Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Is Penis 3 a GameStop exclusive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Ending spoilers:
Maybe I'm just being a big baby but I was hoping for at least some sort of secret/hard to get/did everything right/100+% "Shepard lives" style ending. Aldecaldo is at least the most optimistic but even that is bittersweet for V. Was hard enough for me that the game was over and I had to leave that world. To leave it with such a rough collection of endings was such a gut punch. Haven't felt this low after finishing a video game for a very long time.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just hit act 3 after about 30 hours. How long do I have left at this pace? Buggy or not I havent been this invested in a game in years and I dont want it to end :(

Once you get to the point of no return the game will warn you. After that it isn't that many hours of gameplay (though it's very good). I would recommend savoring it and putting off point of no return until you're really sure you want it to end. There's lots of really good side jobs/gigs and such to do before then.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

One thing I wish from DLC is some sort of continuation to Dream On, I know its probably just supposed to be a fight you can't win, but I think there could be some cool stuff, especially since an AI is involved. Probably Night Corp too, which didn't show up in the game at all (except maybe a side gig).

Ending: Is there a different credit-roll message from him depending on the outcome? I've only ever seen the one where he's a paranoid wreck.

shut up blegum posted:

If you write a sad ending, you want people to be sad no? You've accomplished what you set to do. Imagine if people posted "I was lolling so hard at the sad ending". That would mean he (and his colleagues) failed their job.

The saddest ending is that the game is over and there won't be a sequel for a decade.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I would be way more interested in Takemura as a romance option than River, honestly. Especially if you could redemption arc him in the process.

Ending: If you save him from the ambush and then go on to gently caress up Arasaka with Alt, the message he sends you telling you to go gently caress yourself before he (presumably) kills himself made me feel pretty bad for the dude. Goro deserved better. A storyline converting him into being anti-corp would be amazing.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 22, 2020

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

piL posted:

Ending talk

I feel like they should somehow remind you at the ending that the process would have rendered V soulless even if you could save her. V dies when you jack her into the matrix. Also that Art still believes in a soul despite being a highly advanced rogue AI...

I think some of the choice is about 6 months with a soul vs a life without.

Unless you choose to leave the body to Johnny, Alt plucks you out and reinstalls you on the relic as an engram no matter what, with the 6 month shelf life. There's a whole question there of if it's really "you" but since the game didn't end there and you play V both before and after I assumed that the game was answering the question that way.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cyberpunk but actually dystopian because of instead of the relic storyline the time pressure is that V has to make money every few days for rent, food, and medicine by taking jobs to kill people.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

This is hardly an rpg, you need to compare it to

Farcry, farcry 2, farcry 3, farcry 4, farcry 5, farcry 6, watchdawgs.

Lol cyberpunk 2078 isnt even on the same level as system shock 2 HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA! And the game award for best final fantasy game.... cyberpunk!

With maybe 1-2 exceptions, Ubisoft game characters are so monstrously bad and unlikeable It makes me sick to even think about it. They’re so bad! Why are they so bad? They shouldn’t be so bad!

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

When it comes down to it at various points in the game I actually felt emotions and awe and I think that is the mark of a good game more than all this superfluous nonsense people are complaining about.

This is exactly what I wanted too. I don’t care about the GTA stuff, I wanted a Cyberpunk-genre character-focused game (that wasn’t just like a visual novel or Telltale/LiS style game) and that’s exactly what I got. As someone who can’t really get into contemporary/historical or fantasy games, I’ve needed something like this ever since the Mass Effect trilogy.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I liked the phone system as a mechanic, especially the little moments you get like from calling Jackie's number after he dies. I think it helped keep characters relevant throughout the entire game rather than being location-bound.

That said, the system for getting car offers via text message sucks (should just be car dealers of various levels of repute, like ripperdocs), and the fixer gig phonecalls should be opt-in when you explicitly select the mission as your next objective or something.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think some stuff is being kind of ommitted ITT when people are talking about "GTA stuff" because it's easier to dismiss criticism when you can just lump it in with 12 year olds shooting rocket launchers at people on the street, but that's not really what's being criticized.

Off the top of my head:

The driving AI is godawful. Once I managed to wedge my motorcycle underneath someone's truck, and they just sat there terrified. I had to pull them out of their truck, drive it off of my bike, and then get out so I could get my bike. A driving AI that speeds up to get away from you was in loving GTA 3. When I went to go recover one of the cabs, I just parked my bike in front of it and hit it with my sword over and over while it just sat there doing nothing. This is inexcusably bad, there's nothing to reinvent here. Just do the thing literally every GTA/GTA clone in the past 2 decades has done.

The minimap doesn't zoom based on your speed, so you really can't drive with a decent amount of freedom because the GPS might just veer off suddenly. This is also in a game where you have cybereyes as part of the story, so I'm not sure why the GPS can't just show up as an AR line in the game itself so that the minimap isn't needed anymore.

If you carjack someone they just sit there. There were little old ladies in vice city that would pull me out of their car and drive off if I stuck around, but nobody in night city has the balls to do that? This is a compound problem with everyone freaking out if you do anything remotely related to combat near one of them. Accidentally dodge into somebody on the sidewalk? Every NPC in a 2 block radius is going to cower in terror before your awesome power.

There isn't just a dealership to buy a car at, or any way to customize cars that you own. Again, a thing that was in GTA 3, a game that came out almost 20 years ago. Fixers offering you craigslist cars is intensely bad and annoying, especially when you're trying to clear out an area of sidequests and they're just sitting there sticking out like a sore thumb. You can't even filter them out.

I get not needing this stuff to get into the pretty shallow RPG character building, but that doesn't mean it's not important and glaringly obvious that it shouldn't be like this.

I guess I just didn't care about most of these things. Though car dealerships would have been a way better system than the fixer texts (said that a little earlier) and I agree about the minimap being too zoomed in. For me, the favorite part about cars being in the game at all was being driven by NPCs while talking to them and looking out the window on a rainy day to see the city passing by. I don't think I skipped a single car ride after the dialogue, even long ones, just because I enjoyed the ambience and sometimes people just sit in cars in silence together. If you're talking about the story characters, it's a stretch to call that shallow, at least compared to other games. I think this game has at least comparable if not better characterization to the best story RPGs out there (many of which have the benefit of being sequels with already established conceits and characters, and no, I didn't read Cyberpunk 2020 before playing this game).

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I do find his arguement that Night City doesn't feel "alive" due to the NPCs not following a routine is odd though. I can't think of any open world game that does that or any game period besides like Majora's Mask or MOON.

Watch Dogs Legion does it. When you profile an NPC (a.k.a. telling the game you care about that NPC) it retroactively gives them a daily schedule that they will start to adhere to and you can find them later in predictable places. The devs gave a talk about how it all works here, it's actually quite advanced for an open world city game and they clearly put a lot of work into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn_c-HM0Vk

Conclusion? Nobody cares or even notices because the rest of the game is forgettable as gently caress.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

As far as city activities, I frequently found myself driving past something and hopping out of my car to go do it, be it a gig or one of those robbery attempt vignettes. Once you started to deplete those the set of activities got a little sparse though, I agree. I guess I'm wondering what the alternative is though, something like Yakuza-style minigames?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that sucks. i liked Watch dogs legion. its a fun game to gently caress around in and podcast. plus the 'APC" poo poo allows you to kinda roleplay how far your willing to go with you uprisings(like i sometimes stalk albion/kelly fuckers off duty and spray them against a wall right next to their spouses) because thats feels more realistic. i like that you can encounter guards and poo poo multiple times and just find parts your squad loving around at their jobs and poo poo my big wish is that the world reacted more to your actions. like if your deadsec was super violent and poo poo, you would have a harder job recruiting or operators could be recognized and ratted out. obviously its AAA game and they could only go so far. but i love the setup. games cool and weirdly lefty as gently caress and openly so at points. nice change.

The game was "cool" I guess but I found nothing compelling about the story. The "twist" was visible from basically the start of the game, and the characters were about as interesting as wet cardboard. Ubisoft games in general have terrible character development. I'm shocked that the latest AC games even have romance options because I can't remember a single supporting character from any of them.

Honestly I don't care about this stuff. It happened a few times, I loaded a quicksave and carried on and forgot about it after a quick chuckle.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Honestly having lived in big cities for long periods of time, and with a name like Night City, I don't really expect a huge change in behavior/activity at night vs. at day. City streets like that are basically the same 24/7.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I'm at 60% with Johnny despite I think I did everything right and I can't trigger the secret ending. Am I just out of luck now that I'm at this point? I've done Rogue's quests, Chippin' in and had the comeback gig with the band.

Yes, though I've seen some stuff on modding discords about save editing to fix it. Seems very hacky/risky right now though.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

You have to actually be 70% to get this ending. However, you can still do the secret ending mission. When Misty asks you about Jackie, say nothing, this will trigger it, but there might be some things missing here and there that are not really that important unless you want to complete all possible storylines.

Wait, when does Misty ask you about Jackie? Before going up the elevator?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

You'll be sitting down on the roof top together and she'll ask you a specific question that you can ignore. If you ignore it, she'll get up and walk away. This triggers a moment with Johnny where you take the pills and then go off to shoot up some people. From there, follow the directions of the NPCs you come in contact with very carefully if you want to see the whole thing, it is a pretty long final mission if you do everything right.

Is this before or after point of no return?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait, I hosed Meredith but never got that fine weapon

It was on the bed behind her, I believe.

Turin Turambar posted:

A cosmetic one is the billboard cars in the distance in the roads, they look nice but... they should be limited to only Night City roads! it doesn't make sense to see a traffic line in the middle of the badlands.

Yeah this would be a good fix. I noticed this too and it was a little immersion-breaking.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

FalconImpala posted:

The NPR review of this game is scathing. Either I'm the dumb one or they were out there making all the wrong dialogue choices.
I wonder how much of this is influenced by the hate train, almost all the initial reviews were "9/10 with flaws", now it's longform reddit comments about the "biggest failure in game history"

Hold on, you lost me at the revelation that NPR reviews video games.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lol at "anti-capitalist anarchy generator". :what:

Even better coming from a restaurant critic writing for NPR.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Everytime I see someone mad about the endings being depressing, I grow in power. Soon none of you will be able to stop me.

The endings were properly tragic and you folks did a good job on them. I still would have liked at least some sort of super-secret, super-difficult "Shepard lives"-like ending but I get it and tragedy fits the tone of the game. The Aldecaldo ending is at least optimistic about V's potential long-term survival though so that's good enough for me. Like I said earlier, the real inescapably sad part of the ending is the fact that the game is over and it could be the better part of a decade until a sequel, if we even get one (we'd better!).

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. ionly hate sad endings when they don't fit or feel rear end pulled. this game doesn't because it fits with all the themes.

Yeah, the more I think about the ending, the more I'm glad it's at best bittersweet and at worst brutal. Compared to Ubisoft/EA style happy ending fairytale stories I'm glad Cyberpunk isn't afraid to upset people. The game was a gut punch for sure but I don't think I would still be thinking about it so much if it wasn't. Poignancy is one of the most difficult and important things a video game can achieve narratively, because it can only happen if the game succeeds in making you empathize with the characters.

E:
The only "odd one out" ending to me is the one where you go with Arasaka but don't Secure Your Soul. The endings all end with V choosing one of four things and sacrificing the others: survival (Arasaka+Secure), legend status (Rogue/Solo+Alt), friends/bonds (Aldecaldo+Alt), or Johnny. The Arasaka+Leave ending leaves V with none of those things, especially since V doesn't have the choice to leave NC with Panam/Judy (who abruptly breaks up with you in the final voicemail). I think that one could have used some extra fleshing out, either scrap the secure/leave choice and make it that V survives but is dependent on Arasaka for meds or implants or something for the rest of their life, or something else where it's more clear that V made a sacrifice for survival at all costs.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 23, 2020

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

double negative posted:

arasaka ending - who visits you in space if takemura is dead? seems like their absence has to alter that whole ending a fairly good deal

Hellman, and it's more or less the same. Hellman is actually more convincing/sincere IMO than Takemura is.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

double negative posted:

that makes sense. goro's plea to v felt really weird there, but i guess he's playing the dutiful corporate puppet role. don't know why they had to flex on me with that white suit though.

Yeah, Goro was really a missed opportunity for not only a romance arc, but a redemption arc where you make him realize he got just as hosed over as you did and he turns against Arasaka too. I would kill for that option in a DLC. Having Goro as my ride-or-die homie in the Mikoshi run would be amazing.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That'd sell him short as a character though. Takemura is a company man through and through. All of his self esteem and self identity comes from his role in Arasaka. Saburo is both father and saviour to him. It'd be a hell of a stretch for some worthless thief he's known for a few weeks to make him betray Arasaka. He may end up liking and even respecting V but not enough to make him turn his back on everything he values. Literally every action Takemura takes in the game can be attributed to two motives. To get back in the good graces of Araska and to protect Arasaka.

Fair enough, I see that point as well. I guess I can still imagine how cool it would be though. Worth noting though that V saves him not once but twice from Arasaka trying to kill him. That's quite a test of loyalty and I could see some illusions shattering there. Especially if paired with ex-corpo V.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

She did sacrifice something; her soul. When you talk to Johnny to say goodbye right before you wake up in the station he tells you something like yeah you cut me out, but for a while now we've been the same person. Cutting him out just cut out a piece of V's soul which is why the part after that she feels disassociated and says she feels empty. More so than the other endings she's dead already because her souls been cut out so after that absolutely nothing good could happen.

Oh yeah, V definitely sacrifices a lot in that ending. My point though is that Arasaka-but-leave is the only ending (other than suicide) where V doesn't actually get anything in the end. Not survival, not friends/bonds, not Johnny, and not legend status. That's why it's the odd one out. V gets something out of all the others, at great cost in each case.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Last King posted:

and yet, somehow, they still found the time and resources to put in streamers, celebrity cameos, etc. aka all the poo poo that really doesn't matter.

God the VA for those cameos was so bad. I hate when games do this so much.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Alanah Pearce's cameo isn't anything special either. It's kinda bad, actually. And her character looks goofy.

(She appears in a Nomad-only mission.)

That VO is also really bad.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

GITS fans recognize this symbol? :)

Its straight up The Individual Eleven, they didn't even change the kanji

This rules. The game is a love letter to so many cyberpunk things and I love it. I’m actually surprised I didn’t see a single laughing man reference. I’m sure I missed it though. Has anyone found one?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

TheAnomaly posted:

There are three types of AI: Those killed by the Soulkiller Virus, who were set free when Arasaka exploded and have their own little city in the oldnet. They are the most likely to be helpful, as they are the most "human" of the AI's.

I still don’t understand why NetWatch doesn’t just go around unplugging all these oldnet machines and shutting everything down. They still have to be on and drawing power from things right? As hardware fails (it’s been decades now) doesn’t the oldnet gradually get smaller anyway?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm thinking about picking up RDR2 over the holidays because it's so highly rated but I've never been a fan of Rockstar's crime drama oriented spin to things. I played GTA V to the end of the singleplayer campaign and never touched it again. Maybe I'm mentally broken but Rockstar games never really "hooked me" the way do other people and I bounced off them. The idea of being a train robbing outlaw in the wild west doesn't seem to quite hold the same appeal as trying to be a well meaning but morally questionable Edgerunner. I guess there's Baldur's Gate 3 in the meantime. Maybe that will be fun to play.

I might be completely alone in this but the intimacy/immersion of all of the first person perspective conversations (and car rides, etc.) has kinda ruined other RPGs for me. I don't know if I could ever get into a typical third person RPG again as easily after this experience.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Exploring beyond the blackwall is probably one of the single greatest mysteries this game can offer and I really hope we have some opportunity to do cyberspace style netrunning in just that sort of capacity.

I think it's presented as so alien and bizarre that I don't know how the game could even represent this without taking away the mystery, sort of how the reapers in Mass Effect became less scary the more you saw them.

PerilPastry posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I'm the opposite. I really miss the staging of conversations in The Witcher compared to this. Seeing Geralt emoting and gesturing felt really impactful to me. Now, during most conversations in 2077 I feel more like a camera on legs than an actual person

Something about making eye contact with NPCs while talking to them really got me in a way that third person RPGs never have. I often found periodically myself looking away mid conversation like I naturally would to lower the intensity. Also specifically not seeing my character react to things I think left a vacuum that I filled myself as a player and let me have my own reactions more "purely", if that makes sense. It helped that the game didn't really suffer from "that's not what I meant to say" dialogue prompts -- generally I felt that V correctly expressed what I wanted to express when selecting a response.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 23, 2020

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's suggested in the world of cyberpunk book that the blackwall is probably something netwatch had to negotiate with the AIs over and the AIs ultimately agreed to allow, so it could be anything from 'just for show' to 'has deliberate backdoors' to 'just for the "bad" AIs' or any number of other things. It's some cool and flexible lore to be sure

During the VDB questline there's a conversation where they describe the blackwall as itself being something along the lines of a "traitor AI". I forget the exact wording but that was my take on it.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I guess the witcher has more of an in for that type of story due to its "geralt ends up getting entangled with kings" strain, which doesn't really exist in 2077 outside of maybe the Peralez quest chain and maybe the arasaka ending, which are actually both pretty cool subversions on that expectation in various ways now that I think about it. Still I think that type of plot strain adds a lot of depth in witcher games, I hope it gets explored roundabout in DLC or future. It's stuff like that that actually uses the world building in a way that makes me feel like less of a nerd for being interested one thing :awesome:

Ending:
I feel like it's kind of the point that no matter how legendary V becomes in NC that they still are a nobody to the corps. I think that V ascending to the point of rubbing elbows with the elite on a regular basis would diminish the worldbuilding. Even the Peralezes keep a healthy distance -- you aren't one of them, you're expensive staff. Same with Hanako in the Arasaka ending, she drags you around on a leash like Yorinobu has Adam Smasher. The divide between top corpos and mere mortal like V is necessarily insurmountable.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The core theme of the game is memories and what they represent and what their meaning is. Which is absolutely fine. But it doesn't work as well for V who is pretty much entirely a player-driven character whose memories begin with the Player and who guides their actions throughout the game.To be honest if they wanted to go for this theme they should have started with the player waking up in a landfill with Johnny in their head. The player wakes up with a set of memories and someone else in their head and you're actually dealing with the idea that V is a character whose choices are being influenced. Several characters hint at the idea that V is making different choices with Johnny in her head than without but... they're not because the player is making those choices and is in control both before and after.

Honestly have to disagree with this here, and it only occurred to me because you explicitly pointed it out. Johnny is noticeably more sympathetic at the end of the game than he is at the beginning, and I found his wants and desires far more compelling as time goes on. His contributions actually did influence my decisions later in the game. There's also a second part of this you don't touch on here, which is that V is also changing Johnny, and that part is pretty clear as well. At least with the Aldecaldo ending, which suggests a V that is very loyal to their bonds/friendships/relationships, the ending sequence with Johnny is a stark difference to how things began, both for him and for V's approach to him, and the game succeeded in making the separation of V and Johnny actually feel like a loss to me.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Urban Sorcerer posted:

one of the things about yorinobu and that arasaka ending that I liked was he isn't just some broken or rebellious child, he knows exactly what is going to happen to him and is doing whatever he can to survive so he has an actual motivation. But you get involved and not only ruin his plans but doom the world to be ruled by an evil immortal god king

Yeah, knowing that context completely changed my take on the other endings. I like that each ending informs the others in a way.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

I find it really stupid that vendors only have 20k max cash but sell stuff that's 10x that and totally expect you to be able to grind cash by selling stuff and changing the time ahead a day and repeating, that's like an official system. Grinding cash with sidestuff, which I did for at least 20h before I found out about the paintings and dropbox glitches, nets you 1k-3k in general so getting the cash for a car or some cyberware takes for loving ever. Anyway, the game is full of poo poo that could have been fixed with simply changing values, but no, we have this weird rear end monstrosity with far bigger problems than vendors not having much cash.

Honestly at that point why not use cheatengine or something for unlimited cash?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

I have the same thought on using cheat engine as I had when playing through AC Odyssey. I'm too scared of getting VAC banned from Steam for using a cheat engine on a single player game. It's not worth it at that point

Single player games should just give us a console like in New Vegas and let us go buck wild

Honestly this concern has never really stopped me. When I do my next playthrough after some DLC I'll almost certainly cheat money so I can play a more story-oriented playthrough rather than running around being a loot gobble goblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The unforgettable game play of watching a bunch of cutscenes with some sneaking/fighting your way out of three hallways sandwiched between.

"Guns and conversations" is my favorite video game meta-genre and I'm not afraid to admit it.