Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Agent355 posted:

OP says some characters are carries and others are supports. How can I actually tell the difference when just looking at a character since I'm not overly familiar with the mechanics at hand yet.

Also as a side note should I just follow quests around or is there value in randomly exploring as well.

Getting current with directed quests (main story + character chapters + world quests) is always good because you never know when an event is going to need a character who needs to be somewhere else for the story mission so they can't do the event right now, and especially in Inazuma, following directed quests will help make the world safer to travel around.

But exploration never hurts. It's always good to reveal a new map region, it's always good to get a new waypoint, it's always good to pick up oculi or whatever other spontaneously blooping map greebles there are. In the later game doing a little combat challenge or mechanics puzzle to get a chest is more of a "pile up enough dust you get a mountain" sort of thing (and you'll definitely need to pile up a lot of dust from enemy trophies in order to upgrade characters, talents, and weapons). But since chest rewards don't go up with WL, you can get some nice 3* weapons and 3*/4* artifacts if you're early enough in the game for that to be a power boost, and there are some nice one-off unlocks with whatever regional sigil you're collecting from opening chests as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Monstadt and Liyue both have collectibles/-oculus things in them that increase your stamina bar, which was like priority #1 for me early on so I definitely explored a ton and encourage others to as well. There's a ton of primos in exploring for all of the various treasure boxes and related achievements for opening them. At the very least you'll want to go around and unlock all of the teleporters and touch all of the domains/trials for teleport points.

The only pressure I'll mention with regards to questing is that events tend to be locked to the current tail end of the main story quest (or at least the zone it's in) and these events that come and go contain a ton of story content and characterization that will never return ever again for completely inexplicable reasons. (i.e. If you weren't playing a year ago then Fischl has essentially no story in the game at all.) I don't think rushing to the end of the story quest for that is advisable but it's just worth mentioning.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 27, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glazius posted:

Getting current with directed quests (main story + character chapters + world quests) is always good because you never know when an event is going to need a character who needs to be somewhere else for the story mission so they can't do the event right now, and especially in Inazuma, following directed quests will help make the world safer to travel around.

They finally fixed this and added a "yeah fine whatever just spoil me" button that lets you do event quests without all the story prerequisites completed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

OP says some characters are carries and others are supports. How can I actually tell the difference when just looking at a character since I'm not overly familiar with the mechanics at hand yet.

Also as a side note should I just follow quests around or is there value in randomly exploring as well.

When you first start out, any character can be your carry. My first carry was the Traveler, and my second carry was Xiangling. In the long run late game, Xiangling is an S tier support, and not a carry, and the Traveler isn't used at all.

The term carry is meant that in the early game, one character spends most of the time on the field, and that's the character you should heavily invest in.

Don't worry too much about picking the wrong character. If you keep playing, you'll have plenty of time to build out as many characters as you like.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They finally fixed this and added a "yeah fine whatever just spoil me" button that lets you do event quests without all the story prerequisites completed.

I did this for the chasm just now after a bit of a break and still had to do a step or two of three different other Inazuma quests. So it's better than it was but doesn't seem to skip the 'npc is engaged in another quest' thing.

But it's worth noting I barely touched the archon quests besides the ones that had been required a ways back.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 27, 2022

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I explored for days before I even bothered to worry about all the mechanics. I just kept climbing the highest thing around, going "wow this is beautiful" and would then run off after something else that was blinking. I was looking for the best free to play game that had heavy combat elements and now I just want to pick berries with my knight who is also a french maid.

Rosaria w. the Dragonspire Spear and Noelle w. Whiteblind are my 2 current "carries." I rarely swap out the Traveler (Geo, 1 constellation away from the full set) now, and pyro was Thoma/Xiangling w. Dragon's Bane but I just pulled Xinyan and she seems goofy fun so she'll get the pyro spot for a while.

quote:

edit: Join the discord: https://discord.gg/Dxbk6ZTB2X

We're a friendly bunch

hella joined

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Finn posted:

now I just want to pick berries with my knight who is also a french maid.

Not going to lie. Stopped playing for a couple months then came back to doing exactly this while exploring the Chasm. Game is long term fun and nails the joy of exploration. Couldn't help comparing the Chasm to Blighttown but in a good way. I know that's a weird comparison but that's what I was thinking as I jumped, climbed and glided around the mud and scaffolding.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mix. posted:

dont be mean to razor he's my friend :kiddo:
Razor is the first carry I ever built and he is cool and my friend and I still pull out his team for a couple weekly bosses and general exploration. Sometimes you just want to beat people to death with a big sword and not worry too hard about elemental interactions.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Why is this cat in the middle of nowhere?

Were the hilichurls I just killed... taking care of this cat?

:catstare:

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Incoherence posted:

Razor is the first carry I ever built and he is cool and my friend and I still pull out his team for a couple weekly bosses and general exploration. Sometimes you just want to beat people to death with a big sword and not worry too hard about elemental interactions.

Seconding this, physical units aren't considered "meta" in the late game, but Razor is cheap to build and doesn't need any fancy 5* characters or high constellation 4* characters to enable him. Pair him with Kaeya and the craftable prototype archaic and you can unga bunga your way through a lot of the early and mid game content.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everett False posted:

Why is this cat in the middle of nowhere?

Were the hilichurls I just killed... taking care of this cat?

:catstare:

Cats can just be wild sometimes, it happens.

When Zeta Star Rail actually releases, someone please let me know the wildlife situation on it, does that game have bears and tigers and stuff out in the wild or is it just house pets? And the same for Honkai.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i want more physical dmg units just bc i feel like it's an unmined vein of character design

also now that heizou exists we can get a phys dmg catalyst that just throws hands :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mix. posted:

i want more physical dmg units just bc i feel like it's an unmined vein of character design

also now that heizou exists we can get a phys dmg catalyst that just throws hands :v:

Genshin Impact's first Aura/Chi/Ki user

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

RareAcumen posted:

Cats can just be wild sometimes, it happens.

When Zeta Star Rail actually releases, someone please let me know the wildlife situation on it, does that game have bears and tigers and stuff out in the wild or is it just house pets? And the same for Honkai.

They are a monster for killing the hilis though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

They are a monster for killing the hilis though

What's the harm? They'll be back.

Until they can't anymore.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Space Opera posted:

Seconding this, physical units aren't considered "meta" in the late game, but Razor is cheap to build and doesn't need any fancy 5* characters or high constellation 4* characters to enable him. Pair him with Kaeya and the craftable prototype archaic and you can unga bunga your way through a lot of the early and mid game content.

Yeah Razor destroys the early game. My first party was Razor, Fischl, Xiangling, and Barbara. Just pop everyones skills/bursts then go to town with Razor. I eventually subbed in some ice units once i figured out how superconduct actually worked. But it wasnt even needed.

Someone already said but most units can act as your main dps early in the game. Just level up their weapon and some artifacts (dont worry about substats much) and you're good to go.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Whoever put specters into time-trials of any sort can go eat a bag of gently caress.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mix. posted:

I've been saying for ages we need a catalyst user built like Smiley who just beats people with a big rear end encyclopedia or something

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Geo user with a catalyst that's just a regular rock that she brains people with.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
With the Chasm being a full area now a Miner Geo character seems like an obvious thing to have at some point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm partial to Jean for all early/non-late content, just because she has fun and/or useful stuff with her wind gust and charge attack (is she the only character with a weird crowd control charge attack?).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I'm partial to Jean for all early/non-late content, just because she has fun and/or useful stuff with her wind gust and charge attack (is she the only character with a weird crowd control charge attack?).

Many other characters (mostly 5*) have different charge attacks, but she's the only one I've seen that knocks them directly upwards.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Jean's charge attack doesn't just knock enemies upwards, it also surrounds them with a little mini windstorm that keeps them floating in the air for way longer than usual. Lasts longer on smaller enemies, so hilichurls will stay up there for a really long time but bigger enemies like nobushi will only float for a few seconds.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Well Ayaka rerun banner actually did manage to become the new all time best performing banner for China IOS after the double banner apparently. This mostly tells me the games revenue stream is extremely stable in China more than anything.

e: For some context without the banner extension Ayaka's revenue period was about $24 million in 20 days which would have put it just behind Hu Taro's rerun. With it it's about $34 Million which puts it past Raiden/Kokomi with that asterisk. Pretty much every character has performed significantly better on their rerun banners and not the other way around which I don't think is especially common for a gacha title and probably tells me the games base in China also grew substantially during the latter part of 2021 and into 2022.

e2: Too put the Ayaka extension in further context for China market, if you were to add the combined revenue from the period of day 21 onward it's actually greater than that for Kokomi and Yoimiya's first run and has a very good chance to pass that Keqing banner they did once and possibly even Kazuha's first run and Zhongli's first rerun over the weekend before it finally rotates.

Kale fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 28, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Jean's charge attack doesn't just knock enemies upwards, it also surrounds them with a little mini windstorm that keeps them floating in the air for way longer than usual. Lasts longer on smaller enemies, so hilichurls will stay up there for a really long time but bigger enemies like nobushi will only float for a few seconds.

i miss jean at launch when they hadn't realized letting her just blast enemies off the arena side with no effort was stupidly strong :v:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Are patches normally 15 gigs for this game its honestly been a while so I cant recall entirely but it feels like thats much larger than usual. 30 gigs just to unpack and install apparently so phone users have been having issues. What did they even put in this thing I wonder. Fortunately I'm a PC player so largely unaffected.

e: apparently theres speculation that the patch may include bits from 2.8 that will stay dormant for about a month until the rest is on the way along with restructuring the file tree

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 28, 2022

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Got Ayaka for the burst and movement/freeze shenigans, but wow that normal attack really kicks. Just up to 7 so far on normal and burst because mats, but 10/10 would use pity again.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So clarify something for me. Occuli are collectibles in the world, they don't respawn or anything, and can be spent at statues to boost your permanent stats accross all characters or w/e. But each statue has it's own levels, so like it would be more efficient to spread your occuli out over several statues to get the most stats?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Agent355 posted:

So clarify something for me. Occuli are collectibles in the world, they don't respawn or anything, and can be spent at statues to boost your permanent stats accross all characters or w/e. But each statue has it's own levels, so like it would be more efficient to spread your occuli out over several statues to get the most stats?
Each nation's statues have a shared level. There are just enough oculi of each type to max out that nation's statue level. It doesn't matter which of the Mondstadt statues you spend them on.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Agent355 posted:

In addition to the above, they only boost your stamina (and only the Monstad and Liyue ones). There's enough in each region to max that region's statues+1. There's no min-maxing involved, just turn them in at whatever convenient statue when you've got some.

There's also a world quest involved with the Liyue one, but the biggest reward is the stamina increase.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Is it just me or is Ayato's story quest just so verbose it needs to be cut down to a third? It can't be just me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Remind me, Inazuma's statues didn't give any stamina boosts, right? I'm guessing it'll be the same for Sumeru too. I honestly wouldn't mind more stamina and it's kind of lame that they just stopped doing that.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is it just me or is Ayato's story quest just so verbose it needs to be cut down to a third? It can't be just me.

All of Inazuma is just :words: to the nth degree, yes. I think it's partly due to the translation but it gets super tedious very quickly.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

stamina management is a whole little design space they messed around in, so i don't think they're ever touching the cap. which seems fine aside from how it looks kinda ugly to not be symmetrical

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

stamina management is a whole little design space they messed around in, so i don't think they're ever touching the cap. which seems fine aside from how it looks kinda ugly to not be symmetrical

Yeah, I doubt they'd want to, since it's part of the combat balance (except for when they decide a good ascension talent is "nah, this doesn't take stamina anymore lol"). Would be nice if they tidied up the bar, though. also if the monstadt talent domain wasn't stamina hell

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is most of Inazuma. At least he has a voice.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So like, in other gachas I've played you evolve troops with evolve materials which were most commonly gotten from like, wednesday dungeons or w/e. IS it the same sorta thing here or will you get whatever upgrade mats just from random chests and quests?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nah only weapon and talent leveling is gated like that, character ascension is limited by world bosses that are always available (depending on you finding them I guess) and monster/location specialty mats that are common but might take a three day respawn or two to collect for the highest ranks.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Agent355 posted:

So like, in other gachas I've played you evolve troops with evolve materials which were most commonly gotten from like, wednesday dungeons or w/e. IS it the same sorta thing here or will you get whatever upgrade mats just from random chests and quests?

Like other gachas, there's a million upgrade materials. Some of them are from 1x a week bosses, some are from rotating daily dungeons, some are just crap you pick up from the millions of dudes you kill, some are wildlife/plants. You do also get some from quests or in chests, but that'll only take you so far.

Right at the start you only really need the enemy drops and maybe some plants? Those dungeons/bosses unlock either via plot, or you stumbling onto them.

Basically, just pick up everything you see glittering, it's probably useful. The game is nice enough to at least tell you where the stuff you need comes from, if you need to go hunting for something in particular.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, also google exists too. I already got a couple of 4* pulls up to 20 which is the highest I can get until I run around some more, so I was just curious.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It's worth mentioning that doing the test runs in the event menu gives you the materials for a characters first ascension (20->40).
It doesn't help with non-banner 4star characters that need weird and rare crap from their region, but it's worth doing the test runs for the three on banner characters usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Their map on their awful social network thingo is also pretty helpful if you're after something in particular. It's better than the enemy finder in the handbook, since it lists all the spawn points (and non-enemy things, like plants). It's a nice thing to have later on, when you aren't just wandering around and enjoying the scenery.