Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

alnilam posted:

Sebmojo reminded me to post this here:

Forums poster nut pulled off a really fun and creative stunt, with the help also of forums poster sk

Basically we banned nut by reqeuest for "no nut november" during which time they continued regular-posting as an alt named pecan whose av was like a negative version of nut's av

meanwhile nut regged another account, Terry Harri, a persona who is a birdwatcher who loves nuthatches, and who made a neocities website about nuthatches, but it turned out nut was trapped inside of the website's code somehow! so BYOB posters, helped along by a shadowy character named knut hiding in the javascript, were implored to solve 16 puzzles in order to free nut from the website code, culminating in a final RPG battle full of running BYOB jokes

Here's the thread, the second post has links to all the puzzles if you feel like doing them or even just looking at them
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948371

the entire endeavor was such a fun and cool work of art

you sniped me!! gonna dump my post anyway, in case i can give any behind the scenes insight or answer any questions:

---

hey everyone! i'm coming to you live from byob, where we just finished up a five week ARG themed around saving byob superstar nut from a confused bird-loving canadian. we'd love to have more people see it now that everything is finished, so i'll link it here before giving anything away.

--- SPOILERS BELOW ---

nut requested a joke ban for No Nut November and then started discussing the game with me on nov 1. we mostly split between nut being in charge of puzzle ideas and creating art assets while i focused on writing the site's HTML/CSS/JS along with a couple pieces of audio recording / animation. a lot of the "lore" that ended up attached to the game was a joint effort with the two of us just bullshitting back and forth on discord throughout. it took until nov 9, when we had already completed a few puzzles, for us to decide on the final reveals for each character's secret identity.

we were both happy to see each puzzle solved fairly quickly by a couple people who then helped to lead the rest of the forum to the answer. i only needed to drop a hint once or twice when the players were REALLY stuck--the community was always great at working together on a variety of different challenges.

as for the final battle...i was WAY too confident that my 10-15 year old flash knowledge would make it easy to animate a battle scene, but about 40 working hours later i definitely put myself in over my head. i was pretty bummed that we had to release the animation with a pretty major playback bug but byob was very kind to us when we released the finale! it turned out to be a great crash course for myself with adobe animate (a great piece of software with no problems at all), and hopefully i'll be able to make more stuff with it in the future! it was also an opportunity to animate this real weird final fantasy summon (spoiler for finale content, and possibly :nws: for tasteful snail nudity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2FZrE5BQow

so yeah, thanks to everyone who played along live, and i hope anyone joining now enjoys the game! it was a blast to work with nut in putting this all together, and i'm hoping for sure that another project like this comes along soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

alnilam posted:

lol sorry for scooping you!

just another example of byob teamwork :hfive: