Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Roman posted:

vex invasions were fun

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Personally I thought vex offensive and sundial were both terrible, but at least sundial had meaningful rewards (toward the end of the season).

I don't know if people are talking about different things regarding Vex Offensive but the actual "activity" was okay-ish but the world events on the Moon with the portals opening up and loads of Vex and bosses pouring out were awesome and I wish they never went away. They should have had that on every single planet, like they did with Taken invasions in The Taken King in D1.

I wish they were still in the game, just on every patrol zone you can randomly have a portal open with all those Vex to shoot appearing. It was fun and from a story/lore perspective they didn't need to take them away. Anything to make patrol spaces more fun/dynamic is a good thing and those were enjoyable and simple. No silly mechanics to engage with, just a lot of enemies to blow up. That's the kind of thing that there should be more of. Remember how we all liked the "Enemy is moving against each other" in the Cosmodrome in D1 and wanted more of that kind of thing? I don't know if it's in D2 because I haven't played the expansion yet but crazy stuff randomly happening in patrol spaces is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well, past expansions have also had lots of new loot & activities rather than a barren planet

Wait so we lost all that content and Europa isn't even interesting?!?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Strongest praise I can offer is that it sure looks like there's tons of space to add more content to it! Heaps and heaps of empty space, ready for activities to be added

I wonder how long it will take them to manage, if ever, to have as much content as D2 had before BL launched.

Also none of it even makes sense from a story perspective either because if all the vaulted planets are lost to the darkness why we still going to them for Crucible games and Gambit matches?! And why remove Crucible/Gambit maps from locations still around? Sunsetting is terrible but I didn't think something worse would follow and then they announced the content vault :stare:

Speaking of, isn't Vault of Glass supposed to return? If Venus and everything there doesn't return with it then :bang:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sample_text posted:

"this expansion is a content sparse ripoff and this corporation just pulled the rug from under you by gutting roughly one third of the game, also they put expiration dates on your guns"

This is probably why Bungie made people accept new T&Cs preventing a class action lawsuit if they wanted to keep playing the game a while back. Mercury & Mars were paid expansions that have just been removed for no good reason and they probably expected people being fed up that they keep paying for stuff in this game only for it to be taken away from them wanting to do something about it.

It's frustrating seeing all the potential for such an amazing game be squandered constantly by the worst decisions.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I remember when Bungie was screaming that Destiny was not an MMO until blue in the face to practically every news site that would listen and publish what they had to say.

Of course, at the time Luke Smith had no position of power in the company.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tei posted:

Destiny has always been divided between "I want new guns" and "I like this gun a lot - please let me use it forever"

I still miss the Fatebringer - theres a gigant hole on my life with Fatebringer shape - Destiny 2 would be a poo poo sandwich without Telesto

Fusion rifles and scout rifles functionally don't exist on Destiny 2 - at not point in the changes of balances between weapons these two weapons have been free to be themselves - I can't put into words how I miss a good Vision of Confluence

Now somebody can come here and give me these weapons - and would not even feel the same - all the changes in the sandbox may have made these weapons "moot point"---

The divide shows here again - missing the Fatebringer for gaining other weapons of inferior quality would be a win for the "I like change for change sake" team - but is a lost to people like me

Regarding fusions I remember Erentil having quite a solid streak in D2 crucible for a while.

I still miss Plan C, Pocket Infinity and Mythoclast. I assume the latter will come back with Vault of Glass.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That stasis gun looks pretty fun for PvE too.

https://twitter.com/Gigz/status/1328663639486730240

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

xzzy posted:

The cosmodrome was totally fine as patrol zones go, other than the not being able to sparrow between all the areas.

The problem with it, like all patrol areas, is there's no reason to go and spend time there. In D1 we were forced in to it because we needed destination materials.

I don't know how you change that without making everything grindy as gently caress, but in a game where your primary interaction with the world is shooting it I'm sure Bungie could come up with something that involves guns and loot.

In D1 there was the Taken invasions and huge bosses roaming around. In D2 we got Vex Moon invasions for one season. That kind of content is perfect for patrol zones and they need to add it everywhere so there's always these random invasion events by different races where there's nothing more complex than just shooting a load of enemies.

Vex invasions should come back and be added everywhere because they were just fun and the portals looked awesome. Do the same for other races and just have each patrol zone randomize which race is invading a particular area when the event kicks off. Maybe a portal appears in the sky and Vex flood out, maybe a load of Hive ships appear, or Cabal ships, or Taken blobs popping up all around. Just make sure there's no stupid mechanics or balls that need picking up and throwing, keep the difficulty focused on gunplay/movement/powers. Then patrol spaces would be fun to do stuff in because at any moment you could suddenly be playing Serious Sam.

RBX posted:

You guys support sunsetting bit somehow a whole new game with a not lovely engine full of bugs and new armor and weapons and enemies is worse than the same mess with the same reskinned enemies and useless loot?

Our stuff wouldn't be "deleted" it's a new game. I dont understand what's so hard about that. Activision saw they can't reskin poo poo forever on this garbage engine and tried to make them actually make new stuff.

D1 to D2 was supposed to be the "new engine" but there wasn't one, it just got some slight upgrades. D3 would not bring a new engine either. Bungie will never make a new engine, they'll just keep upgrading the same one that they've been using forever.

And I don't think many people support sunsetting? It's a terrible idea as is the content vault.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

goblin week posted:

I checked the lore and it’s actually the fifth Taniks to die, sixth if you count the nightmare :psyduck: Bungie!!

Anyway congrats to that one guy I’ve never heard of who won, big rip to Slayerage who was on Taniks back when Datto was still on Atraks but got hosed over by special ammo drops, bigger rip to Aztecross who somehow had it in him to fight Atraks for six hours

I only caught the end of Gladd's stream and got a glimpse of some of the final boss fight but it was awesome seeing a boss that moves around and does stuff and is a traditional-style boss.

Bungie doesn't do it often but when they do it's awesome e.g. the Cabal brothers in that Taken King strike and the Siva-infected Iron Lords in the Rise of Iron story mission.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Well let's see you come up with a better plan :colbert:

There was a strike in the Cosmodrome (absent from the D2 version - probably because it involved protecting Rasputin) where after the mission the ghost would query if it would be more efficient with a larger chassis which amusingly weirded Zavala out. It was after killing one of those giant Fallen shanks.

Best Zavala weird-out moment was Eris going nuts in the opening mission for The Taken King, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Orv posted:

The only thing I really miss from the Osiris strike with the big jump that someone always failed and went flying into the abyss.

That Mercury strike where you fight Cabal in the infinite forest really had me thinking that SRL was coming back with that lengthy sparrow section that seemed ideal for racing down. I never played the Prophecy dungeon but doesn't that have a cool sparrow section as well? That combined with the sparrow section racing away from the servitor in that raid I forget the name of has me thinking Bungie knows players enjoy that stuff but don't want to properly commit to it for whatever reason.

super sweet best pal posted:

Forced to stop using Hammerhead because it was sunset
Get Commemoration from the raid. Pretty much the same gun, even has the same mag size

I'm sorry, what was the logic behind sunsetting beyond pointless busywork?

Player enjoyment is secondary to engagement metrics.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Is it worth getting those old legendaries from the new kiosk (Recluse & Luna's etc.) for PvP or were they nerfed into oblivion? Mountaintop always seemed cool and last time I played I remember one guy was going wild with Recluse. I've also heard something about 140 hand cannons? I don't remember if it was good or bad but I haven't played since finishing the last season and just picked the game up again and started with the BL campaign. Got a while before all the stuff I need to do is checked off (campaign, stasis on every character, exotic quests) but after that I'll be aiming to just play PvP casually where sunsetting thankfully isn't an issue.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

dragonshardz posted:

Bungie will never give you a space AA-12 or Saiga because they'd be too fun, and shotguns in video games are almost always given abysmally short range because game devs don't know how guns work.

I'm still bummed Tommy's Matchbook wasn't a dual-wield exotic :(

Doctor Nutt posted:

cru with realistic shotgun ranges BUT also the maps are now realistic sizes to accomodate all the other weapon types in the game, including sniper rifles. there will be no shotgun apes when you can dome them from a literal mile away.

Discospawn posted:

Each Crucible match now takes place on an entire planet, still 6v6.

No need. If they managed to design maps for Halo that accomplished this, why can't they for Destiny? Scout rifles might actually be useful for a change if they designed maps to cater to all weapon styles rather than these cramped three-lane COD knock-offs. There's Halo maps with long sight lines for the BR/DMR and shotguns can still wreck people in the smaller sections of maps because they weren't boring three lane COD maps and instead designed with care and attention for the arsenal in the game. A sniper rifle was as viable as a DMR (scout rifle) and shotgun and gravity hammer (sword) and maps accommodated each play style well. Still some duds but in general they actually got it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the Battlefield games (I want to say Bad Company 2 but I honestly can't remember) had a magazine-fed slug shotgun build that was actually 'realistic' wrt range and whatnot and it broke the entire game if you were even halfway decent at aiming. It was infuriating to play against, and absolutely loving hilarious to use. I have a hard time imagining something like that not destroying this game's pvp.

I remember that. I was visiting a friend and watched him finish a Bad Company 2 match on that desert map (start in flat terrain with tanks etc. and have to take small town, then move on to an area with warehouses and containers I think, but there's a bridge that goes over and across as well?) and he showed me his shotgun build and he was killing people from insane ranges and it was hilarious to watch because he was really good at the game and just being a huge pain in the rear end for the enemy team - particularly their snipers who were solely focused on him while his team just constantly pressed forward and took points.

I remember trying it myself when I had the chance and I sucked at it but yeah, Bad Company 2 was amazing. There were so many good maps and unlike every BF game since that has a lot of buildings that can't be destroyed, it was so fun having literally everything be destructible in BC2 and the environment changing so dramatically as matches progressed, it meant that no game was ever the same at all and the variety was awesome (I particularly liked the jungle maps and that one small daytime snow map).

I think latter BF games downgraded destruction too much and also went too crazy with scale and huge levels to fight on, which meant a lot of boring running to the action with constant sniper bullets pinging nearby whereas Bad Company 2 levels were just the right size to keep action focused, infantry engaged, vehicles still had room to move and it worked well having to fight for one point and then it opened the next section of the map, then the same again and again etc. which was really great design. I would pay silly money for a Bad Company 2 remaster that revitalized the player base. That's the kind of game that would last an entire console generation.

Kinda tempted to pick it up on PC but it's been a long time since playing FPS with kb&m so I'd get slaughtered. I think it's backwards compatible on Xbox One so I'll see if anyone still plays it on there. Thanks for the nostalgia :D

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kith posted:

Expansion content should not be sunset, period. I don't care if I have to get new ones with each season, none of those guns were problematic.

The game feels so bare and barren right now, and I'm missing so much of the content that was taken away. The whole sunsetting and vaulting thing was a terrible idea, imo. People should still be able to wear/use launch gear if they want to and carry it as long as they want. It's a video game, just let people have fun and the excuse they put forward was weak because we know they can balance guns/gear extremely fast if they allows players to bypass any grind in the game because they would patch/pull that stuff instantly before.

When they added infusion in D1's HoW expansion (I think it was then? They also let players re-roll guns as much as they wanted lol. Those additions both resulted in by far the biggest positive response they've ever had from the community) I thought it was fun that I could carry my original Iron Banner armor forward for as long as I wanted. I think I was still using a couple things from Crota's End as the game was winding down as well even though it wasn't meta but just because it was stuff I liked (the shotgun sucked but the look and sound made it really satisfying to use, it was very Doom-like) and it was great.

I really wish they'd have kept the old campaigns and had a daily heroic story mission like they did in D1, it was fun when taking a break from PvP to chill in the Vanguard playlist doing that and strikes as well.

The days before Luke Smith was in charge... :unsmith:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem is that people were finding one good gun and holding on to it forever, and it wasn't an issue of making the guns imbalanced, it was an issue of making Bungie look bad.

Like if they bring out a spread of new weapons for the new season, but nobody uses them because Spreadsheet420 on reddit says Nanty Narker has better DPS (or because Gnawing Hunger is still there), then their new 'content' is going to be ignored and people are going to complain that the game is 'stale' and leave.

The thing is this wasn't really true though, was it? Everyone was always excited for the new weapons and new perks that they brought. People still liked to bring out old favorites but this story that Bungie pushed of nobody engaging with new gear was complete nonsense. All the "influencers" would go crazy analyzing the new weapons and perks for what was great and it was nice being able to pull out old favorites but also think "Wow, some of these Saint-themed weapons are awesome and look amazing, I've got some new favorites and have so many toys to play with!" and it was great. Bungie just spun that story to justify their decision and people believed it, but it's not true. Check the thread here, other places, YouTube, Twitch etc. and everyone is always hyped as heck for new weapons and checking them out. There was nothing wrong with people also getting to hold onto old favorites as well if they wanted - having so much variety in the game pre-BL was amazing and in PvP you'd just have occasional moments of "Wow, haven't seen that in a long time" and it was cool. This is the type of game that should continually get bigger and bigger, not shrink.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Content Vaulting destinations like Mars and Mercury until they do more interesting stuff with them is fine, the disk space saved is worth it alone.

I already miss Mars and Mercury :negative:

Actually serious as well, they were good spaces with cool activities and looked stunning (Mercury and Titan in particular) and what I've seen of Europa so far is pretty disappointing and probably has the weakest visuals of any location in the franchise. I'm hoping there's some nice environments as I progress but first impressions have been off-putting.

Also it's weird as hell that the game says the planets disappeared yet hop into PvP and there they are. You can tell there really was not much thought put into what they were doing at all in regards to the game aside from "Come up with any excuse for there being less of a chance people find ways to reduce the grind by some weird weapon/gear being broken".

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

el B posted:

Have you guys been to Europa yet?

I'm just finally getting round to starting the BL campaign and first impressions are that it's the ugliest and most boring planet in both D1 and D2. I'm hoping as I progress through the story and explore more of the planet I find some cool spaces or... something/anything? It makes a really bad first impression, though. I do like that new Fallen walker/mech enemy that I stumbled upon before a snowstorm came in and hid how boring, bland and rushed everything looks. Did they copy & paste buildings from Venus and just add icicles? They don't look so good without all the foliage and awesome scenery that Venus had.

Also how did they release a yearly expansion without a single new PvP map?! We don't even have as many was we did before BL launched. Nobody cares about file size when COD is what, 200GB+ and one of the most popular games still?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

McLarenF1 posted:

While many of y'all points may be valid, can I just point out that at the end of the day, Bungie is a business, and they're decisions are guided by what's going to make them the most money, which for the most part is making the game appealing to the widest audience. So while the hardcore player base may like all the destinations, for long time casual and new players it may have been more confusing or intimidating. As a business, it probably made more sense to trim the game down for the general player base and do other incentives for the hardcore player base.

I say this not because I agree with the philosophy, but because I've seen the same thing play out as an analyst at a big tech company, which Bungie (read: Microsoft) is at the end of the day.

It's definitely business/engagement guided but I do not think the changes are to help casual or new players at all.

We've all seen the multitude of splash screens that we're greeted to with info when we log in (after my break I had about 6 or 7 to go through before actually being able to go anywhere or do anything), be it about events or such and within the game they could have easily structured this so that new accounts were guided to the Red War and onward, rather than relegating it to a character in an area of the tower that was rarely visited prior to Saint's arrival.

They just botched the execution and I suspect it was likely deliberate because they were already planning ahead but as always, there's the potential for an incredible game because it has (and had) all the right ingredients but the decision makers keep holding it back. The game was not too big for new or casual players (I'm the latter) it was just structured incredibly poorly with small things that could have been handled in a better way because we know they're capable of it by using the same system for other things.

It's sad just how much great content has been lost, and that's not just big things but smaller things as well. I forget the name of the season but the one with the sundial where we saved Saint 14? Those two story missions were great and could have been merged into a strike that remained in the game and was replayable (weirdly enough it actually felt like a scaled-back and chopped-up strike to play as well). The other sundial activity (the arenas where you fight Cabal) would have made a great strike also, as would the similar activity from Vex offensive before it. When I made my other two characters and ran through the campaigns again as well I was surprised by just how good they were, I think they're lunatics for just throwing all of that in the bin.

With sunsetting/vaulting it really feels like Bungie is flailing around and doesn't actually know what they're doing any more, so they're just scrapping huge chunks of the game to try and figure it out whereas before they actually had a vision and it worked because everything was built around the core pillars that they designed for the game. Right now it seems like there are no core pillars and they don't really know what they're actually doing aside from trying to keep engagement up and keeping people grinding (which seems pointless if everything is going to keep getting scrapped). The game design decisions come across as confused and contradictory and as a player it feels odd to be grinding for loot in a loot-based game that's going to take it all away. They might as well have "You're wasting your time" as a permanent part of the UI right now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

McLarenF1 posted:

From my impression for casual players it's clearly Strikes, Gambit, and Crucible; that's why they are front and center on the destination screen. For hardcore players, I thought it's Pinnacle rewards activities. Unless I'm missing something.

GoGo basically said the same but yeah, they were in D1 (except Gambit) and were well supported with every yearly and smaller expansion bringing new strikes and crucible maps but like GoGo pointed out, Bungie has been removing chunks of content from these modes rather than leaving them the same or actually adding more. It makes no sense because like you said, they're front and center of the destination screen.

I know it's cliche at this point but that's also why the talk of finally making a proper horde mode makes so much sense, because they've wasted so many resources making weird variations of it on different planets when it should be right there as one of the selectable modes on the destination screen alongside strikes/gambit/crucible. It would even take considerably less development work and time since they would be using the crucible maps for it but they just waste so many resources it's crazy. They even have the in-game lore justification with Shaxx's Redjacks who clear out areas to use as crucible arenas to just have a fourth icon called Redjacks or something and have it dump you on a random crucible map with two other players and go nuts with enemies and bosses. They could actually focus on mixing things up as well and have waves with different enemy factions working together.

I actually thought this would be coming as well given the introduction of abilities like Titan barricades and Warlock wells that seemed ideal for setting up defensive areas but instead they've gone out of their way to make weird variations of it rather than just delivering the real thing which would be so much easier and a lot more fun.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

imagine playing WoW and not finding the joy in soloing/blowing up old raids/content thanks to your sick cool gear.

This would help the power fantasy a lot if your light level truly did make you significantly more powerful when tackling older content. Perhaps handle it in a limited way where your gear (guns and armor) isn't really affected and so enemies still take a lot of bullets to drop (as it is now) but your actual abilities and supers are much more powerful.

So for example, you could go back and redo a raid from year 1 and shooting enemies generally remains the same but you get the power fantasy from your light level increase meaning your grenades, melee abilities and supers are much stronger now so a grenade instantly obliterates enemies that it couldn't before, a charged melee attack is a one-shot on even very tough enemies and a super such as a nova bomb for example now does double/triple damage so when people have fought their way to a boss they can have that satisfaction of being much more powerful now with their light, whereas guns and armor are just the same as now. I think that would be an elegant solution and I don't see an issue with being able to blitz through content from 4 years ago - let players feel powerful and if they want challenge there's more recent raids where their light increase is less noticeable.

Pointless since the old stuff has all been removed but I think that would have worked well and would be a good distinction between gear and actual light level.

I'd be interested to see what the game was like if they actually removed light levels from gear and it did only affect your light (or dark) powers going forward. So the grind to upgrade your light level is just one thing, not your gear, and guns remain static power-wise so no need for infusion/sunsetting and all that matters is the stats/perks/archetype of each weapon, and the same for armor (making PvE similar to non-LL Crucible). It would remove a huge amount of grind from the game and allow a lot of player freedom however so Bungie would hate it but drat, light level only affecting light would be cool. Would probably save Bungie devs a lot of development time as well in theory but Luke Smith is Luke Smith so yeah.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That power creep is one of the excuses Bungie used for sunsetting, because they claimed they didn't want to have to keep making gear that's increasingly powerful. Take away the numbers and grind and it would solve a lot of problems, it seems? Then the focus really is on the actual light/dark power that the player has. Would be a good incentive to expand and deepen the skill trees more and more as well. More space magic in the space magic game!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

is it still 400 strikes/crucible/gambit matches because fuuuuuck that

I don't know how it is now but pre-BL the best thing to do was max out the season pass track for the XP bonus (used to be x2) and then do Gambit Prime matches which got you 2% a match due to the XP bonus.

I think Bungie has reduced the XP bonus now however (maybe the ghost mod can make up for it?) and I don't know if "new" Gambit will offer the same progress.

It sucks that there's a bunch of exotics that have catalysts like that, they should have had the requirements halved at least.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

a pale ghost posted:

What is the gameplay in this game like? Is it really similar to Halo? Do you have special abilities?

Destiny very much feels like a continuation of the direction that Bungie was heading with the Halo franchise, where they introduced abilities in Halo Reach.

Destiny has very similar feeling movement and gunplay (with some additions) and has taken those abilities and ramped up their importance by giving your characters space magic. Every character type (Warlock/Titan/Hunter) gets a super ability (be it firing a laser beam of death, creating fire tornadoes with a huge hammer or making a safety bubble) and melee abilities (ranging from throwing knives to launching fire projectiles) and jump abilities (triple jumps or what can be best described as a small teleport) and then class abilities (Warlocks create rifts that heal or boost damage, Titans can create barricades for cover and perks and Hunters can uh, dodge stuff).

PvP plays like Halo but with waaaaaaaay more guns, 6v6, no vehicles, worse maps, and even floatier but also much faster movement.

Singleplayer is... well they had some good singleplayer but they recently removed it from the game and there's been a huge reduction in content. It's probably one of the worst times to jump into the franchise right now because the awesome stuff has been removed so you'll be very confused as to what's actually going on. The game doesn't have a traditional singleplayer campaign like Halo, instead there's a lot of loading screens and a lot of grinding. There's also no firefight mode, if you happened to enjoy that.

Honestly the game's just in a really weird place right now but if you like Halo and the gameplay of Halo you will definitely appreciate Destiny and feel the familiarity and evolution, but also likely be thrown by said gameplay being wrapped up in a really bad package. This also applies to post-Bungie Halo which has influenced some Destiny design as well, such as Halo 5 adding the ability to mantle which Bungie copied for Destiny 2. The best way I could describe Destiny is massive potential held back by designers who played too much World of Warcraft and think that games should be work, not fun.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was shocked when they announced sunsetting legendary gear and in utter disbelief at the announcement of vaulting entire planets/strikes/maps/campaigns etc. and at this point it would not surprise me if they have been or are looking at exotics in a similar way. It's hard to not view everything in the game as a waste of time right now.

Is the core gameplay good? Yeah, but you don't get to enjoy it until after long grinds for content that will be taken from you anyways. I don't know what the general community consensus is right now but I really hope there's a huge pushback against everything that's been done and people are being vocal enough that Bungie might actually be considering a reversal of all of this.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Soon it will just be Earth with multiple zones as more and more content gets vaulted and we're left with 1 PvP map, a couple of Strikes and all Gambit content is removed despite the icon still being present on the director. Year 6 introduces the Eververse zone on plague island, formally the UK.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There’s zero chance of un-sunsetting guns because the Reddit meltdowns from people who already sharded their entire vaults would eclipse anything else

Can't have Reddit meltdowns if your game's dead because sunsetting and vaulting has driven everyone away :eng101:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

You're right, but my point was that the singleplayer they removed was good. I thought the Red War campaign was excellent, aside from that annoying walking section at the start that is. It was brilliantly structured with how it introduced you to each character and planet, and the perfect intro to the game as well as having some great levels, stunning visuals, and just outright moments of pure fun (going nuts in a tank).

Bungie completely botched the presentation of all of this content like you said however, hiding access to this and subsequent campaigns in a menu for a NPC nobody visits in a part of the tower that nobody visits (well, up until Trials, anyway).

My solution would have been simple and elegant. We've all seen the information splash screens when we log into D2. While we're in orbit, before we can do anything, we have to click through the latest news regarding current events and bonuses etc. and that is exactly the system that should have been used for new players. Just a simple check for if they're new and if so? Ss soon as they're in the game either bring up a splash screen about how to start the Red War campaign or, you know, actually just start it so the player isn't even stuck in orbit wondering what they're supposed to do. They could have done this but chose not to. Those info screens are perfect for guiding players through content. Finished the Red War campaign? Another info screen pops up guiding you to the first expansion, followed by another after completion of that.

If they can do this to tell us Drifter has extra infamy or something they can do it to tell new players "Welcome to the game! Here's where you get started!"

Pirate Jet posted:

I hate sun setting and vaulting as much as the next guy but extrapolating “game is dying” from that is a bit ridiculous, the game is still consistently in the top ten for active players on each console and in Steam’s year-end review it was in the top twelve for revenue generated. Destiny isn’t going away any time soon unless Bungie’s original IP turns out to be an even bigger smash hit.

Valid point but BL only launched in November, so any stats for 2020 won't be very much help, the real teller will be 2021 stats as people are now bored and there's much less content.

While there's always been "The game's dying/dead!" cries which would turn out to be wrong of course, this is the first time in franchise history that they have taken away so much content and made grinding for gear basically pointless. This is the first major change that will actually test the fanbase in my opinion and I think 2021 will be the year where we see either people actually dropping the game for real, or just sucking it up and running that treadmill because they're too invested.

Either ways, this is the first time that I think it's reasonable to say "I think Bungie's really messed up". I've been late coming back to the game after taking a small break after finishing the pre-BL season and my clan has shuttered and ditched the game. Drop in the ocean obviously, but I have a feeling that as the year progresses frustrations are going to snowball. We know Bungie can't deliver when it comes to seasonal content and the game has been stripped of so much that come the end of this year I suspect we'll see a lot of players have just abandoned the game in frustration. Maybe Bungie does something mid-year if they notice a trend however? Who knows.

This year will be the teller for what people will tolerate and if Bungie is actually successful and pulls it off? It's going to set a precedent for the industry that I don't think many people will like.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Worse, the vaulting means that five of the twelve strikes currently in rotation are from vaulted content - yes, the planets they're on are still accessable, but the campaigns aren't. Arms Dealer in particular references a few things from the Red War that no longer make sense - Holliday giving you a tank 'again,' Cayde is still alive, the Oroborous Vectura etc.

Yes there's a screen of text explaining that Saint 14 has been simulating crucible using Vex scrap, but it's a screen of text on a vendor hidden away in a corner of the tower most players won't bother visiting.

I had no idea about the Saint 14 simulating Crucible maps thing, god drat. As for everything else you posted I agree. It is also odd still hearing Cayde chatter when he's dead and I know it had to be him because nobody would have even noticed if Ikora died and Zavala would have been met with shrugs but it shows how little thought they've put into all of this, and despite trashing huge chunks of content it's more of a mess now than ever.

They've updated things before (e.g. replacing Dinklage with Nolan North as the ghost which would have been a lot more work, and replacing Nathan Fillion with Nolan North for Cayde) so they could have taken a moment to replace some lines in affected content so new players aren't wondering "Who's the comedy relief here?" only to be told he was killed off a few expansions ago but is still chatting away in parts of the game.

Deformed Church posted:

I understand sunsetting the content itself was an engine thing and they may have needed to do something about the proliferation of guns

There's nothing to understand, it was nonsense. Bungie aren't honest with the community. They did it before with the "It takes days to move a bush so we have to nuke your vaults and start with a new engine for D2!" when there were developer videos showing how quickly and easily a patrol space was created and there was no new engine, they just updated the old one and that's why it's been so easy to bring back old content. Think of it as like going from Unreal Engine 3 to Unreal Engine 4, it's the same engine, just improved. An example of a new engine would be transitioning from Unreal Engine to CryEngine or something. Then you really are starting over from scratch and have a lot to learn, but Bungie didn't do this.

We've also seen that their promise of "It'll be so much quicker and easier to make content now, it's gonna come out so much faster!" was a lie and it's slower than ever, especially after the loss of the support studios from the Activision split.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Waroduce posted:

they do seem to be catering to new players and trying to grow the user base instead of catering to the boys who've been here for years.

Gee, I wonder why :haw: There must be more throwing in the towel than I thought.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The only point at which any of it made sense was within the framework of Ikora's 'meditations' where you replayed (i.e. remembered) old missions, imagining real hard how you might do them differently with new guns and abilities or higher power levels.

This is why I feel like the strikes should have been framed more as 'this is an ongoing problem you need to deal with,' like instead of sending you to kill a particular boss, you get sent to make sure the Cabal haven't promoted a new Valus, and if they have, kill him.

I completely forgot about this, I wonder why they got rid of it?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Still miss the Vex Moon invasions. Whenever that portal opened in the sky and the screen flooded with enemies it was a real nice break from patrol for some pure fun just shooting loads of baddies and blowing stuff up. Wish it was still in the game and on every location as just a random encounter type of thing wherever you are, kinda like those huge Taken bosses appearing everywhere in D1 with the Taken King expansion. Actually they should bring that back too and really spice up Patrol zones, have enemy races constantly invading everywhere so there's more fun stuff to do. Shooting stuff is the best part of the game so they should lean into it with patrol zones. Those "The enemy are moving against each other" events should be more widespread as well. Patrol spaces could be spiced up so much if they just brought back and made use of things they've already implemented before.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

idiotsavant posted:

The wandering high-level Taken bosses + retinues on Titan and Io were cool and good and it’s lame that there’s really nothing in the game like that right now.

The ones in D1 were very different. The Taken bosses roaming around were huge and they had constant respawning allies so the area would turn into a warzone shortly after they spawned in, and anyone nearby would always join in with the fight because there was a time limit to kill them before they disappeared again and people wanted the rewards (I think it was also related to a quest of some kind but forget what).

Those Vex Moon invasions were very similar in that respect, with the huge bosses and then final boss if you managed to make it, and people would always stop to join in no matter what because it was just pure fun. No dumb mechanics or anything but the very core of what makes the game enjoyable - great gunplay and lots of enemies to shoot.

The ones on Titan (I didn't spend much time on Io so don't remember seeing any) were very different since they were just normal-sized enemies with a couple of bodyguards with those shield things and it wasn't the same at all, you could just catch them on your own and kill them in seconds. In D1 a whole area was literally a battleground and you'd have multiple people stopping by to help clear adds and distract the huge bosses while people tried to bring down their health bar as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was just getting into the game in D1 year 1 when Dark Below came out, and you would have those hive invasions in the cosmodrome where your reward was a crota sword and a bunch of thralls to mow down with it.

That was pretty fun.

It sucks that the Valkyrie is gone now. I wish they would add that and the Scorcher to PvP maps as power weapons.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kith posted:

Spider privately admits all the Guardian would've had to have done to get information on the Scorned Barons was ask because he's well aware of how easily the Guardian could kill him and genocide the entire Tangled Shore. On top of that, there are several points in the story where the Guardian reveals that they do not fear Spider on any level and/or threaten him.

The overall narrative is that the Guardian is just playing along with Spider for the sake of diplomacy and/or maintaining stability on the Tangled Shore. Whether or not Ghost knows that is up for debate.

This makes that cutscene from D1 where the player visits the reef and Uldren pulls a knife on them and is seemingly ready to go toe-to-toe with a guardian even funnier in retrospect.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

McLarenF1 posted:

That thread is dead. I'm actually on PlayStation too.

Same here. Console player but treat this as the main Destiny thread also since there's more activity.

Lexorin posted:

I'm terrible at PvP, but the number of super champs who murder me in seconds then blindly stand in witherhoard spooge or a pulse grenade and die is just amazing.

Since Bungie brings back a lot of exotics from D1, I wonder if they'll ever bring back Dragon's Breath? Originally it wasn't that great but with Taken King they reworked it to explode and spread fire everywhere (which presumably led to some of the things we have in D2) but that was a heavy weapon, not a special. It would be neat if they brought it back but to justify the heavy slot the area of effect with everything on fire was made much larger. I think it only had two rockets? Would be awesome having a heavy version of the area denial weapon type that just leaves everything on fire for a while.

Since we're due Vault of Glass soon as well I hope Mythoclast comes back.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Can't wait for The Architects to be introduced as a new enemy faction.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Speaking of exotic quests, is there a time limit on starting/completing the quests that came with BL (Lament, Hawkmoon etc.) or are they good for at least a year? Are there any that are tied to the season pass and if so, am I correct in understanding that seasons now last an entire year and therefore there's no rush?

Curious how that works actually because I think Bungie said season content stayed for a year now but presumably the season track will be replaced? Or will there be multiple tracks? I assume all the season content (hunts for the Crow or whatever it is?) will remain until November?

Wondering if there's less FOMO now and the game can be played more casually to make time for other games rather than needing to grind through all this stuff quickly.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

VodeAndreas posted:

No rush on Lament/Europa content.

All of the Wrathborn hunt stuff will be around until the end of the year, which should include Hawkmoon

The season pass track itself will be replaced yes - if you haven't got Duality yet it should show up on tower kiosk eventually, otherwise the cosmetic ornament set for ranks ~80-100 or so have not shown up again yet from the Y3 season passes so if you want those try and hit 100 but that's about it.

Thanks for the info :)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

The eternal struggle of Destiny: It's constantly dragged down by innumerable problems, many of which should have been fixed years ago, but it scratches a particular itch and every other game that attempts to do so crashes and burns so Destiny can just keep on truckin'.

Sylphosaurus posted:

This is pretty much how I finally gave up on the game, after playing both games from day one. There´s so much fun and interesting stuff that could have been added to the game but it´s mainly stuck in the same kind of gameplay rut since Destiny, which is fine for some people but I pretty much got pretty fed up with it.

I think the frustrating thing is they fix things (community happiest when they added infusion) and then backtrack (community very sad about sunsetting & vaulting) and the game is seemingly in a sort of tug-of-war about what it even wants to be, and that leaves some players very frustrated but maybe appeals to others? I think the one unifying thing across the entire playerbase however is that everyone would agree that the foundations for a truly amazing game are in place, it's just held back by poor decisions, which are sadly becoming increasingly common.

Meiteron posted:

Everyone should be playing a different game every now and then. Playing one game forever doesn't sound like the great idea Bungie probably wishes it was!

I remember when Luke Smith was saying in a Vidoc that he wanted the game to be more easygoing for players with less of a grind, explicitly stating that Bungie wanted to respect players time and not have any FOMO so they could play other games. I wonder what happened to change that attitude, or if it was just PR to get people sucked in and invested before making all the changes that they have? He's said so many contradictory things.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm beginning to think it was not a good idea to revamp the entire game repeatedly to the point that you're 'still finding your feet' after 6 years and the dwindling playerbase is just looking for an excuse to move on.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think that if they just said "We've received a lot of feedback about the state of the game and are working on removing sunsetting and re-adding all the vaulted content as quickly as possible" there would be an overwhelmingly positive response from the community and player numbers would skyrocket.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I have no answer to power creep aside from not thinking it was a problem tbh. Players always were excited for new weapons and tried them with each release and the game having a large filesize doesn't seem to matter if COD can get away with being much larger with way less content.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought that Saint 14 grenade launcher which left a trail of fire when detonating was really cool and a good variation on the weapon type. Have there been any other legendary grenade launchers like that? Interested if they continued experimenting with them or not. Gonna suck when the Saint 14 weapons get sunset, I really like how they look :( Gonna miss that scythe-looking laser sword from last season as well, even though it's not as powerful as FG I dig the way it looks.

I wonder if they'll ever add legendary trace rifles to the game as well. We've finally got exotics covering each element but legendary versions would be a worthwhile addition, imo. Been wondering why they haven't experimented with dual-wielding sidearms & submachine guns also. Could probably create some interesting perks for weapons that are hipfire-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Scyantific posted:

Good news: One of the Season of the Hunt weapons is a waveform grenade launcher like Martyr's Retribution, except Void-flavored. And this one can roll Ambitious Assassin which will load 2 shots in the barrel when you reload after a kill.

Thank you, I'll try for a good roll of that :D