Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just don’t like the camera angle it gives you while shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Amber fans have suffered worse without complaint :colbert:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So unless I want to get a small pile of exp books I don't even have to engage with the oceanid event boss?

Even MHY knows what a terrible boss it is.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

The floaty mascot keeps blocking my view!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

El Burbo posted:

The floaty mascot keeps blocking my view!

This becomes a real problem when you aggro some hilichurls and are trying to aim a bow at them

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh you can aim the bubble

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Glazius posted:

You don't have to be exact with the ducks. If you miss, they flail around for a little bit before swimming away, and the capture bubble hangs around for a while.

It's more that they're hanging out in the middle of the pond, out of reach (unless you freeze a path to them)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I find Endora endearing and I am happy to assist it in it's evolution. I just hope it won't be as loud and chirpy as the Seelie.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I missed the Seelie event so this is just making it up to me

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't do the oceanid event because I didnt finish some completely random quest in Tianqiu. Cool

You can do the exploration quests at least but the Rhodeia rage quest requires beating the trails of tianqiu quest, which should be okay if you have a bow user, geo mc and...others that I forgot.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lobsterpillar posted:

It's more that they're hanging out in the middle of the pond, out of reach (unless you freeze a path to them)

This. I hate this.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

Holding down the button slowly increases your throw distance.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1xgMaA50U

Rosaria gets the Dreamy treatment, at least for rotations and team builds, and the anti-phys alliance grows stronger. honestly don't think there's much worth putting in a weapon ranking for her since stuff is pretty obvious but who knows.

the double cryo melt setups she enables drawing a nice divide between pyros who can and can't use them (well) is really nice for hitting both sides of Abyss with pyro carries. notable new info for me was an ER threshold for her (140) but if you haven't learned about her ICDs yet you also get all that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Missed daily commissions for the first time since I started playing yesterday. I'm happy this game doesn't have daily log-in stuff.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I picked this up on a whim the other day and I'm really digging it. I am totally F2P so I'm trying to spend my Fates smartly. I got Diluc off the regular banner which I guess is a great pull? For my Intertwined Fates, whats the best use for those? When should I pull on a weapon banner vs. a character banner?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Levantine posted:

I picked this up on a whim the other day and I'm really digging it. I am totally F2P so I'm trying to spend my Fates smartly. I got Diluc off the regular banner which I guess is a great pull? For my Intertwined Fates, whats the best use for those? When should I pull on a weapon banner vs. a character banner?

Characters let you build new teams and play with new styles. Weapons are purely for bigger numbers. Pick which of those you want.

The general consensus is you should pull on the character banner because nothing in the game is hard enough that you need the numbers of a 5 star weapon.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Levantine posted:

Diluc is a very good early pull, he'll be able to carry you through most of the game.

If you haven't expired the Beginner's Banner yet, you'll get Noelle (Geo, Claymore, shield user/healer that's super tanky) and at least one other 4-Star, plus it gives you 4 free rolls total (The only catch is you have to save up 8 Acquired Fates at once).

After that, if you're pretty early on focus on pulling for characters through the Event Banner and the Permanent banner, if you don't like any of the characters on the Event Banner (Right now it's Childe which is hit or miss for most people), just save or roll on the Permanent Banner.

It'll be quite a long time into the game before you really need to worry about optimizing by pulling from the Weapons banner, and as a new player it's usually better to try and find what kind of playstyles stick with you so you can start building towards your first real team. You'll get a handful of free 5-Star weapons through the story at some point, and some of them are among the best for certain characters in the game so don't sweat the weapon's banner too much. You just missed out on the weapon's banner that would've given Diluc one of his best weapons in the game, right now is essentially Venti's bow so I wouldn't worry about pulling on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Levantine posted:

Glad you found the thread so quickly into playing it, it's a lot to understand going in blind! It doesn't tell you but it's generally better to just pick one character and invest into leveling them up the most that you can instead of trying to spread it out among your entire party.

Also here's the before I play wiki as a cliffnotes thing to try and guide you starting out because this game is kind of a lot if it's your first gacha. https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Genshin_Impact

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Levantine posted:

Diluc is an excellent if boring carry (The party member you normally have attacking while everyone elses abilities are on cooldown). He is further improved by having Xingqiu and Bennett on the team so if you like Diluc's playstyle try and get them when possible. Use your intertwined fates on the character banner. With the character banner with enough wishes you'll eventually get the banner 5 star character, with the weapon banner you might not ever get the weapon you want.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Thanks, all. That's really helpful! For primogems or whatever, should i be spending them on Intertwined or Acquaint Fates? It seems like you get the latter from ascending characters so they don't seem quite as valuable.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Levantine posted:

Furthermore, don't feel like you have to spend your intertwined fates and primogems right away, save them for banners you care about. If you don't like the characters on the banner for whatever reason (XQ's haircut is dumb, fight me), just skip it. The posters in this thread will be happy to expound on what the best meta characters are, but the core gameplay's easy enough that you can basically play whoever you want, albeit less efficiently if you decide to use Barbara as a carry or something.

For the standard banner wishes, spend them whenever you want, it's very rare for new characters and stuff to get added so you're not missing out on anything if you pull.

Otherwise, try to slow-burn the game if you can, it'll take a while but you will run out of content and then you'll be stuck waiting for new content in between major patches.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Levantine posted:

Thanks, all. That's really helpful! For primogems or whatever, should i be spending them on Intertwined or Acquaint Fates? It seems like you get the latter from ascending characters so they don't seem quite as valuable.

I'd say go for Intertwined since you're just starting out and the banners where all the new characters are will want those. Also after doing 90 wishes on those banners you're guaranteed a 5* character so it's a better investment in the long run.

Also the Character Archive in the menu shows you all the playable characters in the game right now so you could look at that and get an idea of who you hope to get soon or know what's in the game right now.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 11, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'll go somewhat against the grain just to say the weapon banner shouldn't be entirely disregarded or treated as if its only value lies in the 5* weapons. we've had several in the past with strong lineups of 4* weapons and there are many characters who improve notably with a gacha 4* weapon rather than the few prototype or BP options on offer. a breadth of 4* weapons is also going to give you some more options when building a character (whether to focus them on reaction damage, burst spam/team charging, raw damage etc).

the character banner will occasionally drop 4* weapons from the same pool so it's not as if the weapon banner is ever required outside of the few exclusive weapons (Lithics, Alley weapons etc) which don't have as strong cases for being BiS like say, a Sacrificial weapon on Xingqiu or Sucrose. so in general i'd agree with the common advice of focus on the character banner first. if a weapon banner comes along with a strong 4* lineup that has a couple BiS options for your characters or would allow you to try out new niches with some, then rolling on it isn't bad at all. it's just important to know that weapon banners are bad for targeting any single weapon, 4* or 5*, so you should really be rolling them with the idea that you're okay with multiple of the 4* and no expectations on getting a specific 5*.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Thank you! The game feels comically huge and I'm enjoying just playing it with no real agenda. Feels like a real game that just happens to have a gacha tacked on, at least early on. I'm super overwhelmed but I wont stress about doing everything right away then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Levantine posted:

Thank you! The game feels comically huge and I'm enjoying just playing it with no real agenda. Feels like a real game that just happens to have a gacha tacked on, at least early on. I'm super overwhelmed but I wont stress about doing everything right away then.

Yeah, on the one hand, take you time and enjoy the game.

But on the other hand, the characters all need 168 materials to level them completely to max level (You probably won't bring a bunch of people up to 90, 80 is honestly plenty, not even including how much money it costs at that point) so be sure to collect everything you come across. Calla Lillies, Wolfhook, Windwheel Asters, Philanemo Mushrooms, Valberries, Dandelion Seeds, I dunno if you've seen any of those yet but it's better to get into the habit of grabbing them now while you can.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2021

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Karia posted:

Otherwise, try to slow-burn the game if you can, it'll take a while but you will run out of content and then you'll be stuck waiting for new content in between major patches.
I've played almost every day since the Ganyu banner in January, I've still got tons of content left to do. Some days I'll spend a couple hours farming for materials to ascend my characters, some days I'll spend days and days doing things like getting all the collectables, some days I'll spend on completing the weekly Battle Pass quests, obviously is all goes by quicker if you're a veteran player, you can knock out "Collect 100 Liyue/Mondstat specialties" in less than half an hour because it's become muscle memory, but playing a casual 1-2 hours a day and the occasional 5 hour binge, this game still feels like it has so much content left for me, and I haven't even made it to end-game.

Just in case Levantine, if you stumble upon the Dragonspine Adventure Camp while still in Mondstat, it is definitely not supposed to come before Liyue. I was still new and stubborn and did all of Dragonspine on my own before going into Liyue. You can get those quests at Adventure Rank like 15, but it's the most recent content and has some annoying mechanics and enemies. For some dumb reason I thought that to get to Liyue you had to go through Dragonspine, that's definitely not the case.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

Here is my advice, go slow and take the time to explore and enjoy the game. Don't rush. In the end game you have to make up your own goals, like getting everyone to friendship 10, or getting every char to level 70 and it can feel like a grind if you're not into that.

I still play every day for an hour or two, but some people get burnt out.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Levantine posted:

A couple tips:

1. As others have said take your time, at best as anyone can tell, the main plot isn't going to significantly move forward until mid-late summer, so you have plenty of time to get your bearings and catch up.
2. Raising your character's level only gets you so far, you are going to have a bad time if you neglect their artifacts and talents.
3. As you steadily get stronger the world level (difficulty) will increase, sometimes you need to perform a quest for it to increase, and sometimes once you reach a specific adventure level it will immedately occur, try and be ready. Luckily nowadays if you find things too difficult you can lower the world level by 1 if you need to.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The only advice I'd give is you'll get something called weapon billets. Be careful with them, you don't get them very often after your first few.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

mikemil828 posted:

3. As you steadily get stronger the world level (difficulty) will increase, sometimes you need to perform a quest for it to increase, and sometimes once you reach a specific adventure level it will immedately occur, try and be ready. Luckily nowadays if you find things too difficult you can lower the world level by 1 if you need to.
Bouncing off this, your AR exp is stored, so if you want to hang out at AR 25 before you increase your rank while the game is still easy, you can complete a lot of things at AR 25, then complete then complete the quest and immediately get a bunch of EXP that was stored.

No Wave posted:

The only advice I'd give is you'll get something called weapon billets. Be careful with them, you don't get them very often after your first few.
Just save them, you might hit AR 45, be playing a carry whose one of best weapons is off the Billets and if you saved them all, you might have enough to R2 or R3 a weapon if you didn't get lucky on Wishes.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 11, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Agnostalgia posted:

Holding down the button slowly increases your throw distance.

welcome to yaoguang shoal, where this no longer counts, and everything is a duck :unsmigghh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Bouncing off this, your AR exp is stored, so if you want to hang out at AR 25 before you increase your rank while the game is still easy, you can complete a lot of things at AR 25, then complete then complete the quest and immediately get a bunch of EXP that was stored.

there's not really a reason worth holding back on WL increases now that the option to manually lower it has been added.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RealFoxy posted:

(...) You'll get a handful of free 5-Star weapons through the story at some point, and some of them are among the best for certain characters in the game so don't sweat the weapon's banner too much.(...)

Just a slight correction that this should be 4-star, AFAIK all 5-star weapons are purely gacha.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Just a slight correction that this should be 4-star, AFAIK all 5-star weapons are purely gacha.
Oh my bad, I only used one for the Journal entry, I thought they were 5*s

Once you make it to the Battlepass, you can pat $10 real bucks for a 5*, but it's not worth the value until you naturally hit BP level 30.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

RealFoxy posted:

Oh my bad, I only used one for the Journal entry, I thought they were 5*s

Once you make it to the Battlepass, you can pat $10 real bucks for a 5*, but it's not worth the value until you naturally hit BP level 30.

Also not 5*s, all the BP weapons are 4*. 5* weapons are only gacha. You'll probably get one off of the permanent banner eventually, though.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Battlepass weapons are also 4*.
Still worth using because they're all crit-based though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

sushibandit posted:

Battlepass weapons are also 4*.
Still worth using because they're all crit-based though.
My brain is just broken, I've watched a lot of streamers that said that BP weapons are worth it because they're some of the best in slot so I thought they were just 5* weapons. I just logged on and realized that I only have Wolf's Gravestone :negative:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Another tip:

4. Don't feel the need to go after 5* weapons. There are plenty of 4* weapons that are so good some people forget that they are 4*. There are also some suprisingly good 3* weapons that are great on the right character (Barbara with the 3* Thrilling Tales of the Dragon Slayers for example)

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 11, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Another tip:

4. Don't feel the need to go after 5* weapons. There are plenty of 4* weapons that are so good some people forget that they are 4*. There are also some suprisingly good 3* weapons that are great on the right character (Barbara with the 3* Thrilling Tales of the Dragon Slayers for example)

This is excellent advice. I've been playing since launch and only recently got my first 5* weapon because I got god-draws during Keqing's banner and got her C2 somehow, so I splurged and went for the sword. 4*s, especially if you buy the BP and get those, are more than enough for the current content.

Also a minor bit of advice but the tooltip that tells you doesn't like to pop up: The big dandelions in Mondstadt are collectable, but you need to blow the fluff off with an anemo (wind) skill first, like the Traveler's E. When I first started I didn't realize that for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Levantine posted:

Intertwined Fates are strictly superior to Acquaint Fates. Most S-tier gacha stuff is Intertwined-only.
In addition to free Acquaints from leveling you can buy 5 Intertwined and Acquaint monthly from the shop for Stardust. Starglitter should be reserved for Intertwined or for high-value 4* characters.
The drop rates on 10-pulls are identical to single pulls so I burn Acquaint as fast as I get it.
I'd suggest saving Intertwined for the next character banner (Zhongli). The current one (Tartaglia) is harder to use at c0.
Don't feel like you need to spend money on the game for an edge. The return rate on spending cash is pretty poor (~$15 for a 5* through 3 Welkins, worse through all other monetization).
World level doesn't increase the game difficulty very quickly and Diluc is pretty strong and easy to use. Though you'll want another high-damage unit for enemies with fire-immunity.
Diluc pairs well with ice and water for vaporize and melt reactions. The easiest way to equip him is to buy a Northlander Claymore Billet from Marjorie in Monstadt, take it to a smith, and turn it into a Prototype Archaic.

Build guides here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gNxZ2xab1J6o1TuNVWMeLOZ7TPOqrsf3SshP5DLvKzI/htmlview?pru=AAABdprSFQ8*9XyMZ3FSVx2JzKaA272SpA

malbogio fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 12, 2021