Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

itry posted:

I added some entries to the genre recommendations part of the OP.

That's understandable, but there's also the reported lack of review codes being given. And giving review codes so close to the release time will result in subpar reviews as people rush to compile their impressions. So that's counterproductive.

oooh, nice post. I'll add some to it...

Novel: The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)
TV: Mr. Robot
Video Games: Shadowrun series, e.g. Shadowrun Returns (!!!)
Video Games: Syndicate (original, early 90s)
Book: The Quantum Thief, Hannu Rajaniemi (far future, so, postcyberpunk)

A broad list is available here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cyberpunk_works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone cancelling a pre-order based on the reviews saying it's a bugfest?

I haven't ordered yet and I'm wavering. May be able to get it on sale by the time some good patches have come in.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

benchmarks here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-performance-preview

edit: yikes it's a hog

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Are there any actual in-game pre-order exclusive bonuses for CP2077? at https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077 the only "pre-order" bonus is a discount for buying real life merch. the other bonuses, including in-game content, are not explicitly limited to pre-orders.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

am I understanding correctly that I need to clear out 75gb game + 50gb patch + 28gb 2nd patch ~160 gb for this game ?

need a :comcast: emote for people with data caps

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

1440p supposedly-official-nvidia leaked benchmarks from the GPU thread

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like day 1 or 2, thats legit "someone get hurt and we will get sued" type stuff.

They don’t get successfully sued, it’s covered in the EULA.

But yeah PR wise and just being good people they should patch it ASAP.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Giant Bomb’s quick look is live now

hot takes from the site that also hated Disco Elysium and Witcher 3 at launch, I'm sure

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Members of GB liked Disco Elysium and was one of their top 10 games of 2019.

their quick look pooped all over it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Alex and Abby don’t represent all of GB.

w/e, jeff hated TW3, I'm not gonna listen to his opinion or preview of CP2077. I'll judge for myself.

I've just seen that site having a lot of high profile bad takes on good games.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dex_sda posted:

fwiw jeff from giant bomb also was down on crafting, said the whole system felt really superfluous.

we already covered him having bad takes a few pages ago or w/e

but it is the guy who gave RDR2 a score of 2/5

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

wyoak posted:

gog telling me i have 0mb of a 0mb download to finish

hell, same for a bit. took a few minutes then it started the real 241MB dl

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

me and my 1070 are goin' in, boys:

pray for me

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

aim assist is on by default on PC?

I hope that does not apply to keyboard+mouse?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

black.lion posted:

Hopefully it detected you had a controller connected and activated it?

I do not have a controller. I'm just looking at the settings menu, have not made character yet

aim assist "standard" is the default setting and not greyed out or w/e

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the GOG "extras" sourcebook PDF appears to be a 258 page scan of the original 1991 CP sourcebook

neato

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GOG extras also have the entire OST in mp3, wav, and flac formats

~37 mp3's

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the GOG extras "Big City Dreams" comic PDF is ~286MB and 53 pages

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

stev posted:

How is this possible when everyone staring at a progress bar?

bought it on GOG, no need for a progress bar, already in-game

:smug:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've been watching credits roll while alt-tabbed for like 15 minutes

there are a lot of people in the game's credits

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

quote from the "Future Shock" section of the CP sourcebook included as GOG extras PDF:

quote:

In the United States, thirty-two years of corrupt government and economic destabilization have resulted in a nation divided- by class, by race and by economics. By the end of the 1980's, it was evident that the nation was in trouble. Most social norms had dissolved under an all engulfing wave of competing special interest groups, media fueled fads, and an overall "me first" worldview.

yeah, that checks out

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

there's a section in the credits for "cyberpunk babies"

it's long.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

me and my 1070 are goin' in, boys:

pray for me

update: getting 17-25 fps in combat tutorial area and job scenes just afterward

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

seriously I can't stop hearing the corpo male V in Henry Rollins' voice

it's so similar to a younger Henry

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

update after newbie mission job 1: game owns

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I'm assuming eight people have already commented on the three shells

haha where, post screenshot. I'm not far in but I missed it

edit: dont post if it's spoiler-y

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sedisp posted:

huh, I'm getting a steady 30 at high preset with a the same card and a 6600k

check my settings screenshot friend, I was not on high preset, I'm a masochist

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

By the way, was anyone else kinda disappointed with the lifepath intros? I didn't really expect them to be super long, but they're seriously like 20 minutes.

they're just prologue, I'd be annoyed if they were any longer because you have to run through them each time you start a new character

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Does everyone feel the same way about this - Was Witcher 3 this bad on launch?

I think people forget how buggy TW3 was at launch. Just start at 1.03 and read its patch notes for some versions going forward:
https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Category:The_Witcher_3_patches

they patched a MASSIVE amount of things in TW3 over time

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

It's more realistic to think it will be clearly improved by... mid February.

probably around the time a human will be able to buy a 3xxx series GPU without resorting to scalpers, bots, discord alerts, etc.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

trivial but spoiler question:

should I be looting things as soon as I get into the prologue (like stuff on floors)? or will all my loot be wiped away by something down the line before the game gets fully rolling?

street kid background if it matters

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Early game katana is very fun, but I don't know if that's because the weapon is good or because I've been able to upgrade it about ten times when I've been able to upgrade my pistol...twice? Can't really tell why from the upgrade screen, either.

Either way, chopping guys is good stuff.

Glad to hear, I may go melee on first run since I can only get 40 FPS and I imagine that affects gunplay more

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

if I mod my eyes can I recover // replace the mod or how does upgrading mods work exactly

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

Re mouse smoothing, I fiddled with that input-smoothing setting when I first got the game. It's definitely better now, but that might also be because I whacked the graphics settings down to boost the framerate. If it's integrating input between frames then the more frames per second you have the less you will notice it.

It still doesn't feel as snappy as Quake 3 or whatever (and I'm playing without aim assist because I'm not a wuss :colbert:) but it's definitely better than it was.

I only saw one smoothing option in the settings menus and it was under a controller sub-menu?

but it affects the mouse?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Yeah but cross that guy with Henry Rollins from Johnny Mnemonic

I mentioned it way earlier in thread, but, male V's voice sounds uncannily like a younger Rollins.

I can't unhear it.

uncanny = almost like but not exactly but still really too close so that I only think of it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Bumping into Hideo Kojima was awesome and he looked amazing.

I let the game credits scroll for like 30 minutes on launch night

somewhere vaguely near the end there's a credit for the sunglass designer / sunglasses Kojima wears in-game

I am yet to encounter him in-game so please don't spoil location

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lalaland posted:

Also, i got something from the steam forums for those craving more fps: Apparently if you go to the game exe -> right click -> properties -> compatibility -> check turn off full screen optimization it can lead to more fps. I got about 5 fps more on average with this.

Interesting comment. From some googling, it seems that choosing to "disable full screen optimization" may slow alt-tab times and possibly interfere with overlays (steam, GOG, nvidia, etc.). But that it may help with FPS and input lag.

Anyone else try that? How'd it go?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

there's a good character planner here: https://nukesdragons.com/cyberpunk-2077/character

I've decided my first run is gonna be heavy on blunt melee (athletics/brawler) and tech crafting/engineering, with some stealth/cold blood to help out the melee efforts. Minimal INT to get by doing a little hacking. Still level 1 so I've only wasted 1 extra attribute point in reflex.

Once I get a 3xxx series video card I'll revisit guns.

What builds are you guys trying?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

I'm gonna do every point into INT until 20 , then whatever

because INT can do basically everything: craft all your quickhacks, make $$$, all your combat, hack environmental objects. Only thing you really miss is opening locked doors (body, tech)

aw man if body/tech are redundant for exploration then I'm re-evaluating my plan.

maybe I should make my secondary tree INT instead of TECH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vichan posted:

Welcome to the next generation of gaming.

I haven't seen any textures that bad on my midrange PC. Seems like 8-year-old consoles are bearing the brunt of angry reports so far.