Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Endjinneer posted:

No it's still the dream unless you're an industrial consumer of electricity in which case your pricing is based more-or-less on consumption of available capacity, rather than number of kWh.
Distributed energy storage and buy/sell at individual user level could be such a huge win for energy efficiency but we're still a way off it because of the changes needed to move the juice around and manage side effects.
What happens, for example, if every Tesla in the UK starts with the same default setting for when it buys power and they all switch in at once? We've learnt this lesson once already- economy7 caused grid problems because it meant all the really high load appliances switched on at precisely the same time.

To continue this point, the switching behaviours required to balance the grid at micro and macro level rely entirely on smart meters being in place. There’s no way around it. You want to balance your Solar, Ground Source Heat Pumps, Electric Vehicles and still have everyone getting power? Needs to be balanced.

Want to sell your battery contents (either fixed or EV) through an aggregator working as a virtual peaking station? Needs a smart meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

Huffpost reporting it as: "Transgender Children Can Be Prescribed Puberty Blockers, High Court Says In Landmark Ruling"

Effectively restates Gillick?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

If you’ve run through a lot of the easier trouble shooting steps, ring your DNO on 105 (it’s free and automatic) and see if there are any known faults in your local area that may have caused your supply voltage to drop. If they think it’s likely or they want to check, they’ll send out an engineer.

Cuts out one of the potential causes at least.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, I can see them letting the calendars be filled at random, with someone giving them the once-over to make sure it's not 25 Maltesers.
I skimmed the article but couldn't see whether this is intentional from Mars (free publicity), or just a function of them producing a shitload of advent calendars, where each one is filled randomly.
Their responses to the tweets makes me think it's intentional, but I've already spent more time thinking about this than any sane person should do.

From a consistency perspective, having the hopper for specific days be full of the same shape and weight of chocolate in the line as you load them would lead to less potential issues. That they’ve pointed the first hopper on the line to 1,2,3,4 would be deliberate then.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Definitely check for actual causes. I often get emails from customers complaining about "nuisance tripping" of an RCBO that we "need to fix". 9 times of of 10 it's an actual fault in the field wiring that's very much Not Our Problem. But no, it's obviously a "nuisance" trip, because it was fine before and now it isn't!

They never even check on the helpful error display whether it was overcurrent or RCD.

Also we’ve just had the first bout of properly cold weather and if anything loves changing temperatures it’s low voltage networks.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

kecske posted:

everything below 1000V is low voltage :science:

According to some engineers I know, anything less than 132 might as well be low voltage anyway.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

crispix posted:

Football is what English people have in the absence of recreational sectarian violence imo

only the Scots managed to combine the two - they are a very inventive people, the Scots

You used to get the same KAH vs FTP arguments in online gaming but it’s all secure cloud stuff now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Split Edinburgh in two. Everything in sight of the giant gold dog poo poo is English, the rest Scottish.

All of the south coast islands to create their own independent republic.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Tobermory, and after every election the harbour houses are painted proportionally

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I choose to read this as a compliment.

25 minutes, a raspberry pi and questionable morals and you can set a completely automated and self-secured usenet container stack with plex running. All the old guys get lazy and look to make life easier and it benefits everybody.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Who knew that the digestive systems of long haul truckers were so toxic that they could incubate a mutant COVID strain so powerful it was transmitted through bottled piss

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Limit of two household bubbles, not three. Enough to look like he’s doing something and piss off people, not enough to actually limit the spread of the virus

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I think the confluence of;

• Williamson threatening to sue schools closing early
  • The mutant strain being known about since September
  • The idea that this particular mutation has worse effect on kids than previous strains
  • The last minute Christmas cancellation
  • Tesco rationing again

Might actually break through to the 60+ lobby who are ok with their kids being destitute because of Brexit, and steadily propping up that 40% CON polling, but who would like to see their grandkids live to a double digit age

But we live on bullshit island where hope dies eternal so I’m guessing they’ll be over 50pts and Boris will be a decisive champion by Wednesday.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

Pretty much. HS2 isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neglecting the rail infrastructure of the entire country so that businessmen can get from London to Birmingham 40 minutes faster is.

But that’s not what HS2 will allow, it will create a huge amount of capacity for intra-city travel that’s currently bottenecked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I’m worried the Kermit will spread and you’ll have to get a SUXMIT and a HAMMIT to move between counties.