Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:siren::siren::siren: HO HO HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT, it’s the 12TH ANNUAL SOMETHING AWFUL CHRISTMAS MUSIC THREAD! :siren::siren::siren:

How do you do, fellow goons? 2020. What a year, amirite? Like… goddamn :negative:

I know. Everything sucks. But now it’s your chance (yes, YOU! YOUR chance!) to make it suck a liiiiiittle bit less. It is time for yet another Awful Xmas Music compilation! I think this year, of all years, can and will be the absolute best Awful Xmas years. This is one for the books, ladies and gents. This is the year we can do something really, REALLY special.

But that all depends on you.

Can you sing? Play an instrument? Draw? Photoshop? Write lyrics, either original or parody?

Did you literally answer any of these questions at all? It doesn’t matter whether you said yes or no, WE NEED YOU to participate in this year’s Awful Xmas celebration.

Q: What’s this all about?
A: Back in 2009, a goon named Schweinhund started a thread, all about (making) awful or awesome xmas music. It didn’t have to be good, it didn’t have to be bad, it just had to be Made By Goons. My Jolly-and-she-knows-it wife, goon jennyinstereo helmed the subsequent annual threads for many years after that, give or take a few of the last ones. We’ve been busy! We had kids and stuff! This year is different, though. I mean, we STILL have kids, but they go to bed early, and we work from home now, so we can get up to all sorts of shenanigans. Plus, this year is very important. I mean, aside from needing to push away all of that negativity that 2020 has brought upon us, this is technically the 10th anniversary of the first year…. so…… while it’s the 11th time we’re doing this, it’s actually the 10 year mark since we all started. :toot:

Q: What happens if I know nothing about recording?
A: Don’t worry! We have a bevy of resources (actually, probably about 2.5 bevies’ worth) at your fingertips! Don’t have any instruments? Team up with other people who might not want to sing! I don’t know, maybe even record a video of you conducting, and then other people can watch that and play along to something you wrote. I forgot the question. Round up some helpful folks from the Musician’s Lounge to help out. Or don’t and go it alone! Either way, it’ll be fine, and it’ll be loved.

Q: I don’t think my stuff will be good/I don’t have confidence/Oh my heavens, I could NEVER record a song!
A: It will be, and you should. Whether it’s awful or it’s great, or it’s anywhere in between, in the words of Indiana Jones’ son, JUST DO IT! We will have nothing but appreciation for your efforts, and it will help bring us all together to celebrate this joyous season. These albums wouldn’t be what they are if it was all Pro Musician poo poo all the time. Sure, some stuff sounds better than others, but do you know what I listened to the other night and laughed my rear end of to? Jingle Butts. Yes. Jingle Butts. Y’all remember that one, don’t you? Silly and simple idea, very hastily recorded… still funny!

C’mon and join in!

Q: Ok, so I wrote a thing, how do I submit it?
A: Simple! Put it up on Soundbutt (and make it downloadable) or another hosting site of your choice (:rip: Tindeck), post the link in here, and :siren: include the text: HERE’S A GIFT:siren:. This is to ensure that when I’m trawling through the thread, I’m able to easily keep tabs on what tracks have been uploaded.

Q: What’s the deadline?
A: I’m thinking first day of winter, so Dec 21st 2020. That’s not a hard and fast rule, and if something you REALLY want gets in like the day after, that’s fine, I’ll add it in. I love doing track ordering, so I’ll be also taking care of that. I want to format these albums like CDs would have been, back in the day. My first involvement with any of these Awful Xmas albums was 2012’s (in my opinion, PERFECT) 4-disc set, Merry Christmas and the Infinite Santa. I slaved away at making sure the track listing was juuuuuuuust right, and I am to do that again this year.

Q: Can I get the older albums anywhere?
A: YES, my dear goon, oh my yes. You can get almost all of the previous albums from my site OR you can check them out on Bandcamp here. Also, I’m gonna need some help getting the last few albums up onto my site, so if anyone can help me with that, PM me, or at least coordinate it in this thread.

Q: Do I have to pay for any of this?
A: Only with your time and sanity. If you want to put money towards it, just put money towards the forums. Now that they’re under new and seemingly excellent management and not run by some dick, buy an upgrade for your favourite artist! Or the funniest song! Or just to donate, I don’t know, I am, once again, not your dad.

Q: Other than music, how can I contribute to this thread/album?
A: A number of ways, actually! Like I mentioned, you can write lyrics. If you have an excellent idea for a parody song, but you only want to write the words, that’s fine, post ‘em if ya got ‘em, and it’s very likely that some other musically inclined goon will take the helm and record it. Another way to contribute is through album art and/or videos! 2012 gave us a very special promo video, featuring Carol of the Bombs by Farmer Hank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sHWCzM6W3Q

Oddly enough, another way to take part is to just discuss past years. Eventually, I’ll have all of the proper links up ITT. Like I said, I’m just making this kind of basic OP for now, so it’s HERE, and so that we all get an extra little jump on things.

You’re all beautiful, you’re all wonderful, and you’re all expected to take part in this. In all seriousness, every year, without fail, at least one goon on here writes that this thread and the music is either the only thing, or one of the few things that help get them through the holidays. And we all need this. We really, really do, some more than others. So c’mon in and let’s celebrate the ever-loving gently caress out of this holiday!! :glomp: :unsmith:

Edit:

Previous thread links!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Why ain’t there any thanksgiving music huh? :thunk:

MAKE SOME!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jennyinstereo posted:

Now's your chance to write some! Here, I'll help out:

Now get your fork and your plate
For this hot rear end turkey
Bring a napkin and a date
For this hot rear end turkey
Pay my rent just to taste it
All this hot rear end turkey
Don't you dare make me waste it
Eat this hot rear end turkey

You're welcome :smug:

Goddamn.

I'm so hungry right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

:neckbeard: Yay! I hope to have something up very soon. Nothing on the level of This Postman Can!, though.

e: Also note, Rupert Buttermilk, that the 2018 album is not organized in any way.

If no one objects, I'd like to put it in some sort of official order when I tackle it sometime this month.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Woke up in a cold sweat after I realized this is actually year 12, not 11.

:psyduck:

Aaaaauuggghhhh, you're right.

Jfc....

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

God yes, gently caress yes, way back in like 2012 I made a song for this ("WHAT TIME? CHRISTMAS TIME") with my college buddies and it's still one of my favorite memories. God bless ye merry goontlemen

My favorite one has always been that goon Carol of the Bells where the one guy chimes in with DOOOOONG DOOOONG DOOONG DOOONG

Wait, wait... Are you the "I'll tell you the Christmastime" goon?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Possibly?? The chorus was primarily about Santa's balls if that's helpful!

Edit: Wait wait oh you mean SNATTER CLAUS, I wish I was that funny

I don't mean Snatter Claus. I literally mean, from disc 1, track 4, of the 2012 album, the song "(I'll tell you the) Christmas time".

https://saxmas.robotcousin.com/2012-merry-christmas-and-the-infinite-santa/

It was by "Morning Bell", but I know how goons change their usernames whenever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

im_sorry posted:

MY PRESENT IS UNDER THE TREE.

I mean, HERE'S A GIFT.

https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/remembering-christmas-past - I was thinking about Christmas when I was a kid in the 80s, and this came out.

Thank you for this submission! Here's hoping that we get more as the week progresses!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If there's one thing this year lends itself to it's ever more black comedy. Something about grandma dying of corona on christmas.

A dark take on "Grandma got run over by a reindeer."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Thank you!

Adding to the OP!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

HERE'S A GIFT!

Flipperwaldt - Joy to the Wank

Let me know if this doesn't turn out to be downloadable or something; I think I did everything right.

So yeah, let's get this poo poo rolling!

Ok, all, we have to kick this thread into high gear, and my god, this is one of the ways to do it.

Flipper, I love this, in the same way that I love O Holy Mouthpiece; it almost sounds classical and normal, and yet very much isn't.

This one goes onto the "subversion" playlist in that you could trick your non-goon friends and relatives into playing this, and then they'll eventually realize something is very wrong.

Good goddamn work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

arseballs posted:

I'm still at the stage with it where most attempts to play properly sound awful,

Perfect!

Cut, print, ship shitpost.

Seriously, this is what these albums are about. Some goons post exquisitely mixed tracks, and others are the aforementioned Jingle Butts. And we love them all the same!

This year, the main focus truly is quantity over quality. Please find in yourself the spirit of giving, and post your works.

You know how parents love even the worst made crafts from their toddlers, and then they hold on to them for years?

I want musical versions of those.

Also, apt username, The Pope Of Fun. You're 1000% correct.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 8, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah I agree with the sentiment that, while some songs DEFINITELY benefit from swearing, not having it will likely get it played more in general. If you don't care about that, then whatever, all good.

I will say though to never underestimate the comedic power of beeped swearing; more often than not, the bleep is funnier than if it hadn't been there.

A notable exception to this is when Wayne and Dary verbally rip up the hockey players in the first scene of the first episode of Letterkenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Nobody is freaking out about it?

Exactly. It was a question, which was then answered.

Figures all of this, excuse the term, 'hullabaloo', would come from someone named "Halloween Liker". :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^ Beautiful, LP. I love it, gently caress.

Dzhay posted:

Is there a good guide to audio editing for absolute idiots out there?

I have some ideas, but no relevant skills.

Are you looking for ANYTHING specific? Also, what software are you or do you plan on using?

Here's a link to an Audacity guide but I'd strongly recommend Reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ClwSNm362E

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

In my opinion, if you've never touched anything before, do Audacity.

Reaper is great software, but it takes a while to figure out and you may hit a wall and just give up. Audacity will get you your dumb song. Reaper will get you a better one, but not until you figure it out.

All of this is true.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

I'm working on a follow-up to last year's Jingle Bell Ragnarok (which I may also remaster), titled It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Krampus. If anyone knows of any good public domain SFX resources, I'd appreciate links to them.

Freesound.org, just be mindful of which Creative Commons license a given sound falls under.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Really? Huh. I guess my ideas were better than I thought! I'm genuinely touched to hear you say that. I still wish I knew what in Santa's name possessed my to do Holly Jolly Battle of the Forms. That whole concept is way out there, even for me.

EDIT: While trying to fall asleep, a thread title idea came to me: Merry Lives Matter. I thought I should post that so I didn't forget it. Also, I think instead of the FRE I mayread from the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure. That's more specifically relevant, though I'm not sure offhand its length relative to the FRE.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be touching that one; a LOT of marginalized and disenfranchised people being murdered for no reason. Ironically enough, I'd sooner riff on the goddamned coronavirus, really.

Something Awful Xmas Super Spreader of Joy Vol 12.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bottom line is that I will not be deciding the album title; it'll be up to the popular vote. Y'know.... like a democracy. Like a thread title. So if some goon comes up with a good title and it gets unending empty quotes, then that's it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think a good idea for a parody would be Chris Isaak's Wicked Game, but the whole song would be based around the line in the chorus: "And Iiiiiiiiiiii want a pair of socks".

If this doesn't happen by the time I get the rest of my/our submissions in, then I might do it myself. I'm willing to accept lyrics posted in here.

Edit: just fyi, I haven't been as involved in this thread yet, strictly due to the fact that I'm finishing off the score for a game (goon made!) that comes out this Friday. So, after Nov 20th, I'll be doing my best to go, in earnest, hog loving wild.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:toot: thanks for the sticky! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

HERE'S A GIFT

I got sick and what equipment I have isn't feeling too hot either, but here's my macaroni picture for the fridge because I love y'all more than the world hates us.

The 12 Threads of Christmas
https://soundbutt.com/genghis-don/the-12-threads-of-christmas

Goddamn, dude. Goddamn.

The fact that it's not even on time is just :discourse: (EDIT: The ending is perfect)

And Silly Burrito, I appreciate your gift as well :glomp: I half expected it to jump right back into 'Last Christmas' again. Excellent work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A Santa hat with MAGA on it, and stupid Trump's face on it, with the words...

"Make Advent Gentile Again".

Too much?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

After “Hollycaust” I’d rather we didn’t dip into that well again and in retrospect never should have done so in the first place.

This is absolutely fair, yes. Good call.

Silly Burrito posted:

SA Christmas 2020: The Only Corona I Want For Christmas Is In A Bottle

I like this. Wordy, but good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

King Lou posted:

HERE’S A GIFT

I made this song after the deadline last year. You can't control when inspiration strikes!

JINGLE JINGLE YA in the style of Old Dirty Bastard's "Shimmy Shimmy Ya"
https://soundbutt.com/luis-fernandez-98/jingle-jingle-ya-king-lou-sa-xmas-2020-first-try

Here are most of my xmas songs. I'm missing my weird Secret Santa song... I lost a lot good tracks to the Tindeck collapse...
https://soundbutt.com/luis-fernandez-98/sets/king-lous-xmas-favorites

Excellent submission!

Also, are they not up on http://saxmas.robotcousin.com ?

EDIT: Also, I'm always down for more Pastor Ned!

Also also, jennyinstereo and I are likely going to turn on the mic this weekend and get something out. Can't wait!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 20, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Michaeldim posted:

Please some one who can do the music things (unlike myself) please make this post a song: :allears:

I feel like taking a crack at this with an overly shmaltzy, rat-pack impression (not saying I can sing, but maybe I'll aim for that).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yessssss, super happy to have both of your submissions for this year :toot:

Hey Haschel Cedricson, I need more!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

These have all been wonderful so far, and I really wish this thread was still stickied, as we now have less than a month left to go for submissions.

:ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

GBS rules thread says to message GRINDCORE MEGGIDO for all your GBS thread sticking needs. At least that's how I understand it. Can't hurt to ask.

Will do!

In the meantime, anyone want to compile their top 5 tracks? Top 10?

Or submit more to this thread?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

And we're stickied again! :toot:

I didn't even ask yet, but I thank whatever mod did it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

simplefish posted:

Masked Christmas,
Stay six feet apart.
If you don't and you spray,
You'll give it away.
This year
To save you from tears
Don't give it to someone special.

x2

{Jingle interlude}

R number is twice as high
I keep my distance so you don't catch it and die

Tell me baby, do you recognise me?
Well, my mask is on, it doesn't surprise me.

(Covid-19) Wrapped my face to prevent it.
Weird, you think the virus was invented -
How you "know" it's a flu you've seen -
But if i kissed you now, I'd be a fool all again.

Masked Christmas,
Stay six feet apart.
You'll give it away.
This year
Not overblown fears,

x2

{Jingle interlude}

Crowded room, how the virus flies,
Causing droplet that aerosolise.
My god, the vector is respiratory
Gee, I guess you think it's conspiratory.

Hands in a glove-a
Sanitiser to start
Remain undercover
'Cause I'm doing my part
Oooooh hoooo
Now Corona's around
I'd best Purell them again

Masked Christmas,
Stay six feet apart.
You'll give it away.
This year
Until an all-clear,

x2

Good lyrics but is it set to a particular tune?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

simplefish posted:

Oh sorry, yes, set to Last Christmas by wham!

Edited that in.

Wow, rereading it, it's quite obvious. I don't know why I didn't pick it up before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love this how much the thread has kind of exploded over the past few days. :toot: :glomp: Y'all are wonderful, and jenny and I sat down last night and she pretty much completed one, which is a thematic throwback to her most popular submission from waaaaaay back when. I'm just doing some final edits on it. Including that track, between us both, we're planning to have six tracks done by the end of it, including one so dumb, I literally laughed out loud when the idea struck me.

Also, the final mumble song in the mumble trilogy will happen.

Thank you all for submitting, listening, posting... It's all wonderful, and never stop (until the deadline, of course).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jesus, you goons just keep on giving!

Sometime after work, I'm going to tally up what we have so far, and maybe work out a tentative track order (to obviously be updated as more tracks are uploaded).

:glomp: Keep 'em coming! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HERE'S A GIFT!

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/im-too-jolly

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Well that was fun!

Thanks!

OK, so far, here's what I got...

I was gonna type it out, but c'mon... I'm tired. Also, I mixed up some track names vs goon names, but I've already fixed it on my end.

We have, so far, 24 tracks! :toot: Keep it up goons, and keep the music flowing!

And King Lou
Sleepytime
Jinh
Beer_suitcase
Tac Dibar

I need you to :siren:MAKE YOUR TRACKS DOWNLOADABLE:siren:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 2, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Praise be unto you and Tac Dibar, who PM'd me saying the same.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well... this is my favourite thing I've ever done, but that might be due to my love of Home Alone.

HERE'S A GIFT ( I don't even need to do this, but whatever! Rules are rules!)

"Chicago? No, Sheboygan": An Eclectic Tribute to Gus Polinski.

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/chicago-no-sheboygan-an-eclectic-tribute-to-gus-polinksi

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 3, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jinh posted:

I wanna redo "thank you my magi" to fix some of the weird pitch shifts, I was trying to hit the same notes as the singer but English and japanese are very different lol. My voice also gets lost in the instrumentals a bunch. I just know that I can do it better :haibrow:

You're more than welcome to resubmit before the 21st! Feel free, and I'll make sure it's reflected in the final archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

Oh my God, this is amazing! I lost it when Harry started getting into the conversation.

Snakes?