Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Why is silence and squall in such a high regen tier? That thing is annoying as gently caress for damage and roaming area denial ability. Also lasts fuckin ages.

Because the rest of Revenant's kit is basically nonexistant for PvP now. The entire subclass now crutches on the super - which depending on the values is going to either be super broken (e.g. if it allows an additional use in relevant modes like Trials), or not enough to save the subclass. It's still not nearly as powerful as the top tier roaming supers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Kith posted:

also yeah this

a lot of hunter players are acting like this is going to make dodge worthless, which... no???? im sorry y'all have to wait slightly longer between dodges but this isnt going to kill you

It's a 60% longer cooldown on the dodge everyone uses in PvP. That's a pretty big deal. Dodge is still really good, especially on consoles since it breaks aim assist, but I feel like my TTD warlock's neutral game is now quite a bit stronger than any hunter subclass on PC.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

el B posted:

Save and collect at least one elemental affinity for every piece of armor.

Swapping affinities on armor you haven't leveled up costs only an upgrade module (aka 200 bright dust or a smattering of mats from Banshee/Ada) plus change, there's no reason to save armor of different affinities. Stats are far more important by the time affinities matter anyway.
Actually this is pretty good advice if you have old spare 8-10 energy stuff lying around. It is only irrelevant for low energy items.

Pioneer42 posted:

So, if I don’t want (can’t afford) to switch armor affinities willy-nilly, what combination is best to rest on and give a good mix of builds to try?

I've spent way too much time thinking about equipment and stats and mods in this game, and so much of the "build" content out there is click chasing bullshit. There are lots of builds out there using elemental wells and all sorts of fancy interactions that look good on Youtube, but most of them fall flat in the hardest content because they generally rely on chain killing enemies. In the harder content like GM Nightfalls and Master Raids you'll mostly be plinking from cover and relying on Protective Light to keep you alive when you step wrong. And for the easier content you don't need that stuff, and you'll be swapping sub classes and weapons all the time to do bounties, so those builds are 99% irrelevant. In PvP none of it works.

All in all you probably just want stuff that works regardless of what you use. Here's my simple thinking on gear while leveling and early maxlevel buildcrafting:

- Just so it's said: Obviously masterwork your ghost asap since it is almost free and never needs to be upgraded.

- Keep all exotics and all legendary armor pieces with 55+total/20+recovery or 60+total/15+ recovery. That's not an exact science but it will make sure you don't junk anything real valuable. By the time you fill up your vault you'll know better what to keep.

- While leveling up to the Powerful cap, just equip your highest light level stuff. If you have the choice between two armor pieces, choose the one with higher recovery. The only mods you need to care about at this stage are the relevant 1-point Champion mods on arms if you want to do Nightfalls. Any spare energy just fill it with stat mods.

- When you hit the Powerful cap at 1320, it's time to build your first non-masterworked set. Use DIM or d2armorpicker to put together a set with your favorite all-purpose exotic that gives you 70+ recovery (ideally 100) and otherwise just more stat tiers. If you're a hunter or titan you don't want to tank your Mobility or Resilience respectively but it doesn't matter a whole lot. This is the first time elemental affinity matters a bit, since you'll probably level these items to 8-9 energy (and maybe even masterwork the class item). See below.

- You can wear these items until you hit 1330, then repeat the process. When you get 7 shards you can make a fully masterworked set, so do that along the same principles. By this point you'll probably be swimming in alternative gear and low tier mats, so you can use those to craft any element specific fun builds. They won't need to be masterworked, since - as we covered - they generally aren't viable in the hard content anyway.

Slot specific elements:
Helm: Element doesn't matter.
Arms: Stasis has Grenade/Melee kickstart which are really good for most Grenade/Melee focused builds. Otherwise doesn't matter.
Chest: Element doesn't matter.
Legs: Arc and Void are decent. Arc because Invigoration is the cheapest way to activate Powerful Friends / Radiant Light if you only want to run one of them, Void because Better Already lets you pick up orbs of light even at full CWL which is relevant in some builds.
Class: Fire or Stasis. Fire: Bomber is very powerful for Grenade builds. Stasis: Utility kickstart is really solid for almost everyone.

Then there are also a bunch of mods that can be placed anywhere that will impact your choices.
In total across your pieces you definitely want 1 piece to be Void because Protective Light is by far the best combat mod for hard PvE content. Unfortunately it's only for sale one day every 3-6 months because Bungie thinks that's a good mechanic.
You likely also want 1-2 pieces to be Arc for Powerful Friends / Radiant Light since they are just all purpose good mods, but same as Protective Light above you might not have them for 6 months.
You may want 1-2 pieces to be Fire since it is all purpose useful for Supercharged/ChargedUp (see Protective Light disclaimer...) and possibly Argent Ordnance (yes, same disclaimer) when Gjallarhorn comes into play.

So for general use I would probably do something like this, but any variation will work depending on which mods you have been able to buy from Ada:
Helm: Fire
Arms: Stasis
Chest: Void
Legs: Arc
Class: Fire/Stasis

Key general non-element mods will fill most of your energy:
PvE: Champmods (arms), Statmods (anywhere, recovery to 100 then w/e), Concussive/Sniper/Melee resist (chest), Taking Charge + High Energy Fire OR Protective Light (anywhere), Particle Deconstruction (if using fusion), Focusing Lens (if in a party/raid with a Well Lock and a stasis something), Ammo mods (Finder, scavenger).
PvP: Statmods (anywhere, recovery to 100 then w/e), weapon targeting (helm), unflinching weapon (chest), weapon loader/dexterity (arms). Taking Charge + High Energy Fire.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 2, 2021

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Class item mods from the artifact aren't element specific though. Most of the time in PvE this season you'll be running Particle Deconstruction and quite likely Focusing Lens, so your class item's element doesn't actually matter at all.

It will be a good tip when PD rotates out though.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Youtubers hyping non-meta weapons is really just a veiled acknowledgment that the difference between weapons in a given archetype in Destiny generally isn't that big. As long as a weapon can get at least 3 good perks it's probably going to be competitive, but explicitly acknowledging that would make it a lot harder for them to hype the next "THIS new handcannon is INSANE!" or "EVERY legendary HC RANKED!" video they put out.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

TWAB is out. Mods are going to instant and glimmer free next week AND will now be able to be managed by 3rd party apps. Armor loadout with specific mods coming up real soon :getin:

That is absolutely massive, mostly just to take away the painful process of changing your whole mod setup going from PvE to PvP and back, but also for the weirdly specific elemental well builds etc that require you to tailor mods to the exact weapons/subclass you have on.

Also, freelance trials yay.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 3, 2021

Elerion
May 31, 2011
A Halo covenant pulse rifle by any other name...

Elerion
May 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

its honestly impressive the amount of people Bungie managed to gaslight into defending exactly this lmao, a sight to behold

On the other hand, people are weirdly precious about keeping deprecated content around. Personally I’d prefer they use resources on making new poo poo rather than keep old poo poo working/relevant.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
In honor of the Shatterdive nerfs I went all in and made a build maximising grenade uptime for the final weekend. Double grenade kickstart, double bomber, the works. It was pretty loving stupid, I would have Shatterdive every single round in Trials except if I died while diving.

So long, sweet prince.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Daress of Eternity uses the exact same rank, streak, and scoring system as Valor and infamy. You will need to run as many dares as you would games of Crucible to reset the rank and get the forerunner catalyst

Crashing or going to the treasure hoard will also break your streak

The streak system can go suck a gently caress. Why would you design your game to be more tedious and monotonous for no tangible benefit? There’s so much loving good content in this game, let me jump around and do what I feel like without getting a progress penalty.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I love how going to the Treasure Hoard resets the streak considering you have to go there for Horse bounties. Great design there.

Use the destiny phone app to get bounties. But yeah, it blows.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I’m gonna guess someone forgot to set the DoesNotBreakStreaks=1 variable for that zone and it gets fixed at some point.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-ug068wco

lake of shadows boss does not seem to have been buffed enough :v:

This is good.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I'm fairly new to D2 and I'm wondering is there anyway to know what perks I'm looking for. I'm already trying to buy as many mods in a days as I can but I'm starting to feel like my lack of weapons with good perks are hurting me. My buddy told me to run legendary sectors for stuff but I keep getting stomped.

Don't worry about it. Even perfect perk combos generally only buff performance by 15-25% versus a base weapon in their perfect scenarios, and other perk combos will be good for other things. Also, note that you don't have to have perfect perks all the way - usually the fourth column perk is much more powerful than the rest, followed by the third, and then the first/second are often afterthoughts.

What you need depends on what you want to do. I find the most demanding content in terms of your weapon park is Legend/Master Lost Sectors, GM Nightfalls and Master raids - because the combination of Match Game, Champions and high difficulty means you really need the right combos. But that is more about having the weaponry available than the specific perks. Outside of that content you can pretty much use whatever.

For PvP, you're generally looking for perks that increase range+zoom (because in addition to buffing damage dropoff range it also buffs the range AA works at) and handling (because it allows you to swap to/from your special weapon and ADS quicker). People that frequently go on kill streaks also like guns that get bonuses after a kill, but for most people that's a waste. The key thing about PvP though is that exotics are usually just as good as god rolled legendaries, so all you really need is one good exotic. Almost every exotic handcannon is super good. If you owned Forsaken before this week you can get Ace of Spades for free from the Kiosk which is possibly the best one of all of them. No Time To Explain (from the Beyond Light campaign iirc) is a top tier Pulse. Pair either of those with a shotgun (Good perks include: +range/handling, Quickdraw, Threat Detector, Opening Shot. Full choke for pellet shotguns.) and you have very close to a best in slot PvP loadout for all activities.
This is a pretty good list for exotic tier rankings for PvP, anything A or above is easily on par with god roll legendaries: https://www.blueberries.gg/weapons/destiny-2-exotic-tier-list/

For most normal PvE you can just use whatever, but perks that give you damage bonuses on kill and perks that buff your reload speed are generally really good for primary ammo weapons. For the really high difficulty PvE modes you will want something that doesn't require kills to help you, like Frenzy, Explosive/Timed Payload, etc. Honorary mention to Osmosis, which is generally a bad perk but can be worth having one or two of in your vault when you need one more element for Match Game content.
For special ammo ammo and heavy ammo weapons you'll generally want vorpal weapon, since you mostly use these to kill bosses and champions. Honorary mention to Blinding Grenades which is big to have as an option for special ammo grenade launchers, and Auto Loading Holster for all special/heavies which makes it far more comfortable to quickswap to your special/heavy for a yellow bar enemy without having to reload it afterwards.

Overall, just play around with it. The hivemind is pretty strong in Destiny and a lot of perks and weapons get dismissed even though they're very capable. Some perks will also be a lot better when paired with synergistic perks, say Demolitionist+AdrenalineJunkie , any "Buff after kill+reload" with any "Quick reload" perk, multiple perks benefiting from frequent kills (e.g. Subsistence/FeedingFrenzy + Rampage/Swashbuckler/AdrenalineJunkie), etc.

Some resources:
To see common/recommended perks for a given weapon, use light.gg. Beware the hivemind - sometimes the comments are more useful than the aggregated data.
To see how perks affect your weapons stats more directly, use d2gunsmith.com . This also shows more details about what perks actually do.
To see more details on perks than you could ever want, check out these spreadsheets:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i1KUwgVkd8qhwYj481gkV9sZNJQCE-C3Q-dpQutPCi4/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WaxvbLx7UoSZaBqdFr1u32F2uWVLo-CJunJB4nlGUE4/

Elerion fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 10, 2021

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So according to reddit, new lights are being pulled straight into Dares of Eternity. PS4 is also making the game free for people without PS+, so this should be fun.

If it works like expansion content, new lights probably get sent to Cosmodrome first for the new light quest, but returning players (including new light players on their first login after getting off Cosmo) probably get sent straight into Dares - which is going to get them slaughtered if they are 1100. No idea why Dares has recommended level 1150, it only serves to gently caress over those people.

On another note, the Forsaken campaign going free and Dares existing means that F2P Destiny is now in much better shape than it's been in a while.
Campaign content: New Light and Forsaken
Playlists: Strike/Crucible/Gambit and certain Nightfalls
6-man: Dares of Eternity
Dungeon: Prophecy
Raid: Vault of Glass
plus the rotating/holiday content like IB, Dawning, etc.

That would actually be a respectable amount of content for a launch title.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Any pulse should do if you just ignore mechanics and focus on killing adds, but pulses are pretty terrible for PvE so if you're struggling feel free to refund the bounty and pick one of the others.

A lot of the primary kill quests are going to become harder as more people learn how to do the first obstacle course. If you jump exactly when the golden half sphere on the spinning thing lines up with the static golden half sphere you'll get through the spinner every time, and then you can take your time walking over the star bridge. Getting through the top path gives you practically infinite heavy ammo for the entirety of the second room, so you can just spam fire rocket launchers and instakill everything.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

I haven't played in like a year and a half, when I think mars or whatever was past mars was the latest content, so without too much detail:

If I want to jump back into shootymans can I just buy Beyond Light and get into shooting said mans? Or will it be a slog or do I need to buy other content

"Beyond Light + 1 season" ($25 or so) is what you want to access the majority of the current content including season pass. You don't need anything else. It's the most reasonable cheap entry, and probably the one I would choose if buying from official stores. Otherwise see deluxe below.

This is what else you can buy:
Forsaken ($8 or so): Gives you access to a few exotics, strikes and a dungeon+raid, but none of it is mandatory in any way. The campaign is free now. People who owned it before the campaign became free just received 3 free exotics of their choice which is actually super nice, but not sure if that happens if you buy it now.
Shadowkeep ($8 or so): Gives you access to a few exotics, strikes and a dungeon+raid, but none of it is mandatory in any way.
Both the above are included in "Legendary editions" of the game, but I wouldn't buy that bundle. You can buy both these separately for cheap, and the Deluxe edition below is the better bundle.

30th anniversary($20 or so): Gives access to a new dungeon, the rocket launcher Gjallarhorn, and some cosmetics. The dungeon is very cool and fun, but it's pretty lovely value for money.

"Beyond Light Deluxe Edition" ($35 or so): This is the same as the 1 season version above, but also has access to 3 previous passes. You can't actually level those season passes anymore, but you get 1 free exotic for each of them and two of them are very good*. You also get access to a dungeon (Presage) which is super cool, can be soloed and drops probably the best allround weapon in the game if you get good rolls (Dead Man's Tale). I would actually recommend you get this, since upgrading to this later can only be done through official stores for a cool $30. Paying $10 more up front to get it is actually very much worth it imo.

All the prices above assume you buy from cd key seller sites (I have good experiences with cdkeys.com or g2a.com), which you should absolutely do if you like having money.

You can also buy Witch Queen normal or deluxe edition but that doesn't come out until February so it's really only if you know for sure you will be playing until then.

Oh it should be said that with the newest content drop there is actually a good amount of F2P content so you can consider playing for a few days before you buy anything.

* You will need to do this to get the exotics from past seasons (Ticcu's Divination, Duality, Cryosthesia): https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/pxy8bf/sga_you_can_still_obtain_old_armor_sets_seasonal/

Elerion fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2021

Elerion
May 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Long story short, we crunched.

It was my first job out of school and my first time apart from my wonderful partner (I met her when we were both teenagers) in a few years. After six months of 80-100 hour weeks with no feedback, just filling up Excel spreadsheets until midnight and hurling them into the void of the Perforce repo to meet an endless series of deadlines (D1 proper, DLC1, DLC2...) I was doing nights in the ER. A couple times I slashed my arm open in the morning so I'd be forced to go in to work to use the medical cabinet there to stop the bleeding. I asked for mental health leave. They said "if we did that we'd have to give everyone else mental health leave." So I quit and spent the rest of my 20s a depressed husk. I've been able to continue contributing to the IP - two of the next three expansions are titled with quotes from my work - but I haven't had a full time job since.

One night out on the town (the team did a LOT of drinking) I got left somewhere without a phone, really drunk and suicidal. I ended up wandering around asking strangers to help me. Nobody really wanted to, I guess I just looked like an ordinary Seattle vagrant. I ended up taking as much money as I could out of an ATM and giving it to a homeless guy, just to feel like somebody was gonna do something to help someone. I was pretty loving crazy by the end.

That Grimoire sure turned out nice though! Until they deleted it.

That loving sucks. Sorry, man.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BotP'd but this can't be missed... the Vex Skulls do FULL damage to teammates. It is fun enough I bet it gets pulled from the potential encounters :laugh:

Also, swords with the new Eager Edge perk give you so much momentum that you can body slam allies to yeet them into a wall and instakill them. And Dares gives you infinite heavy ammo and 5 helpless strangers to betray.

:allears:

Elerion
May 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

Forerunner is "balanced" by the fact it uses green ammo. I don't think that's going to slow down the higher skill players all that much though.

It’s weird because it is one of very few special ammo weapons that operates in the normally “primary only” 20-40m dueling range, and I think it beats anything in that range. This makes it really frustrating to go up against, especially in the modes where people can just shoot their green bullets, respawn and repeat.

It’s main shortcoming then becomes that the user will lose many engagements below or above that range to shotguns/fusions/snipers, since you’re basically playing double primary.

My hunch is they end up nerfing the ammo count a bit but otherwise leave it for a while. I’m not sure it’s going to be used that much more than Erianas Vow in competitive modes.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Yes, but most importantly right now:

:siren: The master lost sector completions for the MoT triumph still count if you complete them in a fireteam :siren: it’s bunker today so get that poo poo done!

Do you need just 1, or one in every location? The wording is confusing.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Snuffman posted:

I'm a somewhat laxed player in that I haven't hit full LL since Beyond Light (Season of the Hunt?).

All this talk of gameshow Xur, a Starhorse, and FOMO on the stuff that's going away may have dragged me back into this godawful game.

I'm LL 1270 (I briefly dipped back in with season of the splicer).

What's the best way for me to quickly catch up?

1270 means you can do most anything except Vault of Glass (1300), the new 30th anniversary dungeon (1310), Master/GM difficulty modes (1320-1360) and light level uncapped PvP (Trials/IB), so no need to stress it. You can just play the game and it will bring you there soon enough.

I'm sure you know the basics:
To get to 1320 you want Powerful drops. On the destination map you'll see a bunch of yellow blinking compass symbols. Each of those is a weekly challenge which offers either Powerful or Pinnacle drops. Before 1320, pinnacles count as +5 level Powerfuls. Once you get to 1320, only Pinnacles are +light level and Powerfuls turn into "at level" drops (which are still useful to bring up gear slots that have fallen behind). 1330 is the current gear cap, anything above that is gotten by leveling your Season XP Rank which gives you bonus light levels.
A list of weekly powerful/pinnacle rewards is here: https://www.blueberries.gg/leveling/destiny-2-max-power-level/

The fastest route is just to knock out as many of these challenges as you can, and after that probably farm Dares of Eternity because the amount of monsters you kill gives a ton of Prime Engrams. You can micromanage a bit when to pick rewards to avoid doing so when you have slots that are falling behind and dragging your average down, but it's really more of a hassle than it's worth. Just play the game imo.

Make sure you pick up and do as many bounties as you can while you go, to get season XP. You can pick up all the bounties from Orbit if you download the Destiny app on your phone.

Try hitting up a goon discord and get a carry through Vault of Glass as soon as you hit 1300. It drops a bunch of Pinnacles for an hour of work (and is also very cool).

Elerion fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 12, 2021

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The real hotness now is frenzy threaded needle

That’s such a spreadsheet warrior roll though. A lot of burn phases will have 5+ second pauses before you start, so frenzy will often fall off and take 12 seconds to come back.

It’s a bit like Lasting Impression which some people are pushing for Gjallarhorn DPS strats. Sure it may be the highest damage per rocket, but it delays all your damage by 3 seconds so it completely tanks your DPS in most real scenarios.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Marzzle posted:

I guess cdkeys is more grey market than green man? I’ve bought all my D2 on steam until now so i dunno the differences really

Green man is a regular game store that buys from publishers, while I think cdkeys and it’s like resell codes from promos, cheaper countries and old discounts.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Roman posted:

I was dumb and spent a forsaken cypher on an ascendant shard. I don't have that sparrow, anarchy, or tarrabah. Will I still be able to get something with raid spoils + ascendant shard when my other cyphers are gone? Not that I expect to ever get enough raid spoils but just curious.

Yes, you can do Xûr’s weekly quest for an Exotic Cipher, and turn that in along with I think 2 shards and 240 spoils + glimmer for one of the raid exotics.

If you need another shard, you will get one for each playlist vendor you rank up to 16 (Zavala, Grifter, etc), you can do Master/GM nightfalls, play Trials post 7 wins, or do Master Grasp of Avarice.

I wouldn’t stress it. Anarchy is not optimal for anything that matters, and the sparrow is completely unnecessary.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
The most egregious thing about the New Light intro is that it sends you to the same location like 3 times in 5 missions. Sure, they spin a thin story around why you do that, but when your game has so many assets that you literally have to delete some from the game, maybe they shouldn't reuse the same small area 3x in the first hour of gameplay.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
My first introduction to Cayde was the Forsaken intro mission where he dies. Let's just say I didn't quite understand why everyone was so sad to see the C-grade comedy sidekick go.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
If you don’t have your Eager Edge sword equipped for that encounter you are playing the game wrong.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Whatd be the sweet spot for Resilience for a Titan in PVE? I generally like being very tanky.

I can easily max it at T10 but that seems kind of unnecessary with only a 1% increase in damage resistance between T9 and T10.

Would it be better for a tank build to swap a few of my Resilience mods for Recovery mods?

Recovery is the best stat by a country mile and you should max it unless it costs you an unreasonable amount.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Listerine posted:

Is Pardon My Dust worth farming, and for what roll? I'm not a big grenade launcher fan but if this is a good one I'd like to save a good roll.

It's the only gun in the game which can roll Auto-Loading Holster with Blinding Grenades, so it's definitely worth getting one of those as it will be situationally useful. The rest of the rolls are of reduced importance, but my dream roll would probably have a Blinding/Spike choice and Vorpal in the 4th column.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
People buying the 30th anniversary bundle now: I highly, highly recommend finding a party of friends/goons that are willing to let you take lead in the dungeon, not spoil the mechanics for you, and laugh at you in Discord as you continuously fail your way through. Even better if you are all 3 new obviously.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
If you like playing PvP, Crucible rank is by far the fastest and most enjoyable to rank to 16 since there are different modes and you're not repeating the same exact scenario over and over. I have like 8 resets of Crucible rank this season vs 0-1 of the others, and I believe I tend to spread my playtime pretty evenly between PvP and PvE.

Regarding PvP weapon chat, I think the most important thing to realise is that weapons in Destiny have very tightly defined damage falloff distances. The more damage something does, and the more comfortable the weapon is to use (high RPM, full auto, good handling), the shorter the maximum range before damage falloff starts. When you get outside of that range, fall off in damage and aim assist mean that they will lose to weapons more suited for the longer range fight. So in theory, for every range there's a tool that is best for the job, typically the one that is just getting close to its maximum range.

Each weapon class can be broken further down, but as a very brief primer:
- Shotguns can one-shot kill, but only up to about 6-8 meters (8 meters is the distance you can sprint in 1 second), with slug shotguns going up to about 10 meters.
- Fusion rifles are weird and hard to define ranges for, but they mostly exist to 1-shot people just outside shotgun range.
- Sidearms and SMGs deal tons of damage and are super snappy, but start getting falloff at 15-17 meters (though there are some outlier SMGs that can get up to 25 meters).
- Auto rifles go up to 25-30 meters and are basically worse SMGs with longer range.
- Hand cannons go up to 30-35 meters and are extremely flexible thanks to a buttload of aim assist, high alpha damage and good in-air accuracy.
- Pulse rifles go up to 35-40 meters and have some of the fastest possible kill times in the game if you headshot on every bullet, but are burst fire so can be tricky and inflexible.
- Scout rifles, bows and sniper rifles have practically infinite range for PvP purposes. Scouts and bows are slightly unwieldy, but strong if you can handle them. Snipers one shot kill to the head but get so much flinch that they're impossible to hit with if you are taking fire.

In practice, most engagements happen up to 40 meters with the exception of really long obvious sniper lanes. As a result of that you'll currently see most PvPers run a hand cannon or pulse rifle as their primary to be able to fight across the normal engagement ranges, and then if someone gets within 15-20 meters they will try to close the distance to shotgun or fusion them. Two specific SMGs are also used a lot, Shayura's Wrath and Multimach CCX, because they can get up to 25 meters range and rule those medium range engagements.

Some exotics have their own genre bending rules and will exist outside these boxes.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

This a good quick breakdown, my only nitpick is that for the weapons that actually see the light of day in crucible SMGs and Sidearms shouldn't be thought of as having the same range. Sidearms live in the ~15-18m range than SMGs which exist in the 20-28m range. The bonus sidearms get for this range tradeoff is slightly faster and more forgiving TTKs.
Finally, not actually important but mildly interesting trivia, autos have some of the biggest range variation by archetype with rapid-fires topping out around 25m with max-range rolls and some autos being able to hit out to 40m (False Promises, Horror Story and Forward Path with the right scope).
Yeah, all correct. I think in my head I was listing base ranges and avoiding outliers, which is useful for him in order to pick among his own guns. Almost any SMG you face will be those 20+ meter outliers though, so they aren't really outliers anymore.

quote:

As atonement for pedantry, here's an example of me using a fusion rifle against someone I know is using a shotgun from this past weekend
https://streamable.com/0czws9
I can guarantee you that Arcstrider is extremely salty.

quote:

Almost all SMGs are also colossal rear end on controller vs mkb where they are absurd lasers with great ttk
I actually thought it was the other way around, that the reticle friction helped you track far better with SMGs on console. I don't play controller though, so you're probably right.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Another noob question, but where do you find groups for stuff that has no matchmaking? Is it only thru the app? I looked in the app and it’s somewhat unfriendly (lots of NO NOOBS type messages)

Don't use the fireteam finder in the app. It's only used by people that haven't figured out Discord exists or are too socially inept to form groups without having a "join" button to click. Most those people are also unable or willing to communicate.

Other than the goon discords, I've found both these LFG Discords very new player friendly. Post an LFG message in the correct channel stating what you want to do, that you are new, and that you'd like some help and you'll probably get some nice people to help you out. Alternatively you can respond to other LFGs and ask if they are okay with showing you the ropes.

https://discord.com/invite/destiny2lfg
https://discord.com/invite/D2LFG

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

help please im hooked on bungie crack again.

I bought Beyond light...

then I, uh called SONY and said I "made a mistake" and I actually meant to purchase the legendary edition, could you please take $10 more dollars and give me all the other expansions and seasons thank u

and then I got a big tip and was like "ok imagine that instead of a pile of money, this were the Witch Queen Deluxe edition that comes with Gjallorhorn dungeon... would u be mad" and poof just like that I have the whole next year of Destiny 2 secured...

but every goddam build that looks fun requires all these S14 mods or that loving cool Stasis sidearm and the only thing left to buy is the $20 season pass... and then id own... everything

pleez help my family is dying.

Is there another way to get all these Well of Light mods or is it PAY2WIN!?!?!?

The war table mods (S13?) don’t require a season pass, you can just do the opening battleground mission on… Nessus I think? To unlock the War Table and buy them. The compass / S15 season of the lost mods require the S15 season pass but that came with your legendary edition. The splicer mods (S14) DO require the splicer pass, and the only way to get that now is the Beyond Light deluxe edition upgrade for like $30 which is definitely not worth it unless you are a dumb adult gaming addict with more money than time (:wave:) considering all that gets deleted in 6 weeks. No one knows how we will get those mods after that, they may enter Ada-1’s retarded “one random mod per day” rotation.

Edit: If you are dumb and buy that deluxe edition upgrade you should definitely play the Presage mission ASAP because it is one of the top 3 pieces of content in the game, is going away in 6 weeks, and drops a loving amazing weapon with random rolls every week after your first.

Edit2: I should say also that it’s not PAY2WIN because those mods are great for making fun builds but not really used in anything difficult/competitive. They’re completely disabled in PvP and unfit for the highest end PvE.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 6, 2022

Elerion
May 31, 2011

For what reason do certain things like Exo challenges not have matchmaking when functionally identical things like strikes do? It's very dumb, and yes I did just waste a half hour finding out the last boss fight of survival is ludicrously tuned for one person, despite the fact that the other two are easy enough to do solo

I’ve never had an issue with the survival boss. Doesn’t it just melt in like 1 fusion rifle magazine?

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Wow GGGC, I thought I was pretty deep into the new super theorycrafting, but there was even a few things there I did not know. You should check out the Massive Breakdowns discord, you will find lots of nerds like you.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Thanks. I forgot to put this in the original post but I also have 2 forsaken ciphers from something or other; I already got the bow but was thinking Ace of Spades and something else for those two if anyone has any ideas. Gonna grab the witherhoard for now.

Forsaken ciphers: Ace of Spades if you like PvP. Monarque and Jotunn are all around great and useful. You should probably save 1 cipher in case the WQ sandbox makes one of the others super attractive.

To buy exotics from Xur for ciphers, you need to buy the engram he sells for Legendary Shards first. It has to be weekend Xur, not the Xur in treasure hoard.

Witherhoard and Erianas Vow are super worth it to buy though, get those asap because their catalyst quests require like 400 playlist completions and you want to get that clock ticking.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

actionjackson posted:

frostbolt doesn't seem to be very good at acknowledging when he makes a (rare) mistake lol

did arcstrider get buffed? some pvp lords seem to be using it now, and I know the super used to be rear end

The top/bottom super is still rear end. Anyone with medium awareness can just run away from it. It's okay in quickplay 6s because no one is paying attention to that sort of stuff, but in Trials it's mostly useful for scaring enemies away so you can revive.

People play bottom arcstrider because the neutral game is absolutely fantastic, and supers are much less common now anyway. It's just "play the way you would otherwise, and you will be faster, more durable and get abilities back quicker".

Middle arcstrider super is pretty good but the neutral game is pretty boring.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Dares rep probably resets on WQ release too, so I’ll have to push through that last level sometime over the next month… sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Hey goons, this doesn't make Taking Charge worse as you will always want to generate orbs in any PVE build so you will always use the new helmet mod. It also doesn't make CWL noticeably worse or Wells better because again - you will always use the helmet mod. It does make masterworking non-adept weapons really poor underwhelming, but you'll still do it for the weapons you use a lot because it's still really cheap so why not.

The change does exactly three meaningful things:
1. It will be pretty annoying when you have to swap out the mod in your helmet every time you swap primary weapons, and really loving annoying and restrictive if they also make the helmet mod require the appropriate elemental affinity (not to mention being a direct nerf to exotic helmets).
2. We will all have one mod slot less and 1 (?) energy less in our helmets.
3. Trying out new weapon drops will be a lot more satisfying because you aren't losing a key engine component.

I feel like they could have found a better way to achieve the third bit.

EDIT: Also they've said this is just a small part of a bunch of larger changes so I'm going to hold off on the meltdown.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 13, 2022