark any way you can

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Research shows there are essentially two reasons why games are longer now than 50 years ago:
-longer commercial breaks (never getting rid of this under capitalism)
-time between pitches

Time between pitches is also what makes a game *feel* sluggish and slow. They should work on reducing it, but they could do so without an explicit pitch clock. NPB has incentives for this on the hitting and pitching side, where teams and players get fined/rewarded for being habitually above/below the benchmark.

Just go back to rules-as-written: batters can request time to step out at go on a Nomar-level fiddle with their gear, but umps are under no compunction to grant it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timby posted:

This is the thing. A pitch clock isn't needed, the problem is hitters who take time to adjust their gloves, tap dust off the cleats, adjust their grip and scratch their nuts after every goddamn pitch. It's already in the Official Rules that a batter needs permission to step out of the box, the umpires just refuse to actually enforce it.
Yeah. If a mosquito flies into your ear or something, yeah sure you get a time out. Otherwise once you come set, you don't leave that batter's box, and if you do, the pitcher just keeps on pitching.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

why does this feel slightly pissy and also incredibly funny? It's the "left as well" that is just sending me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

'Lose the team if youre last too often' was my idea, but obviously a non starter in the real world. The idea of #1 pick goes to best team to miss the playoffs is interesting, gently caress if i want more great players to languish with the Nuttings of the world before fleeing to the Yankees after wasting 4 years

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 15, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone should play cricket because moon-rules baseball is the best baseball

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I remember Bonds' 7/49 deal when he jumped ship to the Giants and how it was plastered over ever magazine cover as the greediest player to ever ruin baseball by wanting to be compensated as the... checks notes... first-ever and reigning 3-time MVP.

That's a 7 year/$86m deal in 2021 dollars, or $12.2 AAV. For a three-time MVP entering his age 28 season.

:signings:

e: upon further research, he was only a 2-time MVP, and came in second in between. (he immediately won another MVP his first year in SF)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spoeank posted:

I forgot those fucks got Blake Snell. I don't know if the Rockies, Diamondbacks and Giants could conglomerate a team as talented as either the Dodgers or the Padres.
as long as the year isn't divisible by 2, the Giants aren't even going to try. And if it is, they don't have to.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey Cubs fans, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come to the game tomorrow. So if you could be here around gametime, that would be great, m'kay? Oh, and I almost forgot, uh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, kay? We lost some games this week and ah, we sorta need to play catch up.
______________/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sydin posted:

Impossible unfortunately, there's actually a clause in his contract that says he cannot affiliate himself with any other team for ten years after he retires..

...Which could make his HoF induction really awkward if he goes in as a Cardinal like he should.
He can wear an angels cap at the ceremony all he wants, his bust will have a Cards cap

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Casey Fossum just got a half chub and he has no idea why

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Can we just lean back and take in the narcissism of a man named Jose naming his daughter Josie.

Do not google George Foreman family

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

yeah sure whatever

call me when he develops an Eephus

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/Marlins/status/1366109463342682123

Be pleased with the reactions on display. Fish are gonna be fun this year since everyone knows they're gonna be terrible, so everyone's just playing to have a good time.

Brinson, for those of you who didn't purchase a program, was worth -0.1 WAR last year, his breakout season in which he recorded an OPS+ of 72. He has an OPS+ of 48 for his career, which has been worth -3.2 WAR over 4 years.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 1, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I’m still waiting on Todd Van Poppel to pan out :colbert:
You need to Van Stoppel

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Is the new Mets FO as evil as the previous one? They were my fallback after I abandoned Cleveland. I know they hired the poo poo GM but then dumped his rear end immediately when things came out publicly. I assume Cohen is evil in same ways as anyone that rich has to be.
Cohen is one of the good Evil Billionaires because he does the Mark Cuban thing where he actually is interested in the product on the field and would like to have a winning team, vs someone who views it strictly as a business investment and would as soon strip it for parts like the Nuttings.

He's also kinda funny on twitter. Still a billionaire, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spoeank posted:

What's the worst that could happen when a billionaire shitposts on Twitter

Get elected president and incite an insurrection

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/iforgotmyname38/status/1367106370265370624?s=19

This is Excellent

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

I collect silly baseball cards so when I saw this I went straight to ebay and picked one up. This is amazing.

Is there a baseball card thread in SAS anymore? I got an on-card Isreal Alcontera auto that is my pride and joy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxSportsWest/status/1367231885810761728

468 feet like it aint no thing, now to see how he looks on the mound in a day or two
the runner was going but Shohei said "nah, I don't feel like running, I'm just gonna jog" what a lazy bum! t:mad:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Would like to congratulate the Braves at the end of this season for completing their contract with Bruce Sutter, who signed a Bonilla-style contract in 1985 that ran for 36 years, $44m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1367271934719836169

e: upon further research, he was only a 2-time MVP, and came in second in between. (he immediately won another MVP his first year in SF)