Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Reminds me that it’s advent calendar season. This year mine is a different beer every day so I probably have to break the tradition of “open the calendar in the morning and eat the chocolate before breakfast” as applied to beer.
gently caress it, it's lockdown. Day drinking is just drinking now.

endlessmonotony posted:

Anyone got an update on Keir's deeply held values?
More like #REF! since they shift so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The thing I wonder about Elliott Page is that his role in the umbrella academy is female. Must be a bit hurtful to have to continue to play a female character on screen, if coming out as trans is essentially saying you've been pretending to be the opposite gender your whole life and don't want to do so any more.

For what it's worth, I don't feel male. I'm not sure i'd feel any better female, but I do get a bit of euphoria seeing faceapp female pictures of myself. I don't think I'm up for the hassle of having to explain what gender neutral means, so I'll probably handle the issue by not talking to people wherever possible.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

Get your wife to peg you
No matter how many times you send me those pictures YOU ARE NOT. MY. WIFE.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

So we're allowed to stay overnight in accommodation, but not allowed to meet people you're staying with.

I guess blindfolds for everyone?
I couldn't possibly speculate why tories would leave open a loophole so that you can still have big parties where everyone has to wear a blindfold.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can't wait for Jan 2021 to find out that we have agreed to buy the vaccine but sadly there is no way to import it.

E: or that Chris Grayling somehow made a deal with Tizer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

fwiw i think the general staff of the NHS are hard working and much more admirable than me, but the executives don't seem any better than PHE(pbuh) or SAGE or any of the other trusted UK scientific institutions that turned out to be total horseshit this year.
I've spent most of this year in pain from wisdom teeth and a cracked tooth on one side. Been waiting since mid February to hear back from the NHS emergency place, but the dentist I'm registered with cheerfully informed me they could do it the next day if I pay private because 'there's not much on at the moment.'

For every hard working front liner in the NHS, there's armies of workshy jobsworths who wouldn't lift a finger unless spire paid them to do it. The reason the emergency care places are overloaded is because those pricks won't take on the extra work during a loving health crisis.

gently caress dentists, and gently caress whatever special status they get to be exempt from the nhs supposedly being free at the point of service.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

How do I do that?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Seriously some of you seem like you’ll be disappointed if it goes well.
I'll be disappointed when the cure is out, the tories get all the credit, the media and keith absolutely fail to call them to account, and when any of us try and point out that all of the dead people are still dead, we get whined at for being doomsayers.

Jakabite posted:

There’s not really any incentive for this to get hosed up as far as I can tell. Not that it won’t, but it also might go alright?
Did you miss the part where the government contracted out everything they could to their mates?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Agree with first point, but on the second isn’t it specifically the case that this isn’t being contracted out? Or am I mistaken? If I am then doomposters please accept my humblest apologies
At this point it would be extremely unusual for the tories not to try and insert someone completely incompetent but related to one of their wives in the middle of the process.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just off the top of my head, a few ways private companies could gently caress it up:

Private storage facilities for the vaccine which later turn out to be nowhere near capable of -70°c,

Staff administering the vaccine after a 2 week course (similar to ATOS) because they're cheaper than nurses,

Minimum wage staff labelling the vials untrained and accidentally contaminating the batch heading out to high risk people,

Private company given the entire NHS database to look up who gets the vaccine first and whoops they sold it to insurers and private health firms

Mystery fifth option because our imaginations are outdone only by the tories staggering capacity for inventive malice.

Remember that when the tories promise that the NHS is running it, they mean NHS money is going to be going to staggeringly incompetent people who pinky swear they are able to do it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When private dental care includes lazer teeth I'll think about it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

quote:

In 2006, the firm had changed the product to a newer version called ‘new technology’ K15 which had turned a December 2007 testing rig into a “raging inferno” that had to be extinguished out of fears it would endanger the testing laboratory.

Sounds fine, carry on.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

my last flight i drank so much and went to piss so much i got the elderly couple in the seats next to me, since i had a window seat, bumped up to first class and was able to get drunker and then stretch out across the aisle to sleep
I used to absolutely hate takeoff and landing until I discovered the magical power of a vodka orange ten minutes before either event. I very rarely drink and am lightweight enough that it fucks with my balance the exact amount needed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm in my 40s, I have no more use for a crotch. However unless my hands and feet are bound (and there's no potential tooth-holds on the way out) there's still no way anyone's getting me to jump out of a plane.
OK, fine. But drink this glass of milk.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I mean this is SUPER not true, but those companies are making historicals or other scifi or fantasy stuff. GW has the margins it does because it owns Warhammer and has the trademarks to prove it (hence all the incredibly daft names for poo poo in Age of Sigmar. Can't be an Elf, got be an Aelf Treeshagger or something)
Don't forget they also have exclusive LOTR rights as well. Having said that, I haven't been in a store in ages but I'm assuming the LOTR stuff is still at the back of the store, behind the warhammer FB stuff, covered in stickers that say 'We are all judging you right now.'

mediaphage posted:

i wonder if as 3d printers inevitably get cheaper and easier to use and higher quality over time whether we’ll see an open source replacement eventually take hold.
Heroforge look like a good alternative for custom single minis, I am looking forwards to not being broke so I can start making weird character concepts like goblin bards, or halfling fighter, and then never ever getting to play them.

I used to collect GW, was terrible at playing it, and got bored of painting the minis after doing about 3 in the same colour. But because my brother and i had about 5k points of space marines between us, everyone wanted to challenge us. And back then the Newcastle store was super strict about using painted minis only, even bases, so we never even got to play in store.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 3, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ The GW thread in trad games used to recommend Warmachine I think it was called - mech combat, 1-5 minis needed per player, damage systems similar to battletech but a bit easier, much cheaper to play.

My parents are optimistically hoping that Tyne & Wear goes down to tier 2 (not loving likely) so they can come down and help with the new house, but I doubt it's likely.

Of course because they live in the posh end, they keep blaming poor areas like Wallsend for spreading it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 3, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Fantasy accents: I mostly didn't used to bother with accents for RPG characters but since play has moved largely to discord I've found it VERY helpful, not to mention enjoyable, to do accents for my characters, as it makes it a little clearer when speech is intended to be in character rather than out of character.
My current project is Grigori Whitehammer, a dwarven oath of vengeance paladin. His backstory is that his mining village was bought out by capitalists, and a ton of his coworkers were killed in the attempted revolution. So his oath of vengeance is specifically against capitalists.

Full on, David Harbour in Black Widow soviet accent, quotes from the communist manifesto, has a warhammer with a bust of Marx & Engels on either end, and a sickle in the off-hand.

I have definitely seen the value of accents since getting into Critical Role, but IMHO dwarves should be Russian, elves should be irish, and halflings welsh. Humans British, tieflings southern drawl and dragonborn German.

It's interesting because it kind of mirrors something that happened in translation of Greek comedy - a lot of the national stereotypes associated with the various cities became a lot easier to understand if you make the spartans glaswegian, the boetians cornish etc.

Communist Thoughts posted:

20 orks is 36 quid nowadays not 20
I have an unopened box of Necrons* I was going to stick on ebay for ½ of its retail price, and it's still five quid more than I originally paid for it.

* Yes, i know.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Good point. Posh RP then.

It's interesting seeing how Americans use their own accents for regional stuff. In the UK we kind of understand the stereotypes associated with valley girl, alabama, new york, boston, minnesota thanks to Fargo, but not really much more than that. I saw an RP where they gave the dockworkers Massachusetts accents and it was interesting.

Reveilled posted:

Have you seen the Oath of the Common Man homebrew?
I have, and it's cool, but we were going with no homebrew because we have one player who will destroy campaigns if you let him go off book.

feedmegin posted:

Got any Squats? :corsair:
I still have a bunch of beakies on sprue I keep meaning to eBay.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres 11 in that box.
why not just make 10 bigger orks

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They blocked my credit card when I drunkenly tried to add it to my Google pay app thing on my phone when I'd run out of money. Dunno how they knew I was drunk.
Probaly because you entered your pin as 'fuggin... iss godda 8 innit'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Am I reading that right? Labour just suspended two Jewish members for antisemitism.

What even is a words?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

With reference to that Helen Pidd tweet about the eternally racist Northern brain
Now I can't stop thinking about "The eternal racism of the Northern Mind."

Soricidus posted:

Sure it’s bad, but just think how much worse it could have been if Corbyn had got into no 10 and started just handing out public money while failing to negotiate a brexit deal
And all the Stalinist purges, especially the Jewish people he doesn't like. Imagine!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Go to meetings & heckle him at every opportunity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJFs_Dw-Y9o

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E L E C T A B I L I T Y

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You're loving delusional mate

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/12/labour-ahead-polls

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.gmb.org.uk/campaign/i-back-british-gas-workers

Solidarity requested for British Gas workers getting hosed over by manahement. This poo poo has been going on since the early nineties, but there was no internet back then attempting to get people's attention.

quote:

British Gas was once a great company, but the company has been let down by successive regimes of mismanagement.

Every time the “solution” has been to cut jobs, pensions and working conditions whilst the gravy train to the top brass has changed little. Our members have done everything they’ve been asked, always on the promise that this will lead to prosperity - but hasn’t.

The latest round of talks kicked off with British Gas parent company, Centrica, threatening to dismiss the entire workforce if they didn’t accept management proposals.

This style of negotiation is wrong and GMB members who have given decades of their lives into the company deserve better.

After months of pressure from MPs of all parties and even the Conservative government, the company will not take the threat off the table and so GMB has had to ballot for industrial action.

Join us in sending a message of support to GMB members facing the prospect of having new contracts imposed on them from 7th January.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Alarming amount of electricity knowledge in this thread, love it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Did you actually not know what a totenkopf is?
Oh come on. That is not a normal word to know.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

thread hivemind,
Every loving time someone shows their arse and gets dunked they fall back on this word, loving hell.

You can have dissenting opinions in here. Expect them to be challenged though.

Vitamin P posted:

Chamber of Secrets - Girls toilet is where they brew the potion to change their bodies
Saw a viral post ages ago about how Rowling at a basic level understands body dysmorphia.

In one of the books / films they all take polyjuice potion to look like Harry. They pull off the scheme they meant to, they meet up later but Hermione is freaking out* because something went wrong and she hasn't changed back yet.

Notably, she's not freaking out about looking like Harry, she is freaking out about actually being a girl, trapped in the appearance of a boy, and facing the prospect of having to live out the rest of her life being regarded as a boy.

And it's like... She loving had it. Right there, she understood and conceptualised the basic problem. She has the capacity to see this from a trans person's perspective. She just doesn't want to, and all the terf poo poo is an active attempt to pull her mind away from the perspective of the trans person in case she suddenly realises she is wrong.

* In the bathroom, I'm pretty sure.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well apologies anyway. The conflation between the two scenes is probably why my brain found it familiar.

Anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/06/we-wont-be-cash-cows-uk-students-plan-the-largest-rent-strike-in-40-years

‘We won’t be cash cows’: UK students plan the largest rent strike in 40 years

Fed up with paying for halls they cannot use, residents demand universities take action

quote:

Student activists are preparing for the biggest wave of university rent strikes in four decades amid growing frustration at heavy-handed hall lockdowns, the prospect of paying for empty rooms and little face-to-face teaching when they eventually return in the new year.

There are at least 20 rent strikes currently under way or being organised on campuses, with activists at both Oxford and Sussex universities this week signing up hundreds of students ahead of the new term. Other institutions also preparing action include Goldsmiths, University of London, and Edinburgh and Cambridge universities.

Matthew Lee from Rent Strike, a grassroots group that is coordinating many of the campaigns, said students were fed up with being treated as cash cows for universities, especially in the midst of a pandemic when in-person teaching and campus life was so limited. “This is the biggest wave of student renter militancy in over 40 years,” said Lee. “The last time there was resistance on this scale was in the mid-1970s.”

Activists across the country are hoping to emulate a successful mass rent strike at Manchester University, which last month led it to cut rent in its halls by 30% for this term. However, the first-year students, who organised the campaign, are determined to join other universities to force rent cuts for the rest of the academic year.

The number of students pledging to withhold rent has tripled, with almost 600 ready to strike in January.

“We are going to keep withholding our rent,” said Ben McGowan, one of the Manchester organisers, who hasn’t had any real face-to-face teaching yet. “And we are helping other universities set up their own strikes because every student in the country deserves a rent cut.”

The movement in the city has been growing since hundreds of hall residents tore down fences erected to prevent them moving freely around the campus last month, intended, according to the university, as means to stop the spread of the virus.

McGowan said students are expecting rent cuts to cover the government’s staggered return, which will see students on non-practical courses come back across a five-week period. “Students should not be paying for halls when they are not there,” he said.

Nearly 200 students have pledged to withhold their rent in Sussex. “In 24 hours, we got 198 names,” said Ellie Concannon from Sussex Renters Union. “Students are getting desperate because money is going to very tight over the Christmas period.”

Concannon added there wasn’t enough support for new students struggling to make friends on largely shut-down campuses or to help them find scarce part-time work. “There are loads of students in dire situations … but there’s no availability for mental health services for months,” she said.

In Cambridge, more than 400 students have promised to join a rent strike amid anger at redundancies in some colleges. “The colleges are so rich they absolutely have the means to make rent cuts and ensure staff are not laid off,” said Laura Hone from Rent Strike Cambridge. “Yet they continually put profit ahead of the welfare of students and staff. They are run like businesses – that has become particularly stark in the context of the pandemic.”

Hone stressed that the strikes sweeping the country were about more than disruption during the pandemic. “The education system should prioritise the welfare of students and staff, but universities are not going to come to this conclusion on their own. Students have to make them listen and rent is the most powerful leverage we have.”

The largest rent strike in the country is at Bristol University, where more than 1,400 students have been demanding rent cuts, more support and no-penalty contract releases. They plan to continue next term and have signed up 200 more students in recent weeks.

“The national rent strike movement is really picking up speed,” said Saranya Thambirajah, one of the first-year strikers in the university’s halls. “We are going to keep on fighting for a 30% cut for the whole academic year.”

The National Union of Students president, Larissa Kennedy, said students had been encouraged to move into halls because universities were heavily dependent on rents and tuition fees. “Students have been essentially lied to,” she said. “They were told campuses would be safe and there would be face-to-face teaching but, within days of arriving, many found teaching was completely online – or everything bar two hours of in-person teaching was online. Understandably, students feel like they been trapped on campuses so universities can collect rent and fees.”

Kennedy said the increasing discontent was a “very clear rejection” of the post-2012 funding model for higher education, which requires universities to generate more revenue from students to make up for reduced funding from central government. “Universities have turned into mega landlords, collecting millions of pounds in rent every year,” she said. “A massive chunk of the inadequate maintenance support most students get is funnelled straight into these institutional landlords.”

Research by the NUS found that the average rent for student accommodation accounted for 73% of the student loan in 2018, up from 58% in 2012. Universities generated £1.9bn from residential operations, including hall rents, in the last academic year.

Bristol University said it would be offering students a 30% rent rebate for seven weeks to reflect the staggered return in 2021, along with penalty-free contract releases for students whose health has been impacted.

A Manchester University spokesperson said: “The university will be unable to provide further reductions, but students can decide to break their accommodation contract without financial penalty.”

The University of Sussex said staff were working tirelessly to ensure that living on campus was possible during the pandemic. Cambridge University said the majority of its students appreciated the high-quality education it had provided.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rachel_Ish_/status/1335568953989603328?s=19
Puberty blockers: Simultaneously ineffective, and dangerous enough that under 16s can't consent to their use.

gently caress's sake.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 6, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Not the Corbyn we need, but the fox murderer we deserve.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

By writing 1500 word fanfics about how much worse it would be if Corbyn was PM.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It still tracks because there is now and forever a permenant bathroom inspector in the womens bog.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That still requires them to get over the hurdle of acknowledging a problem instead of jumping straight to "if it's my time to starve to death for the country then it's my time" which is more than I expect of the loving mouthbreather contingent in this hell country.
More accurately the lord Farquaad meme about 'some of you are going to die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.'

Bobstar posted:

Remainers did keep saying "ok but this time they'll surely realise their folly" at every key event along the way
I keep saying it, but one of the biggest problems was that the leave campaign sent a bright neon pamphlet with huge lies all over the cover, and remain sent a politely worded letter cosigned by Stephen Fry that nobody opened.

The amount of times Leave broke the law or lied, they knew that by the time any court judgements came round, their message would already be out there and it'd be too late for the slap on the wrist to mean anything. Just look at how long it took the electoral commission to say Leave.eu broke funding law, and what happened? gently caress all.

Since then it's been a free for all on neocon maniacs operating on the principle that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Except they don't ask for forgiveness, they take five years off politics and then some oval office gives them a book deal and a seat in the lords.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

But the converse is that if remain had made those same choices... what could they have argued? How could they have lied to peple to make them change 40 years of embedded propaganda about how the EU is to blame for everything?
I don't agree with the argument, but there is one that appeals to liberals. There's also the 'do you really want the loving Tories doing it' argument that everyone in the centrist press was too polite to make because that would be mean to their nice friend David.

My point is that remain were very much taking a smug moral superiority and assuming that remain was so obviously right that they didn't need to try hard to argue for it. Somewhere between Michelle Obama's 'when they go low we go high' and a political cinderella complex, where they believed they'd win just by sitting there and being virtuous against an overwhelmingly funded political and media machine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

This is, IMO, the best way to work, and I hope it sees adoption elsewhere.
My brother works for his local council and has been remote for a few months. He loves it because the actual work he gets done over about 2 hours in the morning, and the rest of the day he just has to make himself available for the occasional meeting.

Which he generally does after finishing whatever he's doing on Destiny 2.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I like mixing it with pepsi max cherry, the longer its been cask aged the better.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

radmonger posted:

Unsurprising as it only launched in 2014.
6 year oak aged is the best vintage :colbert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The hell supermarket are you going to? Tesco doesn't even need you to select contactless, you just tap ready to pay, scan your card and gently caress off.
Self service at Sainsburys still has a ton of prompts you need to click. I tend to use the back of my knuckle but you still need to tap to select card, select what bags you used, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one other thing you need to touch.

I always find their system funny because it'll yell every prompt at you in super clear well spoken English, and then whisper "D'you need a receipt" like it's asking if I need something for the weekend. Then back to full volume when it tells you to take your items and gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

I feel for the person they have near the doors who has to challenge people who aren't wearing masks. You just know they're going to have at least a dozen GUBMINT WANNA INJEYACT ME WIH GAY NANAMACHINES WAKE UP SHEEPLE wingnuts every day
Overheard one of them as I went into the mini sainsburys round the corner. Stood by the tills area lecturing anyone dumb enough to make eye contact about 'his mate, bin a virologist for 40 year, says masks dan do naffink.'

Went to co-op instead, can't be arsed with that.