Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You're raising a coprophiliac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lmao if you can make pasta from scratch but not operate the forums to upload a pic

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Standard box graters fit nicely into a 6 pan

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Any recs for interesting beer brewing books? My BIL loves making beer and brewing so not like a "how to brew beer" book, but something a little more in depth and interesting? He's at the level of looking into which types of hops he's planting in spring if that helps.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You can also microwave a reese's

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bad proctologist was a great costume and I made a girl puke

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you don't care about the food you make why would you post in a "caring about food you make " venue?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have never tested any extruder (just rollers) but conventional wisdom that I have heard from others with experience is that if you spend less than about 2k on an extruder you're wasting money buying frustration.

Edit: sorta like I'll never buy a meat grinder that's at least .5 HP and all steel

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If it was a robot coupe, you'd know.

There really is a separate tier for professional equipment and for home use some are worth the jump and some aren't.

For 98% of home users a cuisinart will do everything you'd use a robot coupe for. You'll save several hundred dollars.

On the other hand id recommend not buying a blender until you can afford a vitamix. You'll spend 100 extra dollars on the best blender manufacturered.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Chocolate marquise is my go to impressive easy dessert

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Heston blumenthal has that chili recipes where it takes 3 days and you make stock 3 times and use like 25# of meat

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Do a dill hollandaise

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Meat is binary it is either meat or not-meat

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

we finally got around to getting some black cardamom and man this is probably my favorite spice, any particular dishes this is known to be used in?

Cardamom is pretty good in pureed roasted vegetable soups like carrot or butternut

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

How, uh, granular do you want to get with your answer?

One

prayer group posted:

Your iodized salt does have other things in it (iodine, namely), but it doesn't make it less salty.

It makes it less salty by volume, but it's probably undiscernable

Edit: missed the last page

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 21, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

SubG posted:

I don't know a supplier for real wasabi as a bulk spice, but if you're real serious about it and live in a reasonably cool environment you can grow your own. Like most edible rhizomes, if you have the conditions it likes they're pretty easy plants to take care of.

I've always heard much the opposite, that real wasabi is extremely difficult and expensive to grow and that's why the green horseradish is so ubiquitous. I remember reading something about how the only domestic producer of wasabi in the us (in oregon) had an electric fence and a loving moat to ward off espionage.

Have you done it? What's your secret? I have a pleater box where I killed all my thai basil and can plant something else.

Anne Whateley posted:

Factually incorrect. The virus is destroyed when it's heated to 150° for 3 minutes. (source) Fridge and freezer temperatures actually preserve the virus for weeks. (source)

If you want to take the risk, of course you can make your own choices, but imo we should be accurate that not everything is equally safe.

the hands that touch both the cooked food and the sushi have likely not been heated to 150º for three minutes, and if covid is present they're likely the source.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 27, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Panade helps make them springy too

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Idk why you keep getting banned from other sections of the forums but posting off topic stuff here because you're banned from there isn't the solution.

Knitting takes a long time and posting "blanket for sale" takes about 30 seconds if you include the time it takes for a photo so you're ripping your aunt off. Ask her to make you dinner once a month for listing her stuff online and you're still coming out ahead.

I get that times are rough right now but leveraging your retired aunt's hobby for income is pretty... not a good look.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 9, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

Honestly I'm not sure how chat threads can get derails anyway, we talk about plenty of not-cooking things. Although to be fair they're usually just casual shoot the poo poo kind of things, not "help me create an etsy store"

I mean I understand the concept of chat thread but "how do I best profit from my aunt's labor" doesn't scream "food chat" at me personally and isn't the content I came here for

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Popcorn is actually bad, no matter how good the seasoning
Mindphlux got banned but this is allowed

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got shut out of scouts when I was like 8 because weeblos were "full" and never looked back

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Local Reno wines are traditionally made with California grapes (posting from Reno rn actually, since I still live here part time.). There's a place on 4th street called Great Basin that gets their grapes from Amador County, which is the traditional way wine was made here. The old Italian and Basque families used to make all of their own wine, you see, and they would organize big convoys to go over the sierras during the crush to pick up grapes and bring them back.

Northern Nevada is really tough for grapes though due to the cold winter and short season, never mind the aridity. Some growers have had luck with riesling but that's about it. I've been involved with several local growing attempts both privately and at UNR, and it's just never become commercially viable.

However, since you live in Reno and are looking for inexpensive wine, I can easily suggest Trader Joe's and Total Wine for lots of options at your price point. The locally owned places like Whispering Vine are great, but they don't really do inexpensive wine. Also, there's a wine special (like an all-night happy hour) at Royce on Wednesday nights if you just want to try a glass or two of something new.

My family grows wine grapes in amador county

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I can't remember if I had beyond or impossible but it tasted like someone had frozen and thawed a beef patty a dozen times before cooking it

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have a hard time trusting food recommendations from people who don't know if they're using a pallet, a palette or their palate.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't know or understand what that is but I do think it's extremely stupid, aggressively

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Are you adding anything else sweet? Tomatillos are super tart in my experience

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Apropos of nothing, my secret ingredient in chili verde is charring some ginger with the garlic

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Do you peel the ginger before charring it?

No.
and if I have whole garlic it doesn't get peeled either

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

The food processor method is also super fast obv, but the real advantage for me is not grating my knuckles. Microplanes thirst for blood almost as much as mandolines imo

Use it upside down

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What I really need is a device that will allow me to peel hot potatoes without burning my hands.

Like a food mill?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I've noticed that too; went to boil some eggs for a Japanese style sandwich two weeks ago, and two of them were floaters.

Eggshells aren't airtight but they're watertight, they evaporate through the shell during storage. The less water inside, the more they float

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I was in high school when 9/11 happened and I worked on the school newspaper and we had one kid who started every article he wrote with "in a post 9/11 world,"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Feliday Melody posted:

How long can I dry brine pork?

I put a slab of pork in an open plastic container. Sprinkled it with salt flakes and pepper (yesterday). I was going to barbecue it today but had to skip it due to rain. Tomorrow could be a long work day. Is it good for a third day if stored in the fridge?

That's totally fine

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Gross, gross, gross, 🤢

Blending banana, coconut milk, and some coffee is really good

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
One of my very early chef mentors harbored an absolute HATRED for white pepper, and would always say that it tasted like a powder made from human bones. I never minded it myself but it rarely occurs to me to use it

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Honestly, I do too. It's just a neat thing it can do if for whatever reason you'd rather them not be visible.

Hey is there some kind of extract I can get or make to add more black pepper flavor without adding that uhh picante element? I don't have a problem with the heat from black pepper generally but if I want to have huge huge pepper flavor that has always meant more of that heat and I want to have the strongest drat black pepper flavor there is. What's up

I've made balsamic reduction with a shitload of peppercorns in it and it got nice and fruity. Still had spicy though

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Dripping off of a seasoned roast will make it taste better but it's also rendered beef fat

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Modern battery farmed chickens have been bred to gain weight quickly and have huge breasts. "Heritage" breeds are much closer to wild chickens that could actually live outside of a battery farm.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Double it.... DOUBLE IT! DOUBLE IT !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

signalnoise posted:

How about a steak doneness tester that is a thing you place on a steak while it's in the skillet that has a pressure sensor, sort of like a specific gravity hydrometer for alcohol content. TV keeps telling me to press a steak while it's in the pan to see how done it is, so why not have this thing you put on the raw steak to register its raw firmness and then when you wanna know how done it is, put the thing back on it and wait a second for it to be like "it's too firm you hosed it up yet again, you loving donkey"

If you're going to buy a fancy device to cook steak to a specific doneness just get an immersion circulator instead of something that you have to repeatedly transfer hot greasy steaks to and from a grill/pan onto