Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

DancingShade posted:

They'll remaster any old crap but won't remaster Deus Ex 1.

Truly we live in an unjust world.

I am still holding out for Deus Ex RTX to be a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goons waxing for 30 years about the groundbreakingly immersive gameplay of crouch-walking through ventilation shafts will never not be funny as hell to me.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

steinrokkan posted:

There's a complete overhaul mod for Deus Ex on Steam that's supposed to be good, and effectively a remaster

Gotta check that out. Deus Ex was so good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'll let you guys in a super sale going on steam atm.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
IW was a weird sequel. I think I played it at 15 fps on my lovely rig, that probably didn't help

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What a saving. You could even buy it with marketplace jpg money

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

dyzzy posted:

IW was a weird sequel. I think I played it at 15 fps on my lovely rig, that probably didn't help
DXIW was weird in that suddenly Liberty Island, which worked fine as singular map in the original game, had to be split up into four separate sections with load screens. Because the loving consoles. Actually it happened all over the game. Level sections smaller than my broom closet. This is what ruined it for me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If I remember right, each map was a separate .exe so when it "loaded" it was literally shutting down the game and starting a new one. I think Morrowind did something similar on Xbox

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

DXIW was weird in that suddenly Liberty Island, which worked fine as singular map in the original game, had to be split up into four separate sections with load screens. Because the loving consoles. Actually it happened all over the game. Level sections smaller than my broom closet. This is what ruined it for me.

There was a lot of platform tribalism going on in that time so people would die on the hill of insisting that consoles had nothing to do with that and it would cause some amazing multi-page flame wars.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Lots of games are reactive and have branching stories, but if they don’t stop gameplay and put up a big title card telling the player “YOU ARE ABOUT TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT STORY DECISION” then people complain that the game is too linear and has no reactivity.

And for all that people fawn over DX and AP, the former wasn’t as branching as people remember and the latter was a commercial failure that players have to learn to love.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is there a decent, non-sketchy save editor for CP2077? I've already finished it once, and skipping a little grind would be nice.

Just manually editing the .json save files doesn't seem to do anything.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, IW was completely crippled by the tiny RAM of the original Xbox.

It was massively disappointing for someone who loved the original.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is there a decent, non-sketchy save editor for CP2077? I've already finished it once, and skipping a little grind would be nice.

Just manually editing the .json save files doesn't seem to do anything.

The Respector mod lets you add quest completion facts on the fly to your save. I never tried that part of the mod out, but can vouch for how well written the mod is - definitely one of the better ones out there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fallom posted:

There was a lot of platform tribalism going on in that time so people would die on the hill of insisting that consoles had nothing to do with that and it would cause some amazing multi-page flame wars.

At that time, huh?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

v1ld posted:

The Respector mod lets you add quest completion facts on the fly to your save. I never tried that part of the mod out, but can vouch for how well written the mod is - definitely one of the better ones out there.

I'm mostly just looking to add money and stats. Like skip the grind to get technical skills and crafting up, that kind of thing. It's not a huge deal as I enjoy the game well-enough still, and since it's a second playthrough have a better idea how to grind, anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The biggest crime of deus ex invisible war isn't the universal ammo, or it being a bad game in general, or all the endings of the game suck, or the penguins. The worst part of deus ex invisible war was the god ugly awful loving fish eye fps they tried to push as the next huge thing for video gaming.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm mostly just looking to add money and stats. Like skip the grind to get technical skills and crafting up, that kind of thing. It's not a huge deal as I enjoy the game well-enough still, and since it's a second playthrough have a better idea how to grind, anyway.

Then that mod is perfect for you. It allows both stat and item/gear/money manipulation. Has the best item spawner I've seen, also allows crafting of recipe-only items.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finally get a chance to sit down again and put in a few hours, gonna try and do some main missions and not get distracted. I think I did like one. Okay it was two. They were long, though. It sucks being old with responsibilities and no time to play in chunks often enough to absorb what bit of story they give you. Also doesn't help when the whole scifi aesthetic is lost on me. Then it feels like Keanu's disinterest is being projected onto me every time Johnny speaks.

Graphics seldom wow me anymore but sometimes I'm taken aback by some of the facial stuff, like when you're Johnny and you have that whole thing where you gently caress Alt. I strongly recommend pausing and opening your inventory screen during that mission also.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

alex314 posted:

I can't recall any meaningful choices game that also was decently long. Alpha Protocol and some Japanese games come to mind (the kind where you pick where you are and stuff happens on a preset time in locations and you never can hit all of them). And you could remake CP2077 in that way - I'm not sure it would make it a better game though.

Some kind of time pressure would have fixed a lot of cyberpunk’s issues. Shorter runs mean you don’t get deep enough into the skill trees to realize how poo poo they are, and they don’t need to be inflated. The narrative works better when you aren’t spending weeks loving around in the city rather than dealing with your immediate problem. The city having events happen in it separate from you would make it feel like an actual place rather than your playground.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It was maybe not the best combination to try and place a central plot that emphasizes a sense of immediacy and urgency within an open-world sandbox.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ironslave posted:

It was maybe not the best combination to try and place a central plot that emphasizes a sense of immediacy and urgency within an open-world sandbox.

Well you can. It just needs some sort of consequence or reactivity around it.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I doubt anyone here is that much of a whippersnapper that they have no comprehension of the hype cycle.

But for a easy-to-digest conversation - and confirmation that this has been a thing for loving decades - the escapist did this episode of Slightly Something Else: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/the-overhyping-of-aaa-games-slightly-something-else/

(also available on spotify and the like.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Far Cry 5 came up a little upthread, and playing it for the first time I can confirm that it's wildly worse than Cyberpunk 2077 even as a time wasting wander-shooter. Then again it's also worse than just reloading Just Cause 2 or doing a bunch of other things.

It was fun enough in coop mode, but that's more because of who I was playing with than the game itself.

That dumb series peaked with Blood Dragon lol. :catdrugs:

Ironslave posted:

This is true but it's also true of like 500 other open world games.

YOUR CHILD HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY A HOMICIDAL CYBORG HIRED BY A SECRET SOCIETY OF WHACKJOBS WHO BUILT TERMINATORS

*Wanders around gas stations looking for trash to build a pool hall out of*

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 5 was fun, Cyberpunk 2077 isn't.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Far Cry 5 had worse story but WAY better gameplay than Cyberpunk and I hated Far Cry 5 by the time I finished it.

EDIT: I still can't believe the dog couldn't ride in the car with you. What a joke of an alleged AAA game.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 24, 2021

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Far Cry 5 had worse story but WAY better gameplay than Cyberpunk and I hated Far Cry 5 by the time I finished it.

EDIT: I still can't believe the dog couldn't ride in the car with you. What a joke of an alleged AAA game.

Yeah, I would agree that FC5 has better gameplay and a more "live" world than CP2077 but I definitely enjoyed the story and look/sound of CP2077 more.

FC5 is fine for running around mindlessly killing dudes and clearing stuff off the map until the story decides it needs your undivided attention and makes you deal with some cult bullshit.

No, I don't want to run this exact same stupid escape sequence multiple times FC, it sucks and I hate it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Fallom posted:

Well the PS2 and Xbox ended up running games with much, much larger seamless open worlds like GTA San Andreas (as well as original DE), so while hardware limitations obviously impacted game design, that doesn't mean that they did a good job of it or that Invisible War is the limit of what was achievable with the Xbox.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think I liked CP2077 better than Far Cry 5, although it's a close thing and both games have similar issues imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Far Cry 5 had the wingsuit and didn't make you constantly sift through piles of trash. Other parts of the gameplay were pretty similar, disregarding Cyberpunk's bugs and completely non-working mechanics such as cops.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

. Then they set up this whole thing where everyone in the city from the police to gangs to powerful corporations is going to be coming for you. Then most of it just vanishes.

and also they don't really "come for you" outside of scripted instances. otherwise police and gangmembers alike forget you exist the moment you are 10 feet away from them

Jack Trades posted:

Far Cry 5 had the wingsuit and didn't make you constantly sift through piles of trash. Other parts of the gameplay were pretty similar, disregarding Cyberpunk's bugs and completely non-working mechanics such as cops.

the biggest problem with fc5 was that open world loving around style gameplay, which is the strength of those games, would be interrupted and you'd be forced into lovely cutscenes and boring main quest missions. otherwise it was decent

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd say Far Cry 5 was good except for how the main storyline railroaded you into an excessively grimdark edgelordy storyline. Bioshock Infinite was a similar case where a game with good mechanics and visuals was brought down by atrocious writing.

CP2077 suffers from having the main storyline so disconnected from the rest of the world, where I can just spend days skipping time outside a shop to have their inventory refresh when I supposedly have this urgent task to complete/Johnny mind-virusing me into oblivion. Like, I don't actually want to be forced to rush through it and don't much care for timed sequences, but at least give me a semi-justifiable rationalization as to why I am grinding random encounters to level up instead of advancing the plot.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

sean10mm posted:

Far Cry 5 came up a little upthread, and playing it for the first time I can confirm that it's wildly worse than Cyberpunk 2077 even as a time wasting wander-shooter. Then again it's also worse than just reloading Just Cause 2 or doing a bunch of other things.

It was fun enough in coop mode, but that's more because of who I was playing with than the game itself.

That dumb series peaked with Blood Dragon lol. :catdrugs:

This is true but it's also true of like 500 other open world games.

YOUR CHILD HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY A HOMICIDAL CYBORG HIRED BY A SECRET SOCIETY OF WHACKJOBS WHO BUILT TERMINATORS

*Wanders around gas stations looking for trash to build a pool hall out of*
It's true of 500 other games of all kinds, really, from pen-and-paper RPGs to, I dunno, Doom. In the universally-beloved Baldur's Gate 2 a mad wizard steals your soul and kidnaps your sister to perform weird experiments and you spend the first part of the game trying to raise money to buy passage to an island so you can go and confront him. There's nothing stopping you spending half a year murder-hoboing before you finally rouse yourself to go and get your soul back. There's nothing to stop Doomguy from spending 20 minutes grunting at every wall in E1M3 looking for secrets even though he's supposedly the last person left alive in a Martian military base being overrun by hordes of demons. Gordon Freeman can goof off in the test chamber for six hours with no consequences beyond some repeating sound clips about how you really should hurry up and put the sample into the beam, etc.

It's the oldest problem in video-game design, basically. Because computers are dumb calculators that can only execute scripts and have no real creativity, players kinda have to meet the game half-way and agree to buy into the illusion. If they don't want to do that then they'll find the holes pretty quickly.

edit: I guess are a few games that really enforce a time limit or are unapologetic about railroading the player (Fallout 1? Dead Rising 3?) but even then they tend to be very generous about it.

edit2: maybe someone should make a plot timer-mod for CP2077 that leads to a game over after four in-game weeks or whatever. It'd be interesting to see if it's popular or not. It might give the game more replay value if you tweak the time limit so that it's basically impossible to complete more than, say, 1/4 of the other jobs / side missions in a given playthrough.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 24, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wish CP2077 had a New Game + option. I like being able to replay a game with a lot of the grind already done so I can explore other options and focus on getting achievements, and miss it when the option isn't there.

New Game + in some games also just feels better. I've always found it kind of ridiculous when you're playing a game that is set up like "you are the Chosen One, a force to be reckoned with, destined to change the world!" and then is like "here's a kitchen knife, go kill 1000 rats."

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
i think nerds call that 'ludo-narrative dissonance' which is a pretty valid point (nothing like murdering the Emperor of Tamriel during a major crisis, because who needs national leadership during the invasion of Aludin the World-Eater?) but on the other hand, games on rails can be pretty loving boring, and if you want to be a passive observer, books and movies fit that bill a lot better. But yeah, the solution is a pretty heavy suspension of disbelief in the areas where gameplay doesn't meet story.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wish CP2077 had a New Game + option. I like being able to replay a game with a lot of the grind already done so I can explore other options and focus on getting achievements, and miss it when the option isn't there.

New Game + in some games also just feels better. I've always found it kind of ridiculous when you're playing a game that is set up like "you are the Chosen One, a force to be reckoned with, destined to change the world!" and then is like "here's a kitchen knife, go kill 1000 rats."

There was a great post from a cyberpunk dev that said you should not enjoy cdpr games like this, it was quite funny.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Even at 100%ing the game I don’t think I spent more than a few weeks of subjective time in the game. I didn’t touch the time skip button until I got to Kerry. The occasional “relic malfunction detected” while walking around that slows you down, plays a sound effect and introduces a distortion on the screen was enough for me. Too much more would have been really annoying. And the whole framing of a terminal diagnosis is a banger of a framing conceit for a game like this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can't believe it's been over six months since release.

Has CDPR given up on further updates?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

There was a great post from a cyberpunk dev that said you should not enjoy cdpr games like this, it was quite funny.

LOL, I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a "You're having fun wrong!" thing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grouchio posted:

Can't believe it's been over six months since release.

Has CDPR given up on further updates?

I mean they say there are things coming but overall the pace and amount of the changes is pretty weak. Somehow I don't think this one is gonna get all the attention that Witcher 3 got, especially as it kind of seems like most of the gaming world has moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Play posted:

I mean they say there are things coming but overall the pace and amount of the changes is pretty weak. Somehow I don't think this one is gonna get all the attention that Witcher 3 got, especially as it kind of seems like most of the gaming world has moved on.
Braindance speedrun right towards Bankruptcy.