Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Game Rules: Xygote is a creature-building and map exploration game set on a distant world, represented by a 12x9 grid of cells labeled A1 through L9. The map is filled in as the players explore it, and different cells contain different things to see and do, as described by the narration (in italics). The direction to explore next, as well as other options dependent on the specific cell and circumstances, are voted on using Straw Poll. Remember your vote is final, though I guess you can cheat with a VPN or something if you really want to. Don't worry too much about your little alien lifeforms, all lifeforms eventually snuff it. It's what they see along the way that matters.

One hundred of the map's cells contain wondrous sights, such as fantastic landmarks, interesting characters, challenging puzzles, and useful items to be found, won or traded for. Items are kept in an inventory that is reviewed at the end of every narration post (unless it is empty). Any object in the inventory or any element of the currently inhabited square may be investigated for a deeper description; this action can be initiated by any player's request at any time. Every cell also has a corresponding musical track (these are optional and do not affect gameplay).

Three randomly selected cells contain super-puzzles which, if all solved, will win the game.

Five randomly selected cells contain certain death. Players' creatures may also die from failing at puzzles, angering certain characters, and poor luck or choices in other situations, but the five certain-death cells will always kill the players' creature the instant they are explored. When the players' creature dies they must hatch a new egg, containing a new kind of creature, back at the starting cell (F5).

In-thread discussion of the game is welcome and encouraged, but other than investigation all actions must be voted on in a poll before they can affect the game. Polls don't ever technically close so I will announce polls closing in the thread along with the results. Updates will be casual but as frequent as is possible. The game has been designed to be completed in 1-3 months of group play. Good luck!

Update 1:

You are at cell F5: The Landing Site. Music.

You are awakened by a tremendous impact, as the red speckled egg you have gestated inside all your short life strikes the ground of an unfamiliar world. Still whole and unharmed, the egg's shell sizzles in the smoldering crater it has created.

The fallen egg cracks as it cools, until the shell begins to come apart. Happy birthday!

Sitting in the center of a cobblestone roundabout, surrounded by ornate trees, you finally get a good look at yourself. You are...

Poll 1.1: Face
Poll 1.2: Body
Poll 1.3: Limbs

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I voted :patriot:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

SIDS Vicious

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Jinh

Manifisto

neat!

Stoner Sloth

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

biosterous

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
excited for this!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

(Hahaha, the thing I was worried about happening, happened the very first time! SIGH, GOOOOONS. Sorry owlhawk 911 and blaise rascal your votes were too late! Democracy is a sham. I will announce polls clothing ITT from now on and we'll just have to use the honor system since there seems to be no way to actually close them).

Update 2:

You are at cell F5: The Landing Site. Music.

...a Red Speckled Chelagypsk! You are a crystalline creature with pincers and eye stalks. You feel vaguely disappointed you do not have flagella, but life is unfair some times, even to a 1-minute-old crystal crab.

You are standing on a cobblestone roundabout surrounding a smoldering crater, and itself surrounded by ornate trees.

Obvious exits are North, East, South AND West, you lucky thing you.

Poll2.1: Which way do you go?

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 10, 2020

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

:f5:
e: just in time for poll two! i can never chose any direction but north it's a curse

double e: wanna check out that crater

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 10, 2020

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Manifisto

voted West but the flagella thing is indeed bullshit

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
voted East and realized afterwards I should have looked for other people's replies

:ohdear:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Heather Papps posted:

wanna check out that crater

The scorched impact mound that was your childhood home. Still warm. You miss it already, but wanderlust propels you!

(This is going exactly as I should have expected it to, LOL)

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 10, 2020

Sig by Heather Papps

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Go West! Life is simple there!

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Khanstant
cool idea i am voted

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

lol

ty nesamdoom!

Prof. Crocodile

To the east my brother to the east. To the east my brother to the east.

e: man it is really hard to find a byob-safe version of an x-clan song to link to...

biosterous

go west, young Chelagypsk!

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

i have it on good authority that the Black WHip is generally to the west, so,

gallery of sigs

he/him

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I voted, but the direction I chose is a secret.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

lmao

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

You decide to follow the road to the east...

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 11, 2020

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

good, whatever happens it won't be my fault

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 3:

You move to cell G5: Burbling Bend. Music.

You clack your pointy little mineral feet down the road, East towards the sound of rushing water. You approach a bend in a burbling river, with sandy banks on either side and little insects flitting here and there above the eddies. Jutting out of the foaming current are 6 fuzzy mint-green stalks.

You stand on the cobblestone road which goes back West through the ornate trees and continues East alongside the river. To the South is a clearing through the woods, lined with tall flowers. The river blocks your path to the North.

Poll 3.1: Where to next?

Remember, you can investigate anything in the same cell as your creature. You might even get an item for it!

Sig by Heather Papps

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
If video games have taught me anything it's that you always ford the river

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rarity posted:

If video games have taught me anything it's that you always ford the river

i was thinking that too but voted for east along the road but i'm also wondering if we can investigate the green stalks. we've just lost the only home we've ever known and it might be lonely

owlhawk911

investigate stalks, ford north

Bingo Bango

Let's go pick some flowers!

Manifisto

the question is which you would rather be eaten by, fuzzy green stalk creature or carnivorous flower creature

sure hope our carapace is predator resistant

ty nesamdoom!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Let's investigate the fuzzy mint green stalks.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Luvcow posted:

investigate the green stalks

The green stalks, on closer inspection, are subtly twitching to adjust themselves as the breeze tickles long wisps of hair at their tips. A pair of shiny black eyes staring up at you from the water reveal the stalks to be the ears of a submerged mint nelumoptera, gripping to a submerged rock with clawed flippers.

"Hey you!" thinks the nelumoptera in your direction. "Do you receive thoughtwaves? I'm joking, of course you do. Do you know what a joke is?"

You do not.

"Don't worry about it. This is my spot to catch the zippies. See 'em up there?" The nelumoptera gestures towards a nearby cloud of flying insects with one of its towering earstalks. "Yummm, zippies. Do you eat zippies too?"

Again you are stymied, as crystalline creatures receive their energy from starlight. The nelumoptera presses on.

"This is how I get the zippies!" the nelumoptera thinks proudly, and it emits a high-pitched screech. Luckily, your internal ears are not bothered by it, but a swath of the little flying insects fall out of the sky and into the water, stone-dead. The nelumoptera scoops into the river with one of its longer ears, and channels a swirl of floating dead bugs into its mouth. It crunches them happily.

"There's lots! And you look pretty sturdy, being a rock-guy and all, so feel free to join me!"

Bingo Bango posted:

Let's go pick some flowers!

The tall flowers arch beautifully above the grass in the forest clearing, with delicate blossom after blossom in towers as many as four high. You attempt to pick one but your pincers are too clumsy and only manage to make a mess. You decide to leave the rest alone.

Sig by Heather Papps

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh no we killed the flowers :(

Ass-penny

Bingo Bango

RIP flowers, you were too good for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

can we eat the mint stalks