Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I know this is an unfair question but, ballpark, how much space do I need on my SSD for the game + all the day one update patch stuff? 100gb? MORE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Does (light attribute spoilers mb not even a real spoiler but jic) "Blades" up katana damage or just mantis blade damage? Is it melee damage that makes katanas better? Or does "Blades" and "Melee" affect katana damage in different ways?

Is this even known? I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague but I'm trying to get my build planning out of the way

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Good OP, but the Marx title was better.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

PC preload is up? Just on GOG I guess, Steam coming later today?

Why tf am I even hype about the preload.... release is going to make my heart explode...

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I sure wish I had a good way to hook my upstairs PC to my downstairs television so I could play on controller from the couch and my wife could share the joy of this hype monster

Wireless DisplayPort when?!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Delizin posted:

My wife doesn't play games, but some of these real cinematic ones she likes to watch. I use a steam link to play games on the TV from the opposite side of the house. I've got a Nvidia Shield now and I think it can stream games as well, but I've never tried it. I might play around and see if I can get that working for this game instead of the steam link.

I actually just saw that Steam Link can work on Samsung smart tvs... mine is old but i'm attempting to get it up now, would be pretty neato if it works

My wife loved watching RDR2, hope I can get something sorted in the next ***checks countdown*** 58 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Boooo my Samsung tv is too old for Steam Link BOOOOOOOOO

Is there another good way to stream games to a tv without tons of lag or should I just give up?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I gave it a good shake but still doesn't seem to be able to stream to my tv

Any other ideas?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you have a laptop or a raspberry pi 3 or newer, you can stream from your desktop to them. Steam can stream to other PC's with steam installed, or to the Steam Link app. You can probably do it with an Android phone, if your phone supports HDMI out from it's USB interface.

Yeah trying to get it to the tv specifically for wifey viewing, and I don't know enough to do anything with a raspberry pi 3 I don't even honestly really get what that is

Delizin posted:

Are you trying to use the steam link hardware or the Samsung steam link app? The hardware should just plug into the tv with an HDMI cable and connect to your router and controller/kb+m. It shouldn't matter how old the tv is in that case as long as it has an hdmi input.

If you're using the app, then I have no idea. That is uncharted waters for me.

I checked and my nvidia shield does let me stream games with the GeForce experience software. I figure I'll try to get that up and going tomorrow.

That is pretty clever. I never thought about using a raspberry pi for streaming games even though I've got a couple sitting around.

I don't have the hardware, I wanted to use the app but my Samsung "smart" tv is too old (e.g. not smart enough) to use the Steam Link app

Do you get a pretty lag-free/high quality image experience with the hardware on wifi? If so I may just pick one up for this exact purpose

I'm admittedly out of the loop re: Nvidia Shield, would this basically accomplish the same thing as the Steam Link hardware? Any quality difference streaming between the two?

dedian posted:

Do you have anything that moonlight (https://moonlight-stream.org/ - open implementation of nvidia game stream) would run on? I've used it for a few games on my fire tv stick and seems to work ok.

Sadly I do not womp wmop

wibble posted:

You can use Steam to stream almost any video game to your downstairs tv and use whatever controller you want...

Yes! The question now is how best to accomplish this

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Okay so Nvidia Shield is going to be my best experience streaming wirelessly from PC to television, true? Better than Steam Link hardware?

Also yay thread title is dead, long live thread title

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

In my experience, the Shield's stuff has always been better than Steam Link's.

Awesome thanks, one last follow up - for the purposes of streaming games only, is there any reason to get the Shield TV Pro over the regular Shield TV??

e: All I see is a lil more GPU memory and 16g onboard storage instead of 8g

I have no idea if this streaming thing is going to use the onboard GPU or not, if having a better one will improve lag/image?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

After further research it appears that my garbage wifi connection will make streaming over Nvidia Shield problematic womp womp guess wifey has to wait til I get a PS5 to watch my street kid gorilla arms run

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They sell 100' CAT-5 cables. :shrug:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Why not consider a wired setup, even if temporarily, if possible?

My man. I did this when my wife was out of town once and used some tape...she was not thrilled, but it worked and it’s a hilarious store to retell.

This is totally a great idea my bros but since this whole effort is for benefit of the wife, and the wife would be so mad to see a cable snaking through our entire house, seems like a dealbreaker

Also in a couple of months we're moving most of our chilling into a different room, where my desk + pc will also be, so I can just connect directly to the tv from my comp at that point and the shield will be moot

I think this is just a sign from the gods that my wife did something bad enough in a past life to not deserve to see me play CP2077 the day it releases

I'm sure she'll be crushed (every time I bring up this game she just says "oh my god another game?!" and i say "no babe it's still the same game it just hasn't come out yet")

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Twerkdad posted:

You don't have to buy it on GoG for the extra bonuses:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1335917207562358785

The only thing GoG gets you is a 30% physical store discount

Uhhhhh what are the in game rewards? This is the first I've heard of in-game anything from preorder or whatever

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

black.lion posted:

Uhhhhh what are the in game rewards?

Uhhhhh A WITCHER SWORD IS ONE?!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Twerkdad posted:

and a sword

but will the damage be affected by reflexes or body!??!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cyberpunk-2077/critic-reviews

92 on metacritic

game terrible where are my pitchforks

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

The real test is how someone's CP2077 score correlates to what they said about The Outer Worlds.

This - TOW was called a "masterpiece" by some and it was the most soulless cardboard feeling game I've played in awhile

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

IGN Japan gave it a perfect score

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

itry posted:

Is that meaningful?

Is anything happening in this thread rn meaningful?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Is there a way to rush and get the gravity gun? Wondering if I can kill all the bosses with 100% dildo projectiles

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

All these leaky opinions and still I have no idea what stat I'm supposed to pump to make my neon katana go snicker snack

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Reflex and Body. Reflex will get you more crit and body more stamina. Originally blades were on Reflex but they may have moved the skill tree, but you probably won't want to completely min/max just one stat by design because of the passive bonuses

You are a god among men!!! I was hoping that both body and reflex would have an effect because I really want my first playthru to be swordy but I want to do a high-body playthru later with gorilla arms and it would have been stupid if I was speccing the same way for both of those playthroughs so hooray game saved

This also works in that I want my first playthru to have some guns n poo poo too yay reflex!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I used to never be able to tell anything above 30 fps but I've been playing Overwatch at 120 fps for a few years and now my eyes protest at anything sub-100

My 2070S gonna be playing this game on low settings 1440p just to satisfy my fps snobbery

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I've been debating upgrading from my 1440p60hz monitor to a 120 or 144hz monitor next year but ugh that's the trappings I want to avoid lol.

Dude seriously it's so good you can't go back, so don't do it lmao it can't be undone

Manage your face's expectations

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Claes Oldenburger posted:

It's pretty nuts for sure. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but especially in FPS games you really notice the smoothing.

I played FPS games for my whole life at sub-60 fps, no complaints... now if I even attempt it I get a mild headache and I can't hit poo poo

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The good news about Cyberpunk is there's WAAAAY more skills than they hinted at in earlier previews.

Even if 3 goons were to all decide to build a character around Body, they could likely all come away with completely different skills and zero overlap in their build. There's that many options and priorities to be made.

This is a game where even if you do every side-quest you won't be able to get every perk.

Unnnfffff this is so entirely my game

So many playthrussss

HOOK IT TO MY VEINSSSSS

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I loved DE:MD and DE:HR and all, still love 'em, but I could have done with less broody "i didn't ask for this and neither did humanity" philosophizing

So I'm guessing respeccing is not a thing in this game, true? If so I'll be savescumming my build choices every inch of the way :getin:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

The polygon review has me legit considering not getting the game

I'm trans, and yet I defended the trans billboard in the game because it's 100% on brand for the genre and imo not offensive at all, but as that review says, putting in that but then not also having you meet any positive trans characters, plus the sheer WTF of the "feminine voice gets you female pronouns"... not a good look at all

I think they'll patch the pronoun thing and make it selectable, hopefully, but to even have a build like this is p. shameful

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others)?

I hear you on wanting positive trans characters 1000% (and I hope they're in there, hiding in the bajillion hours of sidequests that reviewers didn't have time to get to) but I took a moment to think back as if to say "yeah, like [that game]" but I drew a blank... what games have come out that really approached depicting trans persons, and of that list, which have done it well?

This is definitely not me saying "however CDPR have done it is good enough" and I hope that future updates address any issue the trans community may have with their portrayal in the game - just wondering if anyone before CDPR has done a good job of it and I'm not aware

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

I guess the criticism I'm hearing isn't that the game isn't heady, but that it's passing off 'edginess' as heady social commentary, but for some reviewers has ended up as just kind of obnoxious and annoying because it isn't actually saying anything of value.

This was my experience of the outer worlds; the writing in this game being as bad as the outer worlds is maybe one of the few things that could derail my enthusiasm

Please do not let it be so, please let the quest writing quality of Witcher 3 shine through!!!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Trans/NB characters have been handled very well in many games lately :confused:

The Missing
CrossCode
Spiritfarer
Horizon
hell even Apex Legends
Even Pathfinder:Kingmaker, the groggiest grog game to ever grog, lets you select any voice for any gender

Horizon: Zero Dawn? That's the only one on this list that I've played (didn't beat it) and don't recall any trans characters

Legit not trying to snark or gotcha at you, I want to check these games out now! Appreciated~

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think they mean player character.

I sort of meant yeah pc or at least somethign really central to teh game, but I like the answer i got anyhow :)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Endorph posted:

I mean, do you mean big tentpole AAA releases or all video games, ever.

I guess all, ever? Im asking for my own edification not to prove a point. I dont have a point!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Character RPG details: So you get stat points and perk points independently, and nothing says you have to put the skill perk points into the same categories you put your stat attribute points into. However, some of the skills do have a prerequisite level requirement. But this means for instance you can put all your points into Body and Reflexes but still grab a couple hacking skills, without having to level up Intelligence if you don't want to. Also, you can bank these, and one reviewer even mentioned saving up stat points until he hit a locked door with a stat requirement to get through, and then immediately dumping pooled points to level his stat to open the door.

very cool. Should be VERY open ended.

Dope these are the kinds of spoilers I like bc they save me time reading abt all this poo poo and remaking my character twenty times bc I can't commit to anything

So there's no respeccing either perk or stat points that we know of, correct?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Celexi posted:

That looks like series S not the one S

I know it's not an original thought but these microsoft naming conventions are flaming garbage

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Well don't worry everyone I've preloaded the game so I can confirm it does exist

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

OR DOES IT

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

rap music posted:

after launch the thread will probably turn into an echo chamber of being angry at the videogame because everyone else will be playing it

Thus is the fate of every good game's thread - after launch the only people left are the ones that are mad at the game or the ones having performance issues

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

You can still be excited abt your dick and tits!!! I know I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Twenty pages about how there are sooooo many dicks, plastic and rubber dicks, just everywhere

Five pages about how there aren't enough dicks

Three pages about why there couldn't be more dicks

GOTY