Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is this the quarantine thread for folks that don't want to ignore cars murdering folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A Bad Poster posted:

Every time I see a modern pickup truck, I wonder what sort of pedestrian safety tests they do on those things , because the front of all of them now is a 5'x7' steel wall.
https://twitter.com/Iam_Canadian/status/1332878942345207808
https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1216756397045514245?s=20

It's weird: ask me four years ago about how America structures its transportation and I'd have given you a big :shrug:

At some point, something clicked and dropped the blinders of growing up in auto-dependent suburbia from my eyes. The policies, infrastructure, and mindset we have now aren't some immutable law of the universe and we can work to make safer and cleaner roads for everyone, but challenge the privileged place the car holds in our society and some folks get viscerally angry. They reject awareness-raising about preventable vehicular violence as just zealous, lycra-clad cyclists advancing their niche cause. Hell, look no further than Flying_Crab's avatar.

I can't imagine this quarantine thread will see much traffic, but still feels good to yell into the void.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Anyways, my only time where I had a close call was by a police officer who ignored the crosswalk sign and literally stopped to where his car lunged within inches of my leg. I kinda wish the guy hit me but he immediately stopped, got out of his car, and started apologizing profusely and made sure I was okay. That would've been a hell of a settlement.
Not in all places, unfortunately. From what I've heard, the NYPD is extremely aggressive against cyclists and continues to be so despite causing injury and death. They're also notorious for rampant and documentable parking in no-parking zones, on sidewalks, and in bike lanes, with no repercussions because the mayor and every other power broker in the city takes giant black SUVs everywhere. Despite being an ideal environment for alternative forms of transport, the people who decide policy often either willfully neglect or actively fight it.

Doesn't help that it's a self-reinforcing problem. Prioritizing car traffic over all else ensures most people get cars, who are then vocal constituents for the perpetuation of the dominance of the automobile. If they've been conditioned to believe that everything else is unsafe or inconvenient, people freak the gently caress out at the idea of losing "their" street parking to transit or bike lanes.