Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How to With John Wilson is a docu-comedy series currently airing on HBO, with three episodes released so far. I am absolutely loving it and it seems as if it's being mostly overlooked, so I thought a thread was in order since it's very much worth watching.

What is How to With John Wilson? Well, it's a bit hard to describe. The show is entirely in first person, narrated and filmed by you guessed it, John Wilson. John is an awkward man with a stutter who appears to spend a lot of time walking around New York, candidly filming all of the oddballs he runs into along with random weird poo poo that ranges from fires to murder scenes. All of this footage is compiled to go along with whatever theme he is currently running with, usually in a way that ends up being hilarious. A good chunk of the show also involves him essentially buddying up with people and letting them speak for themselves. This always also ties into that weeks theme.

The show is produced by Nathan Fielder of Nathan for You fame. This should immediately give you an idea of the type of person that is going to enjoy this. Although it's not a prank show in the slightest, a lot of the humor comes from the same place as NFY imo, so I think it's a safe recommend to anyone who is a fan of that show. I also get some All Gas No Brakes vibes from it. it's more surreal and low key than either of those shows though.

Anyways, here is a trailer. Show is great imo and more people should be tuning in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7aSybHRa6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I watched the first episode (because of the Nathan Fielder credit) and love it already. The awkward narration isn't my favorite style but the the footage and editing is perfect.

The footage of Kyle Mclaughlin swiping his subway card over and over was the most memorable shot

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I wanted to see more of the amateur child predator hunter

I want like, an entire series about that dude lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm gonna watch this show.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's real good. Episodes 1 and 3 are amazing, episode 2 is okay.

If you told me that John Wilson is actually Nathan Fielder in disguise I would believe you though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I died at the examples of scaffolding in movies.

Also when he is standing backwards at spring break.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I died at the examples of scaffolding in movies.

Also when he is standing backwards at spring break.

Lol yeah "I was in literally every shot and I looked too distressed"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh God the new episode :gonk:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The latest episode has a whole lot, but the best part of the series so far was the complete look of shock that one guy has when the old lady is talking about... something.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Seriously that was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen on a regular cable show without a warning in front of it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't gotten to that episode, but now I'm really looking forward to it. This show is fantastic. Normally get really tired of "overly introspective neurotic New Yorker" types pretty quickly but he seems like a generally sweet guy and he's got a great knack for sniffing out this world's littlest oddities.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this most recent episode probably felt the most "nathan for you" so far.

the ending credits soundtrack makes me wonder if the music they're using for this is similarly free public domain stuff lol thinkin about going back to the previous eps to check

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

Seriously that was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen on a regular cable show without a warning in front of it

I haven't watched the newest one yet so I don't know if you mean the tugger guy or if they somehow outdid that.

I love that it's this mostly wholesome show with random moments of "did they just show that on television?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far I'd say the most Nathan For You thing on the show was buying some crappy goodwill chair, getting a plastic cover made for it, then having a replica made and storing the original in a storage unit.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

So far I'd say the most Nathan For You thing on the show was buying some crappy goodwill chair, getting a plastic cover made for it, then having a replica made and storing the original in a storage unit.

Either that or in the first episode when he went in to buy a suit for court and then told the guy he had to go on trial for manslaughter. It was hilarious, but it was more of a straight up "prank" than most other things in the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

The latest episode has a whole lot, but the best part of the series so far was the complete look of shock that one guy has when the old lady is talking about... something.

I actually am drawing a blank on what you are talking about here.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's like four minutes into episode 4. It's just one of those weird small moments that crack me up.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's the first covered furniture location, where there's an older guy. He's on a sofa which is not covered in plastic but has sheets on it instead. The camera pans right to his wife as she comes out of the kitchen, gurgles out this minor rant that is either a foreign language (hebrew?) or massively accented New YAWK, and the camera pans back to the old guy just looking at her with complete... something. Confusion? Who knows. But he basically becomes an audience stand-in with his expression.

The bill-splitting episode really spoke to me on a deep level, as someone who has gone through every example shown.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh ok, yeah that part was great.

Yeah the tipping episode was amazing. Everyone of his rambles were so spot on to things I think everyone has felt or experienced. And the footage was absolute perfection.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Nathan Fielder is like, the greatest Canadian export ever

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If John’s landlord died of covid I might have been unable to go on living. Watch this so I get at least get a few more seasons or I’ll use a whip on you.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I went to a bachelor/bachelorette party in New Orleans in July 2017 and I’m fairly sure the Hard Rock fell down before I walked past it and I’m Mandela effecting so hard I think my brain is broken.

resident fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 28, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never noticed that this show had a thread but it was amazing and one of the highlights of the year for sure

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

limos-huween

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The finale was beautiful, this show is great and everyone should watch it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drat I didn't realize it was only 6 episodes. :( I guess ending with a covid episode makes sense though.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I know these guys love to ape reality show structures, I'd love to watch some kind of competition type show between John Wilson and All Gas No Brakes, with like Eric Andre, Guy Fieri and some random Tim & Eric character (Pierre?) as judges. Just totally blow up the format.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is risotto even any good? never tried it, but it just seems like wet rice with cheese.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Making risotto is often an early challenge on cooking reality shows, because it’s simple but nonetheless famously easy to gently caress up

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

John Wilson is great, but watching this made me realize how much I miss Nathan. I know he’s supposed to be doing some pilot with the Safdie Brothers about an HGTV house flipper couple who’ve been cursed, but I just really want more Nathan For You.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

As a New Yorker this show makes me miss going outside. Every second of broll is spot on. I hope this show comes back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1336718305361588228?s=21

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Excellent. I was a bit worried it wouldn't get renewed.

I'm guessing it probably costs like $5000 an episode to make so that probably helps lol.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I just watched this series and it was a wild ride. One thought that kept occurring to me is I wonder if this was either created by the same person or inspired by the "How-to Basic" series of videos on youtube, which get really surreal. An example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8y3SSmz4sg

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I'm guessing it probably costs like $5000 an episode to make so that probably helps lol.

Season 1 compiled something like, 2-3 years of footaged? I'd hate to be an editor on this. But beyond that it's just a dude with a camera and voiceover work.

Tristesse posted:

I just watched this series and it was a wild ride. One thought that kept occurring to me is I wonder if this was either created by the same person or inspired by the "How-to Basic" series of videos on youtube, which get really surreal. An example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8y3SSmz4sg

It's a Vimeo series originally - much like how High Maintenance got picked up from Vimeo as well to HBO. My wife's NYC friend circle overlapped a fair bit with his and one of her exes is credited on the HBO series. Totally unshocking that IRL he's a gentle weirdo with a camera that just manages to get people to open up to him.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

HBO’s John Wilson offers a how-to lesson on creating the most beautiful, profound show of the year
BARRY HERTZ

HBO’s How to with John Wilson, which recently wrapped its first season, is television perfectly timed to 2020.

For all the millions of dollars poured into prestige television this year – it makes me dizzy thinking about the drapery budget alone on The Queen’s Gambit – the most beautiful, profound, and entertaining work was found on a show that looks like it cost approx. $43.50. HBO’s How to with John Wilson, which recently wrapped its first season, is television perfectly timed to 2020: an anxious, idiosyncratic, and ultimately poetic of the joys and peculiarities of living in a city surrounded by people.

Across six half-hour episodes, each of which takes months to assemble and edit, documentarian John Wilson roams around New York attempting to answer seemingly simple queries like, “How to improve your memory” or ““How to put up scaffolding.” Wilson’s adventures, which he narrates but rarely appears on-camera for, paint a vivid portrait of life pre-COVID – before a poignant swerve in the season finale throws him, and us, into the thick of the pandemic.

The day that HBO announced it was renewing How to for a second season, Wilson spoke with The Globe and Mail’s Barry Hertz about the strangeness of getting recognized, the allure of reality TV, and the saddest premiere party ever.

Congratulations on the renewal for Season 2.

Yeah, they fell for it again if you can believe it. They didn’t learn their lesson the first time. But I can’t wait to continue. Though I never really stopped. I have a bunch of stuff that I shot after we wrapped, which we can put into new episodes.

Is all the new material going to be pandemic-focused?

I’m not pursuing anything specific right now. It’s just my resting state: I’m always filming, no matter what. I’ve been trying to collect as much imagery of pandemic New York as I can because we may be taking for granted how interesting the city looks right now. I want to make sure not to spoil this opportunity to document it obsessively.

How has life changed in the city for you from the end of Season 1 to today?

The last images in the finale capture the eeriest moments in my New York history. But now we’re fully into this sawtooth-like recovery and it’s an every-man-for-himself kind of way. But it’s also led to some visually exciting stuff. People on the internet, which is all I have right now as a sounding board, are saying, “How can you continue a show like this in a pandemic New York?” I feel the opposite way. The way people are behaving in public right now is a thousand times more interesting than the first season. I feel a responsibility to make a thorough historical document of this very specific time.

One of the first things that struck me about the show was how HBO releases each new episode at 11 p.m. on Fridays. Though after watching it, it makes sense. That’s the best time to absorb it.

I’m amazed that anybody watches TV with a rigid schedule any more. When they told me it was Friday nights at 11, I didn’t feel one way or another about it. But I don’t personally have HBO or a TV. So I had to rent a motel room to watch the first episode as it aired. I thought more hotels would offer HBO but the only ones I could find were near the airport. It was a strange, lonely premiere party.

I really hope this figures into Season 2.

Me too. But I’m not sure how self-referential to be at any given time. I don’t like to be too navel-gazey. I like to dip in and out pretty quickly.

That brings up an interesting point, because I read that you were starting to get recognized on the street. Which is weird, because we so rarely see you in the series.

That was a surprise. It’s by design obviously that I don’t show myself, and I don’t want to be the face of it. But the HBO image for the show that pops up on their web player is me looking straight into the camera. I gave up once that happened. But if people recognize me, that’s cool. However people behave, that’s what the show is about.

One thing that people tend to bring up when discussing the show is this immediate skepticism that certain parts are set-up, preconceived. I feel that’s because we’ve been conditioned by decades of reality television that there’s no such thing as happenstance.

That’s a huge problem that [producer Nathan Fielder] and I take a lot of care to consider. To make sure people could tell that it is real. Like with my friend’s car wash, when he’s really upset, Nathan showed that to someone and they were like, “Oh, that’s fake.” And we were confused, like, what makes you think it’s fake? So we recut it to take out parts that felt artificial, even though it was real. We’ve been fed the same diet of artificial gruel for so long that we don’t think we can trust images any more. Stuff like Borat, which I like for different reasons, but it has made it harder for documentary to convince people of its real-ness.

And what’s your current diet of images?

I was watching The Bachelorette last night. That’s a fascinating cultural artifact, this season especially, because they’re all in this quarantine bubble. Normally when you get kicked off, you go back to Hollywood or whatever. But in this case, you might die.

Nathan’s show Nathan for You has reconfigured how people think of businesses. Any time you see a business that looks a little too absurd or desperate, you think it has to be a Nathan for You bit. Your series, though, has recontextualized the everyday. I can’t look at scaffolding the same way.

Yeah, I’m sorry about that. And maybe that episode triggered some kind of erotic response in some people, too. That’s the joy of making this stuff. All my favourite movies, TV shows have transformed the way that I see the world. That’s the greatest gift an artist can give someone. But I also feel bad, because people have been texting me that they’re now getting a lot of advertisements for Stove Top stuffing now, which seems to be a plague I’ve unleashed onto everybody who watched the show, because Instagram is listening to them.

I have to ask about your landlady, who got ill during that season finale.

She is alive and well. I don’t want to give away too much, because it could be part of a Season 2 arc. But I can assure you that she’s doing well.

This is an interview with the Globe and Mail. I'd just like to point out their restraint, because it's very rare to see a Canadian mentioned in an article about the United States without them being identified as Canadian at some point. We're a very insecure people. Like I'm stunned it doesn't say [Canadian producer Nathan Fielder]

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Season 1 compiled something like, 2-3 years of footaged? I'd hate to be an editor on this. But beyond that it's just a dude with a camera and voiceover work.

It's a Vimeo series originally - much like how High Maintenance got picked up from Vimeo as well to HBO. My wife's NYC friend circle overlapped a fair bit with his and one of her exes is credited on the HBO series. Totally unshocking that IRL he's a gentle weirdo with a camera that just manages to get people to open up to him.

I didn't realize this.

Lol @ when he is talking about regret and shows footage of someone buying a Canon printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Man I really wanna see that forbidden Court TV movie.