Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you consider The Witcher 3 a Cheeto-dusted neckbeard gamer oriented game?

I mean, speaking for myself: yes. It's aimed at the same audience as W1 and 2 except that audience is getting older and, despite all efforts to the contrary, actually procreating. It's a different take on the outcast power fantasy, except this time instead of being a gruff-voiced dour outcast who gets to kill monsters and sleep with big-breasted powerful sorceresses, you're a gruff-voiced dour outcast who gets to kill monsters and sleep with big-breasted powerful sorceresses while trying to find his daughter. There's a reason 'bad witcher dads' is a meme in the thread.

It's a good game with some good parts and a great look at Eastern European mythology in fiction, but at a character or story level, it didn't say anything new.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

NoMas posted:

Do NOT buy this game for the sex scenes. They are extremely poor.

new thread title

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Whereyall think metacritic is gonna land

I'm guessing 93

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

black.lion posted:

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others?)

I hear you on wanting positive trans characters 1000% (and I hope they're in there, hiding in the bajillion hours of sidequests that reviewers didn't have time to get to) but I took a moment to think back as if to say "yeah, like [that game]" but I drew a blank... what games have come out that really approached depicting trans persons, and of that list, which have done it well?

All I can think of offhand is Krem in Dragon Age, and he was handled with the subtlety and nuance Bioware is famous for *gives liliana a pair of shoes so she likes me enough to have sex*

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
disappointed but not surprised that CP2077 is still a subpar experience compared to the greatest cyberpunk-transhumanist experience ever put to processor: deus ex invisible war

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Seriously though I'm looking forward to a release-week ultra buggy runthrough plus multiple other runs later on after a few patches and expansions

This has been my go-to experience with AAA rpgs since morrowind and I'll be god damned if this game breaks that tradition

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The shitposting around skyrim was so egregious SA had to make a whole subforum for the game

Despite our largely reduced population I want the same experience for 2077 for nostalgia purposes

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress that game.

Actually, I can't even remember what it was about, except that I was loving pissed that there was a loading screen every one and a half rooms, because of the loving XBox. Even Liberty Island was cut into four sections, despite being freely explorable in its entirety in the previous game.

There was a legitimately cool and well-written subplot between the two warring coffeeshops (Pequod's and Queequeg's) having the same owner but offering the illusion of consumer choice, which nicely paralleled the main plot with the Order and the WTO. But the player character and all non-player characters had an IQ of 65, the engine sucked, the gameplay sucked, and worst of all, there was no stealth pistol that looked like a Spirit Halloween cigarette lighter

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

this actually owns, im afraid

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
tlou2 was the schindler's list of video games. The Seven Samurai. the van wilder's freshman year

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Deakul posted:

cyberpunk seems kinda cool might get it idk

more like, cyberjunk op

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is hilarious

i wish bullets still killed people

thanks obama :rolleyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Six AM posted:

Sweet, now i know for sure not to play that game

It's an incredibly well written game but the number of midlife crisis failsons who love it because it's so relatable is largely disconcerting

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm allergic to milk but sometimes I just gotta drink 40 hours of milkshakes

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't need that Deus Ex sequel so much now

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I love the new deus ex games but frankly I think they're dead now - square simply can't compete.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
the braindance sequence is loving brilliant.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This game lets me recreate the shotgun rear end in a top hat tao of living as featured in Alpha Protocol, GOTY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If this game gets strong mod support its gonna have real legs, I can see people still playing or coming back to this in 5-10 years similar to skyrim or new vegas.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

parts of this game feel incredibly rushed but the city and the world and the art style feels like they got to work on day 1 and have been refining it every day since

i'd be incredibly interested in a breakdown of how this game got made at some point

Quoting this because it's exactly right

Sound, art design, character, world building and modeling meet the best of or wildly outshine almost everything else in the medium

But certain systems feel like they're only minor variations, and not improved versions, of things that already exist in other games

That said, I havent had this much fun with a game on release since skyrim or maybe even new vegas, so thanks comte and the folks at cdpr for all the hard work you put in. It's a treat

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I just spent like 40 minutes doing nothing but driving around on the bike, the city is so loving awesome

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I finished a quest that gave me a non lethal dildo as an award and now I'm going around trying to blackjack people with this thing like garret in thief

And when that fails, it's back to the alpha protocol shotgun rear end in a top hat with a shotgun that charges up and shoots through walls

Game of the decade

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Bugs and all I'm still loving the poo poo out of this

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Existing is immoral, qtiyd

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Game development: Working on a project for eight years with multiple delays and a lengthy crunch only to be raked across the coals worldwide on every form of social media after release

Respect for the devs man, I know I wouldnt have the patience

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cursed KM posting energy

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Playing makes me feel the same way I felt the first time I played Daggerfall. The absolute fun and awe of seeing something massive and different but also knowing I have to smash F5 every few minutes because I never know if a bug will prevent progression.

But I mean, that isn't a bad thing. It's the same experience we've had with major AAA RPGs for 20 years, and frankly, it's kind of what I'd hoped and expected, and it's why I'm having such a blast. the bugs suck but I can't stop just being dumbstuck at a lot of the world and art design. I'll probably beat the game then come back in a year or so for another run with some expansions and patches and have a much more solid second experience that's equally fun.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
panam: come over
V: i can't i'm having a relic malfunction
panam: saul isn't home
V:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8A949t_PYk&t=74s

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just hit act 3 after about 30 hours. How long do I have left at this pace? Buggy or not I havent been this invested in a game in years and I dont want it to end :(

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Cyberpunk and Shadowrun are very different things for very different people

Shadowrun's world is goofy in ways I don't like, but I can see why other people do like it. Definitely prefer the 2077 vibe more. Anyway that's my opinion, thanks for readin

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Had fun despite bugs

A couple expansions, a final version, and mod support will make this one a game for the ages

Mostly though I'm impressed the marketing team, who was so good at the job nobody could keep up to their vision

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, I don't think I fast traveled even once. Honestly one of my favorite parts of the game was the long car ride conversations and just looking out at the city.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Much like Cyberpunk, W3 was good but overhyped.

Unlike W3, Cyberpunk's major hype came before release instead of after, to everyone's detriment.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Imagine busting your rear end for years on end and having your work called lazy.

Whatever metrics you use to define lovely clients, gamers have to be at the loving very top.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 6, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tenzarin posted:

This statement makes me cringe.

They all worked on the video game as a team, they share equal blame.

how old are you and what field do you work in?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've mentioned it before in the thread, but one thing I do very much love about this game is that it lets you recreate the shotgun rear end in a top hat Mike Thorton from AP, and that is genuinely fantastic

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Earwicker posted:

its a lot less obvious why most of the information in an advanced high tech society with an internet and massive computer systems all over the place is kept in tiny fragments on little thumb drive type things strewn about randomly on peoples desks

This seems like a conflict between how video games have handled exposition for the last 25 years and how that approach to exposition causes a sort of narrative dissonance inside the Cyberpunk 2077 game. Not trying being a shithead, and probably I'm misunderstanding something, but why is this a problem? It's as big of an issue as Jensen having an insatiable urge for candy bars and rifling through people's drawers in Deus Ex.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tenzarin posted:

I could swear we already came to the conclusion that all a game needs to be called an rpg is that it needs numbers or and swords.

i figured it was having some sort of 'role' that you 'play'

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mendrian posted:

All games are role playing then.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

joylessdivision posted:

drat right. Hell even driving in first person is pretty fun on motorcycles.

This is pretty much how I spend my time with the game now. Plot and character are okay-to-great, but walking and driving through the city is just as evocative as the first time I played.