Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad we're slowly learning more details about a lost society's dongs.

if our dongs are studied so intently by future archeologists and historians it will be a form of immortality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

the gently caress kind of manual labor do you have to be enslaved to for it to completely gently caress your back by age 18-23?

Life expectancy of most Roman slaves was kind of... terrible. But since for a good chunk of its existence, ready sources of new slaves were always there, you just got new ones when they wore out.

General population decline, and foreign wars no longer bringing in new sources of slaves is thought to be one of the reasons serfdom eventually came to replace agricultural slavery in the Roman (and post-Roman) world,

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

if our dongs are studied so intently by future archeologists and historians it will be a form of immortality

A man's not dead while his dick pics are still in circulation?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
https://vintagenewsdaily.com/ancient-romans-carried-flying-penis-amulets-to-ward-off-evil/

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
There are four deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time. The fourth is when you dingus is no longer seen by future societies.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jose posted:

Tiny dick and a slave talk about owned

Tiny dicks were actually considered good back then- they thought if you had a big ol' dong you were basically a big dumb animal and not a cool human with brains and civilization. That's why all the old statues are hung like a hedgehog.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can you imagine what future archeologists are going to think about the stuff bad dragon produces?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

under normal circumstances silicone doesn't petrify, it liquefies. were it not for the labrea cum pits we would know next to nothing about the physiology of these remarkable "bad dragons"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Puppy Time posted:

Tiny dicks were actually considered good back then- they thought if you had a big ol' dong you were basically a big dumb animal and not a cool human with brains and civilization. That's why all the old statues are hung like a hedgehog.

ahem, only the ancient greeks liked tiny dongs. it might have something to do with them being pedophiles. the chad ancient romans loved big dongs

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Olewithmilk posted:

Would you like to be mummified by a pyroclastic blast with your outer genetalia visible or invisible? Please, please let me know.

Well since you asked, after careful consideration I would be ok with my boobs captured for posterity in a pyroclastic medium bc I think it would be pretty cool to have people 2000 years after I died be like, "drat, she had a nice rack."

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Albert in a can posted:

Well since you asked, after careful consideration I would be ok with my boobs captured for posterity in a pyroclastic medium bc I think it would be pretty cool to have people 2000 years after I died be like, "drat, she had a nice rack."

its a big risk because what if the standard for nice tits changes so archaeologists always have to be like "they were good at the time"

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Until there's a fossil of a man prone on his stomach with his small dick in his hand and a fossilized fart/poo poo cloud emerging from his rear end, I will not believe Pompeii happened, because you void your bowels when you die.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

I mean they did. Gods did poo poo like volcano eruoptions, storms and droughts, because the gods were fickle and you had to do your best to appease them through ritual and sacrifice. Natural disasters happening didn't make people question the existence of the gods or whether they had abandoned them, stuff like that happening was more in the vein, "oh poo poo, here come the gods again", and you didn't abandon people to the mercy of gods' anger, you'd probably try to help and do your best to keep the gods as happy as possible going forwards, but you always knew that you just couldn't totally know what would work and what wouldn't, because you know, fickle.

Saying people "didn't turn to theism" is also pretty ignorant I think, when you're talking about societies that did not really distinguish that strongly between the mortal world and the divine, people probably didn't even really think question the gods, because as they saw it they were evident in everything happening around them.

edit: The ancient Romans were even remarked upon by others for how religious they were (and the Romans saw this as a mark of pride), but you have to realize that you aren't really talking about belief, dogma and disciplines, it's pretty much all ritual, sacrifice and reverence, that's the important part, belief is completely inconsequential (and taken for granted as noted above, if you didn't believe "what you could plainly see" you'd be a fool).
This fact is basically why the Romans came to see the Christians as such a threat to the established order, because they denied the existence of the gods, they were atheists, who refused to partake in the rituals giving sacrifice and reverence to the gods and therefore could potentially put their whole society at risk. The Jews did the same, but since Judaism was so old, the Romans figured they could tolerate them (and Jews would often agree to sacrifice to the emperor's spirit or some such compromise in place of the gods), because that made it good in their book, anything old had to be some degree of good.

hey thanks for calling me 'pretty ignorant' when the end result of your pointless drivel was exactly the same as the point I was making; that they didn't run home crying to the gods about it because they realized that in one way or another the gods weren't helping or had/had not abandoned them. Dick.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Chief McHeath posted:

Until there's a fossil of a man prone on his stomach with his small dick in his hand and a fossilized fart/poo poo cloud emerging from his rear end, I will not believe Pompeii happened, because you void your bowels when you die.

Death was so quick the poops were baked inside them.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Robo Reagan posted:

its a big risk because what if the standard for nice tits changes so archaeologists always have to be like "they were good at the time"

I'll take what I can get.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You're living your upper-middle-class day to day life in what essentially amounts to Los Angeles.

And then you get loving vaporized in an ash cloud while masturbating or loving your slave.

Two THOUSAND years later the empty shell of what was once your body is filled with plaster and is revealed to the world with polite golf-claps.

We humans are so, so god damned wonderful. Take time to appreciate how we're all the same hosed up idiots, forever, sometimes, folks. It's great. :)

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Big Beef City posted:

hey thanks for calling me 'pretty ignorant' when the end result of your pointless drivel was exactly the same as the point I was making; that they didn't run home crying to the gods about it because they realized that in one way or another the gods weren't helping or had/had not abandoned them. Dick.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Go rub some oil out to your lares pleb

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The idea being, your average roman citizen would have given as much thought about offering up and paying homage to the lares as a catholic does to praying the rosary and would have done the same for Pompeii, they didn't turn tail and hide in the shadow of gods and mysticism like many might expect a culture such as that to do, if you have no previous knowledge of it. Instead, they worked dutifully to offer relief and did what they could to offer support to the suffering in a material way, rather than just retreating into a "Oh Jupiter Deus why hast thou forsaken us" mindset. That was my only point, to demonstrate that they were being practical, worldly, and helpful rather than cowering in some kind of 'Woe are we' spiritual ascetic.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Incontinentia Buttocks

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

*unveiling the plaster cast of me on the toilet*
This man spent his lest moments on the throne, possibly issuing orders to his servants.
that as well as his well fed physique clearly mark him as an aristocrat or other important person.
as to why he is holding aloft his fists there is still lively discussion.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Rutibex posted:

ahem, only the ancient greeks liked tiny dongs. it might have something to do with them being pedophiles. the chad ancient romans loved big dongs

With dongs like these I don't think I'd like to be the giver or the receiver.. :(

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Priapus was a Greek figure as well, man. He hated donkeys because one's braying made him lose his boner once, and was cursed with impotence and stupid dirty thoughts by Hera.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat ancient history nerd civil war in the roman cocks thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The herculaneum bar sounds like it has great service

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Skratte posted:

Priapus was a Greek figure as well, man. He hated donkeys because one's braying made him lose his boner once, and was cursed with impotence and stupid dirty thoughts by Hera.

It is funny that Hera turned a guy into a donkey fucker since her husband would turn into a donkey to gently caress women on the down-low.

Greek civilization sure was weird, glad those perverted days are behind us. *goes to DeviantArt*

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Me, frozen in time forever whilst posting.

Eons later, as I am revealed to the public, curators have looked into the past at 'fashions of the period' and dressed me in checkered Ska shorts, a day-glow neon T, and backward baseball cap that simply says 'gnarly' on it.
They are not wrong.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Bula Vinaka posted:

Gladiator barracks: On April 19th, I made bread

I'm going to assume this means wacking off

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I figured it was a bun in the oven sort of deal

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The best part is, we'll never know and that wonder is the fun of it.

Most likely though that one is literal. In Roman cities they had numerous public 'stations' of ovens where you'd come and, literally, make your bread for the day/week/what have you. So there's a pretty drat good chance that person actually just made a note saying "Hey, this is the last time I made bread over here".

The reason they had these was not only for a general public service, but because the apartment complexes that the general urban poor lived in were exceptionally prone to burning the gently caress down constantly, so it seemed a better idea to just make specific places made for public baking and use rather than have Joe Dipshitius constantly burning his entire neighborhood to death because he wanted a sandwich.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 22, 2020

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

The best part is, we'll never know and that wonder is the fun of it.

Most likely though that one is literal. In Roman cities they had numerous public 'stations' of ovens where you'd come and, literally, make your bread for the day/week/what have you. So there's a pretty drat good chance that person actually just made a note saying "Hey, this is the last time I made bread over here".

The reason they had these was not only for a general public service, but because the apartment complexes that the general urban poor lived in were exceptionally prone to burning the gently caress down constantly, so it seemed a better idea to just make specific places made for public baking and use rather than have Joe Dipshitius constantly burning his entire neighborhood to death because he wanted a sandwich.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

drat you got me

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Big Beef City posted:

Pliny the Younger in his letter to Tacitus posted:

People bewailed their own fate or that of their relatives, and there were some who prayed for death in their terror of dying. Many besought the aid of the gods, but still more imagined there were no gods left, and that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness for evermore. (...) I could boast that not a groan or cry of fear escaped me in these perils, but I admit that I derived some poor consolation in my mortal lot from the belief that the whole world was dying with me and I with it."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yes notice the "no gods left" part? And how Rome sent relief fleets to aid the survivors instead of curling up into a ball? Which is exactly what I was talking about? It's that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The people of Pompeii worshipped Space Moose, and so the gods smote them for their sins.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No joke that letter from Pliny the Younger to Tacitus is a huge loving bummer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

I still think the "didn't turn to theism" comment is ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Why are we so intense it’s Sunday and I’m stoned.