Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

The owner of NeoGaf had some sexual harassment scandal I don't remember the details of and most of the sites membership posted banme's and started Era.

What's funny is that the inciting incident is probably not even top 5 in dumb creepy poo poo he's done. Literally had some travel thread 7-8 years back where he explicitly talked about grabbing foreign rear end and acting like some machismo shitheel, doxxing women over a decade back with amirox who turned out to be an actual pedophile, "just asking questions" about that one muslim kid who made a clock or whatever, though it's not like the userbase that migrated to era was ever much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
TLOU2? I was really sad when the guy who was trying to tear out a little girl's brain without her consent was hunted down and killed. really wrecked me emotionally

mod edit: spoilers

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
No matter your build seems like one perk point in cold blood is a no brainer. Skill tree basically levels itself as you play. Also lol at spamming hacks on every random vending machine you see for free xp

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I use a tech sniper rifle and throw grenades like a lunatic and I'm pretty sure the only time I've seen engineering level up is when I opened a door, fascinating

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The Pickup mission is a complete clusterfuck if you do it a certain way, you're almost better off just spinning the camera around looting while everything dies around you

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Goddamn there is so much in this game that feels like it should have been stamped out or ironed by some producer level editing. Can't complete a quest until I send information to Regina so I try to wander out of the area, nope, I call her, she doesn't give a poo poo, no I have to hit phone then hit message instead which is apparently an option and find the one message I can reply to and then reply to it so the quest will loving end. And that access point minigame, the Human Revolution poo poo was more parseable than that. This game is just so interesting on a fundamental level

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So is Vik the only one who handles eye implants? That would explain paying the debt off at least

Also I tried doing both versions of Heroes and when I got the quick version summoning the bike summoned my car that was supposed to be out for repairs instead lol

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Once you get tech and intelligence to the 10s you can start doing some real dumb poo poo. I don't think I was even in the same room with a single enemy in the last disasterpiece area

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Goddamn 49 street cred

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
mashing that craft button on gas grenades for craft xp so I can then disassemble them for even more craft xp

Disassembling them is also giving me over a 100 xp per grenade for some insane reason

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
well that's crafting to lv 11. Frag grenades giving 300xp when disassembled and not even leaving your inventory if you disassemble them while equipped certainly didn't seem intended though

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I completed full disclosure hours ago and now it's back and wants me to defeat the npc for no reason, cool

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

The Sean posted:

i accidentally slept with a male prostitute so yeah they're in there. no kink shame, either, i just didn't understand what i was agreeing to.

Game tried to pull a fast one with Angel and Skye but I knew what was what

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Randomly browsing Vic's inventory and he had a 50% headshot damage cybermod, finally an eye mod worth caring about

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Cool that the ai is so bad it can hardly find you (or you it) and yet combat won't end until everyone's dead. Also cool that I bought that shock on low health implant so the last guy only nearly instantly killed me instead of game overing when I went into a tech door animation and they phased right through it from the other side

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lol legendary short circuit is absurd, the game almost literally plays itself with a smart assault rifle

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah the Arch is really good and worth the asking price, almost feels like a bike from a game with good driving

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

waffle posted:

Big mood here. I haven't experienced any huge bugs 15 hours in but it's almost as if the game being chock full of atmosphere on the surface makes it all the more obvious that questlines are pretty bland, as well as the actual things you can do in various locations. It is neat but not very fun to continue playing for me.

There's very little reactivity and V's personality of street punk with a heart of gold is laminated, power drilled to the wall, and hermetically sealed. loving Geralt can be more morally ambiguous and he's canonically a saint. The best you can change it is to Fuckup V who uses their Cool to blackmail someone and watches as they pull out a gun and activate their turrets or tells Panam to pound sand every time she wants something so you lose like half a dozen side quests, but that's obviously not a very satisfying way to watch a story unfold

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The (postgame???) iconic smart shotgun is something else, can never go wrong with innate explosive rounds

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

midge posted:

Has anyone managed to get up here? The design suggests the interior scaffolding ladders should work, but they don't.

Aren't you literally staring at a lift in this screenshot

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

nuketulsa posted:

End

How did people who did heavy quickhack take down Smasher? I went high reflex/body and had a 1.2k dps katana I used most of the game and a rifle for backup. I slashed him a bunch and he died like everyone else. I never found suicide/gernade quickhacks... so I'm just curious I guess.

e: played on hard

Legendary short circuit's passive effect is so broken you can feasibly kill lv 50 enemies at half the appropriate level. Though you still die instantly at any stray bullet so I still had to drop the difficulty to easy for the secret ending

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Outer Worlds is so painfully a 7/10 that it feels like a 6 or a soft 5

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

the only game i have ever played with a legit timer was pathfinder whatever and that poo poo sucked

Time doesn't matter in that game unless you're incredibly OCD about your kingdom's meaningless stats or you're being a moron and camping over and over again without any rations or nature specced companions. They literally give you like 6 years and each main story beat has a month or two of leeway before you start getting punished for ignoring the problem.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I played a couple of hours of PoE1 and the astonishingly generic yet incredibly verbose fantasy bored my tits off.

Yeah it's terrible, OS2 and Kingmaker are way more engaging. There are a few nuggets and chuckles buried in there though, anything with Durance or Zahua. Little gremlin guy can say something not insomnia curing every now and then too. But boy do you have to dig for that poo poo. At least it's better than Deadfire where nearly every line of dialogue is offensively stupid or banal, it's a mercy whenever there's a stoic ... option

2house2fly posted:

Why even have options that aren't viable? Isn't it a waste of the programmers' time to put that stuff in the game? Considering how buggy those Pathfinder games are, the programmers surely need all the time they can get...

Not optimal does not mean not viable. You can complete Kingmaker on hard with pretty much any single class or archetype. The only real issues are that some of the base classes are simply inferior to their archetype branches with no real flavorful boon and some archetypes don't translate well into crpgs or are tailored for specific campaigns and scenarios (this extends to some of the feat bloat as well). Luckily Owlcat realizes what people really want so in WotR you can be something much more grounded like a fae blooded kitsune lich sorcerer who rides a triceratops

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

After a couple of playthroughs I think perhaps the biggest shortcoming in the game is how divorced the main storyline is from the side content, and how it seems like there was probably an intent to have the side content be more coherent but it got abandoned in crunch mode.

All the fundamentals are there for a faction-based conquest kind of mode, with the city broken up into districts with a specific gang controlling each. Being able to take control of a neighborhood, establish a headquarters, have random events like gang incursions or police raids and such. Similarly, if you have negative reputation with a faction they would be more likely to show up and aggro you if you were in their district, instead of everyone ignoring you until you shoot them in the head.

As it stands, nothing you do matters. I kill dozens of Valentinos, just absolutely massacre them, and the end result is nothing changes. I faceroll every gang member I see, nothing changes. I take out scads of Arasaka troops and mechs, nothing changes. I shoot a cop, it suddenly becomes a wave survival shooter, until I run away, and nothing changes.

I feel like a reputation system was intended, but got scrapped in the interest of rushing the release.

It's pretty obvious that the prologue act 1 missions were the only things created with their intended W3 style design and everything else, including many other main missions and probably the hour long origin stories, is whatever they could cobble together in a year or two or however long it was. The pick up mission is so flagrant in how it's supposed to set up the Big Consequences style gameplay that never materializes past some random Johnny checks for the secret ending

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 6, 2021

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I played Morrowind a year ago and it was hot garbage even compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. Worse characters, worse quests, worse dungeons (after the fifth or sixth generic egg mine or 4 room ancient tombs with nothing in them I stopped caring entirely about what lay beyond the beaten path), that awful town Vivec, that godforsaken single song that plays constantly, an interminably slow movement speed even with maxed stats and the cheat boots, and a main quest that consisted 60% of trundling through poorly laid out towns and tribal camps to fetch and deliver notes and books. Doesn't help that the game starts flailing and screaming wildly if you randomly find a piece of ebony or daedric gear or god forbid level up beyond lv 15 and have competent stats. Tribunal was a bit better in most regards but they had to turn every basic goblin into a brick shithouse to combat how broken everything is and that kind of arms races winds up just bogging things down even further. But sure, muh mushrooms and muh bug carapaces I guess

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I always thought FO4 was alright, like, a good time.
Stories never really bother me much so maybe that's why I don't hate it

4 is a far better technical game than 3, but 3 and NV's leveling and stat system is just more satisfying. Number go up tends to trump nebulous perk descriptions in the feeling department (though Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk make 4's perk tree look a more appealing in hindsight). 4 is also way too bloated contentwise for how quickly you smash the balance curve in that game (outright being given power armor 2 hours in didn't help matters), I made it to like hour 60 on a replay and still had central Boston and the eastern side of the map to contend with not even counting Far Harbor or Nuka World and I just had to tap out.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Locking romances is fine, but it works poorly when there are only a few options total

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Most people who like RPGs like them for reasons other than the combat, because the combat is usually terrible

yeah you play morrowind for the amazing characters and deeply intricate quests instead. Or the magic/alchemy system that's basically the equivalent of running gmod and turning god mode on

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Verdugo posted:

I like Female V, but the delivery sometimes is weird. I am having a cool conversation with someone, and all of a sudden she goes from Normal V to Sneering Pissed Off V for no apparent reason.

Mass Effect 2 has this same issue, where femshep turns on her "sexual harassment in the workplace" voice whenever she's in Jacob's vicinity

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I guess he should have sent CDPR to inform them, because it sounds like they just might have made a sandbox expansion for a terrarium game. Like “new cop skirmishes! New car battles!” hits different if there’s a * only included in DLC content in the fine print. You hear those things and think “oh drat this changes the whole game”

And for what it’s worth I agree with my fellow autist — I can and have spent hours taking these things apart, though I would digress and expound over Dashiel Hammett instead of Kobo Abe or Junichiro Tanazaki or some other “not your average weeb” poo poo. But I can also summate in three sentences:
1. Have you played MAFIA?
2. This game is like MAFIA.
3. Just because New Jersey (/ Pacifica) is there does not mean you should go to that place without being asked.

It’s not precisely game space without function — if nothing else, appreciating art design is a function — but YMMV.

Personally I barely tolerate much of the high 90s TTRPG sourcebook aesthetic and actively hate the pointedly inescapable, sub-Robocop consumerist satire which infuses nearly every visual location in the game. I appreciate that totality of vision (the Souls games, or Alien: Isolation for that matter, have visions I love to immerse in), but I don’t actually enjoy it.

I do love the desert areas, at least. Beautiful renderings. Makes me nostalgic for the actual American southwest.

It's hilarious that they patched out almost all the looter shooter poo poo. Identity Crisis, The Game

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Why are half the twitch drops unlocked in October it's one outfit lol

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Sometimes my Electro Launcher does an additional 800-1000 damage that instantly kills everything and I have no idea why. If you can figure out why it does that then it's probably good now

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Further Reading posted:

Do you have the weak points relic perks? One of the effects is if a weak point is destroyed they blow up doing electric damage, so maybe your projectiles are hitting a bunch of weak points.

No I just got anally devastated by Johnny's Very Hard chase sequence during the VDB questline

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

The thing with Smasher is....

That we have no real reason to have a feud with him. Ok, so depending on your choices he might kill Rogue or Saul. But he's just doing his job as head of security, at a site that we chose to break in. Now had he killed Jackie in some gruesome way during the prologue, we would at least have a cause to carry a grudge. But even that did not happen.

The guy really just wants to be left alone, make some money on the side, install new cyberware and polish his chrome parts.

Smasher and Yorinobu feel like the last non-Judy vestigial bits of Act 1 that just barely made the cut due to how insanely important they should be plotwise (though Yori gets relegated to a single ending that barely anyone will actively choose). Game really needed a mid game mission where Smasher goes Mr. X on you. Also I forgot about the Fat Evil mayor who gets offscreened and dumped into River's storyline with barely any fanfare, was funny hearing those news reports again at the start of Act 2

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Because Starfield had the personality and charm of a lump of beige plastic. Everything is so... sterile. It feels like they tried to make the most inoffensive game possible, and ended up just sanding off every possible edge, and the end result just pleases no one.
Cyberpunk was a hot mess when it came out, but it at least had... something. It had a small quest where you can help a dude with a cock implant get to a doctor before his crotch explodes. It had a quest where you help an in game famous pop singer cover up an accidental manslaughter.

Yeah Starfield was really missing some lovely eceleb cameos. Maybe they could've ripped off a The Office joke wholesale too

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tirranek posted:

Agree that the reference jokes largely fell flat or went on for too long. Cameos or not the missions were fine, though. I want to like Starfield but it feels like you’re trapped in a holodeck by an AI that means well but doesn’t understand people.

The mission where some guy asks you to get his fork back and you walk directly over to the next shop 5 meters away and talk to the other guy who goes without any prompting Sure he can have his fork back really set the tone for the rest of Todd's magnum opus yeah

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

What do ya'll think about money and prices in 2.0, because I'm a little confused.

It seems like weapons are priced much, much higher than anything else? Everything else in the game - the money you earn from biz, or that you pick up off of enemies or the environment, it's all of an amount that broadly fits with the prices in the game for cyberware, for clothing, for vehicles and apartments, and for quest triggers:

Gorilla Arms:$30k
Cheapest Car: ~$2k
Apartment (cheapest to priciest): $10k-$100k)
Funding for a certain Quest: $15k

That all broadly fits, it's all more or less in a relationship with each other. But if you go on just a couple of combat missions, you'll end up tens of thousands of eddies with basically no effort, very quickly. I'm at the point where blue guns are filling up my bag and they're selling for maybe $5k each, which is much more than fixers want give me for biz. Ditto for buying guns - a blue has a price that rivals apartments.

It makes me not want to engage in most of the money making mechanics - why do I care if there's a gig near by if the reward isn't nearly worth my time? It also eliminates the cycle of anticipation and reward, that slow and steady power progression, central to any RPG.

Personally, by the time I started picking up and selling green guns regularly, I made the decision to never sell them an only scrap 'em for parts. It's kept me cash poor, and I'd rather that than be swimming eddies to the point that buying anything is trivial. It also effectively means I can't buy a weapon unless I'm dead certain I want it, so I won't buy any random pistol, but I'll spent fifty k on frag grenades.

So what the hell's going on here? Why are weapons priced so out of proportion to everything else? Has anyone else been bothered by this, and if so are you trying to do anything to "curate" you income?

The level scaling made most of the experience and money making ventures largely pointless yeah. I remember in 1.0 you had to at least do a couple circuits around Watson and Northside before you could even think about dipping your toes anywhere else

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I like how Johnny chastises you for taking the obviously sketchy drugs that you're forced to in order to do Paco's lovely quest. And then after another thrilling segment where I'm not playing my own character half my cyberware explodes off my body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

JBP posted:

There should be a way to get a "good" ending with Arasaka imo. I don't know what happens if you go the hanako route, but joining them as an enforcer should be an ending.

There was a leaked Devil+ ending that never panned out