Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nubby noob newb here, and haven't really played any MMOs since Guild Wars (which didn't count) nor F2P games other than Magic (which probably doesn't count). Tried this out 'cause I'm jonesin' for some more BotW, and while I don't experience this game as more than superficially similar to BotW, I enjoyed last night's sitting. The characters were usually endearing and the jokes landed surprisingly often.

I'm given to believe that F2P games tend to be generous with stuff early on and then grow increasingly tedious to do things as time goes on. While I wouldn't mind having more waifus/husbandos, I'm reasonably happy with Traveler / Amber / Lisa already.

If my primary goal is to experience additional narrated questlines or bosses with movesets I haven't encountered before, how arbitrarily gated am I likely to be?

I see that many things are locked behind AR level, but I don't know if that's to encourage grind which encourages spending money or if that's just how they maintain their JRPG quest progressions in an open world.

Also if I don't care too much about min/maxing can I just mash all the item upgrades I don't really understand onto the weapons I like and the level up books onto the characters I enjoy?

I fought a level 10 boss with party members being 8 / 4 / 2 / 2 because I didn't quite get how level up books worked at the time and I really enjoyed it. I tend to like games while I really have to scrape by on the fights and panic when I don't know what the enemy is telegraphing and lose interest on them once I start mowing down swaths of familiar mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for all the feedback. I suspect I will continue playing this game (as I did today) and just occasionally stop to evaluate if it feels burdensome. But thus far it's been nonstop active quests.

Space Opera posted:

Getting to AR 18 should also give you a free Babara, who is a great healer (as long as there aren't any cryo slimes or cryo archers around, then her healing skill becomes a liability).

She was my one random/guaranteed roll under the newbie banner after Noelle. Which I've already been actively told without soliciting such advice was unfortunate.

At least I have coverage for most of the elements, though. Sounds like at some point I'll also have too many folkums.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zgrowler2 posted:

Early to mid game, any healer is good, especially while you're still learning systems and mechanics. Barbara will do just fine.

I'm AR 12 or so and have yet to need any healing, other than once when I didn't realize I was standing in fire. Plus can't I just pause / back off and eat some food?

I've got lots of food.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neat! Used the last of my free thingers and Primos to roll the time-limited banner, got Bennett.

His character amuses me, and also he seems to be quite good.

I need to learn to read what the skills do in the menu 'cause I had no idea that his ult was a support thing.

Also I spent most of my morning putzing around with my level 10 characters in the level 30 ice area. Don't like that the game has a hard-cap on how high up those mountains you can climb.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

ITT: Every 5 star sucks, use Bennett.

As the leader of my rag-tag team of 6, I can get behind this sentiment.

Currently enjoying exploring the snowy mountains and the area just west of that with my AR 16 party but not entirely thrilled that it seems like bosses hard-reset after about 30 minutes if you haven't killed them, even if you were actively in combat with them at the time.

Got that third golem dude down to like 20% HP, too.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just unlocked the battle pass or whatever they call it and the Abyss.

Are there any penalties / time restrictions on attempting the Abyss now? Do failed attempts cost anything more than time?

And do I have to do anything special to fill out the battle pass stuff or will it just accumulate if I'm doing the other daily grind-style activities? Also must I remember to claim it at the end of its period or will it automatically hand out rewards?

Also scraped together the rest of my resources and rolled a Diona, so now I've got Bennett, Diona, Noelle, and Lisa. Seems like a solid comp though I'm not sure if Lisa makes the best carry; certainly spamming her special is a bit chatty.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for the feedback.

Can one only unlock so much Abyss stuff per run?

Like it says Defeat All Enemies with 90 / 120 / 210 seconds remaining. I beat it with 230 or so, and it only gave me the 1* reward. Did it even faster the next time and it only gave me the 2* reward.

Also I gotta figure out how to kill things way faster, unless the expected level for floor 2 is way higher than 30ish.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haha, mixed up my time units real good, I did.

Did a bit better after dinner, at least good enough to get Xiangling. I think I'm starting to get a better feel of combat in this game -- one should really be spamming special moves as fast as possible, huh? (Or at least, ice/fire and swirlies nonstop seemed to do me justice.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gandlethorpe posted:

Oh hey, Keqing banner starts today. Looks like I won't be wishing for a while.

Is that 'cause they're bad dudes or 'cause you already have 'em?

I don't have any character sensibilities nor particular aspirations -- I like usin' whichever group of folk seems best out of the people I do have. Though obviously I'm gonna roll bones when I've got 'em.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain France posted:

If any of that appeals to you or you want constellations for Bennet and Barbara, this is a good banner to pull on.

Gonna roll them bones, thanks!

Also two more questions: does the energy for ultimates or whatever they're called accumulate for characters who aren't currently fighting or must you definitely switch to them to fill up their meter?

And how does one rotate the camera using the mouse? I even searched the internet for that one and the closest I could get was middle-click to reset it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm starting to get the impression that I was supposed to do Liyue before the icy mountain place, as all the mobs here are much easier.

Oh well, more mountains to climb!

Did the floaty sky thing before I even talked to the deer guy. Gonna have to spend some time goin' through my inventory 'cause there were some nice boxes along the way.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

padijun posted:

dragonspine is the first land they actually added to the game, so it's tougher despite being in monstadt. bring a pyro character to light torches for warmth and melt enemy shields

I probably shouldn't've been doing that stuff before I'd even confronted Stormterror. But I like climbing mountains.

Just read the patch history chat and it was interesting and encouraging; if I lose interest in the game and come back after a while, there might be more mountains.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Right now I run with Xiangling main, Diona for shield + cryo and the occasional heal AoE, Benny for the real heals, and aero Traveler because I might misunderstand swirls but it seems to be good for triggering lots of elemental reactions.

I just got to the point where I could start Stand By Me and looked at the characters; it sounds like Chongyun would allow me to apply way more cryo than Diona and really go crazy with the melts.

Would that be a wowsa more melts upgrade to my party?

I figured it's either pick him or pick Xiangling for a constellation.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Araganzar posted:

Chongyun-Diluc-Bennet-Anemo is one of the best team comps for just about anything. Great AE with bursts and great single target just alternating between diluc and chongyun skill and burst. Donna cryo application is not consistent enough to keep up with Diluc. I used Xinqqui with Diluc though, if XQ is on the table I kind of feel he's a better support with your current comps but I'm not Professor Streamerwhale so take that with a grain of salt.

I actually did roll Xingqiu with the last of the stuff I got, didn't realize he was so useful. Sounds like I should give him some attention. I do not have Diluc (and assume he's not a freebie).

I'm startin' to see what the real sink of resources in this game is -- chasin' that dream team whale.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Good to have that context in mind. I suspect I'll run out of things I enjoy in this game far before I hit the level cap or C6s or anything like that, so I'll probably stick to my rag tag bunch o' bozos and give the icy boy a try.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just now got to the beloved City of Chores quest.

Assuming I have maybe 4 hours of play time between now and when the event ends, is that enough time to finish the Stand By Me stuff and get the free character?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How often do they do time-limited stuff like all this Lantern Rite jazz?

I think I might've enjoyed it if I'd been doing it casually kinda like the dailies, but since I just got to that area with like 5 days left I've been burning bright and button-mashing through the content as fast as possible to meet the deadline.

May've actually soured me on the game overall. Last night was productive, but it wasn't fun.

The tower defense stuff is kinda neat, but again, I'm gonna have to cram it into my schedule instead of do it when I'm inclined to.

City of Chores indeed.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Having never really played one, I seem quite bad at the tower defense minigame. Can't beat the second stage. Sadly, all internet searches I can come up with are either videos or copy-paste of the same template explaining what the mode is and how to get to it, but not how to actually do well in it.

Anyone got any tips as to how to do well in Genshin Defense?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for all the tips. Eager to give it another try.

Especially since I just now figured out how to upgrade the towers. Bunch of guides said it could be done, none of 'em said where/how. Having things not be level one should also help.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheFluff posted:

gone, thanks to an anonymous goon for taking it off my hands

Glad you were able to identify it as a problem for you and then extricate yourself from it.

I find it's healthy every now and then to take a step back and ask yourself why you're doing a thing.

I almost hit that point just tryin' to get Icy Boy before the deadline. Now I might do more tower defense or I might just climb some more mountains. Or maybe I got my two weeks out of the game and I'll move on for a bit; I do find it less compelling now that very few interactions are voiced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saxophone posted:

I.... I only launched 4 of the lanterns.

Mihoyo plz

I only launched 3, and I'm not sure how to do to the other 2.

Also not too worried about it.