Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
[edited for being depressing]
Ah I haven't eaten for 30 hours +, that really isn't good. Just so busy but i have 5 hours before work starts so I guess I better get started planning something to eat.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

prayer group posted:

excellent bird guy came back, it's a thanksgiving miracle

Hah that account want meant to be a one off, I didn't intend for it to be my main account.
Anyway I had 2 subways for Thanksgiving, so happy. All the grocery stores were CLOSED

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm so hungry, I'm eating barbeque sauce on a plate and licking it up. This sucks, even in the city everything is closed at 10pm. Kansas City sauce, by the way.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What does this thread thing about bone broth? If you buy a lot of chicken feet you could make a warming chicken noodle soup in the crockpot overnight.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Chemmy posted:

Bone broth is a stupid term for idiots.

i used to save all my bones in a ziplock in the freezer and when the bag was full id let it sit in the crockpot for a few days then strain. Those were fun times

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am keeping my pickle juice. What do i do with it? Please don't say popsickles

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
pickle juice fried cabbage?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
you can cook anything, literalyl!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

So whoever recommended for me to get this book, thanks! I was reading Chapter 1: The Basics of Cooking.
The very first page it says there is this thing called 'food born pathogens" and it can cause food related illnesses, but can be avoided. A lot of cooks are fanatical about kitchen cleanliness. So I think that's something I'm going to have to take seriously. I mean I took microbiology in college but I forgot a lot of it, I know H. Pylori is a thing. I'm going to keep reading this book but today I'm going to clean my pans.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I drank some of the pickle juice, it was good. All I have to eat is a stick of butter left and I could feel like it would make you a little sick by eating too much, but the pickle juice balances it out.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

Eat real food please. Even subway sandwiches are better than a meal consisting of only butter and pickle juice, and that bread technically counts as cake.

Buy some Jimmy John's day-old bread for $0.50, buy sliced ham and cheese, add butter for poor man's delicious sandwich.

Well all the stores are closed and I am working 11am-11pm, I can't get there before work or after work. When I eat its poo poo like this which honestly I'd rather just not eat then spend this money, just on basic principles.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

Working 12 hour days sucks for getting poo poo done, no shade or shame.

But eating pickles and butter sucks worse. I'd bet Doordash + deli meat and cheese once a week will be cheaper than your fast food meals, or find a way to wake up an hour early and go out before work once a week :shrug:

I've heard of Door Dash, I put it on my phone and will give it a try next time.

My truck is in the shop. Would it be weird to get an uber to the grocery store, and upon my return home put a lot of grocery bags in the back of the car? How do people without vehicles get groceries

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

bloody ghost titty posted:

Enough shitposting tell me about how the Grandmother works as a stand-alone, I hear it’s great as a filter bank/spring reverb module

You can ask me in the synth thread. :topic:
Just made a lot of pork chops, the boringest of foods. But appetizing.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I havent cooked anything for christmas. I am at my family's eating peanut butter sandwiches. Not even any jelly.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

I was wondering about you, actually! Go find some honey and bananas for them sammies

Friend of family made this for me

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Whats a good way to prepare a ham for christmas? It goes in the oven, I was just going to pour the pack in syrup on it.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Happy New Years GWS, I'd like to branch out and start using the oven more, I think, in 2021.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I've been reflecting on all the goons with spoons posts and threads. I 100% want to improve. I think if I start using my Insant Pot instead of the typical oil+spice+stuff, that I'll see an upgrade in quality. I'm sure there is an instantpot thread in here somewhere to study.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have one. Stopped using it for a long time because it wouldn't keep pressure. After getting a new ring, that fixed the issue.
I just don't know what to do. Might not just do the pressure cooker but start on page 1 of a cookbook and go through it to make anything reasonable.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Instant Pot sure, not a magic bullet. But I basically make small variations of the same thing every time I make anything. I think instantpot will at least provide a conduit for some variety. Guess I'll be lurking the pressure cooker thread to see what i can come up with.

BTW I've always wanted to make eggplant parm, but that's a lot harder than it sounds.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My grandmother left cheese out, it went stale and hard. We can't convince her to throw it out. She just keeps microwaving it every day. It's this sad puddle of cheese that I'm grossed out by.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

enki42 posted:

If you want a good easy Instant Pot recipe, I made this last night and it's both super good and the epitome of "throw poo poo in the pot, set it to 20 minutes". It has a few not super standard spices (star anise mostly) but everything should be readily available at most grocery stores.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Oh nice. I could do that minus the chai spices. I'm in a small town in the south right now, so if it's not available at Wal Mart I really can't get it. Also don't really feel like Amazon-ing it up for spices at the moment. But I'm sure spices are just for taste and I have plenty of the regular ones to enjoy to bulk of the meal with.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

enki42 posted:

Hmm, normally I'd say yeah but the spices are pretty key in pho. You'll probably have a tasty chicken soup either way, but it will be noticeably different.

At a bare minimum (not that it's a spice, but still a key ingredient) I would say fish sauce is an absolute must or else it's just a fundamentally different thing you're making. Star anise is definitely the hardest to find, and I think you'd be able to make something passable by putting in a bit more fennel seed, if you can find that.

I have some Healthy Boy thai fish sauce. A lot of those spices I have out in the garage, where they've been sitting for years. I know I have fennel out there. Green Cardimom too. I'd just use the fish sauce, garlic, ginger, tumeric, ceyenne, and call it a day. If you would see how I am eating now, you'd probably understand.
Also I am only cooking for myself, not others. And I don't particularly even care how food tastes as long as it fills me up and has good nutrients.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have a big rack of ribs, How do I cook them without going outside to freeze over the charcoal grille? Maybe an instant pot ?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I watched one of my internet friends make ramen from scratch for over an hour. It was like, really complicated. The ramen itself is a mix of all these different types of flours, then ran it through a noodle press. Not sure what all he did, but stock from pork necks were involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

e: gently caress I almost replied, not this time

Um what? Anyway, making ramen by hand looked like a ton of work. Nothing I'm interested in but he seems to enjoy it.