Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Holyshoot posted:

You should probably upgrade from an early 2000s plasma tv as your computer monitor. Lmao.

It's a known and unresolved issue for several years on monitors above 1080p, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

It's a known and unresolved issue for several years on monitors above 1080p, lol.

Maybe avoid buying black friday monitors :shrug:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
As someone who had never played either game I played OSRS because it was on mobile, then I discovered via this thread that RS3 was also on mobile so I switched to that, and the amount of QoL stuff they added is just staggering. I can actually get everywhere without trying to string together a half dozen different transportation methods and wearing weight reducing clothing so I can run for longer than 10 seconds at a time! I can actually play the game instead of waiting to walk to the next opportunity to play the game!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GetDunked posted:

As someone who had never played either game I played OSRS because it was on mobile, then I discovered via this thread that RS3 was also on mobile so I switched to that, and the amount of QoL stuff they added is just staggering. I can actually get everywhere without trying to string together a half dozen different transportation methods and wearing weight reducing clothing so I can run for longer than 10 seconds at a time! I can actually play the game instead of waiting to walk to the next opportunity to play the game!

Yup, two years and change of OSRS on mobile and I recently jumped to RS3 on desktop (iOS user not in the beta). Eagerly awaiting a broader beta group or final release so I can get back to playing on my iPad, but really enjoying the change of scenery and pace.

Edit: I just discovered bonfires for training firemaking holy poo poo

Ferg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 14, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
rs3 is the semi idle game that it should be. osrs is for clicking 28 logs at a time for 8 hours

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I haven't played this game in 13-14 years where do I even begin to get back into it(rs3)? I guess here is a screen of my stats from the last time I played all the new stuff like dungeoneering is level 1 or close enough to make no difference.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

shirunei posted:

I haven't played this game in 13-14 years where do I even begin to get back into it(rs3)? I guess here is a screen of my stats from the last time I played all the new stuff like dungeoneering is level 1 or close enough to make no difference.

Should start with some quests. Unlock the quality of life improvements and get an introduction to the new skills.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Should start with some quests. Unlock the quality of life improvements and get an introduction to the new skills.

What quality of life improvements are ideal to tackle early on? I've been chipping away at quests. Coming from OSRS I'm finding that Faerie Rings, increasing magic to get teleports, etc for fast travel isn't remotely as important in RS3.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ferg posted:

What quality of life improvements are ideal to tackle early on? I've been chipping away at quests. Coming from OSRS I'm finding that Faerie Rings, increasing magic to get teleports, etc for fast travel isn't remotely as important in RS3.

Surge at level 30 magic for quick movement. The lodestone network. The level 5 Archeology relic from the Arch tutorial for +500 hp and the infinite digsite teleport book. Get 10 early boss kills to buy the War's Retreat teleport (no runes required, easy access to a bank).

Unlocking the Tuska's Wrath and Sacrifice abilities from the anima islands minigame is also a good idea. They're free (takes like 4 perfect rounds to unlock each, 5-6 if you're sloppy). Tuska's Wrath hits 100x your slayer level on monsters while on task and is useful for afk revolution setups otherwise. Sacrifice heals you for 25% of the damage dealt (100% if the ability kills the target)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ferg posted:

I'd say the most important milestones to hit, for every player are to (a) get access to Menaphos via Jack of Spades, which I think is really a goal for people with level ~20-30 in most skills, and (b) get access Prifidinas via Plague's End which has a ton of level ~75 requirements. The other Big drat Deal thing, to a certain extent, is to complete the megaquest Recipe for Disaster, which ahas a poo poo ton of rewards.

Beyond that, the important quest series to complete to really progress the story (and get a ton of xp, unlocks, and items) are:
- Elf: https://runescape.wiki/w/Elf_quest_series
- Myreque: https://runescape.wiki/w/Myreque_quest_series

Quests that are pretty mandatory for specific skills:

Agility - Monkey Madness
Construction - Love Story
Cooking - Family Crest
Divination - Children of Mah
Dungeoneering - Salt in the Wound
Invention - Back to the Freezer, Death to the Dorgeshuun
Magic - Desert Treasure, Light Within, Lunar Diplomacy
Prayer - Light Within, Ghosts Ahoy, Temple at Senntisten
Ranged - Animal Magnetism
Runecrafting - Hero's Welcome, Lunar Diplomacy, Mourning's End Part II, 'Phite Club
Slayer - Smoking Kills
Smithing - Family Crest
Thieving - Buyers and Cellars

Other quests that unlock important stuff:

Daily $$$ - As a First Resort

Additional Teleports/Transportation - Branches of Darkmeyer, Eadgar's Ruse, Eagle's Peak, Enlightened Journey, Evil Dave's Big Day Out, Eyes of Glouphrie, A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen, Ghosts Ahoy, Giant Dwarf, Grand Tree, Jack of Spades, Love Story, Mighty Fall, Missing, Presumed Death, Path of Glouphrie, Plague City, Plague's End, Prisoner of Glouphrie, Shilo Village, Tree Gnome Village, Troll Stronghold, Watchtower, The World Wakes

QoL Improvements - Deadliest Catch, Dealing with Scabaras, Desperate Times, A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift, Fate of the Gods, Garden of Tranquility, Legends' Quest, Nomad's Elegy, One Small Favour, Sliske's Endgame, The World Wakes

Recurring XP - Back to my Roots, Fur 'n Seek, Hunt for Red Raktuber, In Pyre Need, Mighty Fall, Shadow over Ashdale, Tears of Guthix, What Lies Below

Endgame Gear - Broken Home, The Dig Site, Merlin's Crystal, One Piercing Note, Shadow of the Storm, The World Wakes

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also do The Needle Skips because it's really really good

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
The only quest you ever need to do is the bacon one.

Themata fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 16, 2020

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
:mods:

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Toshimo posted:

I'd say the most important milestones to hit, for every player are to (a) get access to Menaphos via Jack of Spades, which I think is really a goal for people with level ~20-30 in most skills, and (b) get access Prifidinas via Plague's End which has a ton of level ~75 requirements. The other Big drat Deal thing, to a certain extent, is to complete the megaquest Recipe for Disaster, which ahas a poo poo ton of rewards.

Beyond that, the important quest series to complete to really progress the story (and get a ton of xp, unlocks, and items) are:
- Elf: https://runescape.wiki/w/Elf_quest_series
- Myreque: https://runescape.wiki/w/Myreque_quest_series

Quests that are pretty mandatory for specific skills:

Agility - Monkey Madness
Construction - Love Story
Cooking - Family Crest
Divination - Children of Mah
Dungeoneering - Salt in the Wound
Invention - Back to the Freezer, Death to the Dorgeshuun
Magic - Desert Treasure, Light Within, Lunar Diplomacy
Prayer - Light Within, Ghosts Ahoy, Temple at Senntisten
Ranged - Animal Magnetism
Runecrafting - Hero's Welcome, Lunar Diplomacy, Mourning's End Part II, 'Phite Club
Slayer - Smoking Kills
Smithing - Family Crest
Thieving - Buyers and Cellars

Other quests that unlock important stuff:

Daily $$$ - As a First Resort

Additional Teleports/Transportation - Branches of Darkmeyer, Eadgar's Ruse, Eagle's Peak, Enlightened Journey, Evil Dave's Big Day Out, Eyes of Glouphrie, A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen, Ghosts Ahoy, Giant Dwarf, Grand Tree, Jack of Spades, Love Story, Mighty Fall, Missing, Presumed Death, Path of Glouphrie, Plague City, Plague's End, Prisoner of Glouphrie, Shilo Village, Tree Gnome Village, Troll Stronghold, Watchtower, The World Wakes

QoL Improvements - Deadliest Catch, Dealing with Scabaras, Desperate Times, A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift, Fate of the Gods, Garden of Tranquility, Legends' Quest, Nomad's Elegy, One Small Favour, Sliske's Endgame, The World Wakes

Recurring XP - Back to my Roots, Fur 'n Seek, Hunt for Red Raktuber, In Pyre Need, Mighty Fall, Shadow over Ashdale, Tears of Guthix, What Lies Below

Endgame Gear - Broken Home, The Dig Site, Merlin's Crystal, One Piercing Note, Shadow of the Storm, The World Wakes

Ok this is super helpful! That myreque quest chain is funny because I remember very clearly it was the last quest I did as it had just come out and was all the rage. Insane that there is a whole entire chain that was built onto it.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

AnPostman#7961 is not a bot, but definitely an idiot who just started up OSRS for the first time in over a decade.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As someone who's pretty far in the game for RS3 but hasn't played in a few years (hit max cape pre-Archaeology, though not either of the comp capes) i'm tempted to get back into this but i'm worried that 1) there's not enough meaningful content to come back for and 2) keeping up with the gold grind for bonds for membership is never ending. Anything to address my worries on those fronts?

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
I am Scrimisnice#6243, I am a real person, I am Scirmaon on RS3, and I am totally not a bot.

Please let me in?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Scrimsax posted:

I am Scrimisnice#6243, I am a real person, I am Scirmaon on RS3, and I am totally not a bot.

Please let me in?

Hmmmmmmm, I don't know goonscape, pretty suspicious.

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014

Sab Sabbington posted:

Hmmmmmmm, I don't know goonscape, pretty suspicious.

drat, I've been figured out!

KDSet
Mar 28, 2010
StupidNewbie#2665 here..

how
how to i
how to i play?

Kidding :). I think I'll give OSRS a shot since it looks like most of the player base is on there.

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
Get out while you still can Themata won't let us leave the tetracompass mines

KDSet
Mar 28, 2010
The what what in the what? For RS3, I've mostly been dungeoneering with the occasional goblin raid hunt hoping to get lucky. A fresh OSRS start has been nice, but overall I try to keep it as casual as possible. :)

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Dungeoneering is a whole lot of fun. Seems to have aged kind of weirdly though in terms of combat. Sometimes you just encounter a level 7 guy as a boss and it's just like :shrug:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

I have finally defeated Runescape.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Araxxor posted:

You 200m'd every skill?????

The Walrus Cancer
Sep 14, 2018

If we were all trees, there'd be no more wars. 'Cause we'd be trees.

Araxxor posted:

Good. Now do it all again in osrs.

For real, though, a big GZ is deserved!

Oedipa Maashole
Jun 22, 2020
Big nerd here who just requested to get into goonscape discord. Name is Joseh_Reed.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Araxxor posted:

jesus christ

Congrats!

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Hello I am Throne can I please be added to the discord

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm coolfrog and would like approval in the discord.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

just chiming in to say I have been thoroughly enjoying playing OSRS with the company of goons

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BALLS DILDO posted:

just chiming in to say I have been thoroughly enjoying playing OSRS with the company of goons

hosed up if true.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Since I saw this on Steam I decided to try logging in again to my last character, which apparently I made in 2011. Normally I get about as far as duping the Blurite sword, and maybe replacing it with a mithril one, before I get bored and just forget to play again. Tried to recover my count only to learn it has copped a perma for macroing in 2019. Must have used a lovely password on it. :rip: TomHogarth. I hope you served the botnet well. It's kind of funny that someone else tried to steal the account in 2020 though.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Since I saw this on Steam I decided to try logging in again to my last character, which apparently I made in 2011. Normally I get about as far as duping the Blurite sword, and maybe replacing it with a mithril one, before I get bored and just forget to play again. Tried to recover my count only to learn it has copped a perma for macroing in 2019. Must have used a lovely password on it. :rip: TomHogarth. I hope you served the botnet well. It's kind of funny that someone else tried to steal the account in 2020 though.

My toon from 2003 has been banned 3 - 4 times over the years from botlords getting ahold of the login and being banned for macroing. Despite that they reversed it each after sending a message to them. Worth a shot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

shirunei posted:

My toon from 2003 has been banned 3 - 4 times over the years from botlords getting ahold of the login and being banned for macroing. Despite that they reversed it each after sending a message to them. Worth a shot.
I didn't even think to bother. I've thrown in a request via their automated system though, so maybe I will get lucky.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BALLS DILDO posted:

likewise! it's been nice watching number go up while bullshitting about inane stuff. reminds me of hanging out on irc as a kiddo :unsmith:

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
I'm Jayce#1051 and MystikJim in OSRS, I'd like to hang out and click on stuff in this hip new online roleplaying game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

I didn't even think to bother. I've thrown in a request via their automated system though, so maybe I will get lucky.
Trip report: Success! I guess I will login now to see how badly they left the account.

ETA: totally dead. There is no character there.

ETA2: turns out the character has been migrated to RS3, so either I left it for longer than I thought or something weird has happened.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Trip report: Success! I guess I will login now to see how badly they left the account.

ETA: totally dead. There is no character there.

ETA2: turns out the character has been migrated to RS3, so either I left it for longer than I thought or something weird has happened.

iirc, your username is reserved, but because osrs is based on a 2007 backup copy they unearthed in 2013, it is a totally separate shard. unless you started playing on the shard when osrs launched, you wouldn't have a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was pretty sure I was playing OSRS in 2016 or thereabouts, but it seems I must have been mistaken. It's hard to work out what the timeline is because I tried their Transformers MMO/Arena shooter beta with the same account.