Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shouldn't Din probably get a paint job for his armor? It seems like Beskar armor is more trouble than it's worth if every time he strolls into a cantina some scumbags are gonna try to murder him and steal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

The books were all over the place but New Jedi Order as storyline and concept was cool as heck. The Vong were scary in a way that the 30th splinter faction of the Empire or whatever couldn't quite pull off

I dunno, those books seemed to put me in the wrong headspace for Star Wars, they were just too dark and edgy in kind of a ridiculous way. Evil alien race that worships sadism and masochism, comes to world after world killing billions and enslaving the rest to work in their pain factories, tortures the poo poo out of a bunch of main characters (that you get to read about from a first person perspective a lot of the time!), and they just score victory after awful victory for the first dozen books in the series. It's like they sat down around a table and workshopped just how gruesome and war crimey they could get away with in a series marketed at young adults. It just didn't feel quite like Star Wars.

(And years later I was shocked to hear about what ended up happening to Jacen, who I thought was going to be a Yoda-type character going forward.)

That being said, yeah, they were a really cool concept even though the execution was all over the place.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 26, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I remember there was a POV character that was a Vong leader who really got off on it, like he was always torturing himself just for the sheer pleasure -- he hooked himself into what I pictured as a big piece of fleshy gym equipment with resistance bands except that the bands were stretching him apart, and he was really feeling it, pulling back on the bands so they'd hurt him even harder.

And then I think there was an offhand comment at some point about how only that particular branch of the Vong was really into the whole masochism thing, the rest of the Vongs just regular liked hurting people and accepted a lot of self-torture in their day-to-day lives. And it didn't help much.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Peter Cushing is hardly an unrecognisable extra though, even though younger generations won't have seen him in his heyday

uhhh pretty sure no one who isn't a Star Wars nerd knows who Peter Cushing is anymore friend. I used to be a pretty big Star Wars nerd and I still couldn't tell you what he did with his life besides play Grand Moff Tarkin for five minutes in one of the Star Wars movies.

Hell, this probably goes for Alec Guinness too. Wasn't he Lawrence of Arabia or something? (which is another 50+ year old movie that the kids probably watch all the time...)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, you don't give a spear to a character portrayed by an actor who trained for months to fight with a spear on another famous fantasy show and then not have him fight with it. ...

Huh? What is this even talking about?? About the only thing Pedro Pascal has done in the last decade was Narcos.

So this thread moves really fast but... "Grogu," really? Really?? Did they ask George Lucas to name him, or something? What a terrible, terrible choice. I'm just going to ignore it and keep referring to him as Baby Yoda.

Still, loving this entire season so far, feels like they've been firing on all cylinders since episode 1. Love the plot, love all the action setpieces. It's like Star Wars done properly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aaaaagh this show is so good! I saw the ship fly in and I'm like "that looks like Slave 1... who could be flying that thing?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's a descriptive word, they're not necessarily a formal group of Pirates(tm) or anything. If you're hauling cargo and a bunch of guys show up intent on probably killing you and stealing it, then I think just by definition they're pirates.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

how is this show so good??

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

VagueRant posted:

How did people feel about the pacing of the big Luuke reveal?

You see the X-Wing, so you think it might be Luke, then the cloak and an uncoloured lightsaber so it could be Luke, then you see the green and you know it's Luke, then the hand thing...Through what felt like a solid five minutes of droid slashing with maybe 3 more interesting action beats, also a slow moving elevator, and a slow door opening and a slow hood removal...

It seemed really off to me, but I'm curious how it worked for someone who was legit excited over it.

Owned so hard. Just so amazingly hard. The X-Wing narrows it down a bit, but it's kind of a generic ship so I wasn't sure at first, and then the Jedi gets their own Vader in Rogue One scene where he just effortlessly tears his way through a lot of conveniently non-living adversaries, and like in the Ahsoka episode, you get a sense of how scary a Jedi is to regular people. And then you see the glove and oh my god it's Luke Skywalker here to save the day.

I don't think Luke stole the show, either. That scene was great, but it was something that the Mando had been working for all along and the final scene was about their goodbye. I don't know if the ending would have worked quite so well if it was just some random Jedi who showed up and we weren't entirely sure who it was or what their motivations were with little BaeYo. (And yeah, Ezra or Kyle Katarn or someone counts as a random Jedi because the vast majority of the audience isn't gonna know who that is.) But we know Luke is pure and good, all the more so because my personal headcanon doesn't include basically any of the movies since 1983 so as far as I'm concerned he never ends up as a washed-up old failure.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

robot roll call posted:

I thought it was weird that Disney bought Star Wars only to sit on it for several years and then finally do a show instead of movies, but it was the right call.

:hfive: Yeah, if they keep things as tight as they have been, they might have a real franchise on their hands here.

(My personal headcanon is that Star Wars was a fun trilogy of movies that came out in the 70s and 80s and has sat largely dormant since then, except for a few videogame spinoffs and some schlocky young adult novels that I have a soft spot for, but which aren't entirely canon. It actually makes the ending of this season even better, because my headcanon Luke Skywalker isn't destined to end up as a washed-up failure so he and BaeYo are capable of anything.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

But yeah, Luke is a natural and overall more in tune with the Force. You can teach techniques, but you can't be taught how to become more powerful.

I love that everyone is projecting their own personal vision of post-ROTJ Luke Skywalker onto what we saw on screen. I mean, I'm doing it too, it's more fun when you're envisioning young heroic Luke Skywalker at the height of his power and the potential to do anything.

Do we even have any canon appearances of Luke where he's being strong and cool between ROTJ and the new trilogy? Part of the reason I've disowned the new trilogy is that I don't want the only other datapoint I have on Luke's life to be that he's doomed to fail and end up a jaded old hermit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I don't really think Din had any reason to trust Luke with Grogu beyond "i have a lightsaber and flew an xwing" to be fair. They didn't even see him use the force; There was a lot of dialogue that Din and Luke needed to have that didn't happen because the audience knows who Luke is

This has already been laughed at but c'mon, man!

Since yesterday I've been trying to figure out how this would play to the one person on earth who's been in a coma since 1977 but just woke up and was given a complimentary Disney+ subscription, and both as a self-contained story and through the eyes of the characters the scene makes sense. Both the characters and coma-guy already KNOW he's a Jedi, to the point where I kinda laughed when Din asked the question. BaeYo made a magic hyperspace phone call just a few episodes ago calling for a Jedi, and this X-wing (typically a Rebel/New Republic-aligned ship) shows up here in the middle of space nowhere. Din fought one of those Dark Troopers and barely survived, he knows the guy who just effortlessly carved up a few dozen of them with a lightsaber must be a Jedi even if he didn't catch the parts where Luke was obviously using the Force in battle. And you can tell Grogu is interested in going with him -- even from when the little guy is reaching out to the video screen it's cast as a moment of longing and understanding. Luke saves their lives, walks in, powers off his lightsaber, and seems like a calm and peaceful magic space wizard, exactly the person they've been looking for over two seasons.

I was a little disappointed they didn't have more dialogue too, but it absolutely works as a self-contained scene. Luke doesn't steal the show, he's just the obvious culmination of what they've been working towards.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah that's what I meant- it was purely fans saying he'd be great playing Luke. No one has been saying it would actually happen. Teagone was just thinking out loud wondering how people would have reacted if it did happen.

Edit: Oops, I misunderstood what you were saying :v: - honestly I hadn't heard the theory until last week, but it seemed to have been a mature fan casting idea. Yeah now I'm wondering when it started as well.

AFAIK it was just a meme that went around a couple years ago. Someone posted the below pic with text saying Sebastian Stan would be a perfect young Luke Skywalker if Disney wanted to tell that story.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The Force guides your hand when you're lightsaber fighting though, that's how they deflect blaster bolts that are too fast for human reaction speed. It's possible that, even if Ahsoka is technically the more skilled lightsaber fighter, in a strict lightsaber duel Luke's superior mastery of the Force is just going to let him block everything she throws at him anyway.

e:

Cartoon Man posted:

I always thought that strength in the force made you better at lightsaber combat regardless of fencing or sword fighting ability. Like you could use the force to see all your opponents possible incoming attacks and correctly choose how to block or counter it.

yeah this. Even if Ahsoka has a 6 in Lightsaber Combat and Luke only has a 4, Luke's got so many more points in Force Mastery that his defense and attack stats are still much higher than hers.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 19, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

I find it interesting that in a discussion about wokeness, it’s acceptable to say this in a way that saying “you can still like the girl and appreciate her magnificent tits while acknowledging blah blah blah” would never be accepted.

I said something like this once, I think in The Good Place thread, and one of the replies was from a perspective I hadn't thought of before -- it's more gross to talk about a woman like that because women have historically been treated like their magnificent tits were the only worthwhile thing about them. Whereas openly talking about the asses of good-looking men is a pretty new thing, and tends not to dehumanize them the way it would for a woman because society is already primed to appreciate men for their intellect and abilities.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I've heard an interview with Jennifer Aniston that's just the most awful thing, like "I wake up and have a cup of hot water with lemon, three grapes, and a celery stick, then 45 minutes of pilates and an hour of cardio, and I'll have a bowl of fat-free cottage cheese for lunch, maybe with a slice of pineapple if I'm having a cheat day." In comparison I think I'd much rather lift weights and eat lots of chicken and rice.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

he didn't go to bat for her he just said she was nice to him, and he should probably watch what he says from now on. How is any of that in any way defending what she did?

"Now I gotta watch what the gently caress I say" is really easy to interpret as him minimizing how bad her statements were, and how he might say the same kinds of things if he wasn't watching himself. It's not a good look -- you shouldn't really be too worried about someone getting fired for mocking trans people and making light of the Holocaust unless those are the kinds of things you might say too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There have been jokes about giant star destroyers which launch swarms of regular star destroyers for a long time. Used to be some fun images of the idea, but I can't find anything at the moment.

I keep picturing these two dozen enormous Star Destroyers sitting vacant in the hangar of this giant ship, and the 850,000(!) people that crew them get to just hang out on the giant ship the whole time. And then each Star Destroyer has two dozen or more starfighters in their hangar, and the pilots have to live in the vacant Star Destroyers.

Dawgstar posted:

I always liked what I was able to pull from the stuff Zahn hinted at (and he had to fight to be able to hint at anything). The Republic cloned people to fight... something and then went crazy or decided to go into business for themselves, or maybe both.

Yeah, my take back then was that it was kind of a nuclear war analogy -- some unknown galactic powers fought eachother with an endless supply of clone soldiers and maybe the clones rebelled, and the war got enormous and bloody and awful enough that the technology was banned and destroyed wherever possible. I know nostalgia is everything, but I still think it's weird that the Clone Wars were apparently the point where people stopped using robot armies in favor of human troops, which seems kinda silly after watching a million Terminator movies.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Movies 2 & 3 do portray the clones as an antagonist force. movie 2 is all about the clones being used to make the Jedi start a war which didn’t need to happen and which will make clones an omnipresent military force surrounding the Jedi. In 3 the point of this is revealed, it was to entrap and kill the Jedi. Everyone thought they were fighting for the republic, even them, but that was all just cover for their real purpose. They are antagonists, they just don’t know it. The clones in the prequels didn’t “bring down the republic”. The republic just became the empire. It didn’t lose a war and wasn’t conquered. We aren’t provided any information in the original movies about why the wars were named the clone wars (let alone by whom, what angle they were trying to push, etc) and there is no clear grounds for supposing what relation the wars bore to the clones pre-prequels.

Not really? I mean, even in your description here, they're just a bunch of idiots and unfortunates getting tricked into fighting eachother so the badguys can take over. The knowledge that the clones exist is what gets the Jedi to start a war, not anything the clones themselves are doing, and the Trade Federation is presented as the obvious bad guy (even though we know it's being put up to it by the real bad guy).

It's not until the clones kill all the Jedi that they actually become the antagonist force, and even then, I always thought Order 66 was like beep boop hypnosis, they just shifted into robot mode and carried out the order and killed a bunch of dudes they were friends with. I dunno if they ever go into how the clones reacted after the Emperor took over (what am I talking about lol this is star wars of course there must be clone trooper novels) but it's only at that point that they can be blamed for staying in the military and propping up an evil dictator and choosing to be the antagonist force (if they even have that much free will?)

e: okay, someone lay it on me. What happened with the clone troopers after Order 66? I know they were pretty chill with the Jedi before that. Are they programmed fleshy robots or real people?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 12, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

VinylonUnderground posted:

While the Prequels look like dogshit, when talking about "why I don't like the Prequels" their graphics is way near the bottom of the list and it is a looong list.

Yeah, I didn't think it was the graphics so much as the direction. I remember seeing a Behind The Scenes that just ruined it for me entirely -- they showed Ewan McGregor and Samuel L Jackson alone in a green room and someone yells "ok you're fighting off robots, you're fighting off robots, you're blocking lasers" and the actors kinda wiggled their sabers around randomly, just trying to look cool and doing their own thing. And then they did a segue to the full CGI version, and you can see how Obi Wan is just kinda wiggling his saber around randomly, trying to look cool, and the CGI robots are just walking themselves right into the saber and getting dismembered. I guess its the Force?

I can't watch any of those action scenes without noticing it now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't get why everyone liked the podracing stuff so much!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ok how much of goddamn Boba Fett do I have to watch to know why BaeYo is back with the Mandalorian?

I guess I'm glad we're getting more of them together but I have no idea who or why they decided this little baby is better off hanging out with this nomadic, violent mercenary instead of getting Jedi training with Luke Skywalker.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

It's not like those three episodes have some rich backstory you're missing out on that explains the reunion. Watch boba if you want but all that happens wrt grogu is: Din goes to visit Grogu to give him a suit of chain mail he had the armorer make for him. Luke said he was too busy training and needed to be free of distractions. later Luke tells Grogu about the visit and says he needs to make a decision, take the armor and return to Din or stay and become a Jedi. episode 7 R2 shows up in the xwing, chucks Grogu out, leaves. the end. There's a couple training sequences you'll miss out on but :shrug:

that's stupid

this whole thing is stupid

why would you let a baby make that decision he's just a dumb baby

"hey little kid, do you want to go with boring mom who keeps you safe and makes you go to school every day or cool dad who flies around in a spaceship and shoots people?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

sure sure best that the tiny baby goes off with the violent mercenary with no home or schooling or support network there's certainly no middle ground

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Beskar casing, flamethrower, grapple, and those neat Whistling Bird dart drones (Which frankly feel like a waste of Beskar if they're one-shot, but very neat).

I remember this felt really videogamey to me hahaha. The full set of armor costs 18 Beskar but the "camtono" had 22 Beskar in it, so he blew the rest on these little darts instead of doing the smart thing and holding it til later on when the tech tree opens up and he'll have a head start on buying the VibroBeskar upgrades and the backpack missile.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

this is Steve 19bby and today we have authentic imperial travel biscuits. let's get this out onto a tray

Nice!

I had to click your link and it STILL took me a second to realize this is a real product for actual people. "Festool systainer" sounds exactly like a nonsense name they'd use in the Star Wars universe, I guess for storing your festools?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Who was the Jedi that saved lil Grogu? He had a serious Disposable Hero look about him so I was kinda surprised that he didn't get merked by the end.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It makes me :3: to know they're still making these Legends of the Hidden Temple type immersive game shows for kids.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

so when we saw the pirate spaceship crash down ten feet away from the settlement, were we supposed to interpret that as causing untold amounts of pollution and environmental destruction similar to, say, a train derailment in modern-day ohio?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean, Ahsoka turning up with white lightsabers and doing her own wandering ronin thing is an easy example of a character's past in cartoon informing what they are doing.

That's more of a cameo than anything influential, though -- if the white lightsabers ever figured into the actual plot, we'd see a flashback or something on the show. IDK if Bo Katan is a failure or what, but based on what we've seen here, she's a leader who's had a setback but might be going on a spiritual reawakening that will allow her to succeed. We're not meant to assume she's a total gently caress-up based on a ten year old cartoon that most viewers haven't ever seen.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I dunno, I have complicated feelings about it. Carl weathers was basically trying to do the age old scam of privatizing profit and socializing risk.

Obviously mole lady was manipulating that sentiment to mole ends, but I feel like the new republic was within rights to tell him to gently caress off with that for totally non corrupt reasons

I mean... a little complicated, I guess, but in the end we're talking about a bunch of colonists who're gonna get murdered by pirates. Feels a lot like that fire department that just watched the guy's house burn down because he didn't pay his fire insurance. Hold their feet to the fire afterwards, tell them they need to pay for the rescue or pay taxes to the New Republic or whatever, but that's a lovely move. Hell, even Blue didn't turn up to help them. gently caress the New Republic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean, he was defeated. And then she did beat the cyclops cyborg thing.

Are there even any rules that say you have to be challenged to ritual combat for the darksaber or can someone just walk up to Din and smash his head with a rock and run off with it?

Yeah but cmon, this was suuuper anti-climactic. They've been waffling around with the Darksaber for so long and made such a big deal about how Din can't give it to her because it needs to be won in battle, and then "uhh, actually it's okay if I just give it to her because last month she beat the guy who beat me and so through the transitive property..." and all the renegade Mandalorians just kinda nod, like okay, I guess that works too, sure. I mean, I get that they kinda wrote themselves into a corner, but yknow, have her save Din in sight of all the Mandalorians, maybe? And at least have him give her the Darksaber right when it happens, not wait a few weeks until you've worked out the loophole.

I don't mean to complain much, though, episode owned so hard. I want to see more street-level detective stories like that, where they explore regular life in the Star Wars universe that isn't about Star Destroyers and space wizards. Also loved the Mandalorian battle with all the Mando gadgets we've seen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Star Wars has many philosophical... Issues when it comes to droids. If Grogu's new cranky body seems "OK" to Grogu and less so to Din, the in-universe explanation doesn't really need to be more complex than that. Droids aren't always depicted as people. It's hosed up, but it's not necessarily seen in-universe as such. They mind-wipe droids willy nilly in the original movie series, and that's arguably murder already.

It really comes down to how "sentient" the droids are, I think, and that's not something they've ever gone into much detail about. Are they really thinking and feeling, or is it just a ChatGPT-type predictive language thing where they're just programmed to give the responses people are looking for? Or maybe somewhere in the middle -- the droids from last episode seemed like they had their own feelings and opinions, but they also seemed to be "programmed" in a sense, that they still wanted to fulfill the functions that they were built for.

I think it's a much thornier problem when you're talking about man-made machines. Like, obviously if they were some alien species then yes, they're being held as slaves and it's a travesty, but droids were literally built from nothing and given a programming loop that says "wander around making gonk sounds" or whatever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

lando calrissian

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Have they said anything about Pedro Pascal in the next season? I saw that article where they said "The Mandalorian" isn't just referring to Din Djarin anymore, but I didn't know if that meant he's too big a star to bother with this poo poo now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Wait, I've heard that before. What's the deal? He just wears Mandalorian armor to look cool?

e: i mean it works he looks really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

They call it recharging and it's normal to do before battle

i appreciate you friend

watch Future Man, people. Hilarious and underrated sci fi gem.