Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Game:

A long awaited prequel to the beloved Deus Ex and significantly less beloved Deus Ex Invisible War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution starts during the infancy of cybernetic augmentation, and deals with many sociological and ethical issues that arise. Adam Jenson is the head of security at Sarif Industries, a leading cybernetics corporation, and after a particularly bad day he wakes up with roughly 75% of his meat replaced with like, cogs and batteries or something I don't know how this poo poo works.

The LP:

I'm going to drink heavily and punch people. Sometimes I might accidentally do a objective

Episodes:

Let's Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution Episode 1 - Full Of Sass And Beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Let me add a note to this LP. Everyone should see Robocop. The original film, not the remake. It is awesome. Thank you for your cooperation.

And thx to Danaru for putting out what I'm sure is and will be another great LP.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Always great to see you Dan!

achtungnight posted:

Let me add a note to this LP. Everyone should see Robocop. The original film, not the remake. It is awesome. Thank you for your cooperation.

And thx to Danaru for putting out what I'm sure is and will be another great LP.

I heard it's fascist cop propaganda.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ground floor. This game is great and I can't wait to see you go through it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Always great to see you Dan!

You heard wrong. See the movie, decide for yourself. Trust me, whoever told you that has a stupid agenda you should not support. If you follow their advice, you will miss out on great entertainment at the least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

It is 100% bold faced satire of the militarization of the police and the incestuous entanglement between corporations and cops--from the 1980s, no less. Whoever told you otherwise was clearly dense as a brick.

Also it's a really loving funny movie. Watch it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

People also think that Verhoeven's take on Starship Troopers was pro-fash. It's not, and it's another fine piece of violent satire that's worth checking out!

Looking forward to seeing this LP play out too! :)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

OK, so I'll be very interested to see at which point you switch from nonlethal to capping everyone in the head and throwing them into a dumpster for being so incredibly complicit in turbocrimes.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Ok, I'll be the nerd that annoys you by telling you stuff for this episode. "Deus Ex" is, to people that are big enough dweebs to hear latin phrases about drama, short for Deus Ex Machina. Grace is of course correct that Deus is "God", Ex is "from" and you can guess what Machina is. The original phrase refers to Greek dramas' habit of finishing off plot threads by having someone playing god lowered on a platform to be all What's up mortal bitches, I'm descending from on high to fix/ruin/end things! Suck divinity, turds! They probably just wanted the literal translation to evoke something greater than human being born of technology, although thinking back to the ending of the original Deus Ex you did have the option of becoming a techno god who shows up out of nowhere to fix/ruin the whole world I guess.

Also, seconding this re: Robocop.

nine-gear crow posted:

It is 100% bold faced satire of the militarization of the police and the incestuous entanglement between corporations and cops--from the 1980s, no less. Whoever told you otherwise was clearly dense as a brick.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Those boxes are worth more than your salary, which is why we are too cheap to give you anything to help you carry them"

All the focus on cyber spy thriller, and it's that poor bastard used as a throwaway joke that feels too real :smith:

It also makes me appreciate the delivery robot legs in death stranding even more, at least :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

nine-gear crow posted:

Sounds like the type of person who thought Starship Troopers was some kind of a pro-fascist film.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
A Robert Cop playthrough? I'd buy that for a dollar!

The Deus Ex series is one of my favorites, and even Invisible War (clearly the worst of them) had some redeeming parts. While I'll admit they've all had flaws, I can't say I've not enjoyed at least parts of all of them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Invisible War is not a terrible game, just mediocre; however, in a series filled with absolutely fantastic games, "mediocre" is nowhere nearly good enough.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This looks neat. I was wondering if you were going to show off what happens if you let the mission time out, which is the only thing I know about this game.

also the hoverjet has "boobee" written on the side

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Mikl posted:

Invisible War is not a terrible game, just mediocre; however, in a series filled with absolutely fantastic games, "mediocre" is nowhere nearly good enough.

If it hadn't been limited so severely by making it run on Xbox, I don't think it would have been as meh feeling.

That said, I'd do some pretty terrible things for Deus Ex and Invisible War to get the Resident Evil REmake treatment. Get a modern engine under Deus Ex's fantastic story, and more than 3 rooms before a loading zone trap breaks up the flow of an area for IW. Round out some of the mechanics that were more relics of their time, lift heavily from the Augment system from HR/MD (Freeform unlocks are a vast improvement over separated unlock + upgrade), and that'd be just the best.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pointlessone posted:

Invisible War (clearly the worst of them)
The original is the worst. By far.

Invisible War isn't even bad. It's not well-made, but it's a lot more accessible and fun than the original and even has some advantages over Human Revolution. And if you want to talk about bad loading times, I've never managed to finish Mankind Divided because of them. IW's load screens may be frequent, but MD had me sit and watch Jensen ride a train for literally ten minutes - I timed it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My only major problem with Invisible War was the ammo system being a complete pain in the rear end. It was a good idea on paper but in practice it just meant I was constantly scrounging for garbage.

I didnt have too much a problem with MD's loading screens since I have an SSD, but even with that it was just... not fun. I really cant even say specifically what sucked about it, everything that was fun in HR just felt like a chore in MD.

Breach is good

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

The original is the best. By far.

Fixed this for you

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The original game's reach far exceeds its grasp. There are a lot of cool ideas there and not one of them works well. It's awkward and unintuitive and hard to play - not in terms of intentional difficulty but in terms of figuring out how to interact with the game's systems. You can see what it's going for, but it consistently falls short in the most frustrating ways.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

I didnt have too much a problem with MD's loading screens since I have an SSD, but even with that it was just... not fun. I really cant even say specifically what sucked about it, everything that was fun in HR just felt like a chore in MD.

Even on an SSD they're weirdly long, though. But you're really hit the nail on the head with your assessment of the game otherwise. I've played through this one half a dozen times, including a perfect stealth no kill run and I couldn't even bring myself to playing through MD a second time to make the alternate choices.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm releasing this episode earlier than usual because it's more of an indication for newcomers of what to expect from a Dan and Grace LP :toot:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution Episode 2 - More Slowlier

Hope you guys didn't want a mercy run

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

expect from a Dan and Grace LP

Are there shenanigans? I'm betting there will be shenanigans.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I loved The Bit because it reminds me of my brother declaring "I solved the puzzle" when crouch walking under a laser or something later in this game.

Cartoonish ragdoll physics are also always funny :allears: I hope he likes it in space

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Bionic penis and red panda augmentation speculation, that's the essence of a Dan & Grace LP right there.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
One thing I appreciated about Invisible War was that factions had the decency and respect to lie to you about their goals, rather than Tracer Tong pitching you with, "I'd like you to kill yourself in order to end technological civilization and plunge the world into a new dark age, if it's not too much trouble."

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

The original game's reach far exceeds its grasp. There are a lot of cool ideas there and not one of them works well. It's awkward and unintuitive and hard to play - not in terms of intentional difficulty but in terms of figuring out how to interact with the game's systems. You can see what it's going for, but it consistently falls short in the most frustrating ways.

I know, I agree, and I don't care.

I'm one of those people that reinstall (and actually finish) the original every now and then. Like now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution Episode 3 - I Wanna Jump In The Garbage

They uh, sure did make some choices while going for voice direction

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Choices certainly were made for voice direction :stare:

Wrong details like that janitor's cart bug me a lot, so good job setting the record straight on that.

The painting looks kinda like Rembrandt's "The Anatomy Lesson of Dr Tulp", though it might be a different one, hard to tell. Definitely a painting depicting a dissection for the purpose of teaching doctors anatomy though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, if it's General O'Neill buying the Typhoon, he's probably getting it to fight some aliens pretending to be gods.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

An organisation literally called "The Humanity Front" has like a 98% chance of being a hate group.

I played this game when it first came out and I was like "Oooooh this is some nuanced debate, it raises some interesting questions!" But I've since figured out I'm queer and yeah, no, gently caress those guys.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It always felt like the new HR/MD writers (especially in MD) were trying to make mech-aug folks kind of like a racial thing instead of a class thing, and the question of basically having to get them for your work/survival (either because only augs can do the physically demanding job or because of some OSHA.txt stuff happening way too often) and ending up depending more on corporations wasn't ever looked at.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Yeah, the only way most people could afford augmentation, let alone the anti-rejection drugs, would be through corporate "sponsorship".

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
If being queer means I can fire ball bearings out of my spine I signed up in the wrong line, is all I'm sayin'

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Agreed, trying to make people undergoing voluntary augmentation for physical enhancement a stand-in for a marginalized racial/ethnic/religious/sexual minority didn't work at all. The class analysis was far more salient, but there was never any explanation of the economics of augmentation. Is Sarif subsidizing installation at LIMB clinics in order to sign people up for a lifetime of anti-rejection drugs? Humanity Front's message that "maybe having mutilation of our bodies (with a side of dependency on patented pharmaceuticals) be the next front in the arms race and worker competition is in fact bad" would actually be compelling if they ever bothered to articulate it that way. But they never do, IIRC, it's just some vague pablum about purity and the need for regulation.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 23, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dunno if it's just me but I read the allegory in HR to be totally about class an the usual cyberpunk corporations gone wild stuff. MD, however, leaned into the race metaphor way harder.

Also since Meghan was our ex-girlfriend a good while before the start of the game, I keep thinking that there's a really good joke to be made about Jensen getting fitted with a printer implant so he can forever carry one for her. But I can't quite find the right words.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution Episode 4 - Surprise!

I'M A GOOD PERSON WHY EVERYBODY ALWAYS SHOOTING AT ME

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The ultimate reason people are afraid of augments. I'd be pretty upset if some rogue cyborg stole my fridge.

I mean, not shoot them mad, that is just unreasonable.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Holy crap, Dan. :stare:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Dan is a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is why I love this game. I wish it was all this and it didn't keep making you go on missions. They could have put more stuff in the hubs to randomly stumble into and more people to harass/knock out/murder. More side quests to accidentally complete before you even knew they existed!