Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I remember a few months ago when the character creations options were hinted at and some people were upset about 2 peniseses vs 1 vagina option and it was really obvious it was to include circumcision and not some sort of penis bias (at least in that case).

Cyberpunk confirmed to be highly misogynistic by including male genital mutilation options but not including female genital mutilation options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Imagine writing a review of a TV show based on the first four episodes. :shrug:

That's what a lot of reviewers did for The Witcher TV Series hence this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the game have an autistic character or did the autism representation in mainstream media get scuffed again? This is very important.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

Did mainstream media ever have any good autism representation at all?

No but I thought to mention that while we're on the topic of the lack of representation in media.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shammypants posted:

This is a game you play on PC with a controller right? I am reading this is more natural like Mon Hun.

It's an FPS so...no?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Sterling is a fat hack who does lovely clickbait for a living.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CDPR clearly hates every kind of minority and they're actively trying to get them killed using their game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they were just loving lazy with every element of character customization in this game. industry boogieman EA even did a better job with The Sims 4.

self customization is a major theme in cyberpunk, if you dont want to do good self-customization in your game, dont make a cyberpunk game

Not on release they didn't

Also lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Finally beat the game. I did enjoy it all the way through but I gotta say, it really doesn't quite reach the level of quality of Witcher 3, which had me disappointed somewhat.
The game overall is shorter and smaller and doesn't compensate for it in any meaningful way. You'd think that if you were making a 20 hour AAA game (I spent a lot more time on my playthrough but that's how long I estimate the main story would take) you'd give it a higher degree of replayability but this game really doesn't, the game doesn't offer any meaningfully varied ways to complete quests depending on your build, nor does it make the storyline meaningfully branch depending on your choices. The whole experience is pretty close to the level of linearity of Witcher 3 but there's just...less of it.
The origin choice amounts to basically 30 minutes of unique content and some random lines throughout the game, and all of the 5 different endings (kind of 3 different endings + 2 small variations ones) branch out starting from the last hour of the game.
As for the gameplay it was...fine. The thing that bothered me about it was how much the gameplay was railroaded. Any creative solutions to quests/encounters I wanted to try were thwarted in favor of tightly scripted quest narrative, so it's definitely no immersive sim. Enemies were getting spawned in front of the cameras I hacked or behind my back when the quest demanded it so there's really no meaningful variety in the playstyles there. Just different ways of eliminating same dudes.
The game didn't even give me ANY unique choices of interacting with Voodoo Boys' quest despite me being a high level netrunner, THAT was so incredibly disappointing.

I still enjoyed myself but I don't think I'd recommend buying this game for more than 30 maybe 40 bux, even after they patch all the bugs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

That said I totally disagree about No Replayability: I virtually haven't dabbled in Hacking at all on my first character, so I'm looking forward to Corpo Hackerman playthrough #2 this weekend.

You're in for a surprise.

Surprise being that hacking is not much different from shooting someone with a gun but with extra steps.
Also I haven't found any quests that I could solve in an alternative way by using hacking.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reminder that if you bought the game at launch on GOG then you're still eligible for a refund.

I did just that because a buggy (albeit still good) aand linear 30 hour campaign with mediocre gameplay for 60 bux feels like a total scam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I won't give any details, but the Johnny track maxing out at 60% for some people isn't a bug.

I'm curious about what causes that to lock. Can you tell us anything about it? I've heard speculations that it's because you're too nice to Johhny.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ColdIronsBound posted:

Does the game do the thing where you only get a good ending if you have completed some relatively obtuse sidequests? If so I'd like some vague hints please!

There is no "good" ending as per genre tradition.
There are 3 full endings that you get to pick between during the last hour of the game and the two of them are locked behind certain optional quest chains.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do the 3 endings just change light colors

Nah, it's not that bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just realized that the "wake up samurai we've got a city to burn" cutscene is not even in the game anymore.

Smh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Well it's clear now that the marketing was ramped up heavily to compensate for the lackluster product so the marketing team did their jobs well if anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That reminds me. In my playthrough I did The Pickup by screwing the corpo woman but also saving the old gang leader at the same time and did that result in anything interesting? No, the game never acknowledged me doing that.

The more I think about the game the worse is the "aftertaste" gets. I don't even see it being possible to fix it with an enhanced edition. They'd need to double the amount of content in the main campaign to give it any kind of meaningful replayability.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double negative posted:

brick does come back later to help you with bes isis’ quest

He didn't, since I worked together with Royce.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lmao but also the game acknowledges your decisions in later chapters.

:wrong:

If you save Brick but also work with Royce, Brick doesn't show up again.

Also can't help but notice that your char only has 2 unique outcomes for Militech and two unique outcomes for Maelstrom. The latter affects like 5 minutes of one quest and the former affects literally nothing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double negative posted:

then royce is supposed to appear there. it comes back up regardless

That exactly what I'm talking about. The game didn't acknowledge me saving Brick because if II didn't save him the result would've been exactly the same.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

So your involvement in this thread is finished, yes? You'll return to the games you like?

I'm sorry I dared to criticize a thing you like instead of just buying the product and getting excited for the next product.

For the record I enjoyed my time with the game. I just think that it's not worth full price for having so little content and is a massive step down from the quality of previous game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of even the most branching quest being actually not very good at all, here's another part of that quest that totally ignores your actions.
If you ally with Maelstrom then Gilchrist ends up killing Stout but if during the mission you find out that Gilchrist is actually a mole you won't be able to bring that up. Would've been nice to blackmail him or something. But no, you can't even mention that you know that.

Xarbala posted:

If you work with Royce then of course Brick isn't going to show up again since his return is predicated on him being the boss of his gang why is this even a complaint.

Because in a game where supposedly

I was expecting the choices I make to actually affect anything.
Instead I got what barely amounts to Telltale level of story branching where nothing you do makes any meaningful difference.

double negative posted:

i haven’t done this permutation but im not sure how you expect brick to survive, even if you saved him, if you also helped royce

He mentions that a lot of gang members are still on his side and were helping him even while he was imprisoned. The chaos Militech was causing was a perfect cover for a getaway with the help of some chooms.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double negative posted:

he also tells you that royce murdered all those dudes who were loyal to him

Fine but even they, they could have at the very least have had Royce give you one throwaway line about Brick being dead.
Like, I basically poo poo in the dude's morning cereal by heavily messing with his internal affairs and he's just gonna pretend nothing happened?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Last I remember, he rushed a 30 hours playthrough and then returned the game. At least claimed to.

40 hours and I wasn't even rushing. That was plenty of time to do all the meaningful side content.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s crazy because my V has 70 hours played and I’ve only done 2/3 of the map icons and 90% of the main storyline. I can’t imagine what kind of brutal efficiency you’ve been employing to clear the entire game in 40 hours.

By not doing most of the "enter building, kill dude/grab thing, exit building missions" after I noticed that they are all loving same and are just pointless filler content with no value.

I've done all the Panam, Johhny, Judy and Kerry questlines at a leisurely pace.

40 hours isn't even that weird of a number. HowLongToBeat.Com mentions roughly the same numbers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I fundamentally disagree that those are filler missions. The only stuff I would consider filler are the NCPD baseball bat icons, some of the best vignettes in the game are these little side missions, and it’s certainly where I think the most Cyberpunk stories are being told.

Maybe I was unlucky or something but I've done like, a dozen random sidequests throughout my playthrough and none of them were anywhere near the level of Witcher 3's sidequests, so eventually I stopped bothering.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Qmass posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 - That decision does not influence anything else

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah the choice options, even cosmetic ones, are night and day (city) compared to Witcher 3. Just about every side quest in TW3 has some wrinkle that Geralt has to deal with, a duplicitous questgiver or something else that complicates an otherwise simple “complete and turn in” loop, forcing Geralt to make some kind of decision.

Those instances were way more diffuse, too - there wasn’t a sense that there existed a strict delineation between self-contained core / secondary quest chains (romances, etc) and everything else. You could walk into some random village and end up finding yourself being asked to keep someone’s dark secret, or save someone from debt, or some other thing that’s typically grey. They weren’t cinematic, but they left you feeling like you had to make a call.

The closest thing CP has to this, beyond the ultra-cinematic core quests and a few sidequest chains (the Peralezes, love interests) is a very occasional request to go non-lethal on a Far Cry-style location raid. As a substitute for Witcher-style bespoke complication it frankly sucks. Not only does it feel low-effort but it’s hurt by how pacifism was more of an ambient character build choice in immersive sim games, making it something we’ve seen before, to greater or lesser degrees of relevance to outcomes. Dishonored this ain’t.

Completely agree with you.
It makes me think though, has anyone compared the credits of Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk? Did they have a bunch of good writers leave the studio after Witcher 3 or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Speaking of which, is the sixth stat a bug or a feature?

Probably more cut content.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like some people were expecting a game that was 100% GTA, 100% Skyrim, and also 100% Deus Ex, all at the same time. When I was just like "yeah, this will be first person Witcher in the cyberpunk future" which is.... exactly what it is and I don't feel like CDPR ever gave us any reason to expect it to be anything other than that.

Comparing Cyberpunk to Witcher 3 is an insult to Witcher 3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

Hey turns out Cyberpunk is just like the witcher 3

(with much better gameplay and less padding on the main plot imo)

Your avatar is my reaction to your post.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

But Witcher 3 combat was absolute rear end whereas Cyberpunk combat is actually fun?

Disagree, but I accept that most people seem to really dislike Witcher 3's combat for some reason so maybe I'm the weird one. :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

It 100% shares the same structure, from inventory bullshit to putting quests in hoppers (main, side, gigs, can’t remember what W3 called it’s quests), to gating encounters behind player level.

I think W3 is a superior game overall as well, but they share the same DNA.

They share the same DNA in the same sense that a wild wolf and a pug are both canines, yes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I did like CP2077 a bit more than the Witcher because I always found Geralt to be a pretty dull protagonist, whereas Keanu was exactly what I needed.

I always liked Keanu Reeves as an actor and I do like the character of Johnny Silverhand but IMO Keanu really doesn't fit his role there.
He's good at being the stoic hero like in The Maxtrix or John Wick, but not the charismatic anarchist.

Hell, every time he swears it feels incredibly unnatural, and Johhny swears a lot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

perhaps he's less cool than his self absorbed rear end thinks he is

I mean, that would be a viable reading of the character if not for basically every woman surrounding him wanting to jump on his dick.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When Johhny gives you a tattoo it doesn't show up at all. Was it a bug just on my end or did they not bother putting any unique visuals for the hand augs at all?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, the most infuriating part of the game, to me personally, was all the goddamn calls you get from random fixers you never talked to, with the button prompt to Answer, implying that you have a choice to not answer them. Except you don't have that choice.

It's a great representation of the whole game, now that I think about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Even if I were to be supremely optimistic, I don't think any amount of patching can make Cyberpunk into a great game.
There's just so much poo poo that got cut from the original plan.
Like, how the gently caress do you turn a linear 20 hour storyline that ends in an Endingtron 2000 and make it be on par with a proper AAA game like Witcher 3 without making a whole another game worth of content?

EDIT: And before someone jumps down my throat again, fine, if you are to be generous it takes about 40 hours to see all the endings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also I'm almost a month in on waiting for a non-automated response for my GOG refund request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I think you might have to consider that a game can be good, or even great, without being like the Witcher 3.

It can but then it would have to have good gameplay instead of good story and I hope that nobody here in this thread is brain damaged enough to argue for that.