Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've seen some tweets saying that Mark Hamill had a stealth cameo in this episode as an Ugnaught. Is there any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

Seeing two mandos playing catch, I want to see Mandalorian football. Do they get to have jetpacks?

Yes. It's full contact. Wrist rockets and flamethrowers are a go. Though disintegration rifles are banned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol this is the best episode of Mando hands down. Like it’s got everything.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I also love that they had set up flag standards and were lounging like they were Roman field commanders. It’s a nice ironic juxtaposition.

Could you imagine a pirate ship full of Watch Mandos trying to “This is the Way” it across the galaxy for a job?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New idea. Get Rian Johnson to make a Star Wars detective show instead of a dumb movie

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I also love that they had set up flag standards and were lounging like they were Roman field commanders. It’s a nice ironic juxtaposition.

Could you imagine a pirate ship full of Watch Mandos trying to “This is the Way” it across the galaxy for a job?

It reminded me more of a feudal Japanese Warlord's camp to me, but I did appreciate the visual all the same.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

It reminded me more of a feudal Japanese Warlord's camp to me, but I did appreciate the visual all the same.

Yeah, a real “we drink our blood from a cup” vibe.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm glad Din just nodded to Bo instead of dropping a "This is The Way" after making his case. I feel like it would have cheapened the whole thing considering he's the odd one out in that situation.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 5, 2023

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I am so fuckin annoyed they called it a hyper loop please tell me explodes later on

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

moist turtleneck posted:

I am so fuckin annoyed they called it a hyper loop please tell me explodes later on

Like I said, I have recency bias with Athens cause of my reading, so when I heard direct democracy + hyper-loop I immediately thought “this place will be full of wealthy weirdos” and sure enough…

But, yeah, the direct democracy of Athens only worked because they were a slave economy. I won’t bog the thread down with my ADHD history lecture addiction.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Why the dome, it's perfectly nice outside?

So they could do a Logan's Run tribute. Tube-cars and all!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

This was some weird poo poo and I don't know what's going on with this season. Lizzo, Jack Black, Christopher Lloyd, a ridiculous "investigate" quest that didn't affect the story's arc, and then "you can has drksbr LOL" after it was built up as the loving Holy Grail in previous seasons (and shows). This is stooping to Book of Boba Fett level ridiculousness.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, this season hasn't really been my jam and I don't care much for the current storyline. It's not offensively bad or anything, but I just haven't really been super into any episode. Washed for me I guess. Just spinning wheels until I see the Ahsoka trailer and we get a live-action Ghost Crew -- that's all I'm looking forward to now. Please make it good, Filoni sir, I beg you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not hating this season but it does feel like Disney doesn't really give too much of a poo poo for it being their flagship Star Wars title anymore. It's another placeholder until they can push Ahsoka as the new tent pole.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Mando is best when its a slice of life anime similar to clone wars

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm not hating this season but it does feel like Disney doesn't really give too much of a poo poo for it being their flagship Star Wars title anymore. It's another placeholder until they can push Ahsoka as the new tent pole.

Disney executives want to replace all this expensive poo poo with a kid wearing a wig that they can make for 10 grand an episode

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

CelticPredator posted:

Lol this is the best episode of Mando hands down. Like it’s got everything.

I've been higher than most on this season in general and I thought it was the weakest. I really like world building background stuff in general though which most of this season up to this point has been.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked it because it was silly and a single contained story and above all it looked visually good and not as bad as the other episodes have this whole season.

Plus battle droids and Jack black come on

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Why in the world did Lizzo knight Grogu? What? Was it because he helped her cheat at pillbug croquet? Why was this included? What was the purpose? The only thing I can imagine is "and YOU get a prize too!" She known Grogu for what, an afternoon? I know Star Wars writing can be dumb, but that was really dumb.
i don't have the words to explain it, but it was 100% in line with the vibe of that room. if grogu were a human child, he'd be chattering away on the car ride home how he rode the space tube and met queen lizzo and she gave him cakes and candy and they played pillbug croquet and she knighted him!!!

this episode ruled. buck-wild, mass effect-rear end adventure smashed together with a cop show with prequel references out the wazoo. just havin' fun out there

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Grogu had a whimsical day.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

Grogu had a whimsical day.

Only slightly disappointed the focus wasn't on Grogu, and every now and again, you'd see Din and Bo in the background, wrestling battle droids, putting out a fire, rescuing hapless citizens from murderous droids, or rugby-tackling Christopher Lloyd through a seven-tiered cake

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ash1138 posted:

i don't have the words to explain it, but it was 100% in line with the vibe of that room. if grogu were a human child, he'd be chattering away on the car ride home how he rode the space tube and met queen lizzo and she gave him cakes and candy and they played pillbug croquet and she knighted him!!!

this episode ruled. buck-wild, mass effect-rear end adventure smashed together with a cop show with prequel references out the wazoo. just havin' fun out there

Yeah you can clearly see the through-line of Grogu had a day out getting spoiled rotten by Rich Auntie Lizzo and she's just spoiling him more with a title as a present to take home. I really hope it comes up again at some point, even if it's just "Introducing Princess Bo, Din of Concordia, and Sir Grogu, Knight of the Independent Monarchies." If not getting them in the door somewhere because Grogu's got a fancy title.

On the Darksaber You can tell Din's bullshitting to force the blade on Bo. He completely obfuscates the events by saying he was "defeated" and the person who defeated him was slain by her in turn, so the blade's hers By Right, but that just leaves the Mando's assuming it was some big epic fight that he lost fair and square.

And not actually getting ambushed and restrained the entire time while sending Grogu back to call Bo for help, whereupon she picked the discarded sword up off the ground and used it briefly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah you can clearly see the through-line of Grogu had a day out getting spoiled rotten by Rich Auntie Lizzo and she's just spoiling him more with a title as a present to take home.

On the Darksaber You can tell Din's bullshitting to force the blade on Bo. He completely obfuscates the events by saying he was "defeated" and the person who defeated him was slain by her in turn, so the blade's hers By Right, but that just leaves the Mando's assuming it was some big epic fight that he lost fair and square.

And not actually getting ambushed and restrained the entire time while sending Grogu back to call Bo for help, whereupon she picked the discarded sword up off the ground and used it briefly.

I mean, he was defeated. And then she did beat the cyclops cyborg thing.

Are there even any rules that say you have to be challenged to ritual combat for the darksaber or can someone just walk up to Din and smash his head with a rock and run off with it?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The one weird day where a spider monster thing was the lord of mandalore by right

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are there even any rules that say you have to be challenged to ritual combat for the darksaber or can someone just walk up to Din and smash his head with a rock and run off with it?

The mainline Mandalorians operate on Ork Logic. If you're the strongest you lead, but if you krump a git from behind and run off with his prize stabba that's good too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

that's why they never remove their helmets, otherwise it would be constant head conking for domination

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think it's one of those things where the story's as much a part of it as the object itself. "I clubbed the old owner in his sleep and stole it" isn't gonna win you the hearts of the Mandalorian people, it's probably gonna get you shot by the first challenger who'll then say they redeemed the blade or something by taking it off your corpse honorably. "I picked it up off the ground while the owner was held captive and rescued him with it", isn't exactly a grand tale of claiming it for yourself, but "Din was defeated, and I defeated the one who beat him in turn in sequential single combat" is a much better story to peddle to a race of warrior-fanatics.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

The one weird day where a spider monster thing was the lord of mandalore by right

It was already on Mandalore too. Everything is adding up. All hail spider-borg!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My only objection remains that Grogu cheated :argh: But it's kind of great that Din figured out a way to rules-lawyer around the Darksaber nonsense, because it is all nonsense, he doesn't want it, Bo does, and well here you go, my friend.

It was more fun when Din went space cow-boy with The Judge's favourite, Timothy Olyphant, but Din and Bo being space Columbo was still entertaining. And come on, Doc Brown as the bad guy?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh no. Oh gently caress. Are we supposed to assume that Din just came up with that on the spot? The thing the audience has been complaining about for weeks just, in the moment, occurs to Din and it blows everybody’s mind. I find that hilarious in a meta, unintentional way.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why weren't there any IG units to borrow from the ugnauts

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
These honor duels always seem a little suspect because looking at all the recall election bullshit we have in real life politics, you better bet every craven career climbing little poo poo of a foundling is gonna be issuing challenges at really convenient times to undermine leadership and fragment governments. Hmm I suppose that's why Mandalore went to poo poo huh.

Missed opportunity for Queen Lizzo to be all, "Let me play you the song of my people" and start rocking out on a space flute.

Romeo and Squidliet bit felt very star trek-y for some reason, guess the camera angles and sets.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly they should probably wear helmets at least before dueling

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Also if you're planning to be a space villain don't put your real name on the invoice of the illegal space things you're buying...you know... illegally. Love it.

I mean, this just happened where I live: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-jose-police-union-opioids-drugs/3194097/

quote:

Segovia allegedly used her office at the San Jose police union to distribute controlled substances. In one instance, Segovia was told by a supplier to send a package to a woman in North Carolina. Segovia then allegedly sent the supplier a photograph of a shipment made using the UPS account of the San Jose Police Officers' Association.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Panfilo posted:

Missed opportunity for Queen Lizzo to be all, "Let me play you the song of my people" and start rocking out on a space flute.

Right as the credits rolled, my wife said, "you know what would make this episode better? Lizzy with a space flute."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Also if you're planning to be a space villain don't put your real name on the invoice of the illegal space things you're buying...you know... illegally. Love it.

Yes but it works because he is very old and old people do stupid poo poo like that all the time

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah but cmon, this was suuuper anti-climactic. They've been waffling around with the Darksaber for so long and made such a big deal about how Din can't give it to her because it needs to be won in battle, and then "uhh, actually it's okay if I just give it to her because last month she beat the guy who beat me and so through the transitive property..." and all the renegade Mandalorians just kinda nod, like okay, I guess that works too, sure. I mean, I get that they kinda wrote themselves into a corner, but yknow, have her save Din in sight of all the Mandalorians, maybe? And at least have him give her the Darksaber right when it happens, not wait a few weeks until you've worked out the loophole.

I don't mean to complain much, though, episode owned so hard. I want to see more street-level detective stories like that, where they explore regular life in the Star Wars universe that isn't about Star Destroyers and space wizards. Also loved the Mandalorian battle with all the Mando gadgets we've seen.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I told my wife that Lizzo turned up in a Star Wars, her first reaction was "is she going to be in more episodes" followed by "did she play a space flute?"

If anything, yes, she should have played a space flute and Jack Black should have been even more over the top. Straight-up Hedonismbot over the top.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I assume that din or baby Yoda will get the saber back eventually when it really matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also is that planet going to be mad as hell when bo steals their security force