Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It was the best of games, it was the worst of games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

haven't played in forever, just shard all my purple armor and most weapons?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This expansion was made from top to bottom with "Dude who played D1 or maybe D2 briefly but then quit" in mind. Any chance you're newly returned to the franchise?

last time i played much was season of drifter, bought shadowkeep and quit after three days because it was lame, then blind bought the new expansion to play with a friend who wanted to get into it and it's been fun; checks out

it helps i think that i had basically no expectations of major positive systems or corporate direction changes and no attachment to the hundreds of old legendaries on my account

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

A game like this needs churn with gear, and doing so by sunsetting old gear allows you to create new things without necessitating a constant state of power creep.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

They did it in a very bad way and sunset way too much / didn't add enough / didnt build a game that works well / is fun for players with a smaller loot pool.

yea this seems like entirely predictable bungo bullshit

the trick is to have no expectations in the first place beyond pretty places to shoot space mans while blazed af

for real tho why the gently caress we still have to go to the god drat tower to pick up bounties

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

sunsetting being a poorly thought out and poorly executed shitshow is just bungie business as usual and within expectations, the real crime they've committed with beyond light is ghost spending a mission trying to do impressions of drifter

the player's guardian in destiny is a tragic figure, a poor fool plucked from the peace of death to be made an immortal pawn cursed to fight and die in an endless cycle, eternally haunted by the ghost of jar jar binks

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The single biggest thing I wanted from Destiny 3 was a new ghost with an actual personality beyond 'peevish idiot nerd'

Ghost is extremely bad and grating, his writing and direction feel insulting, and unlike the main campaigns which can be excused for having been written to appeal to the lowest common denominator among players your ghost is always there

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

aejix posted:

So when I swap out my current 1209 void sword for a 1202 arc grenade launcher (or whatever) for bounty purposes, the light level on my character paperdoll screen drops. How have people come up with the idea that you can just shove some lovely blue with a higher LL in your vault and it gets used in calculating your drops? I want that to be the case for sure, but seeing number go down when I swap gear off seems to be telling me the opposite? I'm not too keen on wasting pinnacle/powerful weeklies just to test it when the light level grind is probably my least favourite part of this game

The number on the character sheet in game is your character's current power level against content, for drops the game calculates the drop level based on your character's highest possible equipped light level across all items on all characters and in your stash.

It's why when you make an alt they'll get much higher level drops and level up much faster than your first even if you don't give them anything, because the high level guns in your stash are increasing the alt's maximum potential equipped light level.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

tbh they should just have the good writers on staff write destiny novels, they'd probably sell gangbusters

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

Kinda been wanting to get back into this lately, is the expansion worth the coin for a primarily PvE person?

As someone who had previously burned out on Destiny and Bungie's seemingly infinite capacity for bad decisions, forever quitting Shadowkeep after a few days, and only bought--or even looked at--Beyond Light because a friend was specifically wanting to pick it up and try Destiny again, I've enjoyed it.

Beyond Light doesn't fix any of the game's myriad problems, and in botching sunsetting and adding new class builds that do heavy CC in PvP Bungie has created new problems. As well of course once you run out of the campaign and mission content it's back to grinding bounties and poo poo, as Destiny ever was, but within the very narrow context of Destiny 2 expansions, it's good.

Forsaken was bigger so far, but Beyond Light is prettier and Europa is the best destination yet imo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sample_text posted:

Game bad.

Play Borderlands 3 instead.

The reason people have been perpetually angry about Destiny for half a decade is that beneath all the stupid bullshit it is at its core one of the best feeling games on the market to play.

Borderlands is a piece of poo poo game on every level, all you've accomplished is telling on yourself for having no standards or ability to discern quality.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The Fallen are the actual heroes of Destiny

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

probably the best thing that could happen to Destiny at this point is Bungie being purchased again by Microsoft and having all the senior leadership staff purged while retaining the actual talent

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Guess it's time to level a Titan up, what are their good sub specs these days?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

Should I mainline the new story quest? I dipped my toes in on a strike (want that trinity ghoul catalyst) and wow I felt super squishy, drat.

Yea unless you want to spread it out for some reason, it'll get you the new stasis spec and eventually lead you into strikes anyway

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

life_source posted:

YO WHAT

Do you have a source for this?

Will I finally be able to kiss Rasputin?! :dance:

yea, there's a short clip that shows him in the tower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUCm_NFpN1w

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VodeAndreas posted:

Bottom solar with sunspots is great for everything.
Bottom arc is solid with some self buffing punch man.
Top void for bubble.

All 3 mid trees are fun but not ~optimal~ for most things.

All 3 of the shoulder charge specs aren't in a great spot right now.

Stasis is fun once you get it but takes some getting used to.

wicked thanks

i guess i should ask the same of hunters since i've never paid them that much mind either

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

if you like gnawing hunger, and i also like gnawing hunger, get yourself a huckleberry

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sekenr posted:

Heh, I have huckleberry. Its a silly gun that I never use, nobody will even try comparing ntte and gnwhgr?

:wtc:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

For any newer players, the Wardcliff Coil being sold by Xur owns and is exactly the kind of special that an exotic needs to be to justify the opportunity cost of the slot.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

But my hot take is Bungie has some mandate that warlocks aren't allowed to be annoying/op in pvp.

Silly Warlock, PVP is for Hunters!*

*pls bungie never remember top tree dawnblade exists

For getting crucible sniper kills, if you haven't already try the 3v3 modes, control is a nonstop shitshow on such small maps and is really not conducive to getting sniper kills.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

swords are great because whether you kill your target or get blasted into a wall and killed it’s over very fast

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/50040

The following weapon archetypes will have their mouse and keyboard Recoil adjusted closer to controller (reduced the difference from ~40% to ~20%).
Auto Rifle
Scout Rifle
Pulse Rifle
Submachine Gun
Hand Cannon
Machine Gun

The stated goal is to ensure that KBaM users still need to value the Stability stat

The Traitor Luke Cormorant

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Destiny 2 PC: Just a whole lot of bad decisions across the board here.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

just contract the books out to general butts, ezpz

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

why would there be only one traveler in all the universe, only one set of pyramids, if they are the manifestations of infinite forces which have existed since before the creation of the universe this is a drama which should be playing out across the cosmos in every galaxy, sol being not unique but rather just a part of an infinite pattern

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

J.A.B.C. posted:

And we still have two more expansions to go.

three, evidently Destiny 3 is farther out than originally planned so they announced another as-yet unnamed final expansion recently

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

You can solo the entirety of Xenophage as well

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

No reason to make a new account, play your old one with your old exotics. All the gear they sunset is still sunset, the change is that any existing gear that has the current max power level will be good in the future in addition to all future gear. That swathe of dead gear they previously sunset ain't coming back.

I have a habit of picking up Destiny in short bursts before getting bored at the lack of content and moving on again, and the current season is much better than last season, with the qualification that that's a statement made in the context of Destiny 2 content, if you don't like what the game offers the new season won't change your mind.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Just remove trials from the game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Bushmaori posted:

Subtle Calamity, and a bunch of other stuff that indeed has white triangles. Also I don't like crucible, gambit, and patrols, I pretty much just run strikes and story stuff with my friends.

Biting Winds is a new Beyond Light bow of the same archetype, you should be able to find one you like and masterworking a weapon puts a kill tracker on it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the greatest and most noticeable change from the transition away from battle.net to steam was the upgrade in user names

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

warlocks are fuckin lazy

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It's wild how bipolar this game is, depending on context it's reasonable to call Destiny 2 both one of the best games on the market and an atrocious piece of poo poo GAAS joke that makes WoW look respectful to the player

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

you do 16 bounties
and what do you get?
another day older
and one step of a quest

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i don't get the impression that there is any competence at all within leadership at bungie and that their success rides on the hundreds of productive workers who create the actual content

they have no clear vision or direction and consistently shoot themselves in the foot with shitbrained ideas

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sekenr posted:

Wow, Hunters seem to be dead set upon taking the coveted "dumbest class in the game" trophy from titans

quote:

Prak'kesh sat on his Gray Hornet, parked in his usual spot at the base of the Tower. The former Guardian was holding a kimchi burrito purchased from a food cart with one hand while scrolling through Crucible results with the other. Guardian Games always brought an influx of bettors, and he needed to know which fireteams had the hot hands. It was shaping up as a banner year for gambling.

The bookie's hulking bodyguard, Tulnik, was leaning against the Tower, looking at Cabal pinups. The ex-Corsair clicked his tongue in warning. Prak'kesh's attention shifted from the burrito to a trio of enormous Titans lumbering toward them. A glob of kimchi plopped onto his fur vest.

The fireteam leader, a Sunbreaker, loomed over the bookie. "You, uh… you got something on your hair-shirt."

Prak'kesh tossed the remainder of the burrito over his shoulder, splattering the side of the Tower. "Yup. That's… alpaca." He crossed his arms over the stain. "What can I do for you?"

The Sentinel stepped forward. "We wanna bet on the Hunters to win the Games."

Prak'kesh's eyebrows shot up. "Really? Do I smell a fix coming in? This is huge." He leaned forward conspiratorially. "Zavala's not in on it… is he?"

The Titans glanced at each other in confusion. The Striker spoke up, "No. We want to bet on the Hunters."

The bookie frowned. "Yeah. You're betting on the Hunters because you're going to throw the matches." Their blank, helmeted stares prompted him to clarify, "I mean, your plan is to lose on purpose… right?"

The Sunbreaker looked taken aback. "Titans never lose to Hunters."

"Yeah, we're much better at fighting," the Sentinel affirmed. "Hunters are always jumping around with their little knives, or hiding in smoke." He waved his arms around frantically. "But I just put up my wall, and then Tanishe punches them. Like, really hard."

"It's true," the Striker proclaimed earnestly. "I can punch super hard."

"So, your plan is to win," Prak'kesh clarified. The trio nodded emphatically. "Then why," the bookie asked slowly, "are you betting on the Hunters?"

The Sentinel scoffed. "Element of surprise, my man. They'll never see it coming." He and the Sunbreaker fist-bumped.

"But all bets are confidential," Prak'kesh explained.

"We wouldn't be here if we weren't confident," the Sunbreaker bragged.

Prak'kesh pinched the bridge of his nose. He was developing a headache. "I mean, all bets are secret. Nobody will know what you wagered."

"Obviously," the Sunbreaker condescended. "Wouldn't be a surprise if everybody knew."

The Sentinel tapped his massive finger to his temple. "See? Warlocks aren't the only ones who come up with clever centrifuges."

Prak'kesh threw his hands up in capitulation. "Fine, I'll take your bet." He pulled out his datapad. "But I want to be really clear: if the Titans win the Guardian Games, you're never gonna see this Glimmer again."

"There's more to life than Glimmer," said the Sunbreaker. "I can't wait to see the look on their stupid faces when they find out."

The bookie shrugged. "Then it's a deal. Good luck in the Games… I think."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mango Polo posted:

Every class is suffering from severe brain damage in these GG lore pieces. Don't think too hard about it, it's funny.

it's fantastic, all three are fun takes on community stereotypes

i mean,

quote:

Prak'kesh sat on his Gray Hornet, parked in his usual spot at the base of the Tower. The former Guardian was watching bootleg transmissions of the latest Cabal death matches when one of his runners tugged on his sleeve.

Prak'kesh jumped in surprise. "Son-of-a-dreg! Don't sneak up like that!" He smoothed his fur vest in self-placation.

"Sorry, sir." The kid scuffed his feet sheepishly. "Just that some guys wanna make a bet."

Prak'kesh sucked his teeth in annoyance. "So take the bet! What the hell you hassling me for?"

The kid ran his grubby fingers along the sharp black lines of the bookie's ride. "They won't gimme the chip. They say they gotta talk to you direct."

Prak'kesh swatted the runner's hand away. "I just had that detailed." He sighed in exasperation. "Fine. Send 'em over. But if they end up making some lame prop on the new Hunter Vanguard or something, I'm gonna run you over with this thing."

The kid nodded and scampered off.

A few minutes later, a fireteam of three Hunters sauntered over. Prak'kesh slouched further onto his Sparrow in a dramatic display of nonchalance. His ex-Corsair enforcer, Tulnik, cracked his knuckles.

The Hunters posed coolly in front of the bookie. The team leader, a Gunslinger, casually flicked a knife between his fingers. "I guess you've probably heard of us."

Prak'kesh glanced at Tulnik, who shook his head. "Uh, not really," the bookie said. "Now what's this about?"

The Arcstrider stepped forward menacingly. "Show respect! You're talking to the Death Dealers."

Prak'kesh raised an eyebrow. "Cool name. I once had a cat called 'Death Dealer.'" Behind him, he heard Tulnik guffaw.

The Arcstrider snarled and sent a crackle of Arc energy rippling through his arm. But before he could strike, the Nightstalker blinked in front of him and put her hand on his chest. "Whoa. Cool it, Gene. He's not worth it. Remember your breathing exercises."

The Arcstrider nodded. "You're right, you're right. He's not worth it." He retreated, put his hands on his head, and walked in circles around the plaza, exhaling loudly.

Prak'kesh cleared his throat cautiously. "So, you wanna make a bet, or…?"

"You're drat right we do," the Gunslinger replied. "We're betting on Hunters to win the Guardian Games."

"Hunters rule!" shouted Gene from across the plaza.

"Is that all?" Prak'kesh asked with confusion. "That's stock standard. Why didn't you just put in a chip like everyone else?"

The Nightstalker leaned in conspiratorially. "Because of what we're wagering," she said and opened her pack to reveal a single, curling horn.

Prak'kesh's eyes went wide. "Is that whose I think it is?"

The Gunslinger crossed his arms smugly. "You tell us."

"How did you even get this?"

"Never question the Death Dealers. Now, what's it worth to you?" the Gunslinger said.

Prak'kesh shrugged. "Hunters win gold, you get one legendary Hand Cannon each. If not, I get…" he dropped his voice to a whisper, "the horn."

"Throw in a couple Umbral Engrams," the Nightstalker countered, "and you got a deal."

Prak'kesh pretended to consider. "It's a deal," he finally said and recorded the transaction in his datapad. "Good luck in the Guardian Games, Hunters."

"Hunters rule!" shouted Gene, to nobody in particular.

quote:

Prak'kesh sat on his Gray Hornet, parked in his usual spot at the base of the Tower. The former Guardian read dispatches from Spider's Associates with one eye and watched his runners scurry about with the other.

The younger kids took bets from all over the City and delivered them to Prak'kesh at appointed intervals. Once the action paid off, the bookie would send the older kids to settle up. Any incalcitrant debtors were dealt with by Tulnik, his enormous ex-Corsair bodyguard, who was currently leaning against the Tower, scratching himself.

Prak'kesh chirped a low call to Tulnik, who snapped to attention. A fireteam was gliding toward them from across the courtyard. The Guardians' cloaks billowed in a non-existent wind, and their feet barely touched the paving stones. Prak'kesh rolled his eyes. Warlocks.

Prak'kesh called out, "Looking sharp. I love the… bird… hat."

"This is Felwinter's Helm, jackass," the Voidwalker fired back. "Prolly costs more than your Sparrow."

"Good," Prak'kesh retorted, "then you've got the cash to pay your debts. Val Guscu wasn't quite the mad dog you thought she was."

The Warlocks glanced at each other surreptitiously. "About that," said the Sunsinger, "we don't have the Motes… yet."

Tulnik, sensing his moment, stepped forward with a menacing flex. Prak'kesh stayed his enforcer with a manicured hand. "Steady, Tully. These are learned scholars. I'm sure they have a needlessly complex plan to make things right."

"We do," said the Stormcaller through gritted teeth. "Double or nothing on the Guardian Games Crucible this week."

Prak'kesh gave a low whistle. "That's some heavy action. Who you backing?"

"Us," the Sunsinger responded. "Against Meliorea's Titans."

Prak'kesh's eyebrows shot up. "Meliorea's at the top of the leaderboards. She's dangerous. And you guys are… stylish. It's a bad bet. Unless," the bookie tapped the side of his nose, "you know something I don't."

The Voidwalker tossed her head, as if flicking her hair. Then, realizing she was still wearing her helmet, awkwardly put her hands on her hips. "Let's just say she's about to have a bad case of existential dread the night before the match."

The Warlocks snickered. "Little trick I picked up from the Psions," the Voidwalker finished.

"Titans put all their armor on their chests," the Sunsinger opined, "and none between their ears. Like a castle with no roof."

The Voidwalker guffawed. "Is that why they always look like they're getting rained on?"

The Stormcaller dropped his voice an octave, puffed out his chest, and lumbered around on bowed legs. "When the only tool you have is a Titan, every hammer is a nail!"

"Indeed!" the Warlocks chortled and high fived.

"It's settled, then!" Prak'kesh pulled out his datapad. "You guys beat Meliorea this week, and the slate's clean. Otherwise, I get the Motes," he said and winked at the Voidwalker, "and that fancy hat."

The Voidwalker was suddenly serious. "Guys. No. Come on," she implored her teammates. "You know how many engrams I had to—"

"Deal," the Sunsinger interrupted. He removed his gauntlet and pressed his finger to the datapad.

"Deal!" Prak'kesh smiled broadly. "Good luck in the Guardian Games. Not that you'll need it."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

tbh i think most people just main the jump they like best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sure, rhythmic physical expressions won’t win a fight, but they feel good, and feeling good is better than not