Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Oh yay, a thread. :3: I started playing about two weeks ago because I love to make mistakes. I've avoided reading too much about it because the few things I did read seemed to really encourage FOMO and trying to get specific characters, so it's nice to have a place to maybe ask questions without too much risk to my wallet. I like to play every game as incorrectly as possible anyway. The lack of support for bluetooth controllers on Android has been a source of much lunchtime frustration.

I've been thinking about getting the $5 a month thing via the Android edition, since I get enough play points every month for a $3 off coupon and two bucks a month out of pocket seems fair. Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Join the discord as well. https://discord.gg/Dxbk6ZTB2X

It's fairly active and we love fussing over new players.

I've been lurking, but discord feels too much like a real conversation so I haven't actually participated. :v: For the record, using 150 Play Points to get a $3 Genshin coupon for $2 blessings worked perfectly, no downsides.

Instead of actually doing any game things, I've been trying to master every recipe I've acquired so far. I've hit a serious ham bottleneck. Why is there such a ham shortage in Mondstadt. Is this why they eat pinecones.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Technically I guess I have a raw meat shortage, but since I'm converting it all to ham I consider it a ham shortage. It's cured! It's better for long-term storage! It should be more easily available for sale than raw meats! I should be able to steal hams from hilichurls! I murder all these hilichurls and I can't even steal their precious hams! :argh:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I've just been buying crabs every day when I do my rounds buying groceries (I spend a lot of my time in Liyue Harbor getting lost while trying to buy groceries). So far I run out of ham so fast I've never had the chance to get low on crab.

... I'm trying not to think about how long it's going to take me to get every recipe. :negative:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks to my determination to unlock the entire map as soon as possible I accidentally went through the Chasm backward. I got the statue and teleported away and then later when I was wandering through for unrelated reasons I ended up triggering some cutscenes in what I think was reverse order? The last one was when I was exiting which took me through the main path for the first time and they were like "hey be careful in there" and maybe referenced plot things that haven't happened yet. I'm not really sure how I did that. Maybe some of them didn't trigger the first time because I hadn't done any of the Liyue Harbor quests? I guess my version of Lumine has a very Mr Magoo vibe. Just wandering around and ending up in situations, fully oblivious to the danger.

The same thing is why I got the statue in Dragonspine so early, which reading the OP suggests was probably a mistake. Which explains why it was so hard to do! But at least that makes me feel better about never managing to thaw that one shard out. I still haven't gone back since the first time I gave up on it. I kept freezing and there was a time limit and it was hard. :(

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Xun posted:

You can do it! Once you're not in danger of just straight up dying from enemies and can actually explore the map, between the campfires, torches, seelies, weird lamp things, and teleporters, you're actually never that far from a source of warmth. Then you add the soup recipe that reduces cold buildup or a healer and it's really not that dangerous of a mechanic.

Oh, I managed to get a pretty good grasp of not accidentally freezing to death after I gave up on my initial strategy of setting myself on fire. I really didn't think I would freeze to death while burning, so that was a learning experience. But there's a challenge fight in Starglow cavern that I failed like five times before giving up in a huff and never going back. I could probably do better now but I've been pretty focused on hamquest.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Incoherence posted:

The one in the cavern with the 3 different enemy spawns locations? Yeah, that one's rough.

I finally did it! By being really overleveled because I haven't done the Adventure Rank quest to increase the world level. At least, I assume that's what happened.

Any sense of victory was fleeting, as I only just now realized that crafting condensed resin counts as using resin for the daily battle pass thingamawhatsit. So much wasted time and resin...

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Between hating phone controls, my old computer, and my lovely internet, combat can be... an ordeal. So this whole time I'd just been fighting the pyrovine over and over again when I wanted to use up my resin fast, because it seemed to die the quickest of all the bosses even when I'm having weird lag problems and can't switch characters. I would rather be farming the windy cube, but that guy takes me forever even under ideal circumstances.

I feel like the condensed resin will probably be a faster and more useful solution when I am simply Not In The Mood.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

dogsicle posted:

it will always be the bottom for feeling the most like a date
Wait, I did Noelle's first because I liked her best of the ones I could unlock at that point, are they not all like that?? I really enjoyed how mihoyo seemed to forget about Lumine thus allowing me to be very gay, or else irresistible to women. I was looking forward to a series of hangouts where straight men treat me like a bro and ostensibly straight women won't stop confusingly flirting with me, allowing me to really relate to Lumine because we have so much in common. :v:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

My internet was being extra lovely today and my favorite glitches resulting from the intense lag were:
  • Enemies kept spawning one at a time during commissions, which was very convenient.
  • One time Paimon yelled about treasure hunters (they stole my flowers) but they hadn't actually spawned so I just stood there for like three minutes until one showed up. The fact that she yelled "they're coming this way" made it seem like she'd spotted them down at the bottom of the mountain and then I just stood there while they huffed and puffed their way up to shovel dirt at me.
  • Hilichurls who tried to dig up slimes would instead dig up Nothing, which they then threw at me like dedicated mimes, to no effect.
  • I got one of those awful balloon protecting commissions but all the hilichurls with fire arrows spawned inside of their towers instead of on top of them, so their arrows did nothing but set themselves on fire.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I was very excited to meet an NPC voiced by ProZD today. "Hey, wait! I know you! We have a pre-existing parasocial relationship!! :buddy:"

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i like the theory that the traveller basically consumes the characters' essences and transforms into them rather than the characters actually traveling alongside them.

Thank you for posting this, I really like this theory and as someone who does not participate in any kind of fandom/fanon/etc for this game I probably would not have seen it! It adds a fun layer for me to play imagining that the reason Travelers like Lumine and Aether go so many places and meet so many people is because they have this ability to channel people they've known and let into their hearts so to speak. I am imagining it as a Ghost situation, where I'm seeing the character she's trying to embody but everyone else just sees Lumine. Then things like constellations, leveling up talents, etc. are all Lumine attempting to get more in tune with the person she's trying to channel (which is why they are always so much more powerful as NPCs in cutscenes). This also interacts in a really fun way with Zhongli treating the Traveler as a sort of keeper of memories, carrying the worlds and the people she's seen with her as she goes. :3:

Also it's very funny to imagine that Lumine is basically doing her best Jean impression but still can't resist using the windy powers to launch pigs.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

That goddamn windy cube :argh:

It's a good thing they don't sell hurricane seeds in the store because. I'd loving do it. I'm so sick of that dumb cube.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Shocked and offended to learn that no one on Etsy is selling skirts that look like the bottom half of an abyss mage :mad:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Why is this cat in the middle of nowhere?

Were the hilichurls I just killed... taking care of this cat?

:catstare:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Geo user with a catalyst that's just a regular rock that she brains people with.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I hate that map because it feels like it should be able to sync up to my account and automatically mark things as found. As it is, it doesn't seem to have any advantages over using a third-party map app.

I bought an adapter to let me hook my iPad up to the cheapo projector I have above my headboard. :3:

It actually looks a bit dogshit (because the projector is so cheap) but it's nice to know I have the option.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

:neckbeard:

Now if only those kids in Liyue would play literally any other variation of their pirate game. :sigh:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I was NOT aware that the civil law character yells lawyer things during battle. Now I have to level her just because it's funny. OBJECTION. INADMISSIBLE EVIDENCE. MOTION TO COMPEL. a++ no notes.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I can't tell if I'm doing okay for having only been playing a couple months, or if I should be trying harder to get more guys :ohdear: Listening to team optimization discussions usually has me sitting there like

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

For what it's worth I've been playing for awhile now and have more "good" comps than I have party preset slots for, and I still wish I had a Jean. So.

Early on when I refused to look anything up, I thought maybe they boosted odds for her in beginners' wish because every time I played anyone except Jean I would die extremely fast (I am very bad at video games and noticing when I am taking constant damage from fire, arrows, and fire arrows). Like she was the newbie character, for babies.

Thank you for reassuring me, everyone! I was worried that maybe I should be wishing more indiscriminately until I have a bigger stable of characters and weapons to choose from, but it's good to know my hoarding strategy is valid. I have been saving for characters that look cool because. When I play anyone except Jean I die extremely fast, still. :v:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Somehow did not realize that using windy powers on a dandelion causes the fluff to blow away while the seeds to remain on the stem. I've been chasing after what I thought were the seeds while mashing the button to pick them up. Lumine blowing on a dandelion and then frantically trying to snatch all the seeds she just blew away out of the air.

Do they ever explain who in Teyvat got crucified? Do the crosses represent the time Venti T-posed to establish dominance over death? What's the lore, here.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

So is there a way to visit someone else's Serenitea Pot to buy stuff without them being impacted at all by my Bad Internet Situation? That's the only thing from the battle pass weeklies that I never manage to do. I haven't done any kind of multiplayer or co-op because I assume it would just be unplayable for anyone involved.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The difference between trying to play the drums with a controller and just using the touchscreen is. DIRE.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I don't know if it's just because I'm bad at video games or what, but the amount of time the ruin serpent is paralyzed after destroying a goo lump does not seem worth the hassle.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I really really want Itto so I spent all my wishes and got Mona 😔

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

So far trying to get Itto has gotten me a C6 Gorou (I did not previously have Gorou) and a C3 Kuki. The odds of my being able to net a himbo before the banner ends are... slim.

Should I be saving my Starglitter to get constellations? I'd been using it for fate but idk if that's a bad move.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The Finn posted:

I will never be able to kill these 3 stupid mages and at this point I would rather be murdered irl than to hear their mocking laughter again

If it's the ones I'm thinking of, I brute-forced it by lowering my world level, not advancing my adventure level, and eating a bunch of damage boosting foods. I may have also used Xiangling because I recall her spinny fire hoops being super handy when it came to thawing myself out. However this is after I came back to them, I wandered off for a considerable amount of time to focus on Ham Quest.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

My favorite unvoiced cutscene moment was on a stormy island in Inazuma. Lumine got struck by lightning about halfway through, which knocked her off the edge of the cliff she was standing next to, which resulted in enough fall damage that she died. Except it was during a cutscene when everything was locked. So Paimon and Lumine were talking to this guy, and then suddenly there was a loud explosion and Lumine was gone leaving nothing but a scorchmark in the grass. But Paimon and the quest giver just kept chit-chatting away like the Traveler hadn't just spontaneously combusted.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Well now that's my favorite Genshin video genre, too.

A friend of mine who's been playing since launch told me I'm one of about ten people ey know who started playing when miHoYo got hit with lockdown. I wonder how many people did the same thing I did, and saw a bunch of stuff floating around about how Genshin was in trouble and players were worried or whatever and thought, "oh cool, I bet this means tons of appeasement freebies that aren't level-locked so I can get a bunch of OP poo poo as a beginner and finally see what all the fuss is about with minimal FOMO"

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

:negative:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Is there a good, up-to-date guide to which weapons and artifacts are good for which guys? I've just been going "well the one with the bigger number will go to the guy I like more" which I don't think is correct. Also I don't know how to tell if an artifact is good. I have a vague sense that for certain items you should find ones that boost a specific stat but I don't know how that works, so if I have two of the same 5 star artifact with different main stat boosts I pick one at random.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I still have a soft spot for Ella Musk because the first time I got one of her quests I was like, "okay, yeah, now we get the quest with the silly fantasy SJW who thinks you can talk to the monsters and I'm going to have to defend her as she is constantly attacked while running into danger and in the end we will all have a good laugh at how she thought the monsters were people instead of existing to kill or be killed :rolleyes: "

And then instead she was correct and the hilichurls seemed actively delighted to have someone they could speak to. They are definitely actually people with their own language and culture. And you just keep killing them anyway. :aaa:

I hate monoliths and anything with balloons. Defending balloons is worse than destroying balloons but I hate them both.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It would be nice if I could put on a hilichurl mask that stopped them from aggroing on sight. Keep napping! It's fine! I'm just trying to grab this guy's keys real quick, you don't have to get up!!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I'm getting a little FOMO but resisting the temptation to pull just for the sake of it (I blew a ton of wishes to get Itto because I wanted a himbo). Kazuha is cool but I don't think it makes sense for me to get another wimdy character when, as far as I can tell, I lucked out and got the only one that enables my playstyle. That being "sometimes I literally cannot switch characters and enemies don't register health loss due to lag, so I just need to frantically hit things with a stick and not die until the server catches up"

I did pull a couple just for the sake of it and got the new punchy guy almost immediately so that was nice.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Zenostein posted:

When you get lagfucked you're better off running circles around the dudes until the damage gets approved or whatever the gently caress the server does. Bit less likely to die that way.

In my case with Jean, lag does not prevent her from either losing or gaining health (rude), so Wind Companion means flailing wildly at all times results in my party always having max health. Early on in my game I didn't actually realize what was happening (flailing wildly at all times is just how I play video games) so I was very confused when I would swap to someone else and die very quickly. It turns out there's supposed to be consequences to being full of arrows and on fire constantly! Who knew. Not Jean.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

So here's a hosed up little thing I learned: Trounce domain reward flowers have a time limit. I got the download updated, beat the wolf and was about to collect it when I remembered I should do my wishes and add Kazuha and Heizou to my party so they can get the relationship points too. And then the thing despawned on me.
I learned this when I figured I had 28 resin and mistakenly assumed that by the time I finished fighting I would have 30. When I was wrong I figured I'd just stand around and wait until I had enough.

When I had 30 resin and closed my map the blossom was gone. :(

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Collei was one of the only ones I wanted on account of being a sucker for Lore, so if I can get her without rolling that's excellent news. That means I just have to try to get the tall guy and the only Sumeru character with any melanin whatsoever, which feels doable (famous last words before I somehow manage to get a C20 Gorou despite his not being on the banner)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I don't know if it rendered differently on beefy gaming rigs, but on my iPad the cutscene in the bar ended with a single rando standing there and slowly clapping. It felt so sarcastic I cracked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

So far my flailing with a stick strategy has worked for everything EXCEPT the goddamn golden wolflord. I've completed all the archon quests so far, beat all the trounce domain bosses, but I cannot for the life of me do poo poo to the golden wolflord. I was fine with that when the only one stuck at level 40 was the opera girl because as much as I like her I was never planning to play her much. But now I have Itto. And this goddamn spacewolf vexes and bedevils me. :argh:

I was meh about Kaz but I came around a little when he got wasted. :3: