Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"I’m taken by how relentlessly hopeful Cyberpunk is." --reviewer at PCgamer, describing what sounds like a meta-commentary critique on the genre of cyberpunk if Cyberpunk 2077 turned out to be post-cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Games › Cyberpunk 2077 - This Game is Horny
:chast2b:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do any of the reviews mention whether reviewers got the day-one patch included in the copy they played?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I am expecting terrible, possibly even famously awful jank and I'm still excited to play it but I recognize I might be in the minority there.
Heck no, a lot people including me love eurojank.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

Kingdom Come Deliverance was an amazing game, and it was pretty much the poster child for eurojank.
Yep, and I loving loved that game.
Similar situation with X4 - Janky as gently caress, but I played over 200 hours of it and plan to jump back in a few expansions from now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Yea, there's a difference between "lol that guy clipped through the car because the doors didn't open" or "Haha that model just phys-glitched across the room" VS "Oh, another crash to desktop" or "COOL my save file got corrupted" like AC:V was exhibiting.
What about console-bricking games like the spiderman game?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Slumpy posted:

I don't know what it means when theres too much poo poo "you can do thats not important to the story"

does that mean like, sure you can play yakuza 0 and not do the dancing and karaoke or is it like "you can collect coins that unlock an achievement". because 1 is fun and has songs that i listen to while looking at hentai to immerse myself, the other is for the dopamine "ding" sound that i dont care about cuz i dont have a functioning chemical maker
That's always going to be a question that pre-/around-launch game reviewers cannot answer, because their deadlines simply don't allow for it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

Lol Denuvo on GOG for the review copies
Link? Because that's loving hilarious.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i love my deep sim type poo poo but i dont think every rpg should be the Star citzen pitch. i play these games for dumb weird poo poo and violence and weird stories.
If every game was a Star Citizen pitch, there wouldn't be any games.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vorik posted:

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will be affect performance much.
Quite a lot, if it's not well-implemented - and it's Denuvo which is well-known for degrading performance.
About the only way to get good performance with something like this would be to implement it using dtrace on Windows 10, but that's not available out-of-the-box.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vorik posted:

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will affect benchmark results much.
To further illustrate Denuvo performance issues, there's this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

repiv posted:

With VM packers like Denuvo it depends on which parts of the executable get transformed, they're supposed to carefully mark out non-performance-critical sections to be DRMed but for a press-only release I could see them half assing that and letting it insert checks wherever
They're full of poo poo, demonstrably so.

Even dtrace, which is an entire virtual machine implemented for the sole purpose of doing machine-wide tracing on very busy production systems, and which has been worked on for decades, measurably degrades performance if you ask it to trace the wrong things.
Since anti-tampering technologies relies on tracing everything, it'll undoubtedly trace the wrong things.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That's Pilou Asbæk, who is the same actor who played Euron Greyjoy in the end of Game of Thrones.

I almost feel bad for him, guy keeps stumbling into massive disasters.
He's good in Borgen, the Danish TV series.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

is it possible to do a full nudist run or do they make you put pants on for some things
Pants are forced for parts of the story, unfortunately.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I had expectations for the OST, but I didn't expect to be as completely blown away as I have been.
The EDM is loving superb, and there's even an ambient track that's used during the intro, which is 100% inspired by Vangelis' Blade Runner Blues.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Turn off film grain/motion blur/depth of field/chromatic aberration.

It really doesn't look half bad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This post contains spoilers about a certain taxi company which is available after things happen with the bot from the trailer, so proceed with caution, choombattas.

I'm absolute chuffed about the different personalities displayed by the vehicles have splintered from Delamain.

I recognize at least:

• GLaDOS
  • Marvin the Paranoid Android
  • S.H.O.D.A.N or HAL9000
  • The one with the pink flamingos seem so drat familiar, but I just can't place it.

Also, the hint that Delamain might be from outside the Blackwall, that's loving rad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Level 29 with 50 street cred from side questing, and I've only progressed the main story far enough to unlock Johnny.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Namakopuri and they loving nailed it
That song has infected my brain, I'm afraid I'll get Stockholms syndrome.

Zaphod42 posted:

I have a feeling all of the Delamain quests are sci-fi pop culture references. One of them is straight up GLADOS
There's also a reference to Marvin the Paranoid Android who's depressed, and HAL9000/S.H.O.D.A.N.

It's also interesting that they hint that either Delamain is from beyond the Blackwall, was created by a German company which name translates to Old World Order, or that the German company is a front for Delamain to get a way inside the Blackwall, since they stop responding once Delamain is installed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm slightly disappointed that they call them dataterms, because the ~original~ name used to be System Access Node, and it's what I used as a gimmick for my avatar/title.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bus hustler posted:

in all of the "not in good faith" stuff about this game how about realizing that the PC version has bugs but is playable and fun and the console version isn't playable or fun.

Like the game has an 87 and good reviews because they did not let anyone review the console version - people's view of history is about 2 hours long. The reviews on metacritic are amalgamated for all releases.
I feel bad for the console peeps out there, because modern consoles are just older-generation PCs which can't be easily patched because of restrictions from Sony and Microsoft.
Having said that, should GDPR have delayed for consoles? Absolutely.

I still have fun in the game though, and my PC is a 10-year old workstation (except for the graphics card).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The PC version is far from fine, especially once you get past the earlier and relatively polished part of the game. But compared to the console versions it does at least run, which counts for something I guess
It seems to me that there's some people who have a lot more problems on PC than others - some mention plenty of crashes, whereas I've yet to have a single one, and I'm more than 100 hours into the game.
I've had a few quests that bugged out, but that was primarily because I triggered them the wrong way (one example being Cyberpsychosis: Smoke On The Water, which I triggered by walking close to the car underneath the pier, when the action of the mission happens up on the pier).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think we can compare this game to daikatana because this game didn't have a outspoken front man and they didnt take out bad magazine adds.

I think we should called it "the people's daikatana" because all the hype was built up by the internet people being gullible.
I think this is a very good point. I have an almost-instinctual dislike of hype surrounding anything, so I managed to stay away from anything related to this game and just went into it without much of any expectation beyond that it's a cyberpunk game with Mike Pondsmith involved in the creative department.

I also have trouble understanding why people set themselves up for disappointment by getting hyped up to the point that nothing can possibly satisfy their expectations, no matter what.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would have said similar for my first many hours, but going into act 3 and the capstone of some sidequest chains even the scripted quest content starts to take a dive, culminating in an extremely important trigger for the end of the game that is so hopelessly bugged and opaque that even now no one seems to know how it works much less what their intent was. And that's entirely leaving aside a whole lot of rot under the floorboards with game systems. The game needs a lot of help to be complete even on PC, it sucks that more attention will surely go to fixing the unfixable on consoles.
My guess would be that CDPR is planning to roll game-update into the expansions they're planning on, which is what they did with Witcher 3, if memory serves - so console users will get the patches ~eventually~.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i got lucky being able to see the e3 demo at e3 and the final game matched up well enough with what i saw. i think lots of folks thought this would be another witcher 3 which would "reinvent" the Western RPG again, They do deserve most of the poo poo they're getting but I don't get the revelling some people seem to do at the failure of something that was genuinely promising, not talking about Cyberpunk specifically but CDPR as an independent developer that didn't want DRM, didn't want to nickel and dime people for DLC, a company that believed that (or at least said so at the time) the best way forward for them was to carry on doing what they were doing, only bigger.
I think CDPR deserves constructive criticism, because that's something they can do something about - not.. whatever it is that's going on at present.
I also think, based on their past behaviour, which is usually a better guide than what people say, that they intend to really patch the absolute poo poo out of the game and make it what it was intended to be at launch.

Basically, I hope they learn from it, and take their time with the next title.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think one takeaway from all this is more appreciation of what a landmark witcher 3 was. Everything really came together for that game in a serendipitous way and it shouldn't have been taken as the baseline going forward, hype wise
The obvious counterpoint to this is that Witcher 3 was a buggy mess when it came out too, so that people expected CDPR to release a bug-free game really should've known better.
Still, CDPR could've done a lot better by delaying the game more.

I would be interested to know if CDPR uses static analysis (Coverty, PVS-Studio, et cetera), fuzzing (American Fuzzy Loop), and various sanitizers like the ones found in LLVM (specifically address, threading, and memory sanitization) - because these are some of the tools that're known to be helpful in eliminating bugs, and all of them can be done programmatically and in an automated way, as part of the development cycle.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The witcher 3 had bugs sure, but I think the big obvious thing is it was at least playable on all the platforms it was released on. I mainlined it on launch and had a generally smooth experience, granted on PC.
It also targeted a much different hardware platform than Cyberpunk 2077 does; it got released in 2015 when the then-newest generation of consoles was using a low-power CPU architecture that was released in 2013, and bears no relationship with a modern CPU design from either Intel or AMD. Heck, my workstation from 2010 was more powerful than the PS4.
Meanwhile, Cyberpunk 2077 was likely intended to be on the now-newest generation of consoles (which are still not really equivalent to the highest-end PCs).

Contrast that with Cyberpunk 2077 which is one of the first titles I know of to use both something equivalent to indirect functions which optimize the game based on the micro-architectural design of the CPU, exemplified by the use of AVX instructions which the game is also one of the first I know of to use (although clearly their implementation isn't perfect, as it's lead to repeatable crashes on CPUs that don't implement AVX).
Indirect functions are a new thing, GCC only started supporting them around 2016-2017, and FreeBSD started supporting them around 2018.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Escape Goat posted:

I don't know much about systems / game programming since most of my career has been spent on the web side, but I do find it pretty suspicious that this game straight up _crashes_ consoles. That seems pretty absurd in 2020 and definitely should not pass certification.

Some of the bugs hint at pretty sloppy programming in general as opposed to just "open world jank". Probably lots of rushed stuff, and lots of gutted systems.
What it tells me is that console certification, which is what prevents CDPR from patching on consoles, is loving pointless.
As I wrote in my other post, consoles are just out-dated cheap-ish PCs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Josh Sawyer/Rope Kid posted some thoughtful critiques. First, the UI:

Then, he articulates why the perks and loot have largely been unsatisfying for me:
This is exactly the kind of constructive feedback CDPR should have.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

the delamain quest, the yelling idiot and that moron with dick problems are the low points of the game so far
Brendans quest is quite probably the best one in the entire game.

I cried a little.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah, the game looks like the art team had 7 years to create assets and plays like programming team had only ~2.5 years of pure crunch. I wouldn’t be surprised if real development only started about 6 months before that 2018 E3 demo.
I'm not sure you have any conceptual understanding of how long it takes to program something - but even assuming that the teams didn't have equal amounts of time to work on the game, and that they're using an in-house engine which they're familiar with, there's still on the order of millions of lines of code involved in something like this.
If we assume that bad developers write 1 bug for every 10 lines of code, decent developers write bugs for every 100 lines of code, and the best developers in the world write bugs for every 1000 lines of code - that still means there's on the order of 10000 to 100000 bugs in the the game.
That's why in a previous post I mentioned that I was wondering if CDPR uses static analysis, fuzzing, and sanitizers - because they're the only ways to detect the vast majority of all these bugs, short of implementing pair-programming for everyone (which doubles the cost of the dev-team and extends the time it takes to make something).

Add to that that it's estimated that the mental model for code, ie. how much you can keep in your head at any given time, is on the lines of around 100000 lines of code, you might get an inkling of the kinds of problems that are inherit to development of any kind beyond a certain hobby-project scale.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

dyzzy posted:

Apparently save files that reach a certain size become unplayable, and before that cause loads to be very long

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/save-files-are-corrupted.11052596/

Speculated to be related to repeated crafting.
I wonder if the person has an SSD - because even my Intel SSD 520 (from 2012) loads the game extremely fast.

Save-files are typically done via streaming I/O, so saving to disk and loading into memory is typically much faster than random I/O - but the game also has a "Slow disk"-mode in the settings, which I believe is intended to be used if people don't have an SSD.

It doesn't surprise me at all that save-games grow so big in this game, it's basically a problem for any game with a persistent world and quests that form an inter-dependent graph.
I don't buy that the size has anything to do with corruption, though - I do buy that harddisks eat peoples data all the time, which is why ZFS exists.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeeeep there's a reason why Carmack started talking about static analysis a ton in the last few quakecon keynotes before he left. It was kinda assumed that bugs would go away as programming became more mature and that isn't the case, the larger the scale the more of the basic types of problems creep into the development and the more you need things like you mentioned to catch it all.
I wanna know who the gently caress thought that, so I can go frown at them, because that's just about the dumbest thing I've heard since the essay I wrote in like 6th grade about how everything that would be invented had already been invented (well, I got an A because it was well-written, but loving hell it was a dumb idea).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

That's a good one. In like 2000 you could walk down a major street in Montreal and see topless advertising every block. With Europe being a cultural leader again for the US in the Cyberpunk timeline, it makes sense that some of the sensibility about sexual content would loosen in Night City as well.
In Aalborg, Denmark there's been an advertisement for breast surgery, with bare breasts on full display, on the busses for... half a decade?

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't quite buy it... Cyberpunk's world isn't really persistent. You can't drop a gun in a building and then leave and save and load your save and come back, the loot will be gone or different at that point, right?
Which I'm fine with.

But that's why skyrim file sizes grow, they save eeeeeeverything.

I guess Cyberpunk does have to at least save what all loot you've looted, which is potentially a lot after awhile.
I do believe there's some amount of clean-up in the game-world - but even with garbage collection, it also depends on how state in-game is tracked.
I haven't taken time yet to investigate savegames with a hex editor, but I think I will at one point once I've finished the game - so as to not spoil myself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tei posted:

I have decide my character is not going to simp for Panam. She can fall in my lap if she sway that way, but I am not going to get her to like my side.
It seems like romancing Panam or Judy depends on the gender chosen, and they aren't just going jump the player at the first chance.

There's even a lesbian U-Haul joke, which I enjoyed because I've been reading way too many lesbian romance books lately.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zephro posted:

Yeah, any complicated programming project is going to be absolutely full of bugs and big AAA games are some of the most complicated projects out there. It sucks that serious launch bugs and day-one patches are an established part of the industry now but I genuinely don't know what you do about it, unless the answer is to drastically down-spec games and just release stuff that's too simple to suffer from too many bugs.

I think maybe the biggest problem with Cyberpunk specifically was them trying to both push the envelope graphically on modern hardware like the PS5 and a decent PC, while also supporting two consoles that are absolutely archaically old. The PS4 and Xbone are literally seven-year-old lumps of PC hardware that were mid-range even at launch.

It would be like trying to come up with a version of Half Life that runs on a 486 but also a Pentium II with a 3d graphics card.

They should have just launched it on PS5/ XBX and PC and called it a day, but oh well.

fake edit: once again though, some of this feels like people coming down off the hype high. Game is good, it's just not literally God's second act of creation or whatever people had worked themselves up into hoping for.
PS4 and Xbone aren't just 7 year old hardware, they're seven year old low-power-envelope hardware with a completely different design.

Assuming the PS4 CPU is roughly equivalent to a mobile APU of the time, this is the kind of difference there is between the two CPUs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

what in the holy gently caress is that bullshit mine cyberpsycho fight
It's trivial if you're a netrunner.
In fact, every cyberpsycho fight is trivial if you've got a the legendary deck that decreases cooldown and upload time by a massive percentage and just use the System Reset quickhack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Section Z posted:

Cool seen it all hackers: Ugh, it is so boring I can just hack these people into submission.

Me, a complete gently caress up: "Oh god oh god oh god why won't System Reset upload faster!?" as a military cyber psycho teleport dodges his way towards me with a shotgun.
There's a legendary deck that reduces upload time by like 75%, and also reduces cooldown by a heck of a lot. Can't remember where I found it, though I'm pretty sure it was just at a ripperdoc.

There's also a deck that gives you berserk, and some mods for berserk that make it ABSOLUTELY INSANE for melee builds.
There's also a way to get slow-time-at-will with cyberdeck+mods, and I think that combines with the option of slowing time when dodging and making it so you can shoot while dodging, so you can literally become Neo from Matrix.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 18, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

They don't stack atm. Depending if cd project red is around in janurary.
I'm fairly sure crit is limited at 76% - I'm doing a netrunner with smartgun (Skippy), and even if I put on gear with crit on, it doesn't go up anymore.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Please never make a deal with a dragon....
That went completely over my head :(

Firstborn posted:

There's no cool way to spin "an actual loving dragon runs X corporation". Or at least, the way Shadowrun handles it is way less interesting than Cyberpunk
I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but I think in general fantasy doesn't make for very exciting worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah fantasy is straight dogshit, you are correct.
I don't think it's straight dogshit, as there's a few fantasy novels even I like - The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy stand out as examples, but part of that is absolutely nostalgia and the care Tolkien took with the linguistics of the world.
I think there's a fundamental problem with fantasy, where none of the characters can even attempt to reason about how something works, because it's just magic - there is no explaining magic.
At least with (good) science fiction, the author can invent a bunch of bullshit but make it sound believable and thereby do a lot of world-building - which, incidentally, is best exemplified by Hannu Rajaniemis The Quantum Thief, which is also hella cyberpunk.