Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I bought it for $30 on sale on Steam. It looks okay, the first hour appears to be entirely on rails and for some reason if you press a button too soon after the prompt in the tutorial it won't do anything, which makes everything feel janky, but otherwise seems fine so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I've noticed a lot of quick make a dialog choice before the timer runs out! but as far as I can tell, the choices don't affect anything. Maybe an XP bonus or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

forest spirit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGK7cqp9t4

The same thing that compels people to climb unclimbable mountains in skyrim leads me to do ramp off of anything and everything, almost always going nowhere.

I appreciate this. I too find a similar compulsion when I get bored doing missions in open world games

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hey Geralt, it's your cousin Dandelion, let's go bowling

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's a throwback design from the days before everything was on a single integrated circuit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I haven't had a whole lot of time to put in but so far coming up to the end of the first act, the game seems like a meditation on the illusion of choice. You are constantly presented with dialog choices some of which would appear to be building to significant story consequences later in the game, as far as I can tell they're not*. In the entire first act there are exactly two choices you can make that will affect later missions. Upthread someone mentioned this is pared down significantly after the first act, so I'm assuming they just stop presenting false choices, because there's no way they could have less impact on the story.

*I spoiled this for myself out of curiosity after it seemed like too many of the choices present made no difference even in the mission itself. The number of times "All options have the same outcome" appears in the walkthroughs for the missions I've done so far is hilarious.

Like how in The Information you have the option to consider cutting out Dex, which might have big consequences, trying to burn your fixer, but it doesn't because The Heist only ends one way and really your only options are "no" or "maybe" anyway.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 5, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Roach being a pain to control makes sense, because it's a horse. I guess maybe your car in Cyberpunk has a Tesla AI or something.

e: My only kills in Cyberpunk so far are from running two people over after being blinded in first-person mode in the car coming out of an underpass.

King Vidiot posted:

Eh, I mean it sucks but I don't think it's that terrible. Driving is clearly an afterthought though, like it feels like what it would feel like to have a driving mod in a Fallout game. I half expect there to be an NPC with the car for a head underneath the road or something.

There's actually a mod that adds vehicles to Fallout New Vegas.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 5, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm guessing I'm seeing some of the "Eurojank" now, things like buttons only occasionally doing things when you press them, or loading a quicksave has all the NPCs and also the player character in state they were in before you loaded.

Still, having fun.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ichabod Tane posted:

Game is surface level fun. Nearly none of the mechanics interact with each other well. Or function. Or was what was advertised.

Okay, well, I'll make sure I don't have too much fun then.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a difference between narrative fatalism (V can’t change the world) and quest reactivity (V can alter the specific circumstances of each gig).

The comment about the walkthroughs is a good insight: people may be thinking the game is linear because the wiki only shows one path.

I've specifically mentioned the illusion of choice re: dialog choices, and after retrying a couple personally, I checked here for the missions I'd already run. It specifically states the outcome of dialog choices and will present multiple paths if they exist. You'll notice how almost every choice in that linked mission says "All options have the same outcome".

I am aware that there are in-mission differences in play style, outside of the actual narrative, but this being 2021 and not 1998, I think that is expected to a point.

I've been stealthing through everything and hacking everything I see, there's a lot of lore and backstory, but there isn't much so far in outcomes of player choice in the larger narrative.

forest spirit posted:

Going quiet or loud and having things like a secure vault door to burst open with brute strength or a slightly out of reach entrance to double jump up to, or a hackable utility door for each gig is the bare minimum

Deus Ex came out over 21 years ago, so you'd hope that level of player choice would have found its way into other action RPGs by now.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 7, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ichabod Tane posted:

Just saying the game doesn’t have deep mechanics but you can get weird about it

lol. You replied to "I'm having fun" with "It's only surface level fun", IDK what you expect other than a jokey reply.

It's fine, I fully understand it's not a terribly deep game despite what was advertised, I waited a year for it to be on sale and bought it knowing that, I just like sneaking around and hacking things and occasionally watching NPCs rocket through the roof for no adequately explained reason.

I wish there were either more branching story options or fewer dialog choices with a timer, but it's a minor complaint.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I've been going through all the side-gigs and having fun just figuring out how to ghost them.

One question, what is up with the Target Analysis optics mod? Like, conceptually? It's an optics mod that makes all your weapons (all of them, even the big fuckoff knives) non-lethal. Obvs it's handy for a non-lethal play through and especially missions where you want to make sure the target is alive, since there are no ranged stun weapons otherwise (at least without the pax mod, which is only marginally more coherent than this), but how does that poo poo work from any kind of mechanics or story or role playing perspective?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 11, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Funny that, because it's supposed to remove headshot damage multipliers, but it doesn't, so you can one-shot someone in the head with a revolver, and I guess they just sleep it off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's weird from a gameplay perspective because usually the non-lethal options are limited in a number of ways, like ranged options are tranq darts or whatever, so they take time to take effect, unless you get a headshot, which you can't do to armoured enemies, they're slow to reload, etc. But this just makes every gun in the game a knockout gun. Also your giant arm blades, they knock people out too.

Obviously it's an option that you have to go out of your way to find and use, so you don't have to if it breaks your RP playthrough, but it seems odd. It feels like something that was meant to work in a different way or hook into other mechanics that aren't present but they just said to hell with it, ship it like this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I guess that's the other thing in terms of mechanics, this isn't MGS, knocked out is functionally the same as dead and incapacitated enemies can't be revived by other NPCs. It's really only relevant for a few side gigs, I don't think any story missions even check, so it's just a roleplaying thing.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 11, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, I choose the verbal options wherever present, or just ghosting through a place if that's an option, but quite a few of the gigs don't really present those opportunities.

I'm noticing the game likes to put random holdups right where the drop-off locations for the gigs are, so you can ghost through a gig, then end up in an inescapable firefight before you can actually turn it in

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 11, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's about ethics in video games

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kavros posted:

On top of that, you have to be super careful with the game's "Nonlethal" options. I remember being confused when my supposedly nonlethal hammer, as stated clearly in the tooltips, was nonlethally crushing heads off bodies

Apparently any two-handed weapon is lethal even if it says it's not, unless you've got the magic eyeglass on

e: Why do you get street cred for doing police missions?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 12, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Even this framing annoys me because while it's the most optimistic ending, I think it's the worst one in terms of connection to the rest of the story, overall themes, and general quality of writing.

E: vvv yes, as I understand it they envisioned the changes as rewarding your chosen style of gameplay with more of it. If you fight a ton they give you more to fight because that is clearly what you are looking for from the game: to get into fights. Same with the rats: there are lots of ways for Corvo to use them to kill people so giving you more rats to use is supposed to be fun. Idk.

Reactive... gameplay?

Witchcraft if you ask me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Alpha Protocol is loving wild in terms of reactivity to playstyle, meaningful choices in dialog, and branching story lines, it is also janky and broken and was basically unfinished AFAIK.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

2house2fly posted:

It's a sad story, and they really only ever got to put out like one patch for it. I wonder what the last game was that had only one patch!

I'd say Alpha Protocol is still well worth buying, but it's lost media now, you can't buy it unless you can find an old console copy. Which really only adds to its allure

lmao. Music licensing, naturally.

I wonder if that'll get Cyberpunk too one day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kavros posted:

Takemura appreciates a specific nonlethal takedown, iirc

There's also a side gig saving a monk from gangsters where they have slightly different thank you dialog if you don't kill anyone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh that's what that is. I had the footstep audio cut out running down some stairs and the movement ent all weird until I reached the bottom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The game may not be judging you, but I, personally, am.

You monster.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I discovered that while the game will prevent you from leaving Watson after the initial gig, it only does so if you pass through a boundary around the area. Somehow I got close enough to a fast travel point in the first gig that I could travel to it. The entire map is accessible and random encounters still spawn, but it won't load missions or vendor NPCs outside of Watson.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's the one. I guess that's before the first gig.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

This is what I did. Grab a pistol with the highest single shot damage (not DPS) and go for headshots. You'll clear a whole building without anyone noticing.

Yeah, you can stealth through pretty much any encounter like this in the same way you could in say Deus Ex: HR. Between headshot damage multipliers, sneaking damage multipliers, and critical hit multipliers you can do a ridiculous amount of damage with a single shot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Robobot posted:

Hey so, I'm not super good on computers and I watched the video and am still a bit confused about what this actually is. Can someone tell me if I should uninstall GOG since I only play Cyberpunk through it and currently don't have it installed to be on the safe side? I doubt a warehouse manager in training is high on any hacker's list, but you never know.

It almost certainly doesn't matter unless you have other people using your computer as "limited user" accounts that you don't want being able to make system wide changes to your PC. In theory it could be used in combination with other exploits, if someone already had access to your PC as a limited user, to give them admin access, but odds are if this is your personal computer, you've got bigger problems anyway if someone you don't trust has remote access.

It's safer in general not to have something exploitable like this installed, but again, it relies on someone already having access (physical or remote) to your PC.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Steam has had several of these and much worse remotely exploitable bugs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There seem to be a lot of great little side conversations and stuff that provide context and lore, but there isn't anything to do in the city that isn't combat. You can go into a Pachinko parlour, but you don't get to play Pachinko. There are a number of seemingly unique arcade cabinets that run on attract mode too, but you can't interact with them. IDK if that was something that was intended and cut for time, or if they were always just meant to be eye candy.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The random encounters sometimes lead to additional higher level loot and in a lot of cases have some unique expository text via "archived conversations", but that's about it. I wandered into an area with an NCPD marker that turned out to be a human trafficking operation with a bunch of people being held in a shipping container. It had no bearing on the story, but it was an interesting encounter with a bunch of bits of NPC dialog and archived conversations about this one-off trafficking ring.

I still tend to go on foot between missions/gigs just to see what I run into in between and get a better sense of the city. If you're just going waypoint to waypoint you won't see a lot of that stuff, but it's not mechanically different than the rest of the game, it just expands on things.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 15, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Warmachine posted:

It would have been a bit of brilliant wallpapering if V ever commented on it and it was written off as a side effect of the neural degradation. Is this a bug in the game, or is this a bug in your character? Also, I think that's kinda insulting to Bloodlines. If anything, CP2077 is Bloodlines' great-great-great inbred grandchild.

Yeah, I've noticed this, but since I'm not a codex reader I almost never engage with that kind of content, so most of those encounters end up being "Local Murderhobo Tears Through Gang War Leaving Both Sides Dead" as far as I know. I know it's impractical to voice every one-off side quest, but I'm not afraid to blame the developer for painting themselves into a corner on that one. I think FarCry generally scratches the itch right when it comes to having engaging side content while drawing attention to the interesting bits. The human trafficking would be a one-off quest, while generic fights against human traffickers would be some kind of 'outpost assault.'

The fixers are perfect for that kind of repetitive "My client wants you to secure these shipping containers full of cybercocaine. Eliminate the opposition, then call me" stuff. The game already has this, in fact. I enjoyed "kill this sicko who makes abuse and rape BDs." When I say 'random encounters' I mean the blue assaults/cop fights/NCPD stuff.

There's a bunch of things that would have made sense as small fixer gigs that are just labelled "Assault in Progress" or "Suspected Criminal Activity" and you wind up taking out a trafficking ring or drug distribution warehouse.

There's a really cool underground parking lot that's converted into a bazaar/shanty town in North Side that's been taken over by Scavs. You'd never see it unless you go to the NCPD marker and there's essentially nothing in it but Scavs, but it's huge and incredibly detailed and looks like the kind of place you'd expect to find a few vendors and maybe a side-quest or two.

Earwicker posted:

yea i would bet they had originally intended at least one minigame, given that gwent was so popular among witcher fans that they were able to spin it off into its own game.

they couldn't have really done that with pachinko tho since that's already a game that exists and there are tons of video game versions of it out there. more likely would have been one of the other arcade games

That's definitely the impression I get from the assets you can see.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The HDR implementation made it literally impossible for me to drive until I realized I could switch the camera to 3rd person in vehicles. Driving out of any kind of shadow immediately bloomed the screen out completely for multiple seconds every single time. The first time it happened I ran over a bunch of pedestrians on the drive to the ripperdoc in the intro because I couldn't see anything and ended up getting chased by the police.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chloe Jessica posted:

the rubber-banding was loving awful, but Beast is big enough to roll right over anything in your way. i used it for all four races and won pretty easily (aside from when i had to reload because i hosed up close to the end and the rubber-banding kept me from catching up)

seriously, gently caress rubber-band AI. just let me loving stomp everyone into the dust or program better racing AI.

So they just straight up used the Witcher 3 horse racing AI for the car races in Cyberpunk then.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kavros posted:

for new playthroughs, i have found that there's a legendary revolver accessible almost right away in Northside Watson in the same place every time which you can run and grab and slam full of mods, helping kickstart your way to that Dirty Harry stuff.

Where?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kavros posted:

It's on a crate in this little open space here. Right where the arrow points.

Awesome!

Thanks!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Randal posted:

Oh I get ya, no matter what you want to do V is still a mercenary and is limited by what a mercenary does in this world. I'm just into characters and story more in a single player game than being able to act out any role in this society. I can get that fix from MMOs now and with their economies single player rpgs just can't keep up with the possibilities there

For games like this I am a lot more concerned with how you can physically interact with the world. It was really disappointing when I had to jump over a fence like super mario in fallout 76 for example. It's embarrassing that bethesda published dishonored but can't do any of that interactivity in their own games and I'm kinda tired of it now

I love that I can parkour myself into incredibly stupid places, and also that those places seem to be modelled and populated with items in many cases, even though there's no reason for anyone to go there. It does make it disappointing when you find the few invisible walls that exist though, as far as I can tell to keep you out of certain quest areas.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It seems obvious the locations have been built to allow massive expansions, but somehow I doubt we're going to see them. I just can't imagine CDPR spending the resources on developing new content on that scale for this game, since sales essentially collapsed after the initial release.

That said, I would love to see what you've described, expansions following other characters and telling other stories. Mechanically, I'm not sure how that would work though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I have discovered two things about the game:

The on-rails barely interactive cut-scenes are by far the most frustrating and least enjoyable part of the game*

If at any point the game decides you're "in-combat" for any reason, or indeed no reason at all, it will start spawning additional enemies literally on top of you for the entire rest of the level/quest

*seriously, either remove player control and make it a cutscene, or give me control and stop forcing me into pre-set actions. partially removing player agency is like the worst possible thing you can do in game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I had it happen to me yesterday during the exit from the hotel in The Heist. I was not in combat and had not been detected, had control of all the cameras and had knocked out the guards in the area, then the map indicated I was in combat, but with no one there, my mod that slows time when detected didn't trigger, I was just suddenly "In Combat" with no one. Then that cleared after a few seconds, but on entering the next room a hostile NPC spawned literally on top of me already in combat state, and the same thing happened in every subsequent room I entered until the end of the mission.

The NPCs that are always in the rooms if you're undetected were still there as usual, and seemingly unaware of me once the combat encounter ended each time, but every time I went to another room, the reinforcement NPCs that spawn if you're detected would spawn instantly even though I wasn't in combat at the time.

I was tempted to just reload from a save so I could sneak through it but knowing how The Heist shakes out, it seemed kinda pointless.

An unrelated stealth gripe, I've also found that bodies can be discovered by NPCs on entirely different floors and through walls, sometimes on the other side of a building. I'm not sure how that detection works exactly, but I think it's not supposed to work like that.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 17, 2021