Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve been playing for 12 hours or so and I still can’t figure out if doing an all-hacking character is viable. It sure seems like combat is built around softening enemies up with hacking so they’re easier to kill other ways. Are there some parts or skills I can buy that will enable me to just hack enemies to death left and right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Imagine this but for every single encounter in the game

https://i.imgur.com/Ge23BlN.mp4
It went by too fast, I couldn’t tell what they did.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Every build feels kinda weak at first, then you reach some critical mass of perks and cyberwear and nothing can stand against your might.
So, like Witcher 3. I guess I can understand that.

When do I get the cyborg equivalent of quen with chain lightning?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s not like I want to go completely without combat. I just want to be pistols only, as a last resort if the hacking doesn’t work. I played a character kind of like that in Fallout NV except with negotiation instead of hacking. If you think about it, negotiation is basically hacking their brains so you get what you want.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am also playing Nomad. I had hoped that they would offer a really valuable outside perspective on everything, but not really. They mostly just know more about cars and smuggling.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s hard to imagine how they could’ve made the ripper doc interface any worse. It takes so long just to find out if there’s a single new component I can equip, and on top of that some of the ripper docs are like “jeez you gonna make me wait all day?”

Do the guys at CDPR know how bad their UIs are and that’s just their weird joke?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Of the three categories of story mission things, is it natural to be doing the V ones much faster than the other two? Mine look like 45% 10% 10% right now. In fact, they’ve been that way for hours an hours even though I’ve been doing story missions. Am I misunderstanding something about that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So this is a dystopian future where you can buy handguns from vending machines and bullets and explosions could fly from any direction at any time...but everyone drives like a little old lady whose foot barely reaches the gas pedal? Is that about right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr.Citrus posted:

I'm not entirely sure whats the deal is with the driving AI. I don't think there is actual driving ai, most ride alongs in the game feel very scripted in movement. I feel like the driving AI's lack of existence is a big reason for the current police implementation.
Yeah, when you ride with an NPC driver their cornering etc is bizarrely precise. However, they actually put their foot down, unlike all the rest of the traffic. Especially going around corners, it feels like they’re going about 5 mph.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The speed limit is a reasonable 40 in the city. Stop exaggerating.
40mph is a slow walk in video game speeds.

Collateral posted:

Is the game playable yet?
It’s totally fine on the PC. I have almost no complaints about its performance and its bugs are amusing at worst. It has a bunch of gameplay things I don’t care for, but that’s different.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There’s no way to un-track all objectives is there?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just did one of Panam’s missions where you have to rescue Saul and combat has just become ridiculously easy, and I don’t know if it’s intentional or not. There were about five enemies in the room that I was searching, and it was ridiculously easy to kill them with a combination of mantis blades and hacking, and then the enemies outside of the building never came in, even though they were in combat state. It was really irritating to listen to the combat music for like 15 minutes straight with no enemies around.

It feels like the only time combat as fun at all is before it starts, trying to figure out how to hack them to death and stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if they will ever patch in an ability to fast travel from anywhere? Just like in real life, some parts of Night City are bus stop deserts.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WirelessPillow posted:

Every Cyberpsycho, and ever important character like maiko that I didn't want to kill I just hit with a Katana until health bar hit 0.
Katana will slice the heads of random gonks no issue, but special characters never die from it in my experience.
I am still really unclear about this lethal and non-lethal thing. Lots of times I’ve downed people with what I thought were lethal weapons, but they’re still there writhing on the ground, or vice versa with weapons that are called non-lethal (like sledgehammers lol). Is that just a bug, or are they still alive?

Is there any sure way to tell?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

You can do as many sidequests as you want.
I don’t like it when the games just straight up lie to me about essential gameplay stuff, even for dramatic purposes.

Also sometimes characters say “see you tonight” or whatever when that quest can actually start any night.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was arguing completely the opposite, that they shouldn’t have been so clear that you only have two weeks to live or whatever..

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finished the Delamain quest line and got A cab of my own, but is it really just a car? Is there no way to get it to drive me places by itself?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am watching the final credits now. I got such a bad ending. I need to be like three times more punk than I was before.

I’m going to stick with intelligence + body though because punching and hacking are a really good combination.

Edit: is there any sign that this game is going to get large scale DLC like Witcher 3 did? I’m definitely hoping for a Blood and Wine like long epilogue someday.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 8, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still can’t believe the last combat encounter of my last playthrough ended with a single shot of contagion. I expected that it would weaken them and I would go in and punch them all to death, but in six seconds there was nothing but bodies.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

cmon January Patch i wanna do my 2nd playthrough
I just started one...should I hold off on it? What’s coming in that patch?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Without better enemy AI and a reveal of that mysterious extra parameter, I don’t think it will make much of a difference, yeah.

Is better AI on the table for any future patch or is that just not something that they’re ever going to do?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

It really is one of the worst inventories in gaming history. it's somehow worse than a bethesda game. TW3 was similar though. Someone needs to tell CDPR that less is more.
There’s clearly a lot of gamers for whom more is more, and the current state of open world games reflects that in every way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i cant believe gorilla arms are the most fun of all the arms
I bought mantis blades first and immediately realized my mistake.

You can’t sell cyber parts right? I’m not completely misunderstanding something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn’t buy a single new car in my whole last playthrough of the game. Like half of the sub quests I had left were just to buy a car. Was there some reason I should care about cars that I missed?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

The only good thing about owning a car is using it as portable stash that you can call to your location. Don't use the very first car in the game for it though because you'll lose everything you stored in it if anything would ever happen to it. No idea why it's not connected with your flat's stash, probably 'my immersion' would be ruined so everything must be as tedious as humanly possible.
I don’t know what I would want to use a stash for in the first place. Can’t you carry like 300 items and there’s no weight limit? And I only carry like my five or so best weapons at a time.

Edit: I guess there’s those racing missions where you can choose to go in your vehicle or hers. I just did the first one in her SUV and easily won; is it possible to win all of them just using hers?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 12, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, yesterday I tried playing the game in Japanese a bit. The female MC voice is way more badass in Japanese but I didn’t particularly like most of the others. And of course Keanu is Keanu.

I wish I could set it per character. The idea would totally be supported by the world since everyone has auto translators anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There is a hologram advertisement in Japan town that says “i’ve got something that can keep you hard for hours” if you’re a male MC and “I’ve got something that can keep you wet for hours” if they’re female. This is truly next gen game content.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

marshmallow creep posted:

What was your genital situation?
Actually, because I’m playing the Japanese version all that stuff is removed from the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Almost every part of the game world looks incredible, and also in lots of different distinctive styles so you know where you are (something seriously missing from a lot of open world games these days). It has many weaknesses but not that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

1. When is the newest patch?
2. Is this the most dissapointing/potential-wasted game since No Mans Sky's release?
To me that’s quite a comparison, since CP2077 employed like 10,000 people and NMS was like...fifteen?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can’t decide whether to keep playing this new character I made the other day, or wait until a couple more patches drop, if not DLC.

I felt that way about Final Fantasy 15 too. I started a game but then stopped and waited about a year through all their patches that added a drastic new gameplay stuff, and then finally decided to finish it. Sadly, I didn’t like it very much even then and just rushed through the end. I hope it isn’t like that with this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there really only one braindance cyber detective mission in the entire game and it’s in the first two hours? That part was fascinating unlike anything else in the game and then gone forever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

There are around 3-4.
Are the others at the end of Judy‘s quest line or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, I guess there’s a few of them that I never encountered.

Honestly after playing it at the beginning of the story mode, I wanted the game to be Judy’s Braindance Detective Service instead of what it was.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Witcher games have always had a big Geralt of Rivea: Monster Detective part to them and when I saw the BD editing I figured this game would feature that too, and it would become more complex and interesting as the game went on. It never did though. Just another disappointment on the pile.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really thought that CDPR was respected enough where they could just tell fans to trust them and not have to constantly make wild claims in order to build hype, but I guess in retrospect they weren’t there yet. At this rate they won’t ever be.

I’m trying to think of other developers that are in that position right now. BioWare used to be one of them but they screwed the pooch. Team Yakuza is, I think. Kojima productions maybe, even though they only have one game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hope that after the shellacking that we’ve seen with this game, a few more devs will decide to be brave and say both to their fans and their investors “our game won’t try to be everything to everyone, and it will be done when it’s done”.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is there any reason to spend time in V's apt beyond that required by quests
I was really confused that there wasn’t a record player in there to play all the records I’ve been collecting.

Or is there a way to buy one and put it in there that I don’t know? Or any other way to customize it at all?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kokoro Wish posted:

Spoilers for The Heist, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdssSLGCxlg

I like this little thing for some reason
I’d like to think that was deliberate and not just a bug, but is there evidence that it is?

I never learned much about who Adam Smasher was and what he wanted out of this whole thing. Is that information on some quest line, or maybe in a shard somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

itry posted:

Edit:

Yeah, I doubt that means anything. Smasher would've just blasted the entire thing without blinking.
Unless he wanted the chip to be stolen for whatever reason. I thought he would end up a much more developed character than he was. Unless, like I said, I just completely missed it in all the billions of shards randomly distributed through the world.