Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guess what! It's time to have fun with our annual tradition of supplying one another with mostly boxes of cardboard, paper, and plastic game stuff!

:frogsiren:LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS ARE NOW GOING! READ THIS POST AS WELL, IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE!:frogsiren:

Rules Quick-Reference
See below for the full explanation of the rules; this is just a quick rundown:
  1. Post you want to participate, in this thread. Include gift preferences, your general location, and your solemn vow.
  2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com with your mailing address, SA username, whether or not you'll ship internationally, and any important info.
  3. Receive and read your confirmation email, which arrives within a couple of days.
  4. Check your inbox on Monday, November 23rd for your Santee Assignment.
  5. Find your Santee's sign-up post in this thread, and read their gift preferences, if any.
  6. Send a gift worth at least $35 to your Santee. Mail it no later than December 18th, AND ensure it will arrive no later than December 21st. MAKE A POST when you send your gift!
  7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift (whether you open it or not). If you're not sure if it's a TGSS gift, then open it, don't wait till xmas. I need to know you got your thing, and so does your Santa!
  8. When you open your gift, post what you got! Take pictures if you can.
  9. If you get a lovely gift, or nothing arrives, email tgsecretsanta@gmail.com so I can fix it.
  10. Stick around in the thread till it's closed, or at least until mid-January. There might be a follow-up thing you need to do, or a question to answer, or de-grinching to do, or a survey or something.
OK on to all the :words:
What's Trad Games Secret Santa?
It's an anonymized gift exchange for the goons who hang out in the Trad Games subforum. Goons sign up to trade presents with other goons. I handle the anonymization of assignments, sending your personal information to a total stranger, who will then mail you a gift. Similarly, I'll send someone else's info to you, and you have to send them a gift. Fun!

How do I do it?
Read all the STEP BY STEP RULES in this post (scroll down) and follow them carefully. If you have problems with reading comprehension maybe read it twice or have an adult read it to you. There's ten whole rules and you have to obey them and follow instructions. Each of the rules has a reason behind it so don't skip them.

So I am going to buy something for someone?
Yes. You have to get a gift for a Trad Games goon. Ideally your gift should be picked out specifically for the goon you're assigned. Since this is the Trad Games forum, we're generally focused on games-related stuff, but you kind of have free reign so it doesn't necessarily have to be a game gift... but it probably should, unless you're reasonably sure your non-game gift will delight your target Santee.

Signing up for this is a financial obligation. It is not okay to sign up and then disappear, because someone will send you a present, and then whoever your assignment is, gets grinched. Please take a moment to think seriously about this before you just mash the Reply button.

How much does it cost?
US$35 (or its approximate equivalent in Foreign Money), plus shipping. The shipping isn't part of the gift value because it's not your Santee's fault they live in Timbuktu and they shouldn't have to have a worse gift just because you're 8000 miles away.

What if my Santee lives in an Exotic Foreign Land like Bermuda, Guinea-Bissau, or Amsterdam?
I try to match you to someone in the same country unless you volunteer for international gifting. If you are willing to cover the extra cost, then you can say so and I will randomly choose from among the volunteers where needed to gift someone overseas. If you do get matched up with a Foreign Goon, remember that you can often order directly from an online retailer in their country to avoid international shipping. If you don't want to get matched with a foreign goon, say so in your sign-up email.

This Year's Deadlines
Some time on Monday, November 23rd, (which is the beginning of Thanksgiving week in the US) I will make assignments and email them out. You will then have until THE MONDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS which is approximately, Monday, December 21st to get your gift delivered to your Secret Santee. To meet that deadline, I am asking that all gifts be mailed by December 18th. Keep in mind if you wait that long you'll have to pay a bunch for next-day air. It will be up to you to decide if you want to get your gift sent on time using a cheap shipping option, or wait until the last minute and then get your gift sent on time using an expensive shipping option. You're still getting over three weeks of time to get your gift sent, which is plenty.

What if I forget?
Don't forget. Bookmark this thread. Maybe also set up an alarm clock in your calendar app or something? If you are the kind of person who gets excited signing up for things and then blows them off and forgets about them the next day, then this gig is not for you. Don't sign up.
You can of course make things easier on yourself by just buying something and shipping it immediately after you get your assignment.

What if I don't get a present because my Secret Santa is an rear end in a top hat?
This is called “being Grinched.” If you get Grinched, like an old-west Sheriff I will round up a posse of de-Grinchers and together we will cover for the rear end in a top hat out of the goodness of our hearts. You will get a present no matter what. And Grinches get Stitches. There are consequences.We haven't actually had a grinch since 2016 so I think let's not dwell on it too much. A handful of goons are banned from TG secret santa but I haven't seen any of them in a long time so don't worry about it.

It's already after the deadline! Does that mean I can't participate?
You are in luck! After the first deadline, we run LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS!. Beginning November 23rd, and continuing until roughly December 12th, we will have one or more extra bonus rounds. It works like this: you use exactly the same process to sign up. I collect names until either I have at least 8, or, a whole week has passed AND I have at least 3, whichever comes first. So each LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND will have from three to eight goons. Then I do a mini-gift-round assignment. You immediately fire off a Trad Games Present at your Santee, and they do the same! And the instant one LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND ends, the next one begins. Since the pool of participants will be very small, the odds that multiple goons will have to ship internationally go up, though, so keep that in mind. You can participate in as many rounds as you want. Last year, there was only 1 bonus round, so don't wait if you're ready to participate.

I'm rich and/or greedy. Can I send two gifts?
gently caress yes you can! Just let me know in your email (step 2) how many gifts you want to send and receive, and I'll make it happen. Each gift still has to meet all the standard requirements. Also you'll need to actually open gifts when you receive them, so we can indentify which of your Santas you've been Santeed by.

I only want specific kinds of stuff
That's fine. Just put your requests in your post when you sign up. There's no 100% guarantee, but really that's just like Christmas at home, isn't it? The worst case scenario is you get some $35 Thing that wasn't exactly what you wanted. That's not such a big deal.

I might get something I already have!
That's true. There's only one way to avoid this for sure, and that's by posting what you've already got. You can use boardgamegeek for that, or just make a list, or be more specific about what you do want. There's still a chance you get a duplicate of something you have, though. I can't think of a way to avoid it completely, so you need to be ready for this to possibly happen. I'm sorry.

if this is your game room, you have nobody to blame but yourself for the duplicates

What if I've never posted in Trad Games?
You're welcome too. If you have an SA account in good standing that existed before I posted this post, you're eligible to participate. Welcome to the club! Probably you'll get something TG related, though. Or a dong. If you have a brand new SA account registered after this post was posted, then I'm worried about you. Let's have a chat and figure out if you're trustworthy.

TGSS Mailing List
Would you like to receive a reminder of TG Secret Santa next year? Send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and ask to be added to the official TGSS Mailing List. I will use this list to send out a heads-up each year when I post the new TGSS thread. I won't sell or share the list with anyone, and I will use BCC: so you won't be sharing your email address with the other goons on the list, either. Of course you can also remove yourself from the list at any time, just send me a request and I'll take you off.

:frogsiren:FULL STEP BY STEP RULES:frogsiren:
These are step-by-step instructions in full. Just do all of them, in order.

1. Announce your intention to participate in this here thread. Put the following information in BOLD so it's easy to see:
  • Your Gift Preferences. This means describe things and categories of things you'd love to receive. This is mandatory. You can be specific but it's better to be general. E.g., “I'd love a blueray movie” or “I need tabletop wargaming scenery” or “I'd like the hardback Kings of War 2nd Edition Rulebook.” You can also specify things you don't want, like “I have enough dice thanks” or “I hate animes” or “Do not give money to Wizards of the Coast” or whatever. The more help you give your Secret Santa, the higher the likelihood you will get something that you will actually like. If you just put “I'd love anything at all,” be prepared to receive anything, up to and including Dongs. You might receive something you already own, especially if seems related to your post history. If you'll be crushed by receiving a duplicate of a game you already have, you need to tell your Santa that you have that game.
  • Your General Location. You'll be telling me your mailing address via e-mail anyway, but goons like to know where in the world all the other goons are. It's funner that way. You can say things like “Chicago” or “Wisconsin” or “Australia,” however specific or general you feel like being.
  • Your Solemn Vow that you will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when you get your present and tell us all what you got and who sent it to you.

2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com containing the following information:
  • “Secret Santa Sign Up” or similar in the subject line
  • Your REAL NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS. Someone is going to mail things to you and they need to know how. If someone mails a thing to this name and address and you don't get it because you moved or it's not a real address or the postal carrier refused to deliver a package addressed to “CockDragon1986” or something, that's your fault and you will have self-Grinched which is the most embarrassing thing ever.
  • Your Something Awful login name. It should be obvious why I need this.
  • Your willingness or unwillingness to ship internationally. Please be specific if you have restrictions. For example, if you're only willing to ship within North America, please say so. Remember, shipping costs are in addition to the $35 gift guideline.
  • Anything else of importance. Special information might include a list of your mortal enemies which I had better not match you with, a date after which you will be at a different address, your allergy to cheese, or whatever. I promise not to match you (as Santa or Santee) with anyone you don't want to be matched with, and I will pass along any messages to your Santa or Santee that you need passed along. You can also ask questions timidly in this email instead of boldly in the thread, if you prefer.

3. Check for a confirmation email from tgsecretsanta@gmail.com
Everyone who signs up will get a confirmation email within a short amount of time (usually within a day or two). If you don't get one, check your spam filters and then PM me, send another e-mail, or post in the thread and I'll troubleshoot the issue. Your confirmation email is sent at the same time that I put you on the Official Spreadsheet of Cheer, so it's important.

4. Wait until Monday, November 23rd and then check your inbox. That is the day I will close registration for the main round, and assign names using a secret method. It's also the beginning of a holiday week for most goons in the US so maybe you can get an online discount. I will post in the thread as I get these assignments out.

You must keep your Santee's personal information secret and private. Don't post or forward or copy their real name, other fake name(s), address, or email address in the thread or anywhere else. Don't try to go visit your Santee, that's creepy. This is important. Respect your Santee's privacy.

5. Check the thread, find your Santee's first post, and read up on their greedy demands. And then buy them a present and mail it. The Officially Recommended Spending Amount is US$35. It is OK to spend a bit more than that if you feel generous. It is OK to spend slightly less than that if you have the perfect thing which costs $33.95, or whatever. But it is not OK to Grinch your Santee by sending them a used paperback book and $8 of baseball cards.
The only truly universal gifts are love and money. For everything else, it's best to consider whether your amazing gift idea would actually be delightful to your Santee. Many people like to leave their options wide open and you can feel free to send whatever you like to them. Others have a more focused domain of Trad Gaming they enjoy, and it's best to try and fit your present into that domain if you can.
If you get stuck on gift ideas, send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I will help you out. I can ask your Santee questions while preserving the veneer of anonymity, and I also am full of great ideas for the difficult-to-shop-for.

Also, we may have Santees under the legal age for drinking, or who don't drink, so you must check with me before sending alcoholic beverages to your Santee. Some people have food allergies, too. Don't send food without checking.

Sometimes you have a thing that you already own that you want to send, that's OK too, just try and figure out what that thing would be worth, roughly (in its present used condition of course), and make sure your giftee is delighted by your largesse instead of saddened by your cheapness.

Regarding handmade gifts:
A lot of us really enjoy the personal touch of a handmade gift, so this might be a great idea. But there are hazards. If you haven't already made your gift, be sure you'll have plenty of time. The estimate of value of the thing you made isn't “what I'd probably sell it for if I sold this,” it's “what my giftee would probably pay for it if they bought it from anyone else.” For example, it takes a huge amount of time to knit a pair of socks; but socks are still only worth a couple dollars to most people, even if you sell your handmade socks for $25. If your giftee asked for a Dice Pouch, it's likely they're thinking of a typical dice pouch which usually costs like ten or twelve bucks. So if you make one yourself, maybe you better fill it with some cool dice as well? Use your best judgment and run your plans past me if you have any doubt.

Regarding ebooks and Print-On-Demand services. PDFs and eBook versions of gaming products and POD services are not universally loved. I'd like you to please be certain that your giftee loves them before you send one. Check their post and if they don't mention it, contact me and I can confirm with them whether an ebook or printed-on-demand book is a wonderful or horrible thing. We need to confirm your e-delivery was e-delivered promptly because your Santee probably isn't expecting it. DTRPG has hosed up someone's order more than once, for example, so seriously: DTRPG and other e-delivered gifts require special attention and handling.

6. Send a gift to your Santee in a timely manner
Every shipping company is heavily impacted by the holiday shopping season. The sooner you get something shipped, the less likely it is to be delayed. Retailers may also run out of stock. If you procrastinate and delay, you are still on the hook for on-time delivery, and that may mean having to select a more expensive shipping option. It's OK to take a few days or even a couple weeks if you need it to get your awesome present together, but keep your eye on the calendar and don't screw yourself over by waiting too long! I mean it. Don't wait till the last day or so and then complain about the cost, or – worse – simply decide you can't afford expedited shipping and your Santee doesn't get their gift until after Christmas. That is not OK. If you can't afford like $100 for next-day shipping the last week before Christmas, then don't procrastinate!

If you purchase a gift online, please confirm with the retailer that the item is actually in stock. Check and make sure it's shipped, not just “ordered.” Get a tracking number and check it every day. You can send me your tracking number if you want, but it's up to you to monitor it and see that your gift got delivered. I can't monitor everyone's tracking numbers. Let me know right away if there's a problem or delay.

If a gift receipt is an option, please get one. I know it's not always available, but it's best to make sure that if your Santee already has one of what you got him or her, he can return the new thing and/or exchange it for something else that is great. This isn't a rule, just a preference.

POST INDICATING YOUR PRESENT HAS BEEN MAILED BY NO LATER THAN Friday, DECEMBER 18th, 2020. Your gift has to be delivered by Monday, December 21st. To help meet that deadline, I am asking that all gifts be mailed by December 18th. Keep in mind that three days for delivery is quite unlikely unless you paid a lot for three-day express delivery.
If you have some genuine excuse like “I am trapped in a blizzard” or “my house burned down and I can't afford a stamp” or “the vendor promised to mail it but I have discovered they were filthy liars,” that's OK, come post about it in the thread or send me an e-mail or ask your Red Cross coordinator at the disaster relief shelter to send me an e-mail. In this modern world there are very few legit excuses for being unable to communicate for several weeks. And you can avoid this altogether by just shipping a gift within a few days of getting your Santee assignment.
Military goons: if you might possibly be deployed, you should let me know in advance, and also maybe ask a friend or family member in advance to arrange to ship something if you haven't done so in time, and to at least email me when your gift arrives. Being deployed is not an acceptable excuse for failing to get a gift to your Santee or going AWOL on communications from me. If you can't deal with this amount of contingency planning, you should not participate.
Overseas shippers: if you are shipping something overseas, realistically you should give it at least two weeks for shipping. Stuff can randomly get stuck in customs for a long time! Strongly consider ordering something from a vendor in your target country to avoid long shipping times and the uncertainty of customs.

7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift
You can open it right away or you can wait till your preferred present-opening moment and open it then. Regardless, you need to post in the thread as soon as your gift has arrived. If you get a box and you're not sure if it's your Secret Santa gift, then you need to open it and find out. If you are a double or triple-gifter, you need to open the gift immediately when it arrives so we know which Santa's gift you got.
This way your anxious Santa knows you got your present, and I can register that they have fulfilled their duty by putting a symbol into a box on a spreadsheet, which I loving love doing, you don't even know. Please don't blow this off. Every year a few people dutifully send their gifts, and then disappear from the thread, and we are left with no easy way to confirm that they also received what they were supposed to. That's not being a Grinch, but it is a source of anxiety for your Santa and for me and that's not very nice.

8. Post what you got!
Whenever you get around to opening your gift, please let us know what you got. Take a picture! You should also say thank you and describe your joy. Half the fun of giving a gift is experiencing your Santee's pleasure. THIS IS AN ACTUAL RULE, NOT JUST A SUGGESTION. Saying “thank you” is the socially expected response to a gift, OK?. Some participants never bother and that's rude.

9. If you got a lovely gift, or didn't get a gift, send me an email immediately.
Email me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com if you get something lousy. That doesn't just mean you got a nice approximately $35 thing that you didn't especially want: unless you specifically said “I don't want RPGs” you can't really complain that you got an RPG. But, you do need to let me know if your Santa has not lived up to the spirit and intent of the rules, OR – and this has actually happened – if your Santa was victimized by a shady retailer who has ripped both you and your Santa off.

10. Please stick around in the thread until a week or two into January, or until I close the thread, whichever comes first
There are usually last-minute hiccups and if someone gets Grinched, I'll be asking for volunteer de-grinchers. This is likely to happen in January, if it happens. Even if you don't want to be a de-Grincher, you can still participate in the tarring and feathering, and that's not something to miss out on. Plus people sometimes get stuff a little late, like when they go back home from their holiday travel or whatever, and it sucks when they have nobody to share their fun with when they open their gift.

Disclaimers
This is the fine print. Nobody told me to put it here, but I'm anal about these kinds of things.

Participation in this event is voluntary. I am not employed by Something Awful LLC, Jeffery of YOSPOS, or any of its affiliates, sponsors, advertisers, subsidiaries, associates, officers, enlisted men, serfs, or holdings (hereafter referred to collectively as SomethingAwful). My volunteer position as a moderator does not in any way imply or bind SomethingAwful or myself in a legal way to any kind of responsibility or accontability for what happens with secret santa gift exchanges conducted on the forums. This event is in no way endorsed or sponsored by SomethingAwful. If you get ripped off by another goon, neither SomethingAwful, nor I, can promise you relief. Nobody's insurance is covering this. Any supportive or punitive action taken by SomethingAwful or its moderators or administrators, including stickying threads and punishing bad goons, is purely voluntary and ad-hoc and is not a promise or representation that SomethingAwful is actually responsible or required to take such action, nor a promise or representation that it will act in a similar manner in the future, present, or past. There is no gold fringe on our flag and we decline to create joinder. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

I promise to take reasonable and prudent steps to keep your personal information confidential. It is secured by the use of a reasonably obscure password on the tgsecretsanta@gmail.com gmail account. I also copy some of your personal information, including your real name and email address, to my Spreadsheet of Cheer which is stored on a reasonably secure computer behind a firewall. Participation requires that I send your personal information to another person, and I cannot ensure that that person will do the right thing and keep your info private. I also cannot guarantee that my email account or computer is impervious to being hacked or compromised. Obviously anyone who shares or abuses your private information is an rear end in a top hat and if I find out he or she did that and can confirm it then they goes right on the poo poo list immediately and forever, and I will also ban the poo poo out of them and recommend the admins permaban them. But you must agree not hold me or SomethingAwful financially, legally, ethically, or spiritually responsible if that happens. Any further relief you seek will be between you and the rear end in a top hat and your respective lawyers, basically. Participating means you agree to these rules.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in SO HARD for this. Watch this space for a link to a pastebin containing my current collection (just need to update it from when I made it last year), and what i'm in the mood for this season

General Location is Kansas City. The one in Missouri.

And yes i'm reusing this same old joke. I will not grinch, lest I be bludgeoned to death by this thing

Here's a link to my collection

Some games I've had my eye on for a while include The Duke, Star Wars Outer Rim, Pandemic Fall of Rome, Founders of Gloomhaven, The Castles of Burgundy, the Ticket to Ride Japan map expansion.

Homemade stuff is fine, great even! Love to see your handiwork. Food and beverage gifts are fine too, though I am lactose intolerant. Sent giant dongs at your own risk - I'll use the return address to provide documented proof of their use This may or may not be satire. Do you really want to take that chance?. Digital gifts are welcomed, though I will profess that I would prefer a physical parcel.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 21, 2020

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I'm SO HARD for this.
:eyepop:

Once again I am asking you for an unknown gift from an internet stranger.

Gift Preferences

I have a large collection and for obvious reasons don't really have the opportunity to play games with more than two people. I'll link my CSI wishlist but haven't really been keeping up with board games lately. I have 7 wonders and codenames duel already but any other good two player games would be great, especially with a lighter theme. I also have taken to digital board games and was eyeing Root and Wingspan in particular. Homemade board game stuff and local snacks would be appreciated too. I am also deep, deep into Keyforge so decks are a good stocking stuffer.

Location LA County California, USA

Solemn Vow I have participated in this for a long, long time now and like hell am I going to grinch someone. The scandal, the sheer embarrassment, the unending feeling of Grinchdom. No thank you.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 10, 2020

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Getting back into the game(s)

Gift Preference(S): I'd prefer a core RPG book that I don't already have (I have most D&D/Shadowrun/Battletech/PF stuff), but honestly, whatever is good. (edit: Painted Battletech minis if you have them and don't want them is a good personal gift). Also maybe RPG related posters/wall hangings)

Solemn Vow: If I grinch someone, may my entrails be scattered to the four winds, to be consumed by hungry rust monsters.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 12, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
YAY ITS BACK this has been a blast in the past and goodness knows we can use some extra cheer in 2020

Gift Preferences
: I like all kinds of games, but already have a lot of what I would like. What I can never, ever get enough of is minis - minis for D&D, minis for warhammer/KoW, anything. I lean more fantasy than sci-fi and more generic than setting-specific, but new monsters, troops, heroes, scenery, dungeon tiles, and just generally weird poo poo is always welcome. Last year I got a weird-rear end warhammer guy from one goon and a goddamn reaper Totally-Not-The-Tarrasque from another, and they were great. I'd never turn down a magic booster or some weird dice either, if something is needed to round things out.

Solemn Vow: If I grinch a goon I'll die 'till I'm dead

thanks for all the effort, leperflesh (I always read it as leperfish, probably because of the cute little guy in your av)

edited for clarity

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 13, 2020

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dear Santa and related winter gods that I only believe in on Wednesdays,

This year has not been easy, but I'm still alive and I want to celebrate that by buying people poo poo. Possibly including dongs, but only if they're cool with that.

Gift Preferences
Board games! Two-player is good, as is small form factor; even before hellworld most of what I got to play is 2 player with my girlfriend. This is my BGG collection, but in general we're fans of deckbuilders like Star Realms/Hero Realms, Among the Stars, Carcassonne, 7 Wonders, and many of the Tiny Epics (Dinosaurs, Galaxies, Mechs, and Zombies hit the table a lot). I'm also a fan of art/setting books that I can use for game inspiration — the Deus Ex and Assassins Creed art books are fantastic, and I've low-key wanted a copy of the Worlds of Android for a while. Inspirational stuff is great.

I'm a big Transformers fan and a bit of a Gundam nut, so plastic robots in kit or toy form are always welcome. I do drink, so booze is cool. And if yiz want to send dongs, send dongs. It'll be funny.

I like RPGs, but I have a huge collection that includes a lot of weird/obscure games already so I'mma suggest against that, I don't play wargames or paint miniatures, and I'm outright allergic to anything D&D/D20/OSR related.

General Location

:scotland:

Solemn Vow

I solemnly swear that I will not grinch, lest a vengeful alien wavelength removes the colour blue from existence.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

***** ! SANTA :siren: SANTA :siren: SANTA ! *****

It is the year 2020.

By my reckoning, the year after 2019.

Once more I have had strong opinions about games on the internet all year.

If the past is any indication, this means I am due an awesome year-end reward.

***** ! :siren: END CHRISTMAS LETTER :siren: ! *****

Gift Preferences: While I appreciate and try to play everything sent to me, even before chipping away at my self-inflicted consumerist mountain of games, to be perfectly honest the biggest hits for me in past years have been weird/bad movies, cool stuff from the sender's locale, and home-made stuff. Nevertheless, I am always excited to dig into a game I haven't encountered before. Here is a depressing list of what I already have. Please don't buy me any of the following: miniatures, Exalted, D&D5, Games Workshop, Magpie Games, or anything from known shitlords especial (not even second-hand ironically as a joke). The main bits of stuff I'm still actively collectorizing are old ICE/Rolemaster/MERP books and first edition nWoD/CoD Vampire, Mage, Changeling and Hunter, in case you can find any of that stuff for a reasonable price. Interesting old games are always interesting!

I'm expecting twins mid-December, so…I won't say no to something related to suddenly having babies. In the event baby gifts strike your fancy, we already have all the classic youngling books. From my understanding, there are not enough diapers in the world, if you can't come up with anything else at all to get me. Maybe draw an ASCII orc on the Amazon gift receipt.

General Location: :911:

Solemn Vow: Should I Grinch it up, may I be subjected to 1,000 hours of non-stop listening to people picking at their ragged fingernails with their other fingernails.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2020

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
It is time to spread cheer!

Gift Preferences

Any Mutant Chronicles RPG or Stark Trek Adventures other than the main books or player's guides. I've also been enjoying reading some of the weird fantasy/OSR material that isn't super rapey and gross. I prefer print to PDF in general but some cool books only exist as PDFs, and I already have all of STA in PDF thanks to a bundle.

I also like monster manuals a lot. This can include cool books of nature photography or dinosaur books and whatnot. I already have the D&D manual (multiple editions), Creatures Anathema, The L5R Shadowlands one, the Alpha Omega one, Barlowe's Aliens, Veins of the Earth, 13th Age Bestiary, Theriographica, Borges, Masters and Minions, Tome of Beasts 1 & 2, Creature Codex, Ninth World Bestiary 1 & 2, 13th Age Bestiary 2, the Conan one, and a couple others I'm forgetting.

Other cool photo books are always okay, like Atlas Obscura stuff or other neat history/science/nature/art stuff.

Monster miniatures are also something I like. I already have all the cool monster minis from Bones 3 & 4 but other monsters from any line or game are fine. I just like them as minis, I don't use them for anything but fun hobby objects. The Reaper kraken is one in particular that I don't have. I also like plastic dinosaurs and dragons and such that aren't actually game pieces, and stuffed animals of exotic species. Like I have a squid, a pirahna, and llama among others.

I also sculpt stuff (mostly pokemon) with polymer clay (Sculpey or Fimo, don't care) and assemble Metal Earth models of all varieties. Other cool small metal/wood models or puzzle type things that don't require a lot of tools or glue are fun and good.

And lastly, I have some roughtly 12 inch high shelf space I'm working on decorating a bit, so cool and weird art objects are needed.

Please no animes or other fiction books, I have a lot of those. I also gots like, so many video games. Board games and card games are cool and fun but I have a backlog I need to get through already.

General Location Texas USA

Solemn Vow I solemnly swear I will not grinch, no fellow goon should suffer this.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 12, 2020

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I am a Grinch from years and years ago, and I still feel really bad about it. I volunteer to be a de-Grincher.

EDIT: Or if there's just an odd person out or something. Every time I've looked at a Secret Santa thread in the past several years it feels bad and i want it to not feel bad no more

Iron Chef Ramen fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 11, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I am a Grinch from years and years ago, and I still feel really bad about it. I volunteer to be a de-Grincher.

A goon santa redemption story

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
God, it's been years. I'm in.

Gift Preferences:
Dice and dice accessories. Goofy dice with outlandish colours (my favourite set glows in the dark) or particularly pretty ones. A rolling tray or even a dice tower would be cool, but I haven't priced those things recently so...
I'm getting back into Magic (god help me), so paraphernalia's always cool. I've got one playmat with Avacyn the angel hovering over a village; more in the vein of 'Ladies of Magic looking badass' would be awesome.
Games with a small footprint. Card games, dice games, the kind of thing you could stuff in a jacket pocket like the nerd all of us are. If it's published by Steve Jackson Games, chances are I have it or have already passed on it though.
Toys. Especially dorky plush ones. I think I'm up to five or six plush or crocheted cthulhus.

Please, nothing zombie related. That ship sailed for me a long while ago.

General Location: I'm in Canada.

Solemn Vow: I'm a shut-in who lives on the forums. I'll keep on top of things for my Santee, and keep track of the thread too.

Happy holidays, TG.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

EDIT: Or if there's just an odd person out or something. Every time I've looked at a Secret Santa thread in the past several years it feels bad and i want it to not feel bad no more

I'm a believer in second chances. Also it must have been quite a long time ago, since I have no record of it and I've been doing the secret santa since 2010. Unless you're a re-reg/alt account?

In any case, you are welcome to rejoin and try again. I'd let you just be a de-grincher, but we haven't actually needed one since 2016, so it's unlikely we'll need one this year.

e. also, everyone, participation last year was down by a lot. I'd love to see more folks joining in. You have my permission to invite and remind people that TG Secret Santa is going, in any TG thread, once. Don't spam the thread, but you can mention it's going on to your pals in the various megathreads, etc. You can also invite folks from other subforums that you think might be interested in trad games stuff!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 11, 2020

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm a believer in second chances. Also it must have been quite a long time ago, since I have no record of it and I've been doing the secret santa since 2010. Unless you're a re-reg/alt account?

In any case, you are welcome to rejoin and try again. I'd let you just be a de-grincher, but we haven't actually needed one since 2016, so it's unlikely we'll need one this year.

Put me down for a gift swap then, but definitely want to be a de-grincher if i comes up. And yeah, it was a while ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

thanks for all the effort, leperflesh (I always read it as leperfish, probably because of the cute little guy in your av)

Yeah when I got this av I had the fish guy put in there because so many people read it as Leperfish!

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Put me down for a gift swap then, but definitely want to be a de-grincher if i comes up. And yeah, it was a while ago.

Great! Go ahead and do the full post with your requests, sign-up email, etc. and you're in. :)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

IT IS ONCE AGAIN TIME FOR SANTA.

Gift Preferences

I have a preference for good genre fiction books (sci-fi/fantasy), tasty food, and video games. I don't mind receiving digital gifts of games via Steam or Itch.io or GOG, but I'm going to say there needs to be a physical component to the gift because unwrapping/boxing the gift is half the fun. Recently read Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom and Singularity Sky enjoyed them quite a lot.

Do not send animes, and be aware that physical copies of boardgames/elfmans won't get used since I have no RL game group.

The package of snacks I received last year was a fun adventure.

General Location Louisiana, USA

Solemn Vow I solemnly swear I will not grinch, no fellow goon should suffer this.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 11, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Oh yeah, it's that time of year again :bandwagon:

Gift preference: New games books good, but small/zine size preferred, or pdf if not. Heard iHunt is good, Mothership sounds cool, or something like that. I received Pigsmoke here via Secret Santa a few years ago, which was really cool. Other goon-made games like titan hunt maybe?

I'm not using minis much with the shift to online games, but if you were thinking along those lines I've been planning to run lancer in the future.

Art books are cool, either physical or ebook. Was looking at picking up the James Stokoe GRUNT book, or any of his non-orc based books, but something else that could be a cool reference for lancer would be ace.

Boardgames not so much, at storage capacity, and not getting much chance to play them during lockdown anyway.

Food and drink wise -I'm vegetarian.

General location: England

I solemnly vow that I shall not actively Grinch, or through inaction allow Grinching of my Santee.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 19, 2020

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Gift Preferences

I play a lot of board games with my kids (9 and 11) and wife so maybe something in that vein. I'm okay with pretty much anything though, getting things that I wouldn't think to get myself is great.

Solemn Vow
No grinchin', never again.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Hey, this sounds like fun.

Gift Preferences: I love board and card games. I've been wanting Root, Kingdom Builder, the Tragedy Looper expansions, and the Exceed Street Fighter or Shovel Knight sets. Other stuff is good too; anything good that isn't already in my collection would be good, but games that are unusual and/or cooperative are preferred. I'm also getting started at painting minis, so paints, minis (preferably pre-primed like Reaper Bones), and a nice set of brushes would be super helpful.

Solemn Vow: I won't Grinch. I wouldn't want it done to me; I won't do it to you.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 22, 2020

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'd like to be registered as someone to be a de-grincher this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I'd like to be registered as someone to be a de-grincher this year.

Hi Arrrthritis! I don't really register people to do that: if anyone gets grinched, I'll ask in the thread for volunteers at that time. It hasn't happened since 2016, though, so most likely there'll be no de-grinching this year either. It's lovely of you to want to do that though! :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm caught up with emails.

I do not yet have an email from SirFozzie or Bieeanshee.

I have an email from Gaghskull, who hasn't posted in the thread yet.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Heeeey! My favorite (and at this point, only) Secret Santa!

Gift Preferences: I love RPG stuff and miniature stuff. Anything from Games Workshop's Necromunda or Warcry lines are neat (especially the big single models that fit into Warcry; if you have a line on a cheap Mindstealer Sphinx, that'd be especially cool), but cool minis in general are always welcome. I've heard Age of Sigmar stuff is cool these days? Anything from Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear will also contribute to a proud section of my project bench. I could also use brushes or paint, if you'd rather give hobby tools. On the RPG end, I own a lot. Any of Mophidius's or Fria Ligan's games (besides the Tales from the Loop line) would be neat, but please no 5e D&D stuff. I love weird sci-fantasy, if you find anything cool that fits that extremely vague category! I already own most PBTA games I want and just about everything Rowan, Rook, and Deckard put out in that vein, as a heads up.

Electronic Wishlists! If shipping is too dear, there's always bytes!
I'm not your GM but here's my DriveThru list
or here's steam if you want to contribute to a different backlog.

Solemn Oath: A grinch never shall I be! Should something unfortunate happen with 2020 looming over us all, I will certainly notify the Leperauthorites with all due haste.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 23, 2020

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Leperflesh posted:

replied to the initial email

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Having to sit out again this year. COVID has made mail to my location go even slower. Hope to join again next year. Thanks for organizing!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

That is because I am a dumbass. Sent!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Leperflesh posted:

Hi Arrrthritis! I don't really register people to do that: if anyone gets grinched, I'll ask in the thread for volunteers at that time. It hasn't happened since 2016, though, so most likely there'll be no de-grinching this year either. It's lovely of you to want to do that though! :)

Sign me up fully, then!

Gift Preferences: Board/Card games that my wife and I can play together are a huge plus; We're playing through Gloomhaven right now, but would love for a 2 player shindig we could play together. Miniatures are nice, but I don't really have it in me to assemble or paint them. Dice are always good, especially if they have a weird gimmick. Rulebooks are pretty dope- I'm always interested in hardovers of 4e heartbreakers or weird systems you might recommend. 4e books in general are something I would love as well, as I only have PDFs of the existing ones. Overall though I ain't picky, I'll like whatever gets sent my way.

Solemn Vow: I won't Grinch. If I do, give me a swift ban.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 15, 2020

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I am very excited to participate this year!

Gift Preferences:

I am currently drowning in games that are still in shrinkwrap due to covid, so my hobby stuff getting done is basically the only thing to do. I've been enjoying skirmish games a lot and would love to receive something related to that. It doesn't have to be from the systems I listed below that I currently play, If you think it's cool I'd love to know about it.

Systems I play or plan to play in the near future:
-Crisis protocol
-Aeronautica Imperialis
-Frostgrave
-Gaslands
-Malifaux
-Kings of War
-Gamma Wolves
-Last Days

General Location: The Oldest City in Florida.
Solemn Vow: I solemnly swear that I will send a gift and not be an rear end in a top hat. The Banhammer goes without saying but it won't come to that.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Leperflesh posted:

Work has been keeping me crazy, but I have a few minutes to bang this out.

Gift Preferences: I had been really big into board gaming, but with COVID, it's hard to ever have a chance to play with anyone anymore. However, I have fallen back into the MTG card hole, and have started painting miniatures again with the beginning of an Adeptus Mechanicus army. I'll edit in a list of everything I have this weekend into this post. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yrkjWEvFdubIcqNWMH9szJ_Cg6Hud04iEZMIPYhu_MU/edit?usp=sharing

General location: The wonderful rocky mountains of Colorado.

Solemn vow: I haven't grinched yet, I ain't gonna start this year!

Gaghskull fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 23, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bruxism posted:

Having to sit out again this year. COVID has made mail to my location go even slower. Hope to join again next year. Thanks for organizing!

Sorry to hear it, it must be a real pain in the butt for you. I hope by next year that pipeline will be more reliable!

I'm caught up with emails etc. and everyone's covered except Modulo16. We've got 17 signups! Last year we had about 40 gifts exchanged and I'd love to exceed that number this year, although I know with the Covid situation that a lot of people are feeling a wallet squeeze so it's understandable if we have another down year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry to hear it, it must be a real pain in the butt for you. I hope by next year that pipeline will be more reliable!

I'm caught up with emails etc. and everyone's covered except Modulo16. We've got 17 signups! Last year we had about 40 gifts exchanged and I'd love to exceed that number this year, although I know with the Covid situation that a lot of people are feeling a wallet squeeze so it's understandable if we have another down year.

when you say 40 exchanged, did my 2 in and 2 out count as 4 in that number?

If so, it really felt like we had more people

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HO HO HO

Gift Preferences: Card games! Anything with a small form factor is fantastic, preferably with solo play as I don't get much gaming done with a group, you know why. I also appreciate RPGs, but please no Forged in the Dark, I've got all those already, or 5e, I'm not interested.

Solemn vow: I've never grinched before and I swear I'll never grinch, even if I have to send two presents!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

when you say 40 exchanged, did my 2 in and 2 out count as 4 in that number?

If so, it really felt like we had more people

That counts as 4, because it represents you (two gifts) plus two other goons (two more gifts). What I'm really counting is rows in my spreadsheet; each row is usually 1 goon. I used 2 rows for you, since you doubled up. That's also how many actual gifts get sent.

And yeah it was down. 55 gifts in 2018, 62 in 2017, 94 in 2016, 118 in 2017. The number's been trending down annually for a long time, probably just due to general downward trend in site membership or maybe economic malaise. I'm hoping that with the site under new better ownership, we'll get an uptick in newly-minted goons and maybe TGSS will also get more popular. I'm also trying to do stuff to generally raise enthusiasm and participation in trad games, with the recent gang tag event being an example.

I fully intend to keep doing TGSS regardless. If we get down to just three people or something we might have to stop I suppose, but I don't anticipate that happening.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even post in TG much but I'm a huge physical games nerd and I'm just like perpetually 1000 pages behind reading the terrain thread or whatever

I'll probably update my post with more specifics... When are you planning to do the draw?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I'll probably update my post with more specifics... When are you planning to do the draw?

I can't remember...

your inbox posted:

Hi <goon>. Thanks for signing up! I've added you to the Spreadsheet of Cheer. You're all set. Please watch for an email on November 23rd with your Santee assignment!

Leperflesh posted:

Rules Quick-Reference
Check your inbox on Monday, November 23rd for your Santee Assignment.
This Year's Deadlines
Some time on Monday, November 23rd, (which is the beginning of Thanksgiving week in the US) I will make assignments and email them out.
4. Wait until Monday, November 23rd and then check your inbox. That is the day I will close registration for the main round, and assign names using a secret method. It's also the beginning of a holiday week for most goons in the US so maybe you can get an online discount. I will post in the thread as I get these assignments out.

Ohhhh, yeah! :laugh:

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
Always glad to see this, as I've really enjoy participating in previous iterations.

Gift Preferences:
- (Weird) RPG’s! Stupid systems, sweet settings, or silly supplements are all grand. I especially love ‘world guides’ (e.g., the 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign setting book) and atlases.
- 40K stuff! I’ve read a few books and listen to the 40k Badcast, but haven’t taken the plunge of buying any miniatures/game-related stuff yet. So (fiction or rule) books, minis, or whatever would be cool!
- Board/Card co-op games, particularly ones that my wife and I can play together.
- Handmade/local stuff from where you live!
- Books! Sci-fi, fantasy, artbooks – whatever is great.
- Academic work! I’m more than happy to get neat monographs/books on e.g. the aesthetics of games, philosophy of games/play, etc.

Honestly, I’m pretty flexible, and will definitely enjoy whatever I get. So if there’s something you really love/find funny and want to share, send it! I’ve a preference for something physical – opening a wrapped present is part of the thrill! – but I completely understand if digital is easier.

General Location: Noord Brabant, The Netherlands

Solemn Vow: 2020 has been awful, and I don't make to make it worse for somebody by grinching them. So I swear to get them their gift in a timely fashion!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This will be my first time, but I might as well try something interesting in 2020.

Gift Preferences:
- RPGs that are not D&D, Pathfinder, or Steve Jackson's work
- Board/Card games, the more obscure, the better. No Hasbro or Steve Jackson games, though.
- Art books, the prettier, the better
- Academic books. Yes, I'm a nerd.

General Location: New Jersey

Solemn Vow: Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will stay me from the swift delivery of as a secret santa

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not sure I'm in the right place to be receiving ttg related gifts, I've no idea what I'd actually want in physical gift terms, but y'all have a good xmas =)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Not sure I'm in the right place to be receiving ttg related gifts, I've no idea what I'd actually want in physical gift terms, but y'all have a good xmas =)

You can also ask for digital gifts! Many goons have gifted PDF or e-book versions of RPG games, stuff on Steam, etc. over the years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm caught up with emails. No email yet from Modulo 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Infinitum, via PM posted:

Hey it's Infinitum, I've asked Leperflesh to post via proxy for me so I can sign up (As I'm currently probed for failing a toxx)

Gift Preferences
Board games would be my preference, please gift me a board game. I have several different groups I play with, so I'd be just as cool with a big heavy 10hr euro game as I am a light and easy party game. My favourite games at the moment are Feast for Odin, and Fury of Dracula.
- My Collection
- My Wishlist - I have updated this with everything I've been looking at picking up.
- Board Game Oracle - Use this website to get the best deals if you're buying locally! :siren:

I do NOT currently play RPGs, as I don't have a group to play with, nor do I collect/paint minis.

Alternatively I am a giant gaming nerd, recently nabbed a PS5, and I'm fine with anime.

Solemn Vow
I promise I will be better at gifting, than I am at Fury of Dracula, and actually deliver.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 15, 2020