Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Is Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman obscure? I haven't run into anyone else who was into him.

I started watching the Zatoichi movies earlier this year and have been enjoying them. It was interesting to see early on how the production changed as the movies (presumably) took off in popularity and, I'm guessing, got bigger budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Are we doing samurai flicks and wuxia now? Because I remember enjoying Samurai Reincarnation and Red Lion was okay, but both are a little more on the thinky and character interplay side, especially Red Lion.

But time for wuxia comedy/spoof, find The Duel if you can. Also lol at the bad trailer on imdb, the film ain't that serious.

Forever ago I saw a clip from an older kung fu movie where I think 5 or 7 women combined Voltron style to defeat a bad guy and I cannot find the clip nor know what movie it came from does anyone know? Possibly lots of wire fu involved to do it, also there was a cross dressing guy on the sidelines for some reason? It made the internet rounds a long time ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was the one that had some white guys with terrible dubs in a restaurant and I think a fight breaks out?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I am pretty sure that's Matrix. 2 to be exact.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Trip report 39th chamber of shaolin was dope.

Enter the Dragon also cool. I liked when the black dude beat up the cops and takes their car to the airport.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Enter the Dragon also cool. I liked when the black dude beat up the cops and takes their car to the airport.

.....Time to rewatch Enter the Dragon.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
3 ninjas high noon at mega mountain

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

runnypoops posted:

I spent a LOT of childhood making throwing stars out of AOL mail because of the 3 Ninjas movies.

Mega Mountain was my least favorite though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

.....Time to rewatch Enter the Dragon.

It is never a bad time to rewatch Enter the Dragon.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

runnypoops posted:

I have never seen any of those movies, but the first one was marketed with a weird cadence to the title and it had been stuck in my head for decades

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Butterfly and Sword. I promise you will love it. There is a scene in which Donny Yen stabs someone so bad he goes through them. It's loving awesome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All of my usual favorites have been mentioned, but while Eternal Evils of Asia is not exactly a Kung fu film but it has what is probably the best fight scene ever filmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsLKCHJI_pc&t=2210s :nws:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fist of the White Lotus

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
If you especially like the Ninja movies and hilariously bad 70s and 80s kung fu movies check out a twitch channel called Forgotten VCR. He makes mix tapes from vhs tapes and airs them a few nights a week. They borrow heavily from the Ninja series as well as Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Indonesian kung fu movies. Some real gems in there and they're edited for maximum hilarity.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Turbinosamente posted:

Forever ago I saw a clip from an older kung fu movie where I think 5 or 7 women combined Voltron style to defeat a bad guy and I cannot find the clip nor know what movie it came from does anyone know? Possibly lots of wire fu involved to do it, also there was a cross dressing guy on the sidelines for some reason? It made the internet rounds a long time ago.

Duel to the death 1983 featured a giant ninja that split apart into topless female ninjas to capture a shaolin monk. It is kind of the opposite of what you are asking but might be it.

It's also my favorite overall ninja movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

ChesterJT posted:

If you especially like the Ninja movies and hilariously bad 70s and 80s kung fu movies check out a twitch channel called Forgotten VCR. He makes mix tapes from vhs tapes and airs them a few nights a week. They borrow heavily from the Ninja series as well as Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Indonesian kung fu movies. Some real gems in there and they're edited for maximum hilarity.

That sounds dope, I'll have to check that out

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the one that had some white guys with terrible dubs in a restaurant and I think a fight breaks out?

well that really could describe a million excellent kung fu movies.

But the greatest combination of white guys + restuaruant+ terrible dubs is clearly this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZULengNxCkw

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I really should watch more of this, as I watched Shaolin Devil and Shaolin Angel a few months ago and loved it to bits. I doubt it's known as one of the classics? I only found it for that one bit Bloodhound Gang sampled in I Hope You Die, but ended up watching all of it. It was very cosy!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
not the same, but I am enjoying Jackie Chan pretending to be not as good at fighting as these other fellows

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have decided to finally watch all of the movies sampled in Wu-Tang songs

the Lone Wolf movies set me off (I know that they are not kung-fu)

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Elderbean posted:

I genuinely love The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. It's like a charming Kung-Fu hero origin story. You follow a monk through all these bizzare obstacle courses and the lesson he learns from each obstacle comes into the final fight.

Its old, cheesy, and cozy.

This. 100 times this.

This is the best Kung fu movie.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sammo Hung of Martial Law fame did a bunch of great martial arts / comedy movies like:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Five Venoms is pretty good

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Tragically, it looks like the El Ray Network has shut down. They were one of the few good places to find these films on TV.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Who Killed Captain Alex?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
IZO

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Wing Chun is also a pretty flippin' sick movie. Great fight scenes and an actual okay plot and ....okayish writing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
In fact, just every 90's Donny Yen flick. Every single one. The bad ones are good, the good ones are great, and the great ones are timeless. WATCH THEM drat IT.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm on Executioners from Shaolin and most of what I've learned is the Wu-Tang transition sound

and the fact of Pei Mai

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crippled_Avengers

Hands down the best amazing king fu movie ever. The last fight sequence is a work of art in all seriousness.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm watching Fatal Flying Guillotines and wondering why Carter Wong doesn't just use his thunder powers to kill everybody

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dynamite Dog posted:

The Flying Guillotine is not the same as Master of the Flying Guillotine.

You want the one that starts with a lama in the mountains jumping out of a thatch roofed hut.

One thing that's annoying about old kung fu movies is how many have extremely similar titles and can even star the same people so it can be hard to figure out if it is a movie you've already seen or which one was the one you liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

You want the one with the sick loving soundtrack.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3T8Nc730E9SkWxh5iQyQWE

https://open.spotify.com/track/5czYMUl5RQ2To5dGBFRis2