Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

reignofevil posted:

The radical decision that wrestlers in the AEW kayfabe should be explicitly billed based on how many years they had been an independent wrestler and that the spots they get assigned within the match should from time to time reflect the kind of strategic differences and experience gulfs that you'd expect to see between different wrestlers at different stages of their career. None of these things exist in WWE because they are all ways in which the booking is intentionally limiting itself and it's a way of carefully curating the product which doesn't allow for temperamental decision-making or on the spot changeups of the card.

This is something I've noticed in AEW for awhile when they have new teams or enhancement matches. Like Top Flight vs Young Bucks. Commentary puts that kind of stuff over like crazy, with Top Flight making a mistake or the Bucks doing something that veterans do. All this stuff, if it even does happen in a WWE match, is drowned out by commentary talking about something else entirely. I think it makes enhancement matches in AEW more than just "bigger start goes out there and gets his poo poo in" and turns it more into "this is why the top start just squashed the new guy, and why the top guy should move up the rankings".

It's interesting how I've noticed those small details and will want to watch the enhancement matches because of this in AEW. But if it's a WWE match were I know one person has like a 99% chance of winning I'll just skip over the match these days, because there is nothing unique about the match to make it worth watching. If anything, the WWE match is just a place holder for someone to run in and continue a feud, or to get the person out in the ring so they can grab a mic after the match. The match itself is meaningless, and that's a HUGE problem when you have 7-8 hours of TV to fill each week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Paywalling even the most basic info :lol:

It's telling how little my interest in NXT is these days, I don't even care to figure out who it is

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BrigadierSensible posted:

On Mick Foley.

I am surprised he didn't do more backstage stuff in wrestling post in-ring career.

He is respected, smart, (as well as his autobiographies he has written a proper novel that didn't have any pictures or nothing), loves wrestling, and can tolerate Vince. I would have thought he would be a good producer/agent.

Didn't Foley say that when he was an announcer that he didn't really talk pay, and then Vince started him at like the base level pay for any new announcer on TV?

It wouldn't surprise me if that was what he assumed would happen with any backstage role and just got the gently caress out of there.

Gonz posted:

No. Roman is going to DDT.

And he will win the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship....from Britt Baker.

A WWE wrestler vs. an AEW Wrestler, in a DDT Title match?!? What is this... Taz vs. Mike Awesome all over again?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It looks like a month for $1. And you’d get Wargames and TLC

Wow... desperate to bump up the subscriber numbers by year end.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was mildly interested in checking out Wargames for $1. But nope... no offer for me when checking my junk mail. That is about where I top out at wanting to give WWE money right now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What’s the point of tribute to the troops when it’s in an empty arena and aired on a random afternoon at tsifferent times in different markets?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Invalid Validation posted:

WWE doesn’t want stars so you’d think they would just rotate people every few months since nobody is a draw anyways. Hell, you could probably pay them less since they wouldn’t be on TV all the time too.

That is a legit question. They have so many people there is really no reason to keep them all on TV at once. But then again, people are unimpressed with Carmella returning to feud with Sasha, so who knows, because that's what you'd get

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RealFoxy posted:

I don't think for a second the brand split is part of their issue when they've got rosters of upwards of 50 people on every brand with the same ~12 appearing constantly and everyone else is just used as jobbers or extras.

When Smackdown initially moved to Tuesday’s and they legitimately tried to use everyone on their roster it kind of worked. They even found something amusing for Eva Marie to do for a short while and tried to utilized every woman in the roster in a storyline.

But the problem was still that the roster was limited and the fresh feuds eventually became stale when they wouldn’t move on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

skaboomizzy posted:

I don't know if they did this on EVERY draft, but it feels like they did:

Everyone fantasy books about what dudes/factions could benefit from a change, they get four minutes in a battle royal for #1 contender for the secondary belt, then they just sit in catering on a different night of the week than last month

I’m really surprised that they have not added somebody to New Day by this point, TBH. That would be the one thing nobody wants, but would be a total WWE thing to shake things up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

quote:

Malcolm Bivens offered to be Tyler Rust's manager.

I assume this is the fake insert for the week. Those names can’t be real

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MJeff posted:

On a two week build.
And then he just gave one of them away like a week later.
And then he lost the other one on his first defense.

Can't believe that show is doing 0.14s every weeks.

The Keith Lee win also was supposed to be NXT's response to Mox vs. Cage for the AEW Title, which then got delayed a week because WWE caused Renee to get COVID and made Mox quarantine. So they rushed that match only to put it up against Jericho/Cassidy, which resulted in NXT getting the win with only 44K more viewers that week.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This has been bugging me for awhile... probably a few years ago on Raw, definitely WWE, there was a heel talking to a face in the ring and he says something and a fan very loud and audibly on camera is heard saying “He has a good point!” Where can I find this? I just remember cracking up at that for some reason

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
WWE TLC Results
  • On the preshow, Akira Tozawa won the 24/7 Championship with a roll up after R-Truth (c) tried to run away by climbing up a tiny ladder backstage.
  • The New Day (c) defeated The Hurt Business (Cedric Alexander and Shelton Benjamin) when New Day hit The Midnight Hour on Cedric Alexander to retain the Smackdown Tag Team Titles.
  • Sasha Banks (c) defeated Carmella by disqualification to retain the Smackdown Women’s Title after Carmella’s sommelier handed Carmella a bottle that was used as a weapon.
  • Bobby Lashley (c) defeated literal accused rapist Matt Riddle with a roll up after MVP caused a distraction on the ring apron to retain the US title.
  • Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler (c) defeated Asuka and Lana after Baszler put Asuka through a table to retain the Women’s Tag Titles. Baszler then motioned that she wanted the Raw Women’s Title.
  • Randy Orton defeated The Fiend in a Chair Match when The Field quit after Orton threatened to use a chair on Alexa Bliss
  • AJ Styles defeated Drew McIntyre (c) to win the WWE Championship in a TLC Match after Omos just simply lifted AJ into the air until he was high enough to grab the title.
  • Roman Reigns (c) defeated Kevin Owens in a TLC match to retain the Universal Championship.
  • GDT Discussion here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Didn’t they do an ascension ceremony before a Cena/Orton TLC match as well a few years back around this time of the year? The one where the crowd hijacked it and chanted for Bryan?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dango Bango posted:

That spot is a very "how did they think that was going to work" spot. Even if timed perfectly, Keith is going to be pouncing him straight into the ropes. There's barely any way for him to get under Morrison to lift him.

Simple, you hide the action with shaky cam and zooms.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

vivazomo posted:

Raw
8 PM: 0.44 1.627m
9PM: 0.41 1.512m
10PM: 0.38 1.441m

holy poo poo thats bad

lol...

AEW's debut episode about a year ago was 1.409 million

"The Monday Night Raw this happened on averaged 4.43 million viewers,"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

Dynamite did 0.45 demo last week 😱

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1338953487783055362

While up against another wrestling show that drew .17 in 18-49.

There are more people interested in watching wrestling on Wednesday than there are on Mondays when you combine NXT and AEWs numbers

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Alaois posted:

you can tell Battlegrounds is a game that was sitting in the bin for like 3 years because it heavily features Jake the Snake

I wouldn't say it heavily features anybody.

I borrowed the game from the library. The roster available from the start is so tiny, and features nobody you'd actually want to play with. I couldn't even be bothered to figure out how to unlock more wrestlers before I just returned it because it seemed stupid.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

D.N. Nation posted:

My favorite part of the "sorry the product sucks, we'll try harder" McMahon promo is that they focused on how crappy Corbin all over the show was and so they moved him to (checks notes) retiring Kurt Angle at Mania and then entering into a world title program.

Someone implied this earlier... was that promo supposed to hunt at then bringing in The Elite?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jackie D posted:

Tables Ladders and Chairs
And Flares

Did they not give TLC a stupid little subtitle this month like they have for all the recent PPVs?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JOHN CENA posted:

the actual launch of it will coincidentally be announced when AEW launches their second TNT show.

Seriously....

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rarity posted:

So how many matches are booked for TLC?

6?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lid posted:

Peyton and Billie winning the tag titles was a mistake, a terrible terrible terrible incorrect one that instantly killed the still nearly strangled in the crib womens tag division

I think the only reason The IIconics won the tag titles was because the Bella Twins were supposed to return and feud with them probably. They even had that match the next night against the "Brooklyn Belles" where they made Kris Statlandere a generic jobber. But when Nikki wasn't cleared, creative literally had nothing for them and they just did nothing until they lost the title at SummerSlam

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That was probably the best inferno match ever from the spectacle of it all and being pretaped. I know this is only the 5th one, but I expected it to end by someone’s foot being set on fire and then extinguished immediately.

Like if you’re not amused by Orton murdering a man on TV by lighting him on fire, I do t know what to say...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fox paid roughly $3.80 per viewer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

davidbix posted:

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't WWE's trademarks for wrestler-owned names (whether a real name like Keith Lee or a gimmick one like A.J. Styles) just for the purposes of merchandising etc. to avoid complications? That the Mick Foley style "I was hesitant to let them trademark Cactus Jack until I developed a trust in Vince" of story is a misunderstanding of what's going on? In other words, that they don't really let WWE do anything after the wrestler leaves the company?

I don't think they've really bothered trying to pull poo poo with names they didn't come up with since the legal harranguing of Honky Tonk Man after his original departure from the company, have they?

I've certainly heard that WWE will do a temporary trademark of a person's real name for that specific purpose, and then transfer it back to the person once they leave the company.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Uh, what did this say? It’s now gone

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The boneyard match was the best thing they did all year, they’re not wrong...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Tato posted:

I feel like there are a few improvements you could make here and there, but a large part of WWE's problems stem from how much loving content they are obligated to produce each week now. I can't see any leadership or stockholders ever willingly agreeing to shorten the shows or get rid of any of them when there's so much money at stake, even if it's for the good of the product and long term health. I remember when 3 hour RAWs started, almost everyone knew it would lead to long-term audience declines eventually.

The last time WWE was watchable for me was when Smackdown was completely skippable. No brand split and Smackdown was essentially the 50/50 booking to even out what happened on Raw. Like nothing notable ever happened on the show, and you could completely not even read results and not miss a beat, and still see all the feuds leading up the PPV. NXT really wasn't a thing, so if you just watched WWE, you really only need watch 3 hours of wrestling each week to be caught up on everything the company was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The only women’s match was that Martinez squash? Well, literally no reason to watch NXT this week