Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Excellent OP Xun. I think you can unlock a way to bank resin a bit? Not there yet on the Liyue quests.

Radical posted:

i kinda want to use c2 barb with tartaglia for the bonus hydro dmg but using her ult that much is probably overkill

If you get Thrilling Tales for Barbara, absolutely try it.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone seen a suggested artifact list for each character? I know there has to be one.

There are some "tl dr" guides on reddit for each character that include a couple suggested artifact sets.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The best change in 1.1 is now you can move the camera while talking to NPCs like in Breath of the Wild. There are good landscapes to look at during dialogue, and it adds to the open feeling of the world subtly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Artifacts below certain milestones aren't wasted - you can still feed those to better ones later at a cost of 10% xp.
You shouldn't neglect anything between character levels, weapons, talents, and artifacts on your main DPS or team, but you simultaneously don't need to max out any. If you're just looking for something to focus on, I recommend those in that order.
If you don't have time or patience, you can do leylines and get something out of it. It's true for everything that it'll be more rewarding and more difficult at later world levels, but that's how the game scales - gotta get stuff to get there. Nothing is wasted unless you're running domains for ascension materials you don't need.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

"Astrology."

"HAW-HAW"

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

inthesto posted:

Did anyone else find this in Mondstadt, by the cathedral?

Apparently each little platform has a ring around it, and if you jump from platform to platform in the full semi-circle, you get a luxurious chest at the end.

I looked up where all precious chests were and this one threw me for a loop. Love ones like that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Suddenly talents need materials I've never seen from the big bosses. I do them weekly and I'm taking on a high enough level for Stormterror.
Is this bad luck or is the % just very low?

Kind of sucks but not really. I'm free from farming those kinds of books.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Worked for me. My code was QT7AH84DGY7H

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My biggest issue with the story is that it might take years for the main plot thread to resolve, assuming it ever does.

It's an interesting story so far, and I'm ok with some of it coming from external non-game media. Shallow tropey characters unfortunately but it's anime, what can you expect?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Trihugger posted:

I've had one green loot get stuck in the ground unlootable and one time where loot fell to the bottom of the water instead of float or spawn on land. It's been pretty tolerable, but I can see someone getting annoyed if it happens to something like a 5* artifact.

If you drown yourself sunken loot reappears either at the surface or back on land.

No idea if it works for loot that falls through the world or into cracks you can't get through. Try it if there is swimmable water nearby.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

i feel you man i had the same difficulties. but as you continue to play you'll find that you have such an excess of poo poo that you won't even be able to spend your drop materials on account of not having enough characters or weapons that use them.

drops are also way more generous at adventure rank 40+, i felt like they were plentiful even at 35. it's kind of a bummer that wr dictates the quality AND quantity of drops but what can you do?

It's a pretty big boost in amount and quality of drops, which feels good on the surface.

It's not a great trade-off with "tougher" enemies, quicker deaths, and increased material costs. The enemy attack patterns don't seem to change, you just need to mess up less, fight longer battles, and more of them. You do get an excess of stuff, but it tends to be for the stuff you don't need.
Outside of bosses, I needed guardian parts and wopperflower nectars. It's nice to get more/better parts, but the guardians took much longer to kill, and both have an attack that can stun lock the strongest characters to death from full heath. Characters that aren't the focus can suddenly get one-shotted by bosses. Gotta be careful who gets those eggs. The flip side is that after you max your favorite ones, it can be faster to bring secondary characters and gear up to speed.

It's like a more boring version of how Breath of the Wild's world difficulty scales up. The fights get more tedious rather than difficult. I don't agree that any world level upgrade is a "trap" but I understand why players might feel that way.

What you can do is put the game down for a bit. Less pressure if you don't have to push the battle pass or commissions every day, the game isn't going anywhere and events/story will happen eventually.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 28, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Oh phew, so I am safe after all.

Anyway, any advice on leveling up weapons? I'm sitting on a lvl 60 Prototype Rancour and to hit 70 with this thing would take 87 mystic ores so I'm assuming there's a better way that I don't know about. I'm at AR 39 right now trying to have the materials on hand so I can at least ascend him immediately even if leveling him up will get more stupidly expensive.

I think you can only really mine crystals and white iron and forge them.

If you do it in co op, they drop for everyone nearby. If your world is picked clean, join some random games of low level players and offer to show them your favorite spots, or ask if it's ok for you to go out mining on your own.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Woah what the blue crystals give adventurer xp!?

The forging recipe just says it's going to take resin and give me weapon xp gems so I never bothered. Whoops.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jesus how much money are you guys even putting into this?
Like I don't think there's enough primos in the game to get 2 pities.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Enhance 8 5-star artifacts to Lv. 20.

Lol yeah I'll get right on that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I had to do it once and now its doing it again. I feel horrible calling the bank because its in spanish and mihoyo is literally "my hole" and they think I'm pranking them

I wonder if buying the primos from the playstore bypasses the problem

I first read this as Mihoyo is a hole that you shovel money into endlessly.

No just a great double (triple?) entendre.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Late to the Zhongli chat but I like when someone brings him into domain co op. It's fun to stand on the pillars as a ranged character.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The next geo character is gonna make elevator pillars that grow taller the longer you stand on them

Their ult is just the entire inn.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Don't farm the artifact domains for 4*s, it's a total waste of resin. It's best to leave those domains well alone until AR 45 (which is when you start getting guaranteed 5*s).

You will eventually want to have two teams (8 fully capable characters), so if you're happy with your main team, start working on your secondary! Doing leylines is also never a waste of resin, you will very much run out of both mora and XP books (this might not be apparent at AR 30, but trust me).

Artifact farming routes are a good alternative for leveling up 4* artifacts until you can get 5*s.

Unless I'm forgetting another use you'll only need two well-built teams if you want to dive into Spiral Abyss. Try it out before building up a second team. After floor 5, you should be able to decide if this is a fun thing you want to get into. If not, spend resources on something else you want or Leylines if unsure.

Spiral Abyss is the best Post-Game content atm, and has big primo gem rewards every two weeks. Some people really like it.
To me it's a grind and not worth the cost, but it's something to do and I'm fine when the handbook says to do it.

There are multiple things to enjoy about the game and ways to play it. Try everything and find the fun.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

LorneReams posted:

Do you think they'll make your sibling a playable character with different elements?

I wonder if you'll ever be as tall as your big sister.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I was able to redeem all three on EU.

5KVeIbSxDUU

G3tQq6TOqmE

eATDgIXLD56

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/gift

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On Beidou the Sacrificial Greatsword, with a base 40% chance of no cool down on E, is super fun. Its main stat energy recharge is undervalued and fun to build around.

The problem with it is that the only 5* I've pulled outside the initial roll is Wolf's Gravestone.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Literally my best artifact, and I use Mona as burst DPS support. Every single substat roll went into ER except one crit rate.

drat nice cup.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Realized I still had freedom books from the meteor event and earlier that i never used and dumped them into Barbara's healing. All the way up to level 8 with that constellation! Wait...

Whoops wrong healing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lol 300 Mora and a reminder to link email / phone number.

Qwertycoatl posted:

My wild rear end guess based on gacha game powercreep is that by this time next year we'll be showered in enough purple books to take any random character up to level 90 and the big grind will be farming the rainbow books to take characters to level 120

I'm guessing 6* artifacts.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, I feel like there is something wrong with format of the game that I cannot place my finger on. All the grinding and open world make it seem like an MMORPG, but it isn't and it makes me question the point of grinding. You need to grind for character exp, weapon exp, money, talent books, ascension materials for weapons, ascension materials for characters, and probably other stuff I forgot. However, there is nothing to actually grind FOR. It is essentially single player, so you are not competing with anyone when it comes to gear, and there is no end game at all. There is nothing in Genshin Impact except for the Spiral Abyss, and it is the same boring domain fight arena as every other grinding thing in the game and it does not have meaningful rewards to actually make you care about getting to the end of it. I played Everquest in 2000 and have no problem with grinding, but there was at least a purpose for it there. You grind to get better stuff to do harder content, and the harder content is actually in the game and you just need to get to it. If there were large mobs wandering the world that you needed end game gear to deal with like Xenoblade Chronicles or actual end game dungeons to explore like real MMOs it might feel more purposeful to grind and have something to do where you actually need better gear. It feels like using resin and doing dailies is for some feeling of FOMO where you might need resources in the future, rather than because it has any sort of purpose right now. The only gacha game I have ever played besides this was FFRK a while ago, but it did not have the same tedious feel toward farming because it did not really feel like a real game that you had to pay attention to to get your farming done. Maybe I am just burnt out, but it feels bad when there is nothing to do in a big game world that does not require resin.

I feel like it is some weird middle ground of BotW and a MMORPG, but no finished story to work towards like BotW and no real reason to play because you cannot gain anything without using resin which automatically time gates your content artificially. Leveling was slow in Everquest, but at least it was a function of you playing the game and you had some control over how fast you progress.

I feel all this. It's burnout. Put the game down until Cool Cool Mountain is out.

No idea how people can do daily artifact or gem routes and not burn out. Can't even do the daily commissions anymore and keep resin down daily anymore at this point.

Pulling new characters is the biggest incentive, but I just don't see it. It takes too many resources to get a new character up to speed, and many of them don't seem to exist in the actual story yet, if ever.
Am I just missing something to trigger story quests for Bennet, Sucrose, Beidou, Noelle, or, Diona? Why implement characters before putting them in the game?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

Do you think the game would be better with only six non-starter four stars in the game?

Of course not. I think the game and players would be better served by fleshing out those characters or making them more a part of the world. The amount of characters gives casual players different gameplay experiences in a nice way.

In the beginning the protagonist enters an office with Jean, Lisa etc setting the expectation that party characters exist in the world and have a stake in the plot.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Because being able to pull new characters with different mechanics every couple of weeks or so is integral to this games business model.
Yeah this is obviously what's up. They know if they put a young catgirl in, some people will throw money at the screen until they get it. For some players it is more about the way the character looks or cookie-cutter character archetype than their place in the world or story. That's ok.

If Mihoyo put some of that focus towards fleshing out characters, I would enjoy it and possibly put more money into the game, but that pales in comparison to the money another player would put in if they added more catgirls. Also it's game development so they can't just shift resources or throw money/staff at something to get more content faster. I don't have to like the system but it makes economic sense.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New poo poo! This is what I'm all about.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Flair posted:

New code: GSIMPTq125

Thanks! Still working.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

So for those players who are complaining about the geo cube: Bring a level 1 Noelle! Save your ult for the final phase and you'll cut a bunch of time off the boss fight.

Thanks for the tip. Big difference.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wow I was able to take down penultimate Stormterror's shield in a single go every round. It's been such a slog previously.

3 star attack food + Thunder vial from alchemy
Fischl E + Xiangliang E + Beidou basic attacks on the claw.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

nessin posted:

Other than Bennett and Sucrose the advantage gained by leveling a support past A4 60 is pretty small unless you've got artifacts to go with them. Sure it's going to have some benefit but not worth sacrificing building artifacts or leveling other supports to A4 60.

What's the benefit (Bennetfit) for them to keep going past 60/70 as supports?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tsyni posted:

Elemental reactions like overloaded scale based on EM and Level only. Bennet 60 ascended has 60 less base attack than level 90, which he can pass on with his Q. You get some diminishing returns, but at a certain point you have your carry maxed and leveling everyone else makes some sense. If you're constantly rotating new people through then maybe not. It depends on your needs and goals. If Bennett is your favourite character then maxing him out in every way makes sense. When people talk about the 60/70 I always assume it's a baseline until your resources start to accumulate at higher ARs and you have some to spare.

Thanks, good info.

I'm hanging on to a lot of books from the meteor event still. Biggest bottleneck is the artifacts. It's going to a while until I have two teams at +8 5* artifacts.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 31, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Archonex posted:

The cyro regisvine event boss is actually really easy if you bring the right kit and use the right strategy. The secret is to just use Amber

This is really good advice. Amber can focus on the eye-shield and her ult stuns it easily at the right times.

The big flower part of the event is still shite tho.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sometimes the shield's dome doesn't spawn, or the boss lets the attack go immediately after the shield-crystal appears.

That jank is kind of charming unlike the double loading screens per revive.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a time limit for giving the Stormoculous crystals to the tree? Its event guidelines don't mention a cutoff date.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Which are the easiest and quickest artifact domains?

The one that's just three abyss mages goes pretty quick.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Why does anyone care about Hu Tao?

There is no story to build them up, they are probably another fire spear character, and they don't cater to any specific fetish that I know of. Is it just that it's anything new? Tae linked their voice lines a few pages back and I'm not getting it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Draxion posted:

Kind of cool design I guess? The voice acting didn't stand out at all to me either.

What's cool about it? She's kind of brown or purple which I could imagine being cool if you're doing a color themed team but that's reaching, and I'm really trying here.

Maybe it's all in the hat? I like a good hat. Hat teams?

Also very cool:

Gaardean posted:

I nerded out after reading a post on Reddit and made an Artifact Optimizer for figuring out the optimal ATK/Crit ratios, figured I'd toss it here for the other math freaks to look at. It uses impossibly maxed out artifacts at the base, but you can tune that down what % of max stats you want. The major inflection point around 60% artifact strength is probably the most interesting thing it illustrates.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Regarding Mona and Xingqiu, as someone who has and uses both, definitely build Xingqiu first, and especially if you're not sure what you want your teams to look like yet and double especially if you happen to have a sacrificial sword. Xingqiu is quite flexible and can fit in really well in a lot of teams and does a ton of damage all on his own as long as you're using normal attacks while his ult is active. He's like Fischl and Xiangling, an excellent off-field damage dealer with some pretty good utility in his kit to boot.

Mona on the other hand is very specialized and if you just throw her into a random team comp she is flat out terrible, easily the worst five star and significantly worse than Xingqiu. You need to build a team around her and play around her ult or she'll contribute a disproportionately small amount of damage for your investment in her. If you do play her the right way though she's extremely good, the burstiest burst support and capable of oneshotting a whole bunch of bosses. At the very least you should probably not use Mona on a team that doesn't also have Bennett on it. As a caveat though there are a number of situations where her one big trick is just not practical to use (like abyss floors and domains with pulsing elemental auras for example).

I've posted before on how to build her and do big numbers with her, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3947706&pagenumber=172&perpage=40#post510999589

Thanks for the Mona posts. Why Vaporize over the other reactions that add damage - electro charged and swirl.

EM should come from the person triggering the reaction I think. Does their crit % / crit damage also affect the reaction?