Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The NPCs thing made me laugh thinking of a moment I had in CP2077 the other day. I walk past a guy standing by himself, and I hear him say something (presumably to me) like "Dude, your eyes, you're so high!". Then I keep heading down the street and not ten feet away there's the exact same guy sitting at an outdoor restaurant table with another guy and he goes "Dude, your eyes, you're so high!".

It was like a straight up glitch in the Matrix. The difference here being that I kind of love that, I love that the game is so janky and rough. It really does feel like a spiritual successor to Vampire: Bloodlines. And since we're never, ever getting a sequel to Bloodlines at least we can have this janky mess of a western FPS/CRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Yes.

Even if there was a reasonable chance of this happening, it would still be a bad idea. There are two data points for released games getting full overhauls to suddenly deliver on their promises: Final Fantasy 14 and No Man's Sky. Those are very long odds. And that isn't even taking into account the differences in culture around the developers and publishers in question.

I zeroed out my expectations over the past year and picked the game up at 50% off during the sale. I'm enjoying it. Coming off Yakuza 0, I can't help but compare the two. People go on about how great the city feels, but I'm not really catching it. It certainly LOOKS impressive, but the ramshackle way it is populated is constantly distracting. Yakuza of course reuses NPCs and the like, but it was never as distracting as CP2077 is. Kamurocho and Sotenbori feel alive in a way Night City doesn't. Even looking at the NPCs themselves, the filler NPCs feel out of place against how crisp the city itself looks. I can't explain why I feel like it's a problem in 2077 and not Yakuza though.

Of course, that's really my main criticism right now. I enjoy the gameplay well enough, and the fact that on a lark I tried to shoot a grenade out of the air with a revolver and got an achievement for it was uniquely satisfying. CP2077, to me, feels like an aggressively average game. It's entertaining enough that I don't think I wasted my money.

So basically the city is just a big combat arena? Goddamn thats depressing when you look at all the fantastic assets that are in it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There seem to be a lot of great little side conversations and stuff that provide context and lore, but there isn't anything to do in the city that isn't combat. You can go into a Pachinko parlour, but you don't get to play Pachinko. There are a number of seemingly unique arcade cabinets that run on attract mode too, but you can't interact with them. IDK if that was something that was intended and cut for time, or if they were always just meant to be eye candy.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2021

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

King Vidiot posted:

The NPCs thing made me laugh thinking of a moment I had in CP2077 the other day. I walk past a guy standing by himself, and I hear him say something (presumably to me) like "Dude, your eyes, you're so high!". Then I keep heading down the street and not ten feet away there's the exact same guy sitting at an outdoor restaurant table with another guy and he goes "Dude, your eyes, you're so high!".

It was like a straight up glitch in the Matrix. The difference here being that I kind of love that, I love that the game is so janky and rough. It really does feel like a spiritual successor to Vampire: Bloodlines. And since we're never, ever getting a sequel to Bloodlines at least we can have this janky mess of a western FPS/CRPG.

Bloodlines is so much better given the era and tech it was made under it’s not even funny.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mikojan posted:

So basically the city is just a big combat arena? Goddamn thats depressing when you look at all the fantastic assets that are in it.

I mean, if I wanna get really reductive, sure? Most of what I do in the 'city' is go from encounter to encounter. I haven't really seen anything rewarding from taking the time to go explore nooks and crannies since the only things I've seen that might not be marked on the map from the start are the CP2077 equivalent of a random encounter.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The random encounters sometimes lead to additional higher level loot and in a lot of cases have some unique expository text via "archived conversations", but that's about it. I wandered into an area with an NCPD marker that turned out to be a human trafficking operation with a bunch of people being held in a shipping container. It had no bearing on the story, but it was an interesting encounter with a bunch of bits of NPC dialog and archived conversations about this one-off trafficking ring.

I still tend to go on foot between missions/gigs just to see what I run into in between and get a better sense of the city. If you're just going waypoint to waypoint you won't see a lot of that stuff, but it's not mechanically different than the rest of the game, it just expands on things.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 15, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They made art assets for like 50 different kinds of food and drink but they only do 2-3 things.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

It would have been a bit of brilliant wallpapering if V ever commented on it and it was written off as a side effect of the neural degradation. Is this a bug in the game, or is this a bug in your character? Also, I think that's kinda insulting to Bloodlines. If anything, CP2077 is Bloodlines' great-great-great inbred grandchild.

infernal machines posted:

The random encounters sometimes lead to additional higher level loot and in a lot of cases have some unique expository text via "archived conversations", but that's about it. I wandered into an area with an NCPD marker that turned out to be a human trafficking operation with a bunch of people being held in a shipping container. It had no bearing on the story, but it was an interesting encounter with a bunch of bits of NPC dialog and archived conversations about this one-off trafficking ring.

I still tend to go on foot between missions/gigs just to see what I run into in between and get a better sense of the city. If you're just going waypoint to waypoint you won't see a lot of that stuff, but it's not mechanically different than the rest of the game, it just expands on things.

Yeah, I've noticed this, but since I'm not a codex reader I almost never engage with that kind of content, so most of those encounters end up being "Local Murderhobo Tears Through Gang War Leaving Both Sides Dead" as far as I know. I know it's impractical to voice every one-off side quest, but I'm not afraid to blame the developer for painting themselves into a corner on that one. I think FarCry generally scratches the itch right when it comes to having engaging side content while drawing attention to the interesting bits. The human trafficking would be a one-off quest, while generic fights against human traffickers would be some kind of 'outpost assault.'

The fixers are perfect for that kind of repetitive "My client wants you to secure these shipping containers full of cybercocaine. Eliminate the opposition, then call me" stuff. The game already has this, in fact. I enjoyed "kill this sicko who makes abuse and rape BDs." When I say 'random encounters' I mean the blue assaults/cop fights/NCPD stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There are a number of seemingly unique arcade cabinets that run on attract mode too, but you can't interact with them. IDK if that was something that was intended and cut for time, or if they were always just meant to be eye candy.

yea i would bet they had originally intended at least one minigame, given that gwent was so popular among witcher fans that they were able to spin it off into its own game.

they couldn't have really done that with pachinko tho since that's already a game that exists and there are tons of video game versions of it out there. more likely would have been one of the other arcade games

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Warmachine posted:

It would have been a bit of brilliant wallpapering if V ever commented on it and it was written off as a side effect of the neural degradation. Is this a bug in the game, or is this a bug in your character? Also, I think that's kinda insulting to Bloodlines. If anything, CP2077 is Bloodlines' great-great-great inbred grandchild.

Yeah, I've noticed this, but since I'm not a codex reader I almost never engage with that kind of content, so most of those encounters end up being "Local Murderhobo Tears Through Gang War Leaving Both Sides Dead" as far as I know. I know it's impractical to voice every one-off side quest, but I'm not afraid to blame the developer for painting themselves into a corner on that one. I think FarCry generally scratches the itch right when it comes to having engaging side content while drawing attention to the interesting bits. The human trafficking would be a one-off quest, while generic fights against human traffickers would be some kind of 'outpost assault.'

The fixers are perfect for that kind of repetitive "My client wants you to secure these shipping containers full of cybercocaine. Eliminate the opposition, then call me" stuff. The game already has this, in fact. I enjoyed "kill this sicko who makes abuse and rape BDs." When I say 'random encounters' I mean the blue assaults/cop fights/NCPD stuff.

There's a bunch of things that would have made sense as small fixer gigs that are just labelled "Assault in Progress" or "Suspected Criminal Activity" and you wind up taking out a trafficking ring or drug distribution warehouse.

There's a really cool underground parking lot that's converted into a bazaar/shanty town in North Side that's been taken over by Scavs. You'd never see it unless you go to the NCPD marker and there's essentially nothing in it but Scavs, but it's huge and incredibly detailed and looks like the kind of place you'd expect to find a few vendors and maybe a side-quest or two.

Earwicker posted:

yea i would bet they had originally intended at least one minigame, given that gwent was so popular among witcher fans that they were able to spin it off into its own game.

they couldn't have really done that with pachinko tho since that's already a game that exists and there are tons of video game versions of it out there. more likely would have been one of the other arcade games

That's definitely the impression I get from the assets you can see.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I mean, a gambling den would be a fun one. You don't gotta reinvent the wheel each time. Again, comparing it to Yakuza, a loving dancing minigame would be GREAT considering how prominent night-life is in the cyberpunk genre.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Warmachine posted:

I mean, a gambling den would be a fun one. You don't gotta reinvent the wheel each time. Again, comparing it to Yakuza, a loving dancing minigame would be GREAT considering how prominent night-life is in the cyberpunk genre.

well you kind of have to reinvent the wheel if you want to package it and it sell it as its own game that you invented. i like the minigames in yakuza but i dont know how many people would pay for like just the karaoke as its own thing, and some of their other minigames are just licensed classic arcade games. gwent worked because it coincided with the rising popularity of "card battlers" while also being entirely tied in with the witcher ip.

a dancing minigame could have worked if thy did it right, maybe, it would really depend on the music. imo found it really disappointing that a game set in 2077, when music should have gone through all kinds of weird poo poo, has a major character who is a musician but he just makes boring ultrageneric guitar rock that might as well be from 1997. there's some decent stuff on the radio stations but other than that the "future of music" as portrayed in the game is pretty drat grim.

the berlin level of hitman3 is a better cyberpunk danceclub experience than anything in the cyberpunk game

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 15, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I didn't say it was anywhere near as good as Bloodlines, geez. :shrug:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

They made art assets for like 50 different kinds of food and drink but they only do 2-3 things.

just like real life

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yakuza has some great minigames to be sure

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

There's a bunch of things that would have made sense as small fixer gigs that are just labelled "Assault in Progress" or "Suspected Criminal Activity" and you wind up taking out a trafficking ring or drug distribution warehouse.

There's a really cool underground parking lot that's converted into a bazaar/shanty town in North Side that's been taken over by Scavs. You'd never see it unless you go to the NCPD marker and there's essentially nothing in it but Scavs, but it's huge and incredibly detailed and looks like the kind of place you'd expect to find a few vendors and maybe a side-quest or two.

There’s a warehouse somewhere with a small little skit about an arms deal going south between the tigers and scavers(?) and it deteriorates into a fire fight and you can loot the truck while it’s going.

Then you look to the left and see that half the textures on the building across the lot haven’t loaded and you really get a nice contrast of what they wanted and what we got.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
there *are* things in the world to find. i opened a random garage the other day and found a busted-up bike in it, which prompted a conversation between Johnny and V about how Johnny used to have one of that model and it's a shame this one is beyond restoring. it wasn't connected to anything, nothing sent me there, it was just a little detail in the world.

playing on Xbone, there's still a significant amount of texture load lag, though, especially if you're on foot and sprinting. i have the perk that lets me sprint infinitely, and quite frequently i will arrive at a destination only to see that it still has the low-res "distant" textures loaded, and i have to wait for the high-res ones to load before i can actually do anything.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Chloe Jessica posted:

there *are* things in the world to find. i opened a random garage the other day and found a busted-up bike in it, which prompted a conversation between Johnny and V about how Johnny used to have one of that model and it's a shame this one is beyond restoring. it wasn't connected to anything, nothing sent me there, it was just a little detail in the world.

playing on Xbone, there's still a significant amount of texture load lag, though, especially if you're on foot and sprinting. i have the perk that lets me sprint infinitely, and quite frequently i will arrive at a destination only to see that it still has the low-res "distant" textures loaded, and i have to wait for the high-res ones to load before i can actually do anything.

This is actually an unmarked quest chain that leads to a unique motorcycle if you can figure it out (or Google).

It's also the only one

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Chloe Jessica posted:

If this was in the 6th street gang area, there's a shard or computer in there that leads you on a quest related to a young couple and IIRC you get a bike on completion.

E: b

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

dyzzy posted:

This is actually an unmarked quest chain that leads to a unique motorcycle if you can figure it out (or Google).

It's also the only one

Bronze Fonz posted:

If this was in the 6th street gang area, there's a shard or computer in there that leads you on a quest related to a young couple and IIRC you get a bike on completion.

it was in that area, i found it when i was visiting the shops after i picked up the iconic rifle from the rooftop party. i will go back and see if i can knock that out, but i bought the Kusanagi because it's cheap and the fastest and i wanted a bike that didn't belong to a dead man (that i know of), so it'll probably go onto the pile of vehicles i never use.

i finished the race questline and i really want to use Beast just for the trans flag, but it's so big and floaty and inferior to bikes in every way :(

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Been playing this again, doing the main storyline, just finished up the stuff with the VooDoo boys. Overall was pretty good. I think I'm ready to go to the Afterlife and start that branch.

RE: vehicles and driving. I'm one of those sick freaks that prefer to always play in first person, but I can't manage it in this game while driving, even though I want to. For some reason, and I have no idea why this is the case, but V's eyes seem to be firmly embedded somewhere below their neck and it feels like a toddler trying to drive a car. There's a small selection of cars/bikes where this isn't as much of a problem but that's beside the point. Like when you look at V's model on the Kusanagi, their head is well above the orange glass, yet when you go to first person the glass is right in your face and it blocks the road. There's probably a mod that fixes this but I haven't looked into modding yet (I want to get at least one ending before I Skyrim the poo poo out of this).

Other than that I kinda wish there was more badlands because cruising around on the roads out there and exploring the little gas stations and stuff was pretty neat.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
V being as tall as a tiny grandmother behind the wheel in the vast majority of vehicles definitely doesn't feel like it was intentional, because what kind of idiot would make that a deliberate design decision. Can't even see the end of your own hood, usually. As one of those sickos who tried to drive in first person as much as possible in this game, it sure as gently caress didn't make it easy on me.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Chloe Jessica posted:

it was in that area, i found it when i was visiting the shops after i picked up the iconic rifle from the rooftop party. i will go back and see if i can knock that out, but i bought the Kusanagi because it's cheap and the fastest and i wanted a bike that didn't belong to a dead man (that i know of), so it'll probably go onto the pile of vehicles i never use.

i finished the race questline and i really want to use Beast just for the trans flag, but it's so big and floaty and inferior to bikes in every way :(

There’s a trans flag on it? Did they add that or did I totally miss it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The HDR implementation made it literally impossible for me to drive until I realized I could switch the camera to 3rd person in vehicles. Driving out of any kind of shadow immediately bloomed the screen out completely for multiple seconds every single time. The first time it happened I ran over a bunch of pedestrians on the drive to the ripperdoc in the intro because I couldn't see anything and ended up getting chased by the police.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Robobot posted:

There's one on the dashboard, and one on the back, iirc. I noticed the one on the back, but I always switch to 3rd person when driving so I've only seen the dash one when Claire gives V a ride.

Edit: and of course there's a mod to remove it and replace it with an America First flag. Triggered thin-skinned little crybaby bitches need a safey-wafey-spacey-wafey-poo.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 15, 2021

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Robobot posted:

sorry for the lovely picture, but it's visible, at least. there's also one on the center of the dash like edogawa said, but lmao gently caress driving in first person

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh! I thought it was like a waving flag or something on the back and was like "how the hell did I miss that"? OK, I only ever drove that thing during the one race because it drove so poorly so it was easily missed.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

Robobot posted:

Oh! I thought it was like a waving flag or something on the back and was like "how the hell did I miss that"? OK, I only ever drove that thing during the one race because it drove so poorly so it was easily missed.

It was an easy win every time I used it. Tho the races were also very broken and didn't feel like races at all

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

well you kind of have to reinvent the wheel if you want to package it and it sell it as its own game that you invented. i like the minigames in yakuza but i dont know how many people would pay for like just the karaoke as its own thing, and some of their other minigames are just licensed classic arcade games. gwent worked because it coincided with the rising popularity of "card battlers" while also being entirely tied in with the witcher ip.

a dancing minigame could have worked if thy did it right, maybe, it would really depend on the music. imo found it really disappointing that a game set in 2077, when music should have gone through all kinds of weird poo poo, has a major character who is a musician but he just makes boring ultrageneric guitar rock that might as well be from 1997. there's some decent stuff on the radio stations but other than that the "future of music" as portrayed in the game is pretty drat grim.

the berlin level of hitman3 is a better cyberpunk danceclub experience than anything in the cyberpunk game

Yeah, don't do that. Trying to find Cyberpunk-Gwent seems like a fool's errand, but I'm also probably not in the target audience for that type of game. I also think the music issue is just an issue with speculative fiction in general. Broadly speaking, we're not very capable when it comes to grasping just how weird and wild things can be after even 10 years. Trying to apply that to where an art will be... I mean, if they successfully emulated the future of music, that would become the present of music!

2house2fly posted:

Yakuza has some great minigames to be sure

I keep going back to it for my comparisons because it really just nailed the mixture of controls and presentation to make the minigames fun in a way other games don't. Like, bowling. GTA 4 made bowling a goddamn meme, but I honestly enjoyed playing full 10-frame bowling sessions in Yakuza 0. And IRL, I loving hate bowling. And for the handful of you who never played Yakuza, that gif is for a phone dating minigame where you rotate the right analog stick to charge shoot at moving phrases to try and get a date with a girl on the phone.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
the rubber-banding was loving awful, but Beast is big enough to roll right over anything in your way. i used it for all four races and won pretty easily (aside from when i had to reload because i hosed up close to the end and the rubber-banding kept me from catching up)

seriously, gently caress rubber-band AI. just let me loving stomp everyone into the dust or program better racing AI.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Chloe Jessica posted:

the rubber-banding was loving awful, but Beast is big enough to roll right over anything in your way. i used it for all four races and won pretty easily (aside from when i had to reload because i hosed up close to the end and the rubber-banding kept me from catching up)

seriously, gently caress rubber-band AI. just let me loving stomp everyone into the dust or program better racing AI.

They should at least be able to keep up with the vehicle you're given. Closest I came to losing with the beast was when I kept looking back to see if I could watch the other vehicles respawn behind me

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Chloe Jessica posted:

Well there's your problem.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chloe Jessica posted:

So they just straight up used the Witcher 3 horse racing AI for the car races in Cyberpunk then.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One thing I can praise is that the way the story sets up V and Johnny's relationship, the fact that Johnny and V are starting to see eye-to-eye and Johnny starting to respect her has a biting aftertaste where you're not sure if this is because of V's actions or if these actions are better ascribed to Johnny.

Robobot posted:

Well there's your problem.

Cyberpunk 2077: Well there's your problem

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
there was one particular spot in the races where i hosed up repeatedly because there's a sharp turn at the bottom of a hill, and if you're not expecting it you won't slow down, which means that Beast will catch air and soar right past the turn and you'll have to turn around and by then the rubber band will have made everyone blow right past you because of course they don't have that problem

but that's the only instance of outright bad design in the tracks as far as i remember and it's probably equally down to the horribly floaty driving controls.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

HoboTech posted:

Been playing this again, doing the main storyline, just finished up the stuff with the VooDoo boys. Overall was pretty good. I think I'm ready to go to the Afterlife and start that branch.

RE: vehicles and driving. I'm one of those sick freaks that prefer to always play in first person, but I can't manage it in this game while driving, even though I want to. For some reason, and I have no idea why this is the case, but V's eyes seem to be firmly embedded somewhere below their neck and it feels like a toddler trying to drive a car. There's a small selection of cars/bikes where this isn't as much of a problem but that's beside the point. Like when you look at V's model on the Kusanagi, their head is well above the orange glass, yet when you go to first person the glass is right in your face and it blocks the road. There's probably a mod that fixes this but I haven't looked into modding yet (I want to get at least one ending before I Skyrim the poo poo out of this).

Other than that I kinda wish there was more badlands because cruising around on the roads out there and exploring the little gas stations and stuff was pretty neat.

There is a mod - https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/2202
It requires this to work - https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/107

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
looking in a mirror right now and it's not loading my clothes properly and i just want to say that the penis physics are still loving ridiculous

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I thought junks were always covered up except in the menu. Making the option even more ridiculous.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

I've been avoiding driving as much as possible. The hella is way too heavy for a FWD and they could not have picked a worse car to assign you for Act 1. The galena is tolerable but so far nothing has felt good to drive

Edit: NPCs are just dissolving right in front of me. Didn't notice that before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
bikes, my man, bikes

the Kusanagi feels better than anything else ive tried to drive